View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2016, 18:00   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

I have been testing version 1.3.551.38 for the last week on version 1511 of Windows 10 Home 64-bit. It is very fast and so far has been running without any problems. It came with 3 default plugins (2 for pdf viewing and 1 for enabling Widevine licenses for viewing html video) and no extensions. I did have to install the Chrome Flash plugin in order to play Flash videos on some of the websites I frequent.

Be careful adding extensions and plugins. As Dr.Flay says, in addition to the main app, a separate background process (using various amounts of memory) is ran for every extension, plugin, and open tab you use. The memory associated with a tab is released when a tab is closed. But it appears that even when an extension or plugin is disabled, a small amount of memory is still used for each one that is installed. Vivaldi does not provide a way to uninstall an extension or plugin from within the browser itself. You have to find the folders where they are installed and delete the appropriate files manually.

I already had an app for PDFs, so I wanted to remove Vivaldi's PDF plugins and discovered that I could only disable them. Disabled, they still use less than a megabyte of memory on my computer, so it's not worth looking for and deleting the appropriate files in this case. It may be different for other disabled extensions or plugins.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Last edited by Aminifu; 3rd September 2016 at 19:19.
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote