Old 14th February 2012, 19:41   #1241
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior of the Light View Post
Fuck harddrives. i have my entire basement* filled with autistic chinese wonderkids that excel in remembering arrays of binary numbers.

*= Spoiler: I don't have a basement
post translation:

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 22:07   #1242
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
SSDs are only now becoming available in enterprise storage, and most admins I know still don't trust them enough for write-heavy servers like SQL or Exchange.

Magnetic drives aren't going away anytime soon, at least in the enterprise unless there is a major breakthrough with SSD pricing and reliability.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2012, 23:15   #1243
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
@ fc*uk - Well then you obviously don't have proper accomodations. Send those kids to me. I have 5 dungeon-looking basement rooms for "data storage". I do question their read and write speeds though.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 00:22   #1244
fc*uk

^

Not me, Ted. WotL. Chinese children in the basement? Oh the horrors!

Hey, wait a second, I'm taking WotL's escape clause on this too; I sold my house; I don't have a basement --- and likely never will again.

Did you know houses in Florida don't have basements? I sure did not. I would guess this has something to do with hurricanes/water tables, but could be wrong.

As for a niggling annoyance: new new apartment neighbor has two to three dogs; they always bark. It has been 4 days now; it's past old.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 15:13   #1245
Warrior of the Light
Fοrum King (AVS Reviewer)

Is TDM permanently gone or did he sign up for a one-day-only ticket for banned camp?

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 15:53   #1246
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

it is up to TDM what happens when the ban expires and that's all that will be said about the matter.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 20:58   #1247
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

@ fc*uk ~ I was aware that houses in Phoenix and Las Vegas typically don't have basements (I have family in those areas with basementless houses), so I guess it doesn't surprise me what you said about Florida. I'm not sure why this is the case either.

Also, sorry for replying to you when I was supposed to be replying to WotL.

Small Niggling Annoyance:

Microwaves in public places, such as places of work (not necessarily my place of work). Sometimes it looks like people intentionally put explosives in their lunches and then never clean up after themselves. Some of that stuff looks like it won't even come off with a hammer and chisel.

Old 19th February 2012, 00:38   #1248
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Personally I do opt-out of their advertising cookie
That's probably not the greatest idea. When you opt out of the dart cookie, you don't get rid of the ads, you just make sure they aren't targeted.

That means you're gonna only gonna the worst "run of market" ads.

The new privacy policy is still compliant with the Dart policy. Dart was a voluntary effort by Google and some other ad companies to develop ethical standards for how online advertising is handled.

Mainly, it's that they don't collect personally identifiable information such as your name, address, phone number, etc.

They still don't.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 19th February 2012 at 01:59.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2012, 02:07   #1249
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I'd rather not support their "targeting". I don't want advertisers to know what I click on, what I buy, etc. I want to limit what advertisers know about people as much as possible so they don't know what to throw at me. This makes me that much less willing to buy their shit. I prefer reviews to ads when shopping and buying anyway.

Old 19th February 2012, 05:17   #1250
rockouthippie
Banned

Gee. I guess I have ordered an extra Dominos pizza... If you order a Dominos, you'll see a lot of Dominos ads.

I think what you are doing is favoring the bottom feeders over real advertisers. You can't buy targeted advertising for what "run of market" costs.

You should probably just use adblock. The best way to do ad blocking is at the router. That way your whole lan is blocked. Find a router that will run dd-wrt. Make a little wanup script to pull a adblock hosts file from a web server someplace. Stick that in /etc/hosts.

When the router finishes booting.... no ads... no place...... My hosts file doesn't block major advertisers. I commented most of those out. Adblocking can cause malfunctions, so getting too aggressive can cause problems...... Still, there are a few hundred spammy, dangerous places, you didn't want your computer loading pages from. Might take a 3rd degree nerd an hour to figure out.

I think you got a lot more to worry about on the internet that what Google and these dart guys are doing. They're playing it straight with everybody.

It's the ones that don't give you a privacy policy you gotta worry about.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 19th February 2012 at 06:18.
Old 19th February 2012, 16:29   #1251
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I hate ads enough to pay to get rid of them. I do use adblock plus, with the all-ads setting (even "non-intrusive" ones).

Remember cable TV? It used to be where you pay so you don't get bothered with ads. That's what I would prefer if it were a possibility, but I suppose it is not, considering # of channels on cable vs. # of web sites online.

Old 20th February 2012, 17:24   #1252
Warrior of the Light
Fοrum King (AVS Reviewer)

I've only ads on my site for one day only - I switched to another server the day after.

I understand larger sites need money for upkeep but please allow me to to make a donation.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 16:12   #1253
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
please allow me to to make a donation
LOL! Be honest. When was the last time you donated to anything? It's cheesy to even ask. Not most of us are Brewster Kahle, trying to look androgynous, begging for enough money to keep his semi-trailer full of servers running.

The web at large in the US gets $30BN from advertising. Let's just subtract that $30BN from the Internet............ and the internet is GONE!

If it weren't for adblock, there'd be at least another $5BN out there for grabs. I'd like to see webmasters have the $5BN.

Quote:
I've only ads on my site for one day only
You might look at the hobby web I set up in 2006 - below. It gets enough traffic that it needs a dedicated server. It's got cloud hosting to serve 200TB of data a month. And it needs a lot of work..... I try to pay myself $20 an hour. It doesn't work out that way sometimes.

I could do something for free. It would suck. I can make a pretty good estimate as to how much a web, like below would draw in donations. Probably about $1000 a year.

That wouldn't even pay the hosting.

Now I'm just gonna fire up my ad supported copy of Winamp and be glad somebody got paid to do something cool.... even if OMG! Someone had to look at a banner ad.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 28th February 2012 at 18:14.
Old 28th February 2012, 23:16   #1254
fc*uk

Bloody banks.

Due to personal reasons and the disclosure of personal info on a public forum, I really won't discuss this much further.

But .... I bailed your ass out and you now won't give me a paltry loan (paltry meaning my yearly income nearly equals what I am asking for) because there is too big of a risk?

Piss off!

When I did not have a dollar to my name, you offered me a loan for a cool million, which I refused because I was being responsible. Now that I've almost got enough money to cover what I am after, you won't give it to me because I don't have enough?!?! What is the bloody point then!?

ppppfffffffttttttt!
Old 28th February 2012, 23:40   #1255
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Strange. They're still willing to give me a loan far bigger than I could ever be capable of paying off, while others who are more capable get far less in offers. Banks are a fucking joke. Go to credit unions.

Old 28th February 2012, 23:50   #1256
ujay
Forum King

You're not asking for enough.

If you want to borrow 100 grand it's a big risk because it's underwritten by you.
If you want to borrow 100 billion it's no risk at all because it's underwritten by the taxpayer.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 01:32   #1257
fc*uk

Seriously ujay and ted.

Maybe I should ask for 100 billion.... there is some logic there.

@Ted: I believe I have said this before. My wife and my mother's were both teachers. My mother was grade school music and my wife's was high school art. Needless to say, through our respective parents, we are somewhat familiar with the educational system in America. I've said to to thousands of people and I'll say it again, you sir are not nearly paid enough.

As educators of the future of this country, I would like hope that this country would see the need to pay our educators more. Unfortunately we do not. I stand on my soap box from time to time about this, unfortunately, I don't know who to yell at. This almost seems like common sense, yet for some reason, the US just does not get it ...
Old 29th February 2012, 02:36   #1258
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Well, I appreciate that and whole-heartedly agree, a masters, service since '01, and coaching gets a guy around 40K here (pretax, pre-student loans)(I'm only disclosing because my job description and compensation is public domain and easy to look up online), but what I'm saying more is that someone with my income shouldn't be eligible for the enormous loans they offer me when I look at real estate. During my last job in Iowa (we were in the market in 2009), the bank we worked with suggested (and pre-approved) a budget almost three times what a prudent person would accept. Basically, if I were to take on that kind of debt, almost 90% of my post tax and student loan income would go towards mortgage and insurance alone, with the other 10% paying for utilities, food, clothing, furniture, medicine, transportation, and everything else! Luckily we didn't accept all of what they offered, otherwise we'd go down like a $5 whore!

We really need to find a way for banks to be held accountable for this kind of nonsense. I have a friend that designs bridges, making far more than I do, has good credit, and can't get a loan for half of what I was offered. Why?

Old 1st March 2012, 00:11   #1259
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Google... Google... Gone.

I just closed my entire Google account. This means all youtubes, gmail, etc. I don't agree with their new privacy policy and therefore will seek other means to do things online. If you feel like this is something you want to do, click the link below:

http://support.google.com/accounts/b...4140&ctx=topic

Old 1st March 2012, 01:53   #1260
fc*uk

I agree Ted (previous post about banks; well google too).

I'm about ready to just tell the bank to shove it, wait another year, go back to the same bank and ask them to finance me the $50 because I can't cover it. Something is truly wrong here.

On a side note, I was fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to rent a Ferrari 360 Spider for $50 when I am in Toronto this weekend. Oh my god ... sooooo looking forward to that it almost makes my laugh about this bank shit. I only wonder who is going to pay the speeding ticket when I get one ...

Personally, even if I could afford it, I would never own a car like that. A vehicle needs to get you from point a to b and spending $200,000+ for that to happen is just absurd, no matter what one's income is. However, I'll be damned if I am going to pass up the opportunity to drive one for a mere $50.
Old 1st March 2012, 20:26   #1261
Sabine Klare
Major Dude

Hello Ted,
there are some other video-platforms: Vimeo, MyVideo, Dailymotion etc. I can give You some links:
http://vimeo.com/
http://www.myvideo.de/
http://www.dailymotion.com/de
Some platforms seem to be in German. I think, Vimeo could be the best platform for You...
Greetings from Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 23:58   #1262
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Thank you very much. I'll give them a try.

Old 2nd March 2012, 15:59   #1263
rockouthippie
Banned

The new privacy policy is just a unification of all the privacy policies that each individual Google product always had.

You think any alternative services you might use are going to be better than Google? I think that's naive.

Ever shop at Target? They are notorious. Target does collect personally identifiable information. Do you have any credit cards? You can bet they are keeping track of what you buy.

This is an article about a dad who was all pissed off at Target for sending his teenage daughter coupons for baby supplies ..... Ooops!

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2..._pregnancy.php

The EU has some problems with Google over the new privacy policy:

http://www.totaltele.com/view.aspx?ID=471788

The EU doesn't like Google. They wish they owned it. Past that, the investigation is mostly just to make sure Google is abiding it's privacy policy. It's not an indictment of the privacy policy.

I remember one time, I was taking some crap off an electronics technician because I was a salesman.

"If I don't sell it, how do you expect to have a job fixing it?"

The "hippie" argument here is "I don't need ads, I always know what I want.".

If it weren't for ads, what you wanted to buy wouldn't likely even exist. Things are good and cheap because people go out and sell a lot of whatever it is.

Cut the number of ipads sold in half and .... oops!... there isn't enough money in it to make an ipad.... or your truck... or half the stuff in your house.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 2nd March 2012 at 17:45.
Old 25th March 2012, 23:45   #1264
fc*uk

People soliciting me at places of business (hardware store, grocery store, etc.). These solicitors are not selling goods of similar category as the place of business.

The store allows this.

Fine. Every time I see this going on I will run to your nearest competitor and shop there.

Leave me alone. If I wanted to purchase a cruise with my groceries I would have stopped by a travel agent as well.
Old 27th March 2012, 00:15   #1265
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

It's very funny you mention this; someone just today called my work phone trying to sell me a vacation package and wouldn't seem to take no for an answer, even though I tried explaining that it's my work phone number and not to be used for anything but work. It's an unlisted direct number to my office that very few people have; most have to go through my secretary, so I don't know how they got the number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
or your truck...
Yeah, about that... I have to say Toyota does advertise a lot, more than necessary if you ask me, but it seems to be working for them, so I guess I don't have much ground to stand on. My camera is from a company that advertises a lot too - Canon. But, if you look through most of the stuff I have, you'll see that it comes from brands and stores that aren't advertised much at all other than through word of mouth.

Old 27th March 2012, 13:57   #1266
Sabine Klare
Major Dude

Always these changing of profile-styles in the well-known platforms...
2 days ago I was shocked, because I got my „surprise“ in Facebook.
Facebook will change all pages to the “Chronic” on 30th March. For the personal profiles the “Chronic” is also offered, I didn’t get the answer by asking for the exact date, when all personal profiles will be changed by Facebook, too. Everybody has got the offer “Get the chronic” or a similar text (In German: “Hol Dir die Chronik”). I swear, I have NEVER clicked on this offer, because I didn’t want to have it.
I wanted to listen to some music in Mixcloud, what I did very often so many times. I had logged in also there, not only in Facebook. I started the play, and suddenly I myself had found my personal profile as “Chronic”. I don’t know until today, if the starting of the play was the cause.
I thought: Okay, after the 3rd played cloudcast in Mixcloud (it is new, that Mixcloud continues automatically with the playing of a next cloudcast), I will close Firefox (I had 6 tabs open, and “firefox.exe” was already over 1 GB RAM in my task manager). I had closed Firefox, then I had reopened it and I had cleared all cookies and caches, then I had logged in again.
I had looked everywhere in my profile, what I could do to roll back to my old profile, but nothing had helped, I cannot roll back anymore.
In the “Chronic” I cannot see the most of my auto-posted video-links from YouTube anymore, only the others see them. How can I click “Like”, if I don’t see these links?
I had hestitated to activate the auto-postings of the plays in SoundCloud, because the activating would have required the upgrading to the “Chronic”, but after I suddenly had got it, I didn’t see this message anymore, and I could activate it, because it didn’t matter anymore.
The others see my old profile for the next days, because I am the only one, who sees my “Chronic”, before it will be published on 1st April by Facebook. But if the others look to my photo-albums in Facebook, they will see, that I had got the “Chronic”.
During enjoying very hard Tech House in Mixcloud also today (together with the URL “linein://”) Windows Explorer has suddenly crashed (I have only controlled my fresh screenshots from today). I have closed the folder with the image-files and I have reopenend it in hope, it would work again. Nothing helps, after the play of the very long cloudcast today I have to reboot my computer, and I don’t like rebootings very much...
Greetings from Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Old 13th April 2012, 18:56   #1267
Sabine Klare
Major Dude

Now I am here again.
The total crash of Windows Explorer has left a much bigger damage, than I have thought at first. At first little things did not work porperly anymore, but I could continue to enjoy the music. Today my Firefox had a black window, after the rebooting the black window stayed in the pop-up-windows, although I am here with Firefox itself now.
And I think, I have to reinstall my Windows Vista Home Premium (I want to stay at 32bit). This means, I will lose all my software. I have copied my latest Winamp Backup now onto my USB-stick.
That's a big shit!
Maybe I am not here for some days...
Old 13th April 2012, 19:57   #1268
rockouthippie
Banned

No stop?

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

Basically, if you do an upgrade install over your current install (even though it's not an upgrade), with some caveats, you can fix windows and keep your program data. It's at least worth a shot.

When the system posts, you should see some bios messages going by. Make sure the S.M.A.R.T on your hard disk isn't telling you the hard disk is about to go south.... if your bios won't tell you:

http://www.urltoy.com/asc.htm

You don't want to install everything and find out you have a bad hard disk.
Old 13th April 2012, 23:44   #1269
Sabine Klare
Major Dude

Thank You for the links, rockouthippie.
I have used "Hijackthis" (which I have downloaded from a thread in the Winamp Forums) and have have sent the copied text from my Hijackthis-logfile 3 times to this website (it's in German):
http://www.hijackthis.de/de
The analysis have been done and I have used "Fix checked" 2 times for the selected items.
The next step would be following the instructions in Your links.
My computer is 3 years old now and in use very often. It could be also possible, that my 1000 GB harddrive could die some day. But then I will replace my current harddrive by a 2000 GB harddrive...
Old 14th April 2012, 06:40   #1270
rockouthippie
Banned

Usually hard disks are on a 5 year mission these days, so that should be ok. I would expect a 3 year old Vista install to need replacement though. Sometimes you can get away with "upgrade" like I mentioned. The odds are better than not that you'll get a sane machine and most of your programs will work... at least that's my experience.

If you can afford it, Window 7 -64 and 8 gigs of ram will make you a much happier windows camper. I wouldn't bother with 64 bit Vista. Windows 7 is better all around, but strikingly better running 32 bit programs on 64 bit OS. It's also just generally more compatible, faster....etc. In my case, one program I use didn't work. That's obsolete Nero 7. Very obsolete. Everything else I've tried runs fine. It runs stuff Vista wont with the compatibility settings set.

Memory is very cheap right now. I did 16GB for <$100.
Old 14th April 2012, 16:50   #1271
Sabine Klare
Major Dude

Windows 7 64bit?
Many other electronic-musicans and video-artists have complained, that their artist-software would not work on Windows 7 64bit. At my bed I have a notebook with Windows 7 64bit (750 GB harddrive, 4 GB RAM, 1600x900 pixel monitor), but "7zip" does not work there. I am glad enough, that I can listen to my music and watch my videos also at my bed, but I cannot create music-videos on Windows 7 64bit because of the flickerings, which are caused by Windows 7 64bit.
My "Main PC" in our music-studio is for many things, for enjoying the shows, for composing and creating music-videos etc., and creating music-videos works very fine on my "Main PC" with Windows Vista 32bit and with my 26" Full HD monitor (1920x1200 pixel).
It's a pity, that upgrades for Windows Vista 32bit are not available anymore on the website of microsoft. I have already the Service Pack 2 of Windows Vista on my "Main PC".
Somebody has told me, I should run the CCleaner, but I must be very careful, because I don't want to destroy my Winamp-Playlists and my Winamp-Settings.
Maybe my problems could be also caused by Adobe Flash or Internet Explorer, or it's because of the changings to HTML5, which is not compatible with some older things on my "Main PC".
I could run the pop-up-player of MySpace in Firefox again for 1 hour, I have tested it after my work with "Hijackthis". Then the pop-up-windows in Firefox were black again...
Old 14th April 2012, 17:13   #1272
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

the current versions of 7-zip work fine on the 64-bit version of Windows 7 (and have been doing so in the few years i've had Windows 7 installed).

if anything, most issues stem from using older drivers or software which is not properly compatible with Vista / Windows 7, but that is going to be same with anyone using Vista and why i don't know as Windows 7 is what Vista should have been the first time round.

but each to their own, though based on things you've been saying for the last year and a half, i'm not too surprised your machines are not working properly as it sounds like they really just need to be wiped and start over again.

as for the comment about HTML5, things which are classed as HTML5 have been around since before Vista was released and it's just a constantly evolving 'standard' for different modern web-based technologies and is not something that can be fixed as a specific 'thing'.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 19:05   #1273
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I have no trouble (64 bit 7 Ultimate) with any of that. You may need to do backups and try a fresh install of the OS.

Old 15th April 2012, 01:38   #1274
Sabine Klare
Major Dude

Thank You all.
I will test 7-zip again, some zip- and rar-files were not extracted, when I had copied them.
I am very glad, that all my audio-/video-/image-files are saved on sticks, and the same files are at my bed.
I know from others and also from the service shop, that software itself cannot be saved, although a musician had copied a free downloaded and installed software from his older PC to his newer PC. I don't know, if this would be also possible with the bought musician- and video-software, because these software must be registered to work properly. Re-installing that software is the last way for me (I had bought all these software as CD-/DVD-ROM), but maybe I have no other choice.
I have some CD-/DVD-ROM, which I got together with my computer, for Recovery etc., and I should take them in the next time. But at first I have to study, what I should do at best, I have to know all the steps exactly. I should also watch all the behaviour on my computer in the next time.
Maybe further rebootings or totally turn offs for some minutes should be good for the next tests (and I will visit for the tests also MySpace in Firefox again).
I should also ask some Facebook-Friends again, what they had done in their cases.
I think, after 14 hours live-event (16:00-6:00) I have to rest a little bit, because my back pains me, too, then I will continue to study everything, in hope, to leave all the pain behind me soon...
Old 15th April 2012, 10:43   #1275
rockouthippie
Banned

Check this out. You can make windows 7 pretend to be another windows version. It usually works if a program won't run. It let me run a couple things Vista wouldn't.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w.../compatibility
Old 15th April 2012, 18:08   #1276
Sabine Klare
Major Dude

Thank You for the link, I have just bookmarked it.
I had bought 2 software, which I could never install on Vista, because they are only compatible with Windows XP, but fortunately they were not too expensive and I can use other software instead, which are installed.
After using HijackThis I have updated and used CCleaner, then Antivir was a little bit faster, and I have currently Smart Defrag running for many hours (I didn't it 1 year long).
I have found out, how I could reset my Windows to a day before the crash. Other things are still working, so I don't think, that a virus was the cause. After Smart Defrag is ready, I want to try it. I think, I could fix it. I always want to figure out, what had happened. And if I have a question, I use the Facebook-Chat, for example.
I have my most experiences with Windows Vista, of course, but also a little bit with Windows XP, and with Windows 7 I have to learn, because Windows 7 looks very different from Windows Vista, and I love the "live-show-style" in Windows Vista on my "workstation" very much, so that I don't want to give it up, if possible...
And then I will throw everything, which has to do with a not accessible website (ask the GEMA!), into the trash basket...
Old 15th April 2012, 19:12   #1277
rockouthippie
Banned

>I have found out, how I could reset my Windows to a day before the crash.

as far before the crash as you set a system restore point.......

An update might have done it automatically. Look at your system restore points and see if there is a suitable one.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions

It ain't perfect either. Might work. The further back you have to go... the less your odds....
Old 17th April 2012, 01:09   #1278
Sabine Klare
Major Dude

These are only some days, not weeks or months. Weeks or months would be worse.
Finally Smart Defrag is ready. And I will see, how my story will continue...
Thank You again
Old 18th April 2012, 15:40   #1279
rockouthippie
Banned

Complete defragmentation isn't necessary and the stock defrag program doesn't do a complete defrag. Doing a complete defrag isn't useful.

Say you got a 1 GB video file that's in 3 pieces. That doesn't matter because the seeking to the fragmented sector will be faster than the buffer runs out of data. If you defrag that, you're just wasting a lot of time.

It's small files that need defrag. The buffer runs out before the fragmented seek. That's why the stock defrag takes an hour. It doesn't move big data. And that's ok, because it doesn't matter.

A drive can be very fragmented and still function if slowly. The program you want to be running is chkdsk.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb491051.aspx

You should take it easy on aftermarket utilities. They can often cause more trouble than they cure. That's especially since a lot of these file utilities were written for other versions of windows. You can really fry stuff if you don't watch it.

I think you are more likely to fix issues with regular windows utilities. If you load up some other program for something windows can already do, you should have an extremely good reason.

Running an aftermarket defrag program? I wouldn't. The possibility of running into Trojans, virus, or it just plain screwing your system up are too high.

Right now, I'd run chkdsk. Make sure you turn the fix option on. Then I'd proceed to looking at system restore points. Then I'd try the "upgrade" method of system cleanup I linked above. If that didn't work... I'd just wipe and start over.

You should be done by lunch.

The more you monkey around with this, the less likely you're gonna get a happy outcome.

Make sure you look at S.M.A.R.T. in detail for anything that looks suspicious. Look for incidents of the drive overheating. Is the temperature ok? You shouldn't be getting much more that 50 C. 45 would be more normal. If that isn't ok? Are you dirty? Do you have a fan out? Hot is a sign of worn out too... so that's something to consider.

If it's a Western Digital drive, you might take SUPER high temperatures with a grain of salt. WD drives are known for fritzy thermal sensors. Put your finger on the drive. If that's uncomfortable, it's too hot.
Old 18th April 2012, 17:54   #1280
Sabine Klare
Major Dude

Thank You. I have bookmarked this link.
The description is for Windows XP, but I have found "autochk" in Computer > BOOT (C) > Windows > System32... my Windows Vista has it, too.
With Smart Defrag, it's Your opinion. I have much more free space now in my BOOT (C), no matter, if my computer is faster now or not.
A friend had checked my computer, but he had found nothing. All the other things are still working.
With the black pop-up-windows in Firefox, I will wait until Firefox 12, and I know the instructions very good, because I have read the guide very often. I can use it also for Firefox.
My computer is from MEDION (I have bought it in "Aldi Nord"). If somebody tells me now "Aldi, Uarghh!", then I can only say, that computer from "Aldi" are not so bad, like they think that. The MEDION computer from "Aldi" are very good!!! Someone else has told me in a chat "Windows Vista, Uarghh!", but my Windows Vista is not "Uarghh!"...
I have my hands on the tower, and the tower is not too hot for me...
Go Back   Winamp Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist