Yet Another (WA)SAPI Output Plugin for Winamp (YASAPI)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pbelkner
    • Jun 2010

Yet Another (WA)SAPI Output Plugin for Winamp (YASAPI)

The "Yet Another (WA)SAPI Output Plugin for Winamp" (YASAPI) utilizes the "Windows Audio Session API" (WASAPI). WASAPI's exclusive mode for rendering audio is a native way on Windows to render audio undisturbed, similar to Steinberg's "Audio Stream Input/Output" (ASIO). The YASAPI output plugin may serve as a replacement for any other Winamp output plugin.
    Please let me know whether it works for you and which problems you're facing.
    Winamp v5.666 Build 3516 (x86) + in_ffsox + out_yasapi + gen_yas
  • A11ectis
    • Apr 2014

Causing major audio distortion at default 1.5x buffer. At max, 4.0x buffer, I get popping throughout the Bjork songs I tested with.
    Twitter

Comment

• pbelkner
      • Jun 2010

Originally Posted by A11ectis View Post
      At max, 4.0x buffer, I get popping throughout the Bjork songs I tested with.
      In the configuration dialog, I've allowed temporarily the size of the ring buffer up to 10 times the minimal size of the buffer WASAPI shares with the audio device:Could yo give it a try?

Comment

• pbelkner
        • Jun 2010

At max, 4.0x buffer, I get popping throughout the Bjork songs I tested with.
        In the meantime I also created a SSE2 version: http://out-yasapi.sourceforge.net/up...-sse2-0.1.1.7z

Comment

• Aminifu
          Forum King
          • Aug 2011

Both versions of your plug-in fail to work in my configuration. When starting playback, I get a YASAPI error message that says "AUDCLNT_E_UNSUPPORTED_FORMAT". Then when I click ok, to acknowledge the error message, Winamp crashes leaving "winamp.exe" running in the background.

I think this happens because I'm using another plug-in just ahead of yours in my processing chain. This other plug-in (Matrix Mixer) up-samples the decoded mp3 stereo input signal ([email protected]) to 24bits@96KHz (to match my soundcard driver format settings) and up-mixes the stereo channels to 6 channels (to match my soundcard driver channel settings for my 5.1 speaker system).

If I'm right, which part or parts of the input signal is/are not compatible with your plug-in?

I can let Windows do the up-sampling and up-mixing (to match my soundcard driver settings), but it didn't sound as good as when doing the processing in Winamp. Of course I can change my soundcard driver settings to match the source material, but I'd rather use the full capabilities of my soundcard and speakers. The only WASAPI plug-in I've found that worked for me (and provided the up-sampling and up-mixing that I want) is the abandoned "Maiko" output plug-in. I had to stop using Maiko because the last version released causes problems with the "Jump to File Extra" plug-in.

So I'm back to using Matrix Mixer and the official DirectSound output plug-in to get the processing that I want (what I was using before finding Maiko), but this combo only supports shared mode. Maiko's exclusive mode sounded noticeably better and I was hoping your plug-in would too.
          Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
          Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

• A11ectis
            • Apr 2014

Originally Posted by pbelkner View Post
            Got up to 4.9x buffer and Bjork stopped popping during playback. Even though I use FLAC, I'm not really an audiophile. So I am assuming the audio is not defected in any other obvious manner.

EDIT: Are there any plans to have the volume slider in Winamp work with YASAPI? I noticed that the out_asio plugin also does not have volume control. Is this just a limitation with these sorts of plugins?
            Twitter

Comment

• Raj_09
              • Oct 2011

Got up to 4.9x buffer and Bjork stopped popping during playback. Even though I use FLAC, I'm not really an audiophile. So I am assuming the audio is not defected in any other obvious manner.

EDIT: Are there any plans to have the volume slider in Winamp work with YASAPI? I noticed that the out_asio plugin also does not have volume control. Is this just a limitation with these sorts of plugins?
              I increased my buffer to 5x as it was not playing at the default buffer size. It is working now - ploughing through my mp3 collections. No issues to report yet and using the sse2 version
              Powering through with the bolt

Comment

• pbelkner
                • Jun 2010

v0.2.0

@all:

Many thanks for the valuable feedback!

Most likely the distortion and popping results from ring buffer underflow. That's why you could resolve this by simply enlarging the buffer. But there is not only the size which may lead to to the buffer drying out. The new version lets you configure some of the possiblities:

You have the following relation between the parameters regarding buffer sizes:
                minimum size of the buffer shared with the device (provided by WASAPI) <= size of buffer shared with the device <= number of samples in the ring buffer before start playing <= size of ring buffer

Are there any plans to have the volume slider in Winamp work with YASAPI? I noticed that the out_asio plugin also does not have volume control. Is this just a limitation with these sorts of plugins?
                I think it is possible. The respective checkbox is already there

Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
                Both versions of your plug-in fail to work in my configuration. When starting playback, I get a YASAPI error message that says "AUDCLNT_E_UNSUPPORTED_FORMAT".
                This is just a 1:1 report of an error resulting from a call to the IsFormatSupported method of the IAudioClient interface. It means that your audio device doesn't support the format (number of channels, sample frequency, bits per sample) you're going to play.

For convenience, here are the links to the new 0.2.0 version:

Comment

• ravermeister
                  • Feb 2009

@all:
                  Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
                  Both versions of your plug-in fail to work in my configuration. When starting playback, I get a YASAPI error message that says "AUDCLNT_E_UNSUPPORTED_FORMAT".
                  This is just a 1:1 report of an error resulting from a call to the IsFormatSupported method of the IAudioClient interface. It means that your audio device doesn't support the format (number of channels, sample frequency, bits per sample) you're going to play.
                  I get exactly the Same error Message, and the Maiko Wasapi plugin plays just fine. (using your in_ffsox too)

My Soundcard is configured as 5.1 and my MP3's of course are Stereo,
                  so in some way the error message would make sense,
                  but for the stereo upmixing there is a function from Creative called CMSS3D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster_X-Fi#CMSS-3D
                  and even from Dolby called Dolby Digital Live or Dolby DTS.
                  and even the maiko wasapi plugin provides such a functionality (I personly Like this one the most)

I really like your in_ffsox plugin, it is working like a charm (except MP3 ID3 support )
                  but this plugin does not work for me
                  lastfm.rimkus.it - last.fm Youtube Radio (buy me)
                  www.rimkus.it - Contact Music & More

Comment

• pbelkner
                    • Jun 2010

Originally Posted by ravermeister View Post
                    I get exactly the Same error Message, and the Maiko Wasapi plugin plays just fine.
                    In Maiko, do you use exclusive or shared mode?

Comment

• ravermeister
                      • Feb 2009

currently I use exclusive mode,
                      but both of them are working
                      lastfm.rimkus.it - last.fm Youtube Radio (buy me)
                      www.rimkus.it - Contact Music & More

Comment

• A11ectis
                        • Apr 2014

Hah, seems like I'm the only one without issues (yet). Bumped up the ring buffer to 5.0x from 4.9x after some further testing. Everything looks golden here.
                        Twitter

Comment

• pbelkner
                          • Jun 2010

v0.2.1

Originally Posted by ravermeister View Post
                          I get exactly the Same error Message, and the Maiko Wasapi plugin plays just fine.(
                          Could you please try the new version? It not only provides the bare Component Object Model (COM) error but also the file and the line number where it occurs. Could you please let me know file and line number?

Comment

• pbelkner
                            • Jun 2010

Hah, seems like I'm the only one without issues (yet).
                            Not to forget me

Comment

• Aminifu
                              Forum King
                              • Aug 2011

How does your plug-in determine the audio device to use? I have more than one installed, but the one selected for Windows and in Winamp's DirectSound output plug-in (i.e. my soundcard) plays the up-sampled and up-mixed mp3 files just fine. I'm running Windows 7 and those links you provided are a bit over my head. Maybe I should try shared mode, but that would defeat my purpose.

I will wait for ravermeister's results before trying your latest version. Cleaning up after crashes is a bit of a hassle.
                              Winamp v5.9.2.10042 - Quinto Black CT v4.1 skin
                              Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Comment

Working...
                              X