Thread: Overclocking
View Single Post
Old 5th June 2011, 15:25   #2
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw. Every individual CPU is different, there can be quite a bit of variance between batches and even in the same batch.

I've had 100%+ overclocks on air cooling using low end CPU's (Celeron E1200 1.6Ghz at 3.6, 24/7 LinX/Prime stable). On the other hand I had an Athlon XP2400+ that couldn't manage a 5% overclock (2Ghz stock, 2.08 was the best it could do and it wasn't a FSB issue with the board).

Either way, it's still free performance.

Something to remember when comparing results is that to some overclocking enthusiasts, practicality and functionality are secondary considerations to maximum speed and benchmark scores.

To some, to call an overclock stable might mean that everything is in a closed case, with a video card and other heat sources, using a heatsink/fan combo that's reasonably quiet, in a room that's at a comfortable temperature and able to run Prime/LinX etc. 24/7 without fault. That's my minimum requirement anyway.

To others, it might mean the motherboard is out on a bench or open case, isolated from other heat sources, large tower cooler with a couple of 120mm fans spinning at 3000+rpm (~65db) in a cold/cool room, only just able to run a single pass of 3dmark or 1m superpi.

My current i7 920 has been running at 4Ghz 24/7 for 18 months now, through 2 summers with several 40+ degree (celcius) days without a hitch. It's water cooled and was designed and built to be able to do that though.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote