View Single Post
Old 18th June 2008, 05:23   #10
Hichhiker

Quote:
Originally posted by tictox
[B]Thanks , can i ask a few more questions to clear things up?

How would this effect the shortcuts/exe's functionality in xp?

you mention $MY_SHORCUT_OR_EXE .. does this mean if you have an exe in programfiles and a shortcut to that on the desktop and start menu you only have to do it once for the exe and all shortcuts to that would be fixed or do i have to do it once for all shortcuts and for the exe .. exact details are crucial to not having to fart arse around guessing how it works
I experimented with this and it seems like if exe is set to run as admin, shortcuts automatically inherit it. I started off working on shortcuts, but it seems like doing exe is enough

Quote:

when you refer to

qoute:

"The only issue I still have is the running apps with "run-as-admin" automatically at login."

Are you refering to apps launched via a shortcut added to $SMSTARTUP ?? when windows bootsup?
My NSIS script does this:

code:

!insertmacro WriteRegStringIfUndef HKLM "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" \
"openvpn-gui" "$INSTDIR\bin\openvpn-gui.exe"
WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\layers" \
"$INSTDIR\bin\openvpn-gui.exe" "RUNASADMIN"

Which under XP start openvpn-gui when user logs in. Under Vista after reboot I get a message in system tray - "Windows has blocked some startup programs". I tried putting the shortcut in the startup folder - same thing. Looks like you cannot run "run as admin" programs automatically on login - which sucks.

-HH
Hichhiker is offline   Reply With Quote