Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 7th June 2011, 14:32   #1
Ek1

Portable device not following my naming convention, uses default CD ripping ones

Moving files from HD to E7 results the files being named to the default settings, not to "<Artist>\<year> <Album>\## <Title>" as I have set up.

I have changed the default settings and the specific portables naming convention but still they end up in the default format.
Ek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 10:42   #2
Ek1

Anyone?

Newest version, OS win 7, vanilla install and so on.
Old 13th June 2011, 13:21   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hi

Using Winamp 5.61?

Nokia E7 phone?
As far as I know, this device should just be using the standard pmp_usb.dll plugin/interface.

What method are you using to transfer the files?
1. The Sync/Autofill buttons in Media Library > Devices > USB Drive X:
2. The "Send To -> USB Drive X:" command in the Playlist/Local Media right click menu?
3. Drag+Drop
4. Other?

For 1+2, go to: Winamp > Prefs (Ctrl+P) > Portables > USB Drive X: (where "X" is the correct drive letter) > Advanced tab
Make sure the File Name Format syntax is correct, eg.

X:\Music\<Artist>\<year> <Album>\## <Title>

This will transfer files in the format of (for example)

X:\Music\Pink Floyd\1973 Dark Side Of The Moon\02 Breathe.mp3
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 16:19   #4
Ek1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
Using Winamp 5.61?
Thats the latest, yes.
Quote:
Nokia E7 phone?
As far as I know, this device should just be using the standard pmp_usb.dll plugin/interface
Yes, so I tought too.

Quote:
What method are you using to transfer the files?
2. The "Send To -> USB Drive X:" command in the Playlist/Local Media right click menu?
Quote:
Make sure the File Name Format syntax is correct, eg.

X:\Music\<Artist>\<year> <Album>\## <Title>

This will transfer files in the format of (for example)

X:\Music\Pink Floyd\1973 Dark Side Of The Moon\02 Breathe.mp3
Thats just the case, it does not.
Old 13th June 2011, 20:06   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Egg,

this is exactly what i reported weeks ago. while wifi to my droid now uses albumartist properly to make folders / org my music on the droid, the USB xfer seems totally messed up. as far as i can tell, it does not use CD rip settings, even tho its checked. i haven't tried what it does when unchecked and values are directly entered.

btw, your default values for cd ripping are, well, basically crap, i did change them to what would be useful, but as i said, they just don't seem to be used at all. please consider updatiing your default values to useful values.

please see here:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=328403

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=323339

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=329489

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=324570

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=324745

related:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=330959

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 21:05   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

I can't reproduce the problem, sorry.
http://meggamusic.co.uk/shup/1307995405/usb_config.png

I set the File Name Format to:
F:\mp3\<Albumartist>\<Album> - <Year>\<filename>

and as you can see, the file was transferred to:
F:\mp3\Papercranes\Vidalia - 2006\02 - Treasure.mp3

@MrSinatra

Hmmmm....
Are you referring to the 'Copy to local media' feature/setting in Prefs > Portables?
That's the path for copying files from the device to the local hard drive on your pc.
Or am I just getting confused here, lol.
Old 13th June 2011, 22:09   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

using newest 5.61 and newest droid ver 1.1

ok, i just went thru and did some testing:

if using wifi, the compilation album (a film soundtrack) "Almost Famous" will show up as one album. (on the winamp droid app, touch "albums" and its there once, although even that has a bug as it lists the album as being by one of the artists, and not the TPE2 value)

now, i deleted the album from droid, i turned wifi off, plugged in the usb cable, and xferred again via USB, and this time, the album shows up once for each song / artist!

thats a bug!

so now the question is, what is it in my settings that makes it this way? its important to note that it did this with DEFAULT SETTINGS as i never previously changed the defaults since i don't have other portable devices nor do i rip CDs with winamp.

so i investigate the winamp 5.61 preferences to see WHY it does this. here's what i want you to do egg:

while your droid is usb plugged in with wifi off, look in prefs. the droid will show under "Prefs > Portables" HOWEVER it is "Portables" i want you to highlight.

notice at the top of that dialog, first thing, "Use CD Rip Settings" ...i have that checked.

do you see that? notice the rest is then subdued? isn't the point of this option to tell winamp to xfer music to the droid using the pref known as CD Ripping? if not, then what is the point of this option???

under pref > CD Ripping, i had to change the USELESS DEFAULT to this:

<Artist>\<Album>\<Trackartist> - ## - <Title>

however, as i've said, it isn't being used anyway!

so thats all FUBAR in many ways imo.

now, if i DO look at the settings for droid under: "Prefs > Portables > Droid" then i click the advanced tab, i have this:

G:\Music\<Artist>\<Album>\## - <Title>

THATS THE DEFAULT!!! WHY??? its not what you have in your pic link!

and guess what, here, you guys have changed the format help! so now its inconsistent even in prefs! under cd ripping, artist actually is album artist, whereas here, artist is track artist!

again, fubar!

so when i just now changed this to:

G:\Music\<Albumartist>\<Album>\## - <Artist> - <Title>

it worked. but christ, you all have made this needlessly difficult!

why not have proper defaults? why not have consistent "format help" functions? and why are options like use cd ripping ignored?

(btw, i def think for format help the "new way" is better, ie. albumartist = albumartist and artist = trackartist)

not trying to be a jerk egg, you guys are the best, but i have been trying to get you all to look at this basically since i got my droid in December!

if you don't follow ANY of the above, please ask! its also explained in the links i put previously.

(and usb xfer is like wifi in that it still results in the album as "being by" a TPE1 value, instead of TPE2, as it should be)

--
Old 13th June 2011, 22:52   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
notice at the top of that dialog, first thing, "Use CD Rip Settings" ...i have that checked.

do you see that? notice the rest is then subdued? isn't the point of this option to tell winamp to xfer music to the droid using the pref known as CD Ripping? if not, then what is the point of this option???
No. The point of that setting is to tell Winamp where to save files on your computer's hard drive when you use the "Copy to Local Media" command, which is in the menu when you right-click songs listed in Media Library > Devices > (drive/device) > song list.
ie. it is the path to use when copying files from the device to hard drive (the opposite/reverse of sync).

The relevant setting for copying from hard drive to usb device is in Prefs > Portables > Drive > Advanced tab, as in my screenshot above... which it seems you've now found, lol.

As for defaults, well, firstly, this is what can happen when there's been about 20 or more different coders working on Winamp in the past 10+ years.
Secondly, I think it's because Gracenote CDDB uses Artist for AlbumArtist and TrackArtist for Artist, which is why the CD Rip settings are like that,
whereas pmp uses the more standard id3 tag style AlbumArtist & Artist method.

I agree that it's confusing and should probably be changed to be more consistent.

I'll have to get back to you later about the rest....
Old 13th June 2011, 23:20   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
No. The point of that setting is to tell Winamp where to save files on your computer's hard drive when you use the "Copy to Local Media" command, which is in the menu when you right-click songs listed in Media Library > Devices > (drive/device) > song list.
ie. it is the path to use when copying files from the device to hard drive (the opposite/reverse of sync).
well needless to say, that isn't clear AT ALL! i had no idea thats what it was for. that dialog shows as a result of highlighting the "Prefs>Portables" option in prefs. i assumed it meant something different obviously, (where/how to copy ML local files TO, not portable files from a device to local HD). but it was a rational assumption to make imo. the dialog itself could do a much better job, imo, in providing some explanation of what it does.

a lot of frustration b/c of that!

Quote:
The relevant setting for copying from hard drive to usb device is in Prefs > Portables > Drive > Advanced tab, as in my screenshot above... which it seems you've now found, lol.
indeed. but again, don't miss the main point here:

IT HAS FUBAR DEFAULTS! and almost as importantly, if you were used to functions of "format help" as per cd ripping, then you wouldn't think anything was wrong unless you checked this areas format help as well! again, totally fubar imo on all counts.

its especially confusing b/c when its WIFI it works properly regardless of these settings; these settings only seem to apply to USB mode for some reason???!!!

Quote:
As for defaults, well, firstly, this is what can happen when there's been about 20 or more different coders working on Winamp in the past 10+ years.
i understand that, and it is complex and so on, and things/standards, etc, evolve over time; but honestly, you guys should test the defaults when you roll out something totally new like android apps, and esp if reliable users/testers like me post things that say there is a problem. anything like this, you should know you need to at the very least, test what happens when a regular album, AND a comp album, are xferred to droid using wifi AND usb, and stock, default, 5.61 settings.

i mean seriously, that seems very basic to me.

even now, a user has to go in and mess around like i have been for months, trying to find the right magic sauce. it would be better if sensible defaults were in place from the get go!

(and the defaults for cd ripping, an ancient feature, are also fubar, btw. same lack of attention to detail, need)

you could say that TPE2 is only becoming commonplace lately as a defense, but thats not really very true anymore, and even if a user doesn't have albumartist values, winamp could incorporate easy logic to substitute for it when xfers for these devices are done.

Quote:
Secondly, I think it's because Gracenote CDDB uses Artist for AlbumArtist and TrackArtist for Artist, which is why the CD Rip settings are like that,
whereas pmp uses the more standard id3 tag style AlbumArtist & Artist method.

I agree that it's confusing and should probably be changed to be more consistent.
thats a good explanation of how this happened, and i agree with it, but yes, something def needs to change. (i think the gracenote way is stupid, i like the usb way)

and again, its the default values winamp uses thats the main beef, the "format help" issues only compound the problem.

Quote:
I'll have to get back to you later about the rest....
i hope i haven't put you off, b/c i think all this stuff is important. the using TPE2 values for who albums are by, is a minor, but nonetheless important and highly visible bug.

--
Old 13th June 2011, 23:40   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek1 View Post
Thats the latest, yes.
Yes, so I tought too.
Thats just the case, it does not.
Ek1,

my apologies on hijacking your thread as i thought we were having the same issue, and it now seems to me yours is somewhat different from mine.

can you please explain if you xfer via usb or wifi? does the same thing happen in both cases?

can you please state what does happen under each, and where you think its getting the settings from? can you try altering those prefs and see if it has any effect?

i am beginning to believe xfer via wifi has no user settings/prefs a user can adjust.

--
Old 14th June 2011, 00:07   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Correct. There's currently no setting for determining the path/filename for Android Wifi transfers.
It's just hard coded to X:\Music\AlbumArtist\Album\XX - Title
and uses Artist if no AlbumArtist is specified.

You can only specify the path/filename with usb transfers via the Advanced tab (as in my screenshot).

There's no drive when the device is connected by wifi, so you can't specify a drive like you can with usb.

Whether there's a way to specify the filename structure is something for Benski or one of the other devs to answer.
But what I do know is that Android Wifi can't use the same setting as what's currently in the usb device > Advanced tab.
Old 14th June 2011, 00:08   #12
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
well needless to say, that isn't clear AT ALL! i had no idea thats what it was for. ... i assumed it meant something different obviously, (where/how to copy ML local files TO, not portable files from a device to local HD). but it was a rational assumption to make imo. the dialog itself could do a much better job, imo, in providing some explanation of what it does.

a lot of frustration b/c of that!
There will be the following at top of that page 'This determines the path and filename when using the Copy To Local Media feature for copying songs from devices back to your computer's hard drive.' which should alleviate the mis-conception of what that page is related to.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 00:53   #13
MrSinatra
Forum King

thx guys.

again i hope that my unvarnished feedback is taken in the constructive manner in which its intended!

Egg, might be an idea to document the wifi/usb difference in the dialog. it might be the easy explanation for Ek1's issues, i don't think people understand what you laid out. i suspected it for a while now actually, but i wasn't sure exactly of the implementation.

--
Old 14th June 2011, 01:19   #14
Ek1

Quote:

I set the File Name Format to:
F:\mp3\<Albumartist>\<Album> - <Year>\<filename>

and as you can see, the file was transferred to:
F:\mp3\Papercranes\Vidalia - 2006\02 - Treasure.mp3
Or not.

There is no 'advanced' tab.
Old 14th June 2011, 08:32   #15
Ek1

Seems the forum ate my reply that had pic's.
Quote:
There is no advanced tab in Portables/E7. :-/
Old 14th June 2011, 16:37   #16
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@Ek1

Ahh, so it's not a standard usb device then.
The Advanced tab is only there for devices handled by pmp_usb.dll or pmp_android.dll (not wifi).
(Well, there's also an Advanced tab for iPod (pmp_ipod.dll) but with different options, mainly just for gapless playback).

This leads me to believe that your device is being handled by one of pmp_p4s.dll or pmp_activesync.dll instead.
Alas, these devices do not mount as a drive and also don't allow for path/filename configuration.
Music is stored by default in "\Music\Artist\Album\## - Title" format.
Sorry.

Also note that the setting in your screenshot that you've changed to D:\Music & <Artist>\<year> <Album>\## <Title> is for when using the Copy To Local Media feature, which is in the menu when you right-click items in: Media Library > Devices > (Device) > Song list, ie. it is the setting for copying files from the device back to your computer's hard drive.
Old 14th June 2011, 18:36   #17
MrSinatra
Forum King

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383801,00.asp

looks like Symbian is over.

--
Old 14th June 2011, 21:13   #18
Ek1

Quote:
How does this help sending my music over to E7?
Old 14th June 2011, 21:31   #19
MrSinatra
Forum King

it doesn't. if you saw what egg posted, you already know you're probably out of luck.

so you could move to droid and use usb, or similar. i really love my droid x, which after years of LG phones is the first phone i actually enjoy using. but anyway given that symbian is likely over, its also not likely that winamp will do anything to try to get it to do more than it does now, so consider that post a fyi.

--
Old 15th June 2011, 14:44   #20
Ek1

Quote:
Music is stored by default in "\Music\Artist\Album\## - Title" format.
Sorry.
Puuh, why can't the default be changed to something that has bit more sense. Its quite annoying end up have hundreds of folders by having handful of albums that have various artists.
Quote:
it doesn't.
Ah, so your just trolling, k.
Old 15th June 2011, 16:49   #21
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek1 View Post
Ah, so your just trolling, k.
don't be a dick.

--
Old 2nd July 2011, 15:27   #22
wausr11

I found another bug in the new 1.1 on Android I think:
It seems to use the Artist instead of AlbumArtist when it is set.
Using 5.62 and 1.1 on my Android, I can only use it when i play my music using album on the Android Device. the AlbumArtist tag is absolute useless and not working.
I dont understand why the Android Winamp is so unusable. Making a simple strucutre from the tags should cover anything:
-Genre
-Albumartist (or Artist if not set)
-Album
-Discnumber !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Track
-Title
With this structure EVERYTHING is covered and should work.
wausr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 20:55   #23
MrSinatra
Forum King

EDIT: duh on me, good point DrO.

i meant for the previous poster tho to read this thread again, b/c the answers he seeks are in it.

--
Old 2nd July 2011, 21:00   #24
DrO

eh? what's the point of linking this thread back to itself?

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 22:38   #25
MrSinatra
Forum King

i am having a problem getting a Droid X2 to work.

i use this string on my Droid X and its fine:

when i xfer music over via usb, it shows up in the app, np.

so for the X2 i put this:

I:\Music\<Albumartist>\<Album>\## - <Artist> - <Title>

and the music SEEMS to xfer, but perhaps too quickly. and then when i fire up the app, i get no music listed at all!

do i need to use a different string for X2? (winamp does not seem to recognize the X2 as an android device, but does list it as Drive I)

--
Old 19th July 2011, 06:11   #26
MrSinatra
Forum King

both of us: 5.621
both of us: droid app 1.1.1

ok some some things to point out. i have a droid X, and my friend has the X2. i'm trying to help him out.

with me, i can see the droid x AS a droid x in winamp, regardless of if i do wifi or USB.

as documented earlier in the thread, i can xfer music to the droid X properly now, so that it uses this string for USB which i as the user can set in prefs:

or it will do this, according to DJ Egg if using wifi, which i think is accurate, but its hardcoded and can't be changed:

X:\Music\AlbumArtist\Album\XX - Title

(where X for me would really be G, the above was just Eggs shorthand)

now, either way, when i xfer the songs over, the artwork also goes and works in the winamp app for droid.

(i do want to note however, that imo xfers via USB are very staccato like, and take longer than they should)

also, we both store artwork in the album folder as Folder.jpg

so onto the problems:

------

now, my friend has a droid X2.

winamp recognizes his device as a droid X2 when connected via wifi, BUT NOT when connected via USB! its just an " I " drive when connected via USB for some reason, BUT WHY?

i also had him put the same string in prefs that i'm using above, but his uses an I, so his string is:

I:\Music\<Albumartist>\<Album>\## - <Artist> - <Title>

this does work, BUT ART DOESN'T SHOW UP/WORK that way.

when he uses WIFI to xfer songs, the art DOES show up.

i think something is wrong here, and i'm not sure if its with how winamp is doing usb on the X2, or if its with his setup, in that his setup isn't recognizing the X2 thru some fault of his?

btw, we didn't try shoutcast on his X2, but the music we sent over, whether by wifi or usb did play.

so two problems:

1. winamp doesn't recognize his X2 as an X2 when connected via USB, just as a portable drive "I"

2. when xfering music to the X2 via USB the music shows up, but without any artwork.

what should he do, fix, look at? is this expected behavior? if it is, why?

--
Old 19th July 2011, 07:08   #27
MrSinatra
Forum King

also i spoke too soon regarding my situation as i am noticing something strange. again, i just have a normal droid X.

i deleted everything from my droid X, and got it empty. i then did a series of wifi xfers. one albumartist only had one song; one had multiple albums with only one song in each album; and some were normal multi song albums.

at first, all the artwork worked on all of them np, songs played with art, etc...

i then connected USB, deleted the albumartist who had multiple albums of one song each, and then USB xferred over an album of 7 songs.

the artwork shows on that new USB album, but of the three remaining wifi albums, only ONE still had artwork! (the one with only one song) the other two lost theirs! now only see the llama, but how??? why???

this is serious crazy BS. this is the kind of thing that drives people crazy.

in addition to that, winamp can be a PITA discovering the phone. i don't know where the fault lies, but it sux having to go into the winamp droid app phone settings and uncheck/recheck enable wireless sync to get it to be discovered.

--
Old 5th October 2011, 11:44   #28
Daba

Quote:
The Advanced tab is only there for devices handled by pmp_usb.dll or pmp_android.dll (not wifi).
I have Galaxy S and i don't have the Advanced tab either, How come my phone is not supported? I thought all Androids were supported by the pmp_android.dll?
I have connected trough USB.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...axywinamp.png/

Solved:
I had to change the usb settings in my phone to "Mass storage", it appears that "Samsung Kies" wont work.
Then in Winamp go to Plug-ins / Portables / [pmp_android.dll] and click "Configure selected plug-in".
Now you have to manually connect the phone in the configuration window.
Daba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 01:57   #29
xpmule

What a mess to read through ugggh
People need to be more clear and stay on topic and others refrain from hijacking..
xpmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
naming convention, output filenames, portable