Old 18th October 2006, 01:00   #1
Aliveguy

.SHn and .flac error

I recently transferred some of my files from my old laptop to my new one and now I get errors on some of the flac and shn files that I have.
The .shn files don't play anymore. They fill into the playlist but it seems winamp is scanning them and it just goes back adn forth.
The .flac files give me an "flac_file_decoder_seekable_stream_decoder_error"
Some of my flac files work and some of the .shn files do but for some of them, these are the errors that i'm getting. Anyone have any solutions to this problem?

EDIT --> DJ Egg

SOLUTION

A fixed new version of ShnAmp (in_shn.dll) v2.04 is now available:
Download | Info

For FLAC, make sure you are using the Nullsoft FLAC Decoder v2.0x, which is included with the Winamp 5.5x Full/Bundle/Pro installer. If you're using any other version, eg. the reference 1.1.3 decoder from sourceforge, then it is NOT supported here.
Aliveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 04:03   #2
Rocker

if the files didn't transfer properly then they are corrupted, you will have to recreate the files.

seems strange though. how did you transfer the files?

are you using the official nullsoft flac decoder?(flac encoder is in the pack aswell)
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....69#post2033869
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 09:15   #3
Aliveguy

i have that plug in and what's odd about teh shn files is that they winamp searches when i input them into playlist and it doesn't play. But if i convert the files to mp3 then they play fine.

As for the flac files, I don't understnad why some work and some don't. I transferred files to an external harddrive and then onto my new laptop's internal drive.
Old 18th October 2006, 12:25   #4
Rocker

as a suggestion.
try defragmenting your hard drive, highly fragmented files might cause underuns.
Old 18th October 2006, 14:10   #5
JonnyMac

Which plug-in are you using for SHN files?

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2006, 09:25   #6
Aliveguy

i use shnAmp for my .shn files
Old 19th October 2006, 11:26   #7
Rocker

hmmm that plugin is mighty old. over 4 years old and probably doesn't work well with the latest winamp api.

this could be causing your problems.

may i suggest converting all your shn files to flac or monkeys audio.
Old 19th October 2006, 13:59   #8
germain47

I am not experiencing any problems using the Shnamp plugin with v5.3. Seems unlikely this the source of Aliveguy's woes.
germain47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 21:54   #9
KrisUk

I've had problems in 5.3 playing .shn files too.

I reverted back to 5.0.94 and they worked fine again but as soon as I reinstalled 5.3 they stopped working.

I just uninstalled and reinstalled 5.3 though and now they seem to work at random. Sometimes they'll play on the first double click but other times you need to double click a couple of times.

I use ShnAmp v2.02 too.

I've had no problems with FLAC though...
KrisUk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 22:02   #10
KrisUk

Just stumbled across this....

Double click to play the .shn and if it just scans back and fourth, hit the play button. Works for me anyway...
KrisUk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2006, 14:11   #11
u6s3m3c7

same problem with .shn files, not with .flacs though. sometimes you have to hit play only one extra time, others it's like fifteen times before the file will play. really screws up the flow when you're trying to listen to a three hour Dead show from start to finish and every so often winamp will just pause in between songs (with manual playlist advance OFF, of course)
u6s3m3c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2006, 15:59   #12
JonnyMac

Sorry, there is not much that we can do about it. The third party SHN plug-in should be updated by the respective developer/author.
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2006, 06:28   #13
wstielau

After receiving more ShnAmp bug reports in the last month then in the previous 4.5 years I figured I'd better take a look at this WinAmp 5.3/ShnAmp issue. I upgraded my WinAmp from 5.01 to 5.32 but I am unable to reproduce the problems that people are describing. ShnAmp V2.02 plays shn files correctly on my machine. Is anyone still having the problem and would be willing to try and debug it with me?

Wayne Stielau
wstielau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2006, 18:30   #14
krazywolf1963

Quote:
Originally posted by wstielau
After receiving more ShnAmp bug reports in the last month then in the previous 4.5 years I figured I'd better take a look at this WinAmp 5.3/ShnAmp issue. I upgraded my WinAmp from 5.01 to 5.32 but I am unable to reproduce the problems that people are describing. ShnAmp V2.02 plays shn files correctly on my machine. Is anyone still having the problem and would be willing to try and debug it with me?

