Old 28th March 2012, 07:46   #1
johnbush4ever

Winamp won't play sounds from right speaker

I recently re-installed Winamp (version 5.6) after a mishap and everything was running great until I plugged in a different set of speakers. It made the audio on the right side either not play at all or play very low, depending on the song. I tried plugging my old speakers back in (which has a short in them anyway) and still had the same problem. I tried yet another set of speakers and STILL have the same problem. I've tried moving the balance to my left speaker, (both in winamp and audio preferences on Windows XP) and forcing mono. and it helps a lot but certain sounds in the audio still cannot be heard. I have tried using both Waveout and Directsound plugins but both have this problem. I only have the default plugins installed. Any ideas?
johnbush4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 13:38   #2
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
It kinda sounds like the set of speakers that shorted on you permanently damaged your audio interface. What are your system specs? Does it do the same thing with Windows Media Player?
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 21:37   #3
johnbush4ever

I tried testing it in Windows Media Player, but it freezes whenever I try to do anything with it.

Here are my system specs (I think. I'm not too good at this). Let me know if you need more info:
Dell DIMENSION DIM 3000
Intel (R)
Pentium (R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
2.79 GHz, 512 MB of Ram
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Old 28th March 2012, 22:51   #4
johnbush4ever

Update: Windows Media Player is having the same problems with audio files and here is a more complete/cleaner list of my system specs

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.100216-1441)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: Dimension 3000
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A01
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory: 510MB RAM
Page File: 781MB used, 464MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found

SoundMAX Digital Audio
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D5&SUBSYS_019D1028&REV_02
Manufacturer ID: 65535
Product ID: 65535
Type: WDM
Driver Name: smwdm.sys
Driver Version: 5.12.0001.5211 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 8/13/2004 15:48:58, 258368 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Analog Devices
HW Accel Level: Full
Cap Flags: 0xF5F
Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 192000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 33, 32
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 33, 32
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: Yes
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): Yes
Registry: OK
Sound Test Result: Not run
Old 29th March 2012, 03:32   #5
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
According to the system specs from the Dell website your computer has a built-in headphones jack on the front panel. See if it does the same thing when you plug in a pair of headphones in the front.

I doubt it but maybe look at your soundcard's control panel and see maybe if it's some kind of weird effects setting. Also look to see if you can update/reinstall your audio card drivers.

Unfortunately it continues to look more like your audio processor has gotten frickizied (especially since you said WMP is doing the same thing.) If that computer is still in under warranty then you might wanna get Dell on the phone and see if they can help. I doubt it though since it seems to only have come with a paltry 512 MB of ram and would indicate it's an older machine. If it's out of warranty but you want to try to continue to use it then I might suggest finding a super cheap or used PCI Soundcard to replace the fried one. I would also suggest seeing if you can cheaply upgrade your ram to 1 G or maybe even 2 G if it can handle it, but again, only if you're willing to salvage it if it is out of warranty and you can do it cheaply.

If you're not comfortable with doing these suggestions yourself then I would advise you take your computer in to a local computer repair outlet.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 02:46   #6
johnbush4ever

Yea I think you're right. My audio processor seems fried. I should be getting a new comp eventually though. In the meantime, I'm using the Somewhat Mono plugin and it works great when combined with "Force Mono: and having all the sounds come out of my left speaker/

Thanks for the help
Old 6th April 2012, 12:08   #7
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Replacement PCI sound cards are dirt cheap. Especially on EBay. If you are in the UK, send me a PM and I'll post you one for free. I have heaps of spare PC parts from the day job.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 07:04   #8
CalebS87

I have this problem too
Unfortunately, I can't find a solution for it..
CalebS87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 08:58   #9
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@CalebS87 - have you gone through the same trouble shooting options? Try attaching your speakers to an iPod or similar. And then try attaching some headphones to the computer. Note which device is missing a speaker.

Also test the front headphone socket on the PC.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012, 03:55   #10
dc78

Same problem than here. Last week, all was working just fine. This weekend, I wanted to try making autotune stuff, so I installed a bunch of sound-related programs. Now all output Winamp (and only winamp, other progs sound stereo) can do is left-only.

I wonder if it's a registery setting that changed or something else. Bug me alot.

Tested sound with VLC for exemple, sound coming just fine from left & right speaker.

If you have an idea !!
dc78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 05:34   #11
Asher
Banned

Go to the setting of Winamp and open the equlizer here is balane option on the top of the screen you just check it out the balance is in center level if this si stay on center and your speaker volume is level then it may be a cause of your software or your Audio Driver you should make sure your audio driver from the control panel and then try again...
Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 06:18   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
when u check the equalizer in winamp, is the balance control in the center?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 12:59   #13
musicmania
Banned

Do check with your headphones/earphones if you still not get sound from them, make confirm that your speakers are burnt away...
musicmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support