Go Back   Winamp Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Site Design

Old 20th August 2011, 12:26   #1
Nick_G

Time to change the way the Shoutcast directory works?

Hi all.

A new member on here so be gentle

I've never really liked the way the Shoutcast directory shows hits in blocks of 10, with the constant need to click on 'Show More'. Now, I'm not sure if it's related to the bug that was posted on here a few days ago, but the 'Show More' button frequently stops for me and won't show the next 10 hits, forcing me to start the search all over again. I wonder if there was a system like the Reciva directory, where you could choose, say 10, 20, 50 or 100 hits per page, would this solve frustrating problems like this?

Hopefully it will get fixed soon, but it makes it hard work using the directory. What do others think?

Regards,
Nick
Nick_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 19:10   #2
Nick_G

Now the search by codec type isn't working at all, with no results coming up

The search by bitrate is at least working although I haven't tried a thorough evaluation as yet...
Old 22nd August 2011, 19:12   #3
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

have you looked at the forum announcement which explains why things aren't working properly / at all at the moment?

-daz

If you have issues with Winamp or still want to get it, ensure
you get v5.666 build 3516 and the required plug-in updates
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:39   #4
Nick_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
have you looked at the forum announcement which explains why things aren't working properly / at all at the moment?

-daz
Yes I did see that but I wasn't sure if this bug was related. Aquarius Antares seems to think that it is not.

I'd still prefer a less cumbersome way of searching through the directory.
Old 23rd August 2011, 20:00   #5
dotme

User interfaces are always subject to opinion (beauty is in the eye of the beholder) but I've often found that just because something can be done, doesn't make it the best thing to do.

JQuery scripting errors are abundant on the Shoutcast.com website when viewed by the world's most popular browser, and have been for some time. AJax has its place, but not if it renders a site unusable or unfriendly.

Sometimes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it... lol

The Shoutcast team are working hard to try and provide a good experience, and I'm not knocking their efforts. But those of us in tech, armed with Firefox and Chrome, tend to forget that more than half of Internet users still run MSIE.

http://insights.chitika.com/2011/2710/

@Nick - Google Chrome will probably fix the broken "Show More" issue you're experiencing from time to time. There's still no slick way to show 50 results per page like there used to be though.
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 20:02   #6
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

it was (and possibly still is) affecting searching on the site / in apps / via the Winamp pages.

Aquarius Antares is referring more to other things although somewhat related, are to do with things when the system is working and isn't comparable in the current state of the system.

as for the pages themselves, it's a fair point but i doubt it's going to change any time soon (at least to my knowledge) though i love being proven wrong when it comes to things to do with the SC site

-daz

Old 23rd August 2011, 20:05   #7
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotme View Post
Sometimes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it... lol
true, but then sometimes doing nothing will lead to things breaking as well...

there's bugs in the site i'd like to see fixed but as i don't have the current means to try out fixes / updates, there's little i can do to do it, ignoring everything on the tools, etc that i'm currently trying to do (so much to do, so little time, heh).

-daz

Old 24th August 2011, 00:53   #8
Nick_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotme View Post
@Nick - Google Chrome will probably fix the broken "Show More" issue you're experiencing from time to time. There's still no slick way to show 50 results per page like there used to be though.
Unfortunately not. I just did a search of AAC+ streams using Google Chrome and it stalled after the first 10 hits. Also, it doesn't show all the 128k or better streams like Firefox does; they are all mixed up randomly.

The Firefox way is best for me. No other browser seems to sift out the higher quality streams for some reason.
Old 6th February 2012, 22:17   #9
neralex

neralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 02:07   #10
yoursearchsucks

I joined just to complain about this very topic... I think it is very fucking stupid that when I search a specific term, lets say "ambient" I get only 10 out of the 181 results instead of the whole 181 or even an option to do 50/100 at a time. I'm not listening anymore untill I don't have to waste my time clicking "show more" 19 times.. dumb asses..
yoursearchsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 12:25   #11
russzero

hi. i agree about the "show more" thing. i would rather it show all. but thats not such a bad thing.
funny thing is when i use my pad with android i don't have any problems whatsoever. it shows ALL and plays everything so far.

another weird one is the player using firepox.
i always seem to forget .. but when i say to myself "i think ill listen to something online" and fire up shoutcast .. everthings hunky dory ... then i go to change station and i keep getting this box pop up saying "how do you want to listen?" errr??? well the same as before surely! so why do i have to pull wots left of my hair out trying to convince firepox to play the stream in the default player! im still trying to get it to work at this moment. grrrrrrrrr. give me strength.
oh ps. i have changed the settings over and over but that doesn't solve this issue.
russzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Site Design