Wayne Stielau
I would be more then happy to help. I'm having the same problem after upgrading to 5.3...WinAmp shows the ShnAmp plugin that was already installed and then I even tried a uninstall / reinstall with no luck.
krazywolf1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2006, 18:44   #15
Rocker

new sdk here.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=252090

it would be nice if it supported transcoding aswell as not being randomly broken.
Old 2nd December 2006, 18:50   #16
wstielau

What exactly is the problem you are having?
Which output plugin are you using?
Could you please enable the "Display Error Messages" option on the ShnAmp congiguration dialog box, then open a shn file and see if any error messages are generated.

-Wayne

Quote:
Originally posted by krazywolf1963
I would be more then happy to help. I'm having the same problem after upgrading to 5.3...WinAmp shows the ShnAmp plugin that was already installed and then I even tried a uninstall / reinstall with no luck.
Old 3rd December 2006, 03:49   #17
Rocker

actually with a bit of testing gen_nopro.dll and gen_undo.dll (part of winamp essentials) is breaking it totally but dro's plugins don't break any other plugins.

there is a click at the start of any shn file(only shn files do it for me) so it must be something to do with the input plugin.(very annoying bug when at high volume)
Old 3rd December 2006, 12:26   #18
Ton80

I'm another one that has shnamp 202 and flac 1.1.3 (just released a few days back) problems with 5.32. No errors are brought up. No sound and sound spectrum display just goes back and forth.
Had to rollback to 5.22 for proper functioning.
Ton80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2006, 12:40   #19
DrO

Rocker: in what way are they breaking things since there's little in their code which i can think off that would even be able to affect an input plugin. really need some more info to go on to see if it is due to them and in what way so.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2006, 13:25   #20
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Ton80
I'm another one that has shnamp 202 and flac 1.1.3 (just released a few days back) problems with 5.32. No errors are brought up. No sound and sound spectrum display just goes back and forth.
Had to rollback to 5.22 for proper functioning.
We only support the default Nullsoft FLAC Decoder v1.1.2c (in_flac.dll), as included with the Winamp 5.32 Full/Bundle/Pro packages.

If there's problems with the 3rd-party reference 1.1.3 plugin then there's nothing we can do about it here. Hopefully, the Nullsoft FLAC Decoder will eventually be updated to use the new 1.1.3 code...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2006, 14:06   #21
germain47

Quote:
What exactly is the problem you are having?
Thanks for stepping up to take a look at this. Got too many gigs of Dead archived as shn discs for this plugin to become obsolete. Fortunately (for me) I can not produce any problems. Shn files play fine from HD and disc.
Using Shnamp plugin v2.02
Windows xp sp2
Winamp v 5.32 pro w/ essentials pack installed
Old 3rd December 2006, 14:22   #22
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

So you're replying to the question "What exactly is the problem you are having?" to say that you're not having any problems?

I guess that's good news then, yes?
Old 3rd December 2006, 15:19   #23
germain47

Difficulty with plugin is not universal but seems to be effecting several people since the release of 5.3. Thought by speaking up it would help with the process of elimination for those knowledgeable about the inner workings and hidden mechanisms of Winamp that are striving to find and fix
defects. Definitely in my best interest to do what I can to ensure shn files continue to function in Winamp.
Old 3rd December 2006, 15:42   #24
wstielau

Quote:
Originally posted by Rocker
actually with a bit of testing gen_nopro.dll and gen_undo.dll (part of winamp essentials) is breaking it totally but dro's plugins don't break any other plugins.
What is the purpose of those plugins? How did you determine they were causing the problem? If you remove them does ShnAmp start working?
Old 3rd December 2006, 16:14   #25
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

They both come with the 5.32 Essentials Pack

gen_nopro (aka: Lite'n Winamp Preferences) gives the option to remove pages from the Winamp Prefs (eg. Winamp Pro, CD Ripping, Station Info, etc), and gen_undo (aka: Playlist Undo) provides an Undo option for any changes made in the playlist window.

However, a few of us have already tried and haven't been able to reproduce the problem, including me, koopa, DrO and germain47. SHN files play fine using Winamp 5.32 and latest ShnAmp.

It's certainly not easy to reproduce any problems based on such vague reports.
Old 4th December 2006, 00:18   #26
Rocker

you can't reproduce my problem? (with those plugins?)

i can reproduce it every time.

it just doesn't play any shn file with those plugins enabled. no error messages.

I can get file information. but compressed bytes read = 0 PCM bytes written = 0 like I never hit play.

remove both those plugins from winamp's startup, then it works fine.

windows xp pro x64. (latest winamp beta revision and the 5.32 essentials)
Old 4th December 2006, 03:41   #27
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeah, I'm seeing it now.

With gen_undo present, the .shn files don't play.
Well, it's as described above, where it looks like it's playing, but gets stuck at 0:00 and the spectrum vis just goes back and forth in buffer mode.

With gen_nopro present, the files play sometimes, but other times I get a crash on play, or a crash when trying to access prefs.

winamp caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
in module winamp.exe at 001b:00000000

Most strange.

As you say, if both gen_nopro and gen_undo aren't present, then everything works fine.

Well found Rocker.

DrO? Any ideas?

[EDIT]

Also looks like a conflict between gen_nunzio, gen_nopro & in_shn.
If gen_nunzio isn't there, then the crash is a lot less frequent with gen_nopro and in_shn.
Old 4th December 2006, 07:41   #28
DrO

i'm not sure since gen plugins shouldn't be having any effect on input plugins (unless the input plugin is doing something weird/gen plugin like). i guess i know what i'll be having to look at now tonight

-daz
Old 4th December 2006, 10:49   #29
Ton80

To add furthur info:
Winxp Pro sp2
A64 3200+
Abit KV8 Pro 1.1 revision with latest drivers and BIOS
1 gig memory
Audigy 1 with latest drivers
nVidia 6800 latest drivers
DirectX 9.0c October Update

I've attached my dxdiag.txt for any needing it.

I went and reinstalled 5.32 on top of 5.22 and the FLAC 113 NOW works. WTF!!!

But alas shn still broken with no errors.

gen_nopro and gen_undo I don't have those in the plugin folder so what else can I do to furthur troubleshoot?
Attached Files
File Type: txt dxdiag.txt (48.4 KB, 623 views)
Old 4th December 2006, 11:36   #30
Ton80

This needed a new reply.
I finally got shn to work with 5.32 sort of. I decided not to install the gapless output plugin in the shnamp202 but not sure if that is related to the next problem.

First track played fine; fast forward to next track, blam same dang messup. I have to press play each time after fast forwarding to next track or double-clicking in playlist. Rewind to previous tracks works all the time back through the track list but not fast forward all the time. It's sporadic, if at all and not always on the same track as before, but it WILL play if play button is hit a second time.

Ok re-ran the shnamp202 to install that gapless plugin. Same type of behavior.
Old 4th December 2006, 11:53   #31
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeah, I unchecked the gapless output plugin in the ShnAmp installer.

I reckon that the bundled gapless output plugin is pretty old and probably not too compatible. Besides, Winamp's DirectSound Output does gapless anyway (out_ds > config > buffering tab > buffer ahead on track change // other tab > remove silence). But there's also a possibility that the gapless settings (whether via out_ds or 3rd-party output plugin) are causing the "won't play" issue.

Please also attach a List of Plugins, so we can see if you've got any other 3rd-party plugins, and also whether you're using all the latest 5.32 versions of the 1st-party plugins.

As for the gen_nopro/gen_undo conflicts, I'll be experimenting further with these this afternoon, so I can try make DrO's job easier (I've got a few ideas, but aren't sure yet) :-(
Old 4th December 2006, 12:06   #32
Ton80

Quote:
Please also attach a List of Plugins, so we can see if you've got any other 3rd-party plugins, and also whether you're using all the latest 5.32 versions of the 1st-party plugins
See attached.

The behavior of the fast forward button is the same with or without that gapless plugin included in the shnamp202.
Attached Files
File Type: txt my_plugin_list.txt (3.7 KB, 618 views)
Old 4th December 2006, 12:50   #33
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
As for the gen_nopro/gen_undo conflicts, I'll be experimenting further with these this afternoon, so I can try make DrO's job easier (I've got a few ideas, but aren't sure yet) :-(
i have my faith in you on that since i'm going to be late back tonight (oh the joys of broken bikes.. not). i'm still trying to think through what i remember of the code in the plugins to try and think what would be causing playback to break. the only thing i can think off is some sort of subclassing issue or memory allocation that's conflicting with what's available in the winamp process space. either way it's something really weird that i've not currently seen beforehand.

-daz
Old 4th December 2006, 13:25   #34
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
With gen_undo present, the .shn files don't play.
Well, then it's just related to shn files (I'm not using shn, heh). I've installed tons of input plug-ins (including input plug-ins for classic game music, in_zip, Wavepack, in_tv and much more) and cannot reproduce the issue with these plug-ins.

I'll make some tests with more input plug-ins, but I'm using DrO's plug-ins since the dawn of time, so I'm sure it's shnAmp, which is the one to blame.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 19:03   #35
DrO

well from tests done so far, it crashes with in_zip but i'm not surprised by that.

it won't work with gen_undo and i have to disable all of my calls to CopyFiles and any file OS calls for gen_undo to work with in_shn. this is not something i can even attempt to explain why it's happening and just doesn't make any sense.

also not being funny but even stripping winamp down to just the core, in_shn and out_ds i have problems getting the few test shn files i downloaded to even play. 5.23 will seem to play things better but the changes to in_* handling still mean that old legacy input plugins shouldn't have any issues. so on the whole i can't understand why things would fail due to my plugin but when things aren't even beginning to play with just 2 plugins then something else is going on that i believe isn't my fault.

all i can do now is waste the rest of my evening trying to see wtf is causing things to break due to my standard OS api calls (which i'm not happy about having to do since i've got better things to be doing)

-daz
Old 4th December 2006, 21:23   #36
DrO

i've managed to get it to work with a modified gen_undo but gen_nopro (and also gen_nunzio seems to cause an issue) i can't track down since the crash is always in in_shn.dll.

so at the moment i'm at a loss since i don't know what that location in in_shn is and without being able to properly debug through things with code i can't do much since there is definitely something fucked up going on (but only in_shn causes this issue).

also i can only get playback on my 5.23 and 5.33 internal builds (my main 5.32 install just sits and hangs at 0:00 even when it's only winamp.exe+out_ds+in_shn which doesn't make any sense... yet again). now i've seen some weird issues in the past but this has really got me stumped. all i can hope for is source code access to allow me to properly debug through things my end. if not then i can't see what else i can do since all of my plugins work fine otherwise without in_shn and in combination with loads of other 3rd party plugins from what i'm aware off *shrugs*

-daz
Old 4th December 2006, 21:25   #37
DrO

and attached is my working build of gen_undo (as long as gen_nopro is present)

-daz

[edit]
version removed as the newer in_shn dll below resolves the issue with gen_undo so no need for a newer build
Old 5th December 2006, 00:09   #38
wstielau

I've fixed ShnAmp. It was keeping a copy of the pointer to the fileName argument of the play() callback. When the "WinAmp Essentials" package is installed something clobbers the fileName after the play() callback returns.
I've changed ShnAmp so the fileName is copied to some local storage.

Attached is a fixed version (v2.03) if anyone would like to try it.

-Wayne

[EDIT]

Update

ShnAmp v2.04 post here <-- use this version, not the one attached below
Attached Files
File Type: zip in_shn.zip (74.0 KB, 4974 views)
Old 5th December 2006, 07:33   #39
DrO

if i remember correctly, the filename passed in play(..) was changed in the winamp core to be a const char* (or const wchar_t* if the unicode support is enabled) which would make sense with the issues i was having. i'll have to try it out later tonight whenever i get home

-daz
Old 5th December 2006, 11:33   #40
Ton80

Quote:
I've fixed ShnAmp. It was keeping a copy of the pointer to the fileName argument of the play() callback. When the "WinAmp Essentials" package is installed something clobbers the fileName after the play() callback returns.
I've changed ShnAmp so the fileName is copied to some local storage.

Attached is a fixed version if anyone would like to try it.

-Wayne
Well after putting that into plugins, Winamp crashed once when playing one shn after restarting.
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 77 69 6e ure win
0018: 61 6d 70 2e 65 78 65 20 amp.exe
0020: 35 2e 33 2e 32 2e 31 30 5.3.2.10
0028: 30 33 20 69 6e 20 75 6e 03 in un
0030: 6b 6e 6f 77 6e 20 30 2e known 0.
0038: 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 61 74 0.0.0 at
0040: 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 offset
0048: 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 00000000
0050: 0d 0a ..

Might be a fluke.
Restarted again Winamp and now have proper behavior.
Great job finding the bug. When can we pfco hubbers expect the new shnamp203 installer?
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion