DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Winamp 5.541 Released

Winamp 5.541, Build 2165

Winamp 5.541 Full (US English version)
Winamp 5.541 Full (Multi-national installer)*
Winamp 5.541 Pro (Multi-national version, asks for key during install)*
Winamp 5.541 Lite (basic 2.x-style mp3/cd player)
* (French, German, Italian, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Korean, Japanese, Chinese languages)

Winamp 5.541
* Improved: [pmp_ipod] Better auto-detection of newer iPod models
* Fixed: Filetype icons in Windows Explorer not updating when changed in Prefs
* Fixed: ML & Vis appear under other overlapping modern skin windows
* Fixed: No error message when trying to edit metadata for Read-Only files
* Fixed: Potential security vulnerability in NowPlaying
* Fixed: [gen_ff] Keyboard shortcuts in modern skin playlist windowshade mode
* Fixed: [gen_ml] Scrolling to bottom of AlbumArt pane & other misc scrollbar issues
* Fixed: [in_mp3] Broken '307 - Temporary Redirect' url's
* Fixed: [ml_local] AlbumArt icon selection glitch
* Fixed: [ml_playlists] Play and Enqueue actions reversed if Enqueue is set as default
* Fixed: [ml_rg] ReplayGain analysis of 20bit files
* Misc: Double-click Modern pledit songticker now toggles windowshade mode again
* Misc: More miscellaneous general tweaks, improvements, fixes and optimizations

Notes:

Winamp 5.541 is essentially a maintenance release.

Reporting Bugs:

Please report all bugs in the Bug Reports forum!
Make sure your report is complete, according to the sticky threads in Bug Reports, ie.
Clean install, no 3rd-party plugins, list of plugins, full step-by-step method of reproduction, relevant system specs, exact error messages, screenshots, which skin (one of Classic, Modern, or Bento only, or all three), links to sample files, etc.
If error reports, screenshots, sample files, etc are smaller than 200kb, then please attach them to your post. Otherwise, please upload to one of stashbox.org, mediafire.com, or sendspace.com and post the url here (no rapidshare or imageshack or similar links please).
Note that incomplete/lame bug reports may be totally ignored.

Known Bugs/Issues:

1. The new NowPlaying & ML InfoView pane might be a bit buggy. Note that these issues are constantly being worked on serverside.

2. Some of the lang pack translations might not be fully up-to-date.
The new Japanese translation may not be fully accurate.
There will hopefully be a Swedish wlz update posted here at some point later.
We are looking for volunteers to maintain the Swedish, Italian & Japanese packs...

3. Please also check the Known Bugs thread for more.

Updates & Extras:

Winamp Essentials 5.541 | Mirror1 | Mirror2
* Updated: [gen_find_on_disk] Find file on Disk to v1.58
* Updated: [Installer] to NSIS v2.38.1 (Unicode)
* Otherwise, same as 5.54 EP
* Full changelog

ML Database Import/Export Manager
Newer than the version in the EP (info)

12th Sep 2008: Build 2189 uploaded to download server
The only difference between build 2189 and 2165 is an added Turkish installer translation and language pack (winamp_tr-tr.wlz)

Winamp 5.541 MPEG4 Audio Decoder v1.9 Update Patch
5th Dec 2008: Fixes two known bugs

Old Winamp 5.53 Beta thread
Old Winamp 5.52 Released thread
Old Winamp 5.51 Released thread

Old Winamp 5.51 Beta thread
Old Winamp 5.5 Released thread
Old Winamp 5.5 Beta Preview 3 thread
Old Winamp 5.5 Beta Preview 2 thread
Old Winamp 5.5 Beta Preview 1 thread
Old Winamp 5.36 Beta Preview thread
Old Winamp 5.35 Released thread
Old 4th August 2008, 20:30   #2
TheUniqueTiger

A new version so fast! Thanks! Keep it up devs!

You have only One Life... So before You are History, make sure you get into History books. - TheUniqueTiger
My personal website, HiFiBB ... Simply Hifi!, HiFiBB
TheUniqueTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 20:35   #3
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Nice

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 20:54   #4
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

I just informed Kn0tte of this new release so I'm sure he'll be posting here shortly to begin his critiquing and offering everyone his detailed evaluations and reviews.

C'mon in Kn0tte!! We iz awaitin fer ya!

btw... so far so good. A nice stable release IMHO!
Old 4th August 2008, 21:06   #5
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Re: Winamp 5.541 Released

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Winamp 5.541, Build 2165

Winamp 5.541
* Misc: Double-click Modern pledit songticker now toggles windowshade mode again
WOW! Another great release!
The windowshade mode fix was something that I wanted to mention, but I thought it was too miniscule to do so. Thanks for changing it back!
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 21:07   #6
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Heh, you are awaiting me? :P
What can I say? A GOOD RELEASE

Though I wonder why was this changed to 5.541, and not 5.55 which the beta said? :P
Kn0tte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 21:09   #7
Juanus
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Kn0tte
Though I wonder why was this changed to 5.541, and not 5.55 which the beta said? :P
We have a saying here... "Never look a gift Llama in the mouth!"

If you are not happy, I am sure that the Devs can change it back to the way it was before.
Old 4th August 2008, 21:11   #8
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Juanus: I just asked, ok? Its fine for me.

Now lets go Winamp'ing here!
Old 4th August 2008, 21:54   #9
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Quote:
Look at Egg's first post above, Kn0tte...

Winamp 5.541 is essentially a maintenance release.

Road-test it hard Kn0tte (as usual).
We're looking forward to your input, as always.
Old 4th August 2008, 23:14   #10
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Essentials Pack links above were updated to fix an issue in license file and it now includes an updated Russian language file.

-Chris
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 00:10   #11
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Nunzio390:
You dont like my testing, finding bugs and reporting them? Heh :P

My input/opinion is:
Winamp 5.541 is the best release/version ever made (so far). You have done a great job guys! I hope you have a little party celebrating how far you have comed with Winamp. You deserve it! ..5.541 is a version that..works so well. I love it
Keep up the good work guys!!
Old 5th August 2008, 00:59   #12
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Quote:
Nunzio390:
You dont like my testing, finding bugs and reporting them? Heh :P
On the contrary - at times you bring up some valid points and at other times, I get a "kick" out of your responses/replies.

But I am glad to hear that you think Winamp 5.541 is the best release/version ever made (so far).
Old 5th August 2008, 02:10   #13
Zulithe

Bug? Just upgraded to this version (did an upgrade install, not clean). after the upgrade i opened winamp, then i double-clicked a m3u file from my torrent client and it launched a second instance of winamp even though I do not have 'allow multiple instances' checked in winamp options.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 04:09   #14
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by Zulithe
Bug? Just upgraded to this version (did an upgrade install, not clean). after the upgrade i opened winamp, then i double-clicked a m3u file from my torrent client and it launched a second instance of winamp even though I do not have 'allow multiple instances' checked in winamp options.
If you are running Vista, you will experience this problem immediately after installing. Close Winamp and re-open via the start menu (not winamp agent in the system tray) and all should be OK.

This is part of Vista's new security scheme and a byproduct of requiring administrator privileges for installation.
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 07:16   #15
timt1978

No luck for me, 5.541 still uses +100MB of Ram at an idle state.
timt1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 12:23   #16
Alpha2k6

Quote:
Originally posted by timt1978
No luck for me, 5.541 still uses +100MB of Ram at an idle state.
Its starting at 34MB but after clickin on a playlist it increases slightly.. clicking around on different playlists got it up to 38MB, even clicking on the same playlist over and over it did increase its memory..

OS Windows Vista Ultimate x64
All playlist where using flac files if that does matter..
using modern skin.

Did install Winamp 5.541 Full over the old 5.54.

only plugins installed is
Album List Version 2.06
Winamp Essentials v5.541

so is this normal behavior or a slight memory leak ?
imo 38MB isnt much.. but perhaps timt1978 have been using it all day to get to 100MB ??
Alpha2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 13:18   #17
Logy

i think for winamp version 5.55 deserves for it (magical) number, dev teams must surprise us with new features.... along side bugsfixes and improvements!!!!

Have a nice coding and day dev teams!!!

that my 2 cent...

The English suffix -logy denotes a field of study or academic discipline.
Logy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 16:27   #18
timt1978

Ok heres some more details.
When I open Winamp it uses around 80MB.
When I open the Media Library it uses 100+MB.
When I minimize Winamp it drops down to 5MB.
If I keep it minimized for a couple of minutes and then open it agian, it uses around 50MB-60MB with and without the ML and slowly rises.

I've tried going in to the options and lowering the priorty to Idle, but it does'nt change anything.
timt1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 16:39   #19
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I really fail to see the point about the RAM usage discussion.

I've played with 1by1 in the last days, it's known as one of the resource friendly players.

I've played a folder with ~40 files in 1by1, and it even uses ~20MB RAM, but it lacks many features, which are present in winamp.

The more files you have in your library, the more RAM Winamp will use. Generally, it's never more than 60MB when the library is open, but I've tons of 3rd party plug-ins, a huge library (~15K files), modern skin and many files, with different file formats in my playlist. If I'm playing a normal playlist (eg. 60 files) and minimize Winamp to the systray, it uses < 8MB. CPU usage is always < 1%.

That the Windows Taskmanager isn't the best program to see "real" RAM usage it's already known.

So my real question is, what some people expect. Does anybody care about programs like Firefox, which uses 80MB or more for just a few opened tabs? Has anybody seen, how much RAM WMP or iTunes use?

Sure Foobar's RAM usage is a lil' bit lower, but Foobar is ugly as hell and if you customize it, so that it has some eye candy, RAM usage will increase too. The price of a nice GUI it is.

Well, I've the feeling, that some of these guys are the kind of human, who spend tons of money for the fastest gaming PC and moan about RAM usage in programs.

It's logical, more file in your playlist and library need more RAM, but this is no Winamp problem, it's a "problem",w hich all players have.

The other thing is, that some forums are no longer readable, because of the "bloated" discussion. Foobar, Aimp etc are perfect and Winamp is more and more bloated.

Winamp has a wonderful optional plugin system, you can simply uncheck in installer, what you don't need.

I havn't seen such a good feature in WMP, iTunes or RealPlayer.

I'm personally not using any of the Online stuff in the library, so i simply uncheck it.

And sure, I'm not a big fan of the Toolbar/Remote page in the installer too, but is it really so hard to read an installer, before clicking "Next" as fast as possible?

The last thing are the 2.9x hardcore users, which swear, that this is the only good version, which isn't bloated and much better than 5.x is. Well, in my eyes, these are just trolls, everybody, who does know a lil' bit about Winamp is aware, that if you uncheck the new stuff in 5.x (or just install 5.x lite), that you then have 2.9x, just with less bugs and less security holes.

Just my 2 Cent.

Oh and just to make some thing clear, I'm a Winamp user for many years now. I've used most of the 2.x builds. I don't need all the new stuff in Winamp too and I disagree with some shit too. I never would use features like Now Playing or Winamp Remote. But it doesn't change the fact, that Winamp is still one of the best, high configurable, and flexible players, which are aviable in the web.

Last edited by Koopa; 5th August 2008 at 16:59.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 17:32   #20
robdog2004
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to robdog2004 Send a message via Yahoo to robdog2004
i agree with koop for most of the stuff now i do admit i use itunes and real but only use them for there intended purpose i use itunes since my ipod was already synced with the program (can sync with winamp without formatting the whole player) and i only use real player to make audio cds that are compatible with all cd players (cd-r compatible and not)(something of how it writes the cd table of content) now as for other players i use the mplayer (not the windows media) for video (only when i want a frame by frame view) so i can freeze frame some videos (since some go by too fast) but all other music programs (in my opinion) are worthless or at least overpriced
winamp definetely has better options you have better vis options (look at real player you only have 4 options with free version and on top of that you cant edit them) now windows media has a quite a few but you cant randomize them like winamp and itunes only has 1 stupid one
and none of the players have as good of a crossfade (for free) as winamp
now as far as mem usage if you have over 1gig of mem to begin with quit complaining if you have less and you have more slots open go ahead and get more the most it will cost you is $200 for a decent stick
now as far as cpu usage there is no accurate way to calculate how much it uses since the processor doesnt always run at the speed the case or manual says (this is just a average speed) and it also depends on what you have running in your processes if you are always seeing a 100% cpu usage might want to check for other programs that are frozen (now i do admit when transcoding mp3s or ripping/burning cds will use more processor but will free up when done)

thanks rob
(c)rob 2013 (picture & SN)

(please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having
robdog2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 17:43   #21
robdog2004
Major Dude

i dont see how this mem thing is a problem mine stays below 60mb all the time and i have everything loaded

my browser uses more mem than winamp does

thanks rob

(please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having
Old 5th August 2008, 18:05   #22
Juanus
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Koopatrooper
I really fail to see the point about the RAM usage discussion.

I've played with 1by1 in the last days, it's known as one of the resource friendly players.

I've played a folder with ~40 files in 1by1, and it even uses ~20MB RAM, but it lacks many features, which are present in winamp.

The more files you have in your library, the more RAM Winamp will use. Generally, it's never more than 60MB when the library is open, but I've tons of 3rd party plug-ins, a huge library (~15K files), modern skin and many files, with different file formats in my playlist. If I'm playing a normal playlist (eg. 60 files) and minimize Winamp to the systray, it uses < 8MB. CPU usage is always < 1%.

That the Windows Taskmanager isn't the best program to see "real" RAM usage it's already known.

So my real question is, what some people expect. Does anybody care about programs like Firefox, which uses 80MB or more for just a few opened tabs? Has anybody seen, how much RAM WMP or iTunes use?

Sure Foobar's RAM usage is a lil' bit lower, but Foobar is ugly as hell and if you customize it, so that it has some eye candy, RAM usage will increase too. The price of a nice GUI it is.

Well, I've the feeling, that some of these guys are the kind of human, who spend tons of money for the fastest gaming PC and moan about RAM usage in programs.

It's logical, more file in your playlist and library need more RAM, but this is no Winamp problem, it's a "problem",w hich all players have.

The other thing is, that some forums are no longer readable, because of the "bloated" discussion. Foobar, Aimp etc are perfect and Winamp is more and more bloated.

Winamp has a wonderful optional plugin system, you can simply uncheck in installer, what you don't need.

I havn't seen such a good feature in WMP, iTunes or RealPlayer.

I'm personally not using any of the Online stuff in the library, so i simply uncheck it.

And sure, I'm not a big fan of the Toolbar/Remote page in the installer too, but is it really so hard to read an installer, before clicking "Next" as fast as possible?

The last thing are the 2.9x hardcore users, which swear, that this is the only good version, which isn't bloated and much better than 5.x is. Well, in my eyes, these are just trolls, everybody, who does know a lil' bit about Winamp is aware, that if you uncheck the new stuff in 5.x (or just install 5.x lite), that you then have 2.9x, just with less bugs and less security holes.

Just my 2 Cent.

Oh and just to make some thing clear, I'm a Winamp user for many years now. I've used most of the 2.x builds. I don't need all the new stuff in Winamp too and I disagree with some shit too. I never would use features like Now Playing or Winamp Remote. But it doesn't change the fact, that Winamp is still one of the best, high configurable, and flexible players, which are aviable in the web.
Quoted for truth
Old 5th August 2008, 18:41   #23
soulstace

Hi all.

Thanks for the new release!

I have a small issue I wish to report. I am not sure if it is Winamp problem, or just an issue with plugin from the essentials pack.

Before I upgraded Winamp to 5.541, I used import/export plugin from the previous essentials pack to export my library (I like to keep ratings, history, etc.)

But after a clean install of 5.541 and new essentials pack, imported my library but now I have lots of files in my library with last played date 1969. I think those files were ones I had not played in a while (or never).

Anyone got some ideas how I can restore my library but not get a bunch of invalid history dates?

Thanks in advance,

~ss
soulstace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 19:17   #24
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Still no update to the "name" on winamp.com? Its 8/5 now :P
It should say 5.541, featured in 5.541, history etc etc..
This way people can actually see that a new version has been released.
Old 5th August 2008, 22:06   #25
robdog2004
Major Dude

anyone notice that the keyboard shortcut ctrl+z isnt listed in the shortcut list in help > about

thanks rob

Old 5th August 2008, 22:10   #26
robdog2004
Major Dude

soulstace why do you uninstall all previous versions to begin with if you dont have a problem with the previous version you can install the new version on top of the old and it will keep all previous settings

thanks rob

Old 6th August 2008, 00:38   #27
Alpha2k6

Your right egg now after its been on a long time its on 51MB wich is not much at all of the 4GB installed..

The only thing that was kind of confusing was that you can click on the same playlist over and over and increase memory.. just seemed fishy
Alpha2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 01:33   #28
soulstace

Quote:
Originally posted by robdog2004
soulstace why do you uninstall all previous versions to begin with if you dont have a problem with the previous version you can install the new version on top of the old and it will keep all previous settings
I realize that. But that's a problem. I didn't want to keep previous settings, I wanted a clean install with different (fewer) plugins.

I've been doing this import/export many times before when upgrading (clean install) previous versions, and this is the first time I've been bit by it.

EDIT: What would explain all imported songs which have no "played last" date being tagged 12/31/1969 7:00:00 PM instead? Where is this specific date coming from? Zero time error?

Last edited by soulstace; 6th August 2008 at 03:08.
Old 6th August 2008, 05:05   #29
robdog2004
Major Dude

ive never seen it the only i saw something like that was when the battery on my moms computer died but that was windows it wasnt any program
now i have seen something similar in a different companies forum and they had the user do a /nolicense command with the uninstall of the program but i doubt that works in this case

what type of file does the plugin save as
if it can be edited in notepad or similar see if there was a entry that matches and if it allows you to change may want to try (backup original file first in case it doesnt work)

thanks rob

Old 6th August 2008, 05:26   #30
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by soulstace
I realize that. But that's a problem. I didn't want to keep previous settings, I wanted a clean install with different (fewer) plugins.

I've been doing this import/export many times before when upgrading (clean install) previous versions, and this is the first time I've been bit by it.

EDIT: What would explain all imported songs which have no "played last" date being tagged 12/31/1969 7:00:00 PM instead? Where is this specific date coming from? Zero time error?
Close Winamp, install this version of ml_impex over your old one (C:\program files\winamp\plugins)
http://shup.com/Shup/55587/ml_impex.dll

clear your library and then re-import. Should fix the problem.
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 05:29   #31
robdog2004
Major Dude

better answer than i said

thanks rob

Old 6th August 2008, 05:30   #32
soulstace

It's XML. But not so easy to edit, since I do have thousands of songs in my Library.

There are fields like this:
code:

<key>Play Date</key><integer>1193003458</integer>
<key>Play Date UTC</key><date>Sun Oct 21 17:50:58 2007</date>

But only songs which I had played have this entry exported. Upon import into Winamp, the songs that don't specify the Play Date field get dated "Played Last" 12/31/1969 7:00:00 PM.

Seems like a plugin problem, so I probably shouldn't discuss it anymore in this thread.

Thanks for your time,

~ss
Old 6th August 2008, 05:32   #33
robdog2004
Major Dude

try the new version posted 2 messages above your message if that doesnt work let us know

thanks rob

Old 6th August 2008, 05:36   #34
soulstace

oops we all posted at the same time.. hehe

Awesome! That did the trick

Thanks for the help and quick fix friends

~ss
Old 6th August 2008, 05:43   #35
robdog2004
Major Dude

yep thank you dev team

thanks rob

Old 6th August 2008, 15:40   #36
blo
Empire Builder v2

@Knotte

Given that is just a maintenance release, we are leaving the primary homepage graphic as 5.54 (5.541 is a bit decimal happy for a homepage promo)...every reference to the version # in the /player section is showing 5.541 (we link users directly to the /player page from the 'Winamp Update' window). The version history page is updated as well.

Thanks for all the great feedback fellas.
blo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 17:48   #37
QOAL
[STILL a retard!]

Installing this version reminded me of the fuglyness of those new buttons on bento skins, so I made a patcher app which replaces the button graphics with J_Darnley's nicer versions and also patches the player-elements.xml's

Note: I've only tested it on my install.

Download here

NSIS script and related files (So people can fix it if it's broke or improve it )

Edit: Ahh Cheers DJ Egg

count!last.fmdastylishplanner

Last edited by QOAL; 6th August 2008 at 18:07.
QOAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 17:59   #38
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@QOAL
Bento -> Options -> Appearance:
Show Artist-Information Buttons
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 22:11   #39
soulstace

Hey DJ,

Thanks for the tip
Old 7th August 2008, 01:22   #40
robdog2004
Major Dude

hey dj i'm surprised theres no keyboard shortcut to muting just winamp without muting your whole computer

thanks rob

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion