View Single Post
Old 18th March 2011, 18:17   #8
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

If you think about it, your actions make sense. You have given rights to users on the local PC to access the files via the Security Tab.

And you give rights to network users via the Sharing tab. Those then work together.

This way it allows you to allow a locally logged in user more rights when they are sitting on the PC, and less rights when they are logging in remotely.

=+=+

Notice you don't need to set it to "everyone", as long as you know the usernames of the PCs logging into your network.

For example: I have a user "Mark" and a user "Debs" in the house. When Debs connects from her laptop, it uses the laptop User of "Debs" to connect. As long as I have a user called "Debs" setup on the server, with the SAME password as the laptop, then I can set different rights for "Debs". (I do this to allow READ-ONLY access for Debs, but WRITE access for Mark)

You should be able to get the rights to propagate down the permissions tree automatically.

=+=+

And for bonus points... when I set up the "Mark" and "Debs" user accounts on the server, I use the User Manager to change the user groups they are in. I remove them from the group called "USERS" or "ADMINISTRATORS" so they are actually in NO local groups. This stops accounts from being created on the server, and avoids the username appearing on the login screen of the server.

I then go to my Music Folder on the server and add "Debs" and "Mark" into the music folder's Sharing and Security tabs. I set "Mark" to have full WRITE access, and leave "Debs" on "READ" access.

This solution now means I have direct control over what each user can do without letting those users login to my server.

(In this case the "server" can be a simple XP Pro PC. In reality I use Server 2003, soon to upgrade to Server 2008. Principle is the same though)
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote