• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Smelter
    Major Dude
    • Jan 2004

New Vp8 coder. v-0.9.5

Hey guys, the camjo was re-released with a couple small updates and most importantly, a new build of the vp8 codec.

more info here.

Also, added the first round of icecast server mount support. If you use nsv output , name the mount '*.nsv' or winamp will not play it as nsv. The icecast module also outputs plain audio. No title change action yet.
  • streamer45
    • Jul 2006

Nice job Smelter

Comment

• Smelter
      Major Dude
      • Jan 2004

Hey, thx

btw streamer45, Your red5 app was rebuilt and works mucho better.

hit me on skype.

Comment

• sigma_sigma
        • Dec 2004

Well, vp8 codec can be used with nsvcap thanks to nsv_coder_vp8.dll. I haven't tested yet but I think old nsvcap (from NSVtools_repack.exe) can broadcast via shoutcast without problems. I don't know what Vidcast.exe can do, looks to be a similar application like nsvcap. Unfortunately I don't have any camera in this PC to make some tests right now. The old vp62 encoder did his job several years, we hope that vp8 has a better image quality at the same video bitrate comparing with vp62. I'm using it since 2004 after I have discovered the solution here on winamp forums.
        We are waiting also a brand new version of NSVTOOLS, that one i'm using is the last build ever made, pls correct me if I'm wrong.
        Also in these years I couldn't find a proper solution to put the streaming in a web page.
        As far as I know, the only one player is Rava's made by AOL who can connect to a shoutcast server which is broadcasting vp62 content but is working with IE only without support for firefox or other browsers. Somebody told me that there is also a flash solution, never found it, never saw a live stream example in a web page (swf) somewhere.
        I've read also about red5 but i don't understand exactly what it does and seems to run under linux only http://red5.org/wiki/Install
        Anyway I was curios about this new vp8 codec and for a solution to mount a shoutcast stream into a web page power by a flash solution (even for vp62 if it works will be outstanding).
        My previous post here was several years ago so if I'll make this post into a wrong section please accept my apologies.

Comment

• Smelter
          Major Dude
          • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by sigma_sigma View Post
          Well, vp8 codec can be used with nsvcap thanks to nsv_coder_vp8.dll.
          Dont just thank me, Thank winamp for adding native support so no special dll are needed to watch.

I haven't tested yet but I think old nsvcap (from NSVtools_repack.exe) can broadcast via shoutcast without problems.
          Yes and is quite stable if you are satisfied with that solution and limited resolution and DV support.
          We are waiting also a brand new version of NSVTOOLS, that one i'm using is the last build ever made, pls correct me if I'm wrong.
          There are no NSVTools forthcoming from AOL/Winamp. Winamp will point to my encoder for NSV video encoding and broadcasting when I feel it is stable enough.

Also in these years I couldn't find a proper solution to put the streaming in a web page.
          As far as I know, the only one player is Rava's made by AOL who can connect to a shoutcast server which is broadcasting vp62 content but is working with IE only without support for firefox or other browsers. Somebody told me that there is also a flash solution, never found it, never saw a live stream example in a web page (swf) somewhere.
          I've read also about red5 but i don't understand exactly what it does and seems to run under linux only http://red5.org/wiki/Install
          Red5 runs on windows and linux, and provides flash playback of NSV.
          Anyway I was curios about this new vp8 codec and for a solution to mount a shoutcast stream into a web page power by a flash solution (even for vp62 if it works will be outstanding).
          My previous post here was several years ago so if I'll make this post into a wrong section please accept my apologies.
          Here is flash player that connects to shoutcast server and even supports AACp and H264.

Comment

• sigma_sigma
            • Dec 2004

Thanks so much. I've tried vp8 under nsvtools and is working very nice via shoutcast. Very interesting latest verion of camjo but is working only with icecast. After the transmission is started camjo can connect to icecast but unfortunately winamp client not. I wasn't able to connect to the stream with winamp using the standard url like http://server_ip:8000;stream.nsv, nothing happens.....is trying to connect for ~one second and suddenly gives up.
            Any solutions? Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Smelter
              Major Dude
              • Jan 2004

sorry, My fault. I broke it.

Ill fix it soon,

Comment

• sigma_sigma
                • Dec 2004

We are waiting the new version, nice work Smelter!

Comment

• oLRi
                  • May 2008

Will your red5 app oder thundersnow support vp8?

Comment

• Smelter
                    Major Dude
                    • Jan 2004

no until I get the alchemy version or create the alchemy version myself. cygwin anyone?

Comment

• oLRi
                      • May 2008

Originally Posted by Smelter View Post
                      cygwin anyone?
                      I do.

I tried also to create a vp8 coder dll by myself. Tried it with the samples from the nsv sdk, can you post the visual studio source from your coder dll?

Played arround with your vp8 coder dll...found some "bugs":
                      - VLC plays VP8 Stream but the picture is 180° inverted
                      - ffmpeg can't decode an vp8 nsv stream, error messge: Invalid (unknown) pixel format
                      Last edited by oLRi; 25 February 2011, 12:29.

Comment

• Smelter
                        Major Dude
                        • Jan 2004

Extract the the codec source from http://www.webmproject.org/tools/vp8-sdk/ to the 'includes' directory.

Configure the project settings to the correct includes.

On your flipping.... So then, you'll have to flip/unflip the image output, which is unflipped I think, and set/unset the coder_dll flip flag. Winamp is not flipped at this time, so flip the output and toggle the flip flag. Winamp will still be right side up then.

Also check versions. 'Flip' shouldn't change between versions, but output can look funny. This was 9.5 from january.

Comment

• oLRi
                          • May 2008

Sooooooo.....

I changed:
                          code:
                          RGBtoYUV420PSameSize((const unsigned char *)in,raw.img_data,4,0,cfg.g_w,cfg.g_h);
                          to:
                          code:
                          RGBtoYUV420PSameSize((const unsigned char *)in,raw.img_data,4,1,cfg.g_w,cfg.g_h);
                          the 1/0 is the toggle for flipping.

When i use a coder.dll with this settings my VLC Stream is correct, but now my winamp stream is fliped.

But i think i am missing this:
                          so flip the output
                          how can i do this?

Comment

• Smelter
                            Major Dude
                            • Jan 2004

Oh shit, you're right! the flip flag is in the decoder, and that is now built in to winamp core!

We can ask winamp team to flip nsv video for vp8 and It would probably be in the next release

Comment

• oLRi
                              • May 2008

So there is no possibility to compile a coder.dll with vp8 which has a "normal" picture in vlc (and other clients) AND winamp at the same time?

So the only thing i can do is build a dll for "winamp viewers" and "other viewers"?

Comment

Working...
                              X