Old 8th December 2010, 22:46   #41
Ema82

Ok, I solved installing ClassicPro, thank you!
Ema82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 23:43   #42
mjburns

gen_lyrics03 and Winamp 5.601

I got the notice that gen_lyrics was not compatible with Winamp 5.601 and was going to be disabled. Spent awhile looking for a replacement (nothing compares), and tried the older version.

Bottom line is, gen_lyrics03 works fine in the new Winamp with the Modern Skin. I don't use, or like Bento. It takes up too much real-estate, even with two 20" monitors.

(Windows XP Pro SP3)
mjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 12:49   #43
osmosis
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njord123 View Post
Hate to be Cpt. Obvious, but why not go back to a version that was compatible with Lyricsplugin (gen_lyrics03.exe) and just ignore/disable the "upgrade now" msg? :P

I just found myself in the same situation as you all,
so I reinstalled 5.541 and gen_lyrics ... works fine
System vulnerabilities and other critical fixes seem like a decent reason.
osmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 01:14   #44
Unclean009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjburns View Post
I got the notice that gen_lyrics was not compatible with Winamp 5.601 and was going to be disabled. Spent awhile looking for a replacement (nothing compares), and tried the older version.

Bottom line is, gen_lyrics03 works fine in the new Winamp with the Modern Skin. I don't use, or like Bento. It takes up too much real-estate, even with two 20" monitors.

(Windows XP Pro SP3)
That's interesting... maybe it's skin related?
Unclean009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 08:38   #45
DrO

doubtful as i can get it to crash with a minimal install of just winamp.exe (and a few supporting libraries) in a classic skin.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 23:21   #46
mjburns

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
doubtful as i can get it to crash with a minimal install of just winamp.exe (and a few supporting libraries) in a classic skin.

-daz
Well, it's working for me. I don't know what's different. I presumed it was the skin. I did a standard update from v5.58 got the notice, spent a couple of hours looking into it, trying alternatives, and decided to try gen_lyrics03 again and haven't had any problems.http://www.railroadflat.org/public/g...namp5.6.01.gif

[edit Moderation]
changed img to url tag (massive image)
Old 11th December 2010, 23:29   #47
DrO

must be something to do with sunspots or maybe something with the OS being used though it crashes on both my Win7 x64 and XP x86 machines. or you're just really lucky, heh

-daz
Old 12th December 2010, 01:35   #48
lyricsplugin
Lyrics Plugin Author

Installer: http://www.lyricsplugin.com/download/gen_lyrics031.exe
Or raw DLL (if you know where to put it yourself): http://www.lyricsplugin.com/download/gen_lyrics.dll

Let me know if this works now, this is quite a fast fix that has been tested only on 2 development machines so far. Also sorry for any inconvenience caused by plugin in Winamp 5.59+ (crashes etc).

http://lyricsplugin.com
lyricsplugin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 04:42   #49
mjburns

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricsplugin View Post
Or raw DLL (if you know where to put it yourself): http://www.lyricsplugin.com/download/gen_lyrics.dll

Let me know if this works now, this is quite a fast fix that has been tested only on 2 development machines so far. Also sorry for any inconvenience caused by plugin in Winamp 5.59+ (crashes etc).
Shut down Winamp, replaced C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins\gen_lyrics.dll [81,920 bytes, modified Oct 2, 2007 9:39AM] with the above gen_lyrics.dll [211,456 bytes modified Dec 11, 2010 8:33PM].

Started Winamp and it works for me also.

Best

mike
Old 12th December 2010, 09:55   #50
DrO

heh, never thought we'd see a reply.

just tried and the plug-in does load though it's failing to show anything other than a link to 'http://www.lyricsvip.com' (which it opens in IE instead of my default browser).

second issue is that it now shows 'alt+v' next the 'Lyrics' entry in the main Winamp menu -> http://nunzioweb.com/daz/gen_embedwnd/ shows more of how to setup a nice embedded window within Winamp including menu support, etc (don't hesitate to ask me about any details, etc).

-daz

[edit]
ignore the alt+v thing, looks like i need to go to the opticians / wake up before i try to post a reply. however is still a nice idea to have a look at the example so the window position will be correctly handled in the ctrl+tab window cycling, remembering its position if going from classic->modern->closing Winamp->opening->back to classic (will use the modern skin size on going back to classic which isn't right).
Old 12th December 2010, 12:47   #51
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:

Wayhey! Thank you Mr lyricsplugin!

Just a suggestion...

We made the 5.601 installer disable gen_lyrics.dll by renaming it to gen_lyrics.dll.off
(sorry, but it was the only quick fix idea we could think of at such short notice, and we weren't expecting a fix so soon from your end)....

Would it be possible for you to make your installer delete gen_lyrics.dll if it exists (you could also do a check for gen_lyrics.dll.off)
and then install the plugin as something like gen_lyrics2.dll or whatever?

At least then the Winamp 5.601 installer won't be disabling the new plugin as well (for people who install it on eg. 5.58 or 5.6 and then upgrade to 5.601 later). This would also mean that we can keep the exclusion in for future releases as we'll know that gen_lyrics.dll is incompatible whereas eg. gen_lyrics2.dll is ok.

If no, lol, then I guess I'll just remove the exclusion for the next Winamp release
and maybe replace it with a warning instead (prompting the user to make sure they've got latest version from lyricsplugin.com first).

Thanks

DJ Egg
Winamp Team
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 14:34   #52
Ema82

Thanks Mr lyricsplugin!
Ema82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 14:39   #53
osmosis
Major Dude

Holy crap! New LyricsPlugin!

Any way to make it get the skin colors so that winamp blocking the cookie won't matter? Slash, any way to get around winamp blocking the cookie to show the chosen config colors?
Old 12th December 2010, 21:28   #54
azfrankie

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me (Win 7 64-bit). Upon attempting to start Winamp 5.601, the program instantly shuts down, telling me that Winamp isn't working anymore. I tried both, using the installer, as well as manually d/l'ing the dll file. Neither way I get Winamp running together with the plugin. Help!
azfrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 22:03   #55
Unclean009

Quote:

Thank you so much sir. There is seriously no replacement for your plugin.
Works wonders on newest winamp version and windows 7 64.
Unclean009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 22:20   #56
osmosis
Major Dude

Works on my Windows 7 x86 box. Crash on my Windows 7 x64 laptop. Removed all non-default plugins and crashes still.
Old 13th December 2010, 12:44   #57
ekei96

Winamp 5 Lyrics (gen_lyrics.dll) - How To Copy Text From Lyrics

Winamp 5 Lyrics(gen_lyrics.dll) plugins does not enable the user to copy the text from the lyric box. So I have explore the way that we could copy the text, in order to use or to save it in other place.

Steps:

1. Open your "Internet Explorer", go to "Tools" -> "Internet Options".
2. Go to "Security" tabs, Click "Custom Level".
3. Go to "Scripting" -> "Active Scripting", and set to "Prompt".
4. Click "OK"and "OK".
5. Open Winamp 5 with Lyrics box opened.
6. Play a mp3 file. A Dialog box popup asking "Yes" or "No".
7. Click "Yes", then "No" then "Yes" and "Yes".
8. Select text and right click, copy. Now you can copy it.

Hope this helps.
ekei96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 18:42   #58
lyricsplugin
Lyrics Plugin Author

I'll keep my eye on this thread and do my best to fix some more errors + implement suggestions from DJ Egg, but it will take time due to my busy schedule.
lyricsplugin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 18:50   #59
osmosis
Major Dude

Hey no worries! Glad you resurfaced

Please try to take into consideration my suggestions regarding the config text/background color not working via cookies anymore, and the alternative of getting them directly from the active skin.

Keep up the great work! And thank you for providing hands-down the best lyircs db around.
Old 14th December 2010, 01:18   #60
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
I'll keep my eye on this thread and do my best to fix some more errors + implement suggestions from DJ Egg, but it will take time due to my busy schedule.
Great news! It's good to see that you are prepared to keep this excellent plugin up to date. Thank-you. I look forward to any improvements.

