View Single Post
Old 26th November 2001, 01:42   #33
izchan
Major Dude

Send a message via Yahoo to izchan
A poetic discussion ...

Sorry for the silence in the last two days, was back in my home town and I made it a point not to be on the net during those times.

I see that we have some new people among us in the thread and contributing, thank you and welcomed.

Xerxes, your poem is a bit out of my league but it was a nice reading. Would you care to explain it for me a little? It is part of a play is it?

Namloos, wow ... is that the first thing that comes to mind when you wrote the poem? if it is, then you portray your struggles very vividly. I do hope that you keep on writting, because I found that writing poems releases the tension in our lives, and gives us hope and meaning to follow on. Sometimes, death is not the only way out.

As for the poetic discussion of frost's 'Road less Traveled', well, I find that it is a bit of a challenge to decide whether his poem is as good as they say. I have read the poem a long time ago, and during that time, it did not hold much meaning to me, but today while reading it again, it seems different but profoundly familiar, because I can see the link to the words in my heart.

Personally, I feel any poem that can ignite a fire of passion and thoughts are poems that are good. Because in my humble opinion, that is what litterature is about. Art is about making people feel and dream and link with it, it is almost like a relationship between two people.

I understand where Nemesis is going with his thoughts, and I agree with him on some terms, we are all different and have different preference. He like decisive poetry where the meaning of a poem is not so open to interpretation, the poems must mean exactly what the poet wants us to see and hear. Poems like these are clear and to the point, it gives a sense of ONE-ness when it is being read.

Where 'The Road Less Traveled' lets the readers put their experience or meaning into the words, in whatever way that feel it to be. It has its merits, but is totally based on the readers experience in life. Like me, when I first read it, it had no visible link to my life, but now after some ups and down, where tears are found, his words does bring out those memories, because those are what I feel and he successfully pull those strings.

The richness of a poems words are sometimes dilutted because of the experience of the poets wisdom and experience, thus for whatever reason that might be, a poem will live and die by the poets hands.

If you look at it, even the method that frost wrote his poems can be explained with this particular poems of his, he took the road less traveled and made people think about it. Does that mean the poem has only one meaning to it? No, it is open to interpretation, it is up to us to feel what we feel using these 'simple' words, where millions have read and felt differently everytime they read it.

ROAD LESS TRAVELED

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth

Then took the other as just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same

And both that morning equally lay