• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aminifu
    Forum King
    • Aug 2011

Hi,

What was the balance control set to when the above screenshot was made? I can get a similar response with the plug-in I have (BJR Labs - Stereo Analog VU Meter (RMS) v1.50 [vis_vu.dll]) by moving the balance control slightly off center (left or right).

I admit I don't know how the VU meters and spectrum analyzers technically work. However, I do see differences in the spectrum analyzers in Victhor's Komodo skin. At first I thought they were mirrored responses, but under close inspection (using screenshots made while playing songs with distinct channel differences) I could see that they are not. Even if these stereo responses are not real or accurate, it is a nice bit of 'eye candy' that I've not seen utilized in any other skin.

Maybe it is the double mirroring you mentioned (or are you talking about the reflections?) or some sort of delay between their responses. I do see a section in the skin's "player-normal.xml" file that has different commands (e.g. ghost="1" and flipv="1") for 1 of the analyzers (which may support some kind of mirroring). Some time ago, I edited the "colorbandpeak=", "colorband*=", and "colorosc*=" commands so that each analyzer would use the same values for these commands (to see if it would make a difference). A few of the original values between the analyzers were different, iirc. I can compare what I've done to the original file if you think it matters.

I'm looking forward to checking out the dual VU meters in the next version of Quinto Black CT.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Quinto Black CT 1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	439.8 KB
ID:	4464477
    Last edited by Aminifu; 14 May 2017, 17:26.
    Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
    Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• PeterK.
      Quinto Black CT Developer
      • Sep 2016

The coming VU Meter Plug-In is getting in shape, I changed a bunch of things and made the whole bitmap a little bit more realistic. It looks much better now

And regarding Aminifu's wish for a "eye-candy-visualization" I could image to add another VU Meter but this time a digital one. Kind of like this one.

How do you like it?

P.S. Nice desktop!
      Attached Files
      Quinto Black CT

Comment

• Aminifu
        Forum King
        • Aug 2011

This skin already has a digital stereo VU meter. It's under the time elapsed/remaining on the main player (horizontal and without colors) as indicated in post #75 above. I suppose it won't hurt to add an option for another one (larger and more colorful). Narrow, side by side, digital meters do make it easier to notice channel differences (especially those with colors), but I like the analog style.

In addition to the 'eye candy', I also like spectrum analyzers because they provide a sort of visual aid when playing around with Winamp's equalizer options. I know these are only gross representations due to differences in bandwidths, number of bands, and other things. In the end, the best way to to adjust equalizers is by careful listening to what you hear, imo.

P.S.
        Thanx for the compliment on my desktop. When used with modern skins, that VU meter can only be placed on the lower left side of the screen. I'm still trying to decide on the Quinto Black CT windows arrangement I like best and how to incorporate the Waveform Seeker plug-in window.

Comment

• PeterK.
          • Sep 2016

Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
          This skin already has a digital stereo VU meter. It's under the time elapsed/remaining on the main player (horizontal and without colors) as indicated in post #75 above.
          I must say, you are an attentive reader. Yes, this is true. We already have a digital VU Meter, which is more a tiny "Nice-To-Have" than a "Eye-Candy-Visualization".
          I suppose it won't hurt to add an option for another one (larger and more colorful).
          Well, let's do it. I would be happy to add it to my skin.
          In addition to the 'eye candy', I also like spectrum analyzers
          One last word about these sSpectrum Analyzers. Right now I would not know where to put such additional visualization on my skin. In near future I could imagine to implement a new Max-Window-Option which would stretch across the entire desktop and provide the standard functionality (Album Art, Songinfo, Playbck Buttons etc). The intention behind this project is driven by the fact, that Quinto is too small for me on my new FullHD laptop. Adding a "Komodo-Like-Now-Playing-Window" would "kill two birds with one stone". It would still provide a regular/standard Skin for standard viewports (with approximately 96dpi) and give all users with high-resolution screens the opportunity to enjoy Winamp without complaining about too tiny graphic elements. As soon as there is such a window we would instantly have enough space for two nice Spectrum Analyzers.
          I'm still trying to decide on the Quinto Black CT windows arrangement
          I always use only one window: either PL or ML. You will find Playlist, Album-Cover and Playback buttons on both of them. Hence one of them should be sufficient. Don't you think?
          ...the Waveform Seeker plug-in window.
          I used to have it on my desktop but got tired of waiting while playing new songs.

I also noticed that the background color of the context menu sometimes changes its color and gets white. Is this a skin or Winamp related issue?

Attached Files
          Quinto Black CT

Comment

• ariszlo
            Major Dude
            • Jun 2015

Originally Posted by PeterK. View Post
            I also noticed that the background color of the context menu sometimes changes its color and gets white. Is this a skin or Winamp related issue?
            I have randomly seen it with other skins, too, so I believe it is Winamp related.
            Ariszló @ WinCustomize & DeviantArt

Comment

• PeterK.
              • Sep 2016

Originally Posted by ariszlo View Post
              I have randomly seen it with other skins, too, so I believe it is Winamp related.
              Well, we have another candidate for the inglorious Known-Bugs-Cabinet.
              Quinto Black CT

Comment

• Aminifu
                Forum King
                • Aug 2011

I always use only one window: either PL or ML. You will find Playlist, Album-Cover and Playback buttons on both of them. Hence one of them should be sufficient. Don't you think?
                The ML window would be enough, but I can't find a way to open a playlist editor panel in it. The attached image below is what I've decided to roll with for now. I have an old visualizer stacker plug-in which lets me run my VU meter and dancing girl visualizer plug-ins at the same time. However, I now need to run Winamp in administrator mode for the stacker to work, so it's great for me that the next version of Quinto will have built-in analog and digital VU meters.

I used to have it on my desktop but got tired of waiting while playing new songs.
                What version of Waveform Seeker were you using? Version 2.3.1 (updated by DrO) (https://getwacup.com/plugins/waveform_seeker/) will make a waveform in less than 3 seconds for files with < 10 minutes run time.

I agree with ariszlo that that is a Winamp bug. Good thing it's on a configuration window, much less distracting than the internal browser's scrollbars and their gray/white backgrounds when running Quinto on a Windows 10 machine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Quinto Black CT 2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	455.7 KB
ID:	4464484

P.S.
                Have you noticed the slight registration error between the white text and symbols (while pointing at them) and the black text and symbols (when not pointing) on the buttons? Look at the bottom edges (a little white is visible under the black).

Comment

• PeterK.
                  • Sep 2016

IT'S ALIVE!

My very first prototype of an external digital VU Meter is up and running!

So now we have two different (actually three) VU Meters. Two digital ones: the small one on the Main Player and the external VU Meter. And on top of that the analog VU Meter.

Please bear in mind that all three VU Meters generate their values totally differently. When set to "Mode Linear" the analog one gets "pure" volume units (VU) as digits from the range from 0 to 255 (which are generated by the getVULeftMeter() and getVURightMeter() commands) while the digital ones work with AnimatedLayers and which have to divide the volume units (VU) depending on the amount of frames in the bitmap file.

As a result we might not see perfectly accurate values/movements while monitoring and comparing all three displays. I repeat: these are not high definition measuring devices. Consider them more as "Nice-To-Have" Plug-Ins with some very nice "Eye-Candy-Effects".

Have you noticed the slight registration error between the white text and symbols (while pointing at them) and the black text and symbols (when not pointing) on the buttons? Look at the bottom edges (a little white is visible under the black).
                  I am a "visual type" Aminifu. You need to point to it so I see, understand and am able to give you a plausible answer. Okie Dokie?
                  Attached Files
                  Quinto Black CT

Comment

• Victhor
                    Late skinner & Moderator
                    • May 2003

· · Big Bento Modern

Comment

• Aminifu
                      Forum King
                      • Aug 2011

I am a "visual type" Aminifu. You need to point to it so I see, understand and am able to give you a plausible answer. Okie Dokie?
                      Click on that image of my desktop in post #82 above. A larger version will open in a new browser tab. Click on that image and it will get even larger. Then use the scroll bars to move to where you can see the playlist editor window. Look at the bottom edge of the words in the buttons (e.g. ADD, REMOVE, SELECT, etc.).

On the actual skin, when you point to any of these buttons, the color of the text changes from black to white. When you point away the black text returns, but it is slightly above the underlying white text. The same thing happens with the symbols on the player controls.

It's a minor thing. If you still don't see what I'm talking about, don't worry about it.

Great job on the VU meters.

Comment

• PeterK.
                        • Sep 2016

@Victhor: FINALLY! A "word" from admin! Yes, the dinosaurs are back!

... when you point to any of these buttons, the color of the text changes from black to white. When you point away the black text returns, but it is slightly above the underlying white text. The same thing happens with the symbols on the player controls.
                        Well, these are Buttons. Toggle Buttons. All toggle Buttons have three states: NORMAL, HOVER and PRESSED (clicked). The text in the NORMAL state is (sort of) cut out in the surface of the Button. And hence we have white lines at the bottom which represent the reflection of the light and a shadow, because there is a "hole" in the surface of that NORMAL Button. The second one, HOVER, has a "glowing" text in order to signalize the readiness for being clicked = the pointer of your mouse is exactly over the HOVER bitmap. Now you may make a click and will see the third state, namely the PRESSED (clicked) Button - which is - and I think this is not a surprise - dark because it lays deeper than the surface it is put in and gets (almost) no light in there.

So where is the "slight registration error"?

Attached Files
                        Quinto Black CT

Comment

• Aminifu
                          Forum King
                          • Aug 2011

So where is the "slight registration error"?
                          I should have realized that what I'm talking about is an intentional design choice. What you say represents the reflection of the light and a shadow for the Normal state look, looks to me like the bottom edge of each letter (and symbol) is cut off.

It is often said that art is in the eye of the beholder. For example, I would have used the yellow+white light effect used (4 places) in the song info bar of the main player for the digital VU meter power light, instead of the solid blue color. However 1 represents a LED and the others do not, imo. To me, they look more like the lights in vintage radio and stereo equipment. So never mind me, artistic choices are totally up to you. Carry on!

Comment

• PeterK.
                            • Sep 2016

I should have realized that what I'm talking about is an intentional design choice.
                            This is the technique which I was applying while creating those buttons.

Carry on!
                            Avec plaisir!
                            Quinto Black CT

Comment

• Aminifu
                              Forum King
                              • Aug 2011

Hi PeterK.,

Winamp has 3 ways to change the track run time from displaying the remaining time or the elapsed time. The keyboard "Ctrl+T" shortcut, the main context menu "Options" sub-menu commands, and by clicking on the run time in the main player window/panel.

I just noticed that only clicking on the run time in the main player window works in this skin. However, "Ctrl+T" does change what is enabled on the main context menu "Options" sub-menu.

Comment

• PeterK.
                                • Sep 2016

... I just noticed that only clicking on the run time in the main player window works in this skin. However, "Ctrl+T" does change what is enabled on the main context menu "Options" sub-menu.
                                The reason why you cannot use the context menu or keyboard shortcut is the oldtimer script which on one side shows an additional "0" in the running time but on the other "blocks/disables" the "switch option".

So yes, you can only switch from Time elapsed to Time remaining by clicking on the running time on the MainPlayer. I just do not know how to combine both features: additional "0" and working keyboard short cut. (and I do not want to delete the former one )
                                Quinto Black CT

Comment

Working...
                                X