Jim
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 00:14   #61
mjburns

Wrong Lyrics

Is it just me or has gen_lyrics been dishing up the wrong lyrics all day. This is Bob Seger - Turn the Page playing, but these aren't the lyrics. Clicking on the artists name brings up a bad URL instead of the lyrics on the lyrics site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seger.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	48124  
Old 15th December 2010, 06:14   #62
ekei96

Quote:
Is it just me or has gen_lyrics been dishing up the wrong lyrics all day.
I got same prob. But after I restart my connection and restart my Winamp, the lyrics going back to the correct one.
ekei96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 19:15   #63
Carnivac

Quote:

http://lyricsplugin.com

I came to this forum tonight just to find an answer to this problem and am very grateful you've fixed it. I've been missing the lyrics since the Winamp update and the Metrolyrics in the media library was a poor substitute being awkward, bloated, ad-ridden and very often couldn't find the correct lyrics that ol' gen_lyrics.dll could. Just very happy to have a compatible version again. Have a good christmas

edit: copied the new version of the dll to the plugins folder, loaded winamp, no crash, works just fine. Thanks again
Carnivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 16:04   #64
Andres90

thanks for the fix!!

I've got a problem, though: my plugin doesn't load anything, any ideas?
Andres90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 14:08   #65
ryerman
Major Dude

new Lyrics Plugin (gen_lyrics.dll) works AND crashes Winamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
then I guess I'll just remove the exclusion for the next Winamp release
Please don't move too quickly.

I was happy to see that the "fast fix" Lyrics Plugin worked but I believe it still causes Winamp to crash.
Like this:
1. Enqueue audio files in Playlist Editor
2. Play any file (Lyrics Plugin will display lyrics if invoked)
3. Clear Playlist (click on minus sign and choose "Clear Playlist" from menu)
4. Click on "Media Library" tab

This crashes Winamp on my system.
If I remove gen_lyrics.dll from the Plugins folder, no crash occurs.

Jim

Winamp 5.601, Windows Vista SP2
Attached Files
File Type: txt Installed Winamp plugin list.txt (6.6 KB, 734 views)
Old 23rd December 2010, 19:11   #66
godzillajoe

I tried Lyrics Plugin, latest version, last night. When I do View-> from Wniamp why are there about 7 instances of Lyrics in the menu. Some are checked and some unchecked. I'm running two instances of winamp, one is minimized and muted at all times and for streaming shoutcast, the other is my "in-house" player if I wanna listen to something else. Has this scenario ever been tested with the plugin?
godzillajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 06:56   #67
osmosis
Major Dude

hmm just redownloaded the plugin now and it works on my x64 machine! nothing changed on my end. so maybe it got updated again.
Old 27th December 2010, 17:52   #68
osmosis
Major Dude

Just wanted to mention to everybody that it doesn't crash now on my x64 system because my playlist wasn't empty anymore! Silly of me not to notice that aforementioned bug before. Cheers all.

Last edited by osmosis; 27th December 2010 at 18:53.
Old 28th December 2010, 17:00   #69
Talon95

Mine crashes.

I dunno guys.
The plugin usually works right after install, but after restarting Winamp a couple of times, Winamp crashes because of the plugin.

Deleting the plugin fixes the issue.

Any ideas?
Talon95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 17:35   #70
osmosis
Major Dude

Make sure your playlist isn't empty. Of course, closing Winamp with an empty playlist will make it crash on startup, so if this is the case, go to a music folder and enqueue/play a file to start Winamp.
Old 28th December 2010, 20:30   #71
ryerman
Major Dude

To osmosis: Thank-you for solving the mystery of how/when this plugin crashes Winamp!
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmosis View Post
Of course, closing Winamp with an empty playlist will make it crash on startup, ...
I guess you meant closing Winamp with an empty playlist and Lyrics Plugin installed will make it crash on startup because Winamp without 3rd party plugins does not normally crash when opening with an empty playlist.

But, your post helped me to understand. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the rule seems to be this:

If there is at least one file in the Playlist Editor then Lyrics Plugin works without crashing Winamp.

Now I just have to decide whether or not this compromise is worth accepting. For me, with an empty playlist the plugin crashes Winamp no matter which button I click. (see post #65). Hopefully, the author will make a correction.

Thanks again
Jim
Old 1st January 2011, 18:21   #72
Talon95

If any of you use CCleaner, you'll know that it clears temporary files, files...such as the Winamp Playlist, so now you see how this might be a problem.

What this means is, you'll have to have Winamp open when running CCleaner or your playlist will be cleared and the plugin will crash Winamp upon launch.

Hope this clears up problems you might have had and adds another reason for the plugin to be fixed soon.
Old 1st January 2011, 23:40   #73
mjburns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon95 View Post
If any of you use CCleaner, you'll know that it clears temporary files, files...such as the Winamp Playlist, so now you see how this might be a problem.

What this means is, you'll have to have Winamp open when running CCleaner or your playlist will be cleared and the plugin will crash Winamp upon launch.

Hope this clears up problems you might have had and adds another reason for the plugin to be fixed soon.
Or, tic Applications (in CCleaner) and untic Winamp in the Multimedia column.

Thank you very much osmosis for running this down. It mostly worked for me but sometimes not. Now I know why and how to deal with it.
Old 3rd January 2011, 22:50   #74
osmosis
Major Dude

I'd also like to suggest Alt+R to open Lyrics instead of Alt+Y. DrO's Playlist Undo Plugin has redo functionality planned and it would be ideal if Alt+Y was available for that, to go along with Alt+Z (mirroring the OS functionality of Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+Y).
Old 6th January 2011, 01:39   #75
soporific

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
That's what will be happening.

Sorry everyone, but if it's crashing Winamp 5.59+
then all we can do for now is make the Winamp installer disable it (with notification).

If a fix appears in the future, I'll remove the exclusion.
Though someone will need to inform me about it....
I just wanted to say a big thank you for all the Winamp development over the years i've been using it. I hopped on board so far back i can't remember what the version was (2.8?)

Having discovered the lyrics plugin a few years back, i now find i can't live without it. Rather than upgrade to v5.6 and lose the lyrics, i am staying on 5.581 forever (or until the newer versions fix the lyrics issue).

I AM SURE THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE IN MY SITUATION.

Please consider a complete re-write of this plugin by someone inhouse, and i will consider a sizable donation for the use for the last decade or so of this awesome player.

If not, no worries, 5.581 works well enough. Thanks!
soporific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 08:35   #76
DrO

soporific: have you even attempted to install the newer v0.31 of the plug-in which fixes the main issue as your post seems to indicate you haven't...?

-daz
Old 7th January 2011, 20:33   #77
cardoso

I was about to give LyricsMeaning a try, but am unable to install it. Tried with Opera 11 and Firefox 3.6.13, and ended up with an "Oops" message.

So I tried it directly from the Media Library (Winamp Add-ons). But when hitting the "Add to Winamp" button, nothing happens.

Any hint?

Btw. DJ Egg: When will you finally start to support Opera users?
cardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 01:24   #78
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoso View Post
I was about to give LyricsMeaning a try, but am unable to install it. Tried with Opera 11 and Firefox 3.6.13, and ended up with an "Oops" message.
I'm using Windows Vista. When I try to use LyricsMeaning, which I had already installed, I get a screen that says the site does not exist. I have no explanation but maybe the problem is on the server side, not the user or Winamp side.

Sorry, I have no solution so I'm just confirming your experience.

Try using MetroLyrics or some other lyric Online Service.
Old 9th January 2011, 23:02   #79
Talon95

Guys, check it out, new Lyricsplugin!
He came through for us.
It looks better, imo, and the empty playlist bug is fixed.
One thing though, it's missing Copy functionality, but good nonetheless.
See for yourself.
Lyricsplugin.com
Old 9th January 2011, 23:48   #80
osmosis
Major Dude

Good catch Talon! The new plugin is version 0.4, has an MSI installer, is gen_lyricsplugin.dll and now defaults to using the colours from the current skin.

Not sure when it was uploaded, but it still uses Alt+Y for a shortcut which would conflict with Playlist Undo in the future when redo functionality gets added, so that's too bad.. But otherwise, it's fantastic!

Also, I think maybe a debug message box was left in, since the first time I started Winamp with the new plugin I got a dialog displaying "HOMEBASE|1294619957" which is my computer name and a random number..
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion