Old 22nd March 2012, 09:45   #1
Sabine Klare
Major Dude

Our cats have died

Cats are family members. If a cat dies, it is a big loss.
In best times many years ago we had 5 cats for a short time.
We don’t know the exact birth date of the 3 female cats Mura, Bärchen and Bambi, but we know the exact birth date of the 2 male cats Paule and Charlie.
Mura went from us with at least 9 years on 13th December 1996 (cancer, she was put to sleep), Bärchen with at least 18 Years on 19th August 2002 (her age), Bambi with 11 years on 29th December 2006 (kidney weakness and cancer, she was put to sleep).
Our 2 male cats were very good friends for 15 years (they had the same age, Paule was born on 30th April and Charlie on 2nd May). It was so terrible, when Paule’s cancer was diagnosed in Spring 2011. He got an OP and medicine, and he had nice days, although the cancer came back. But in the evening on 2th August our Paule stopped eating, he went into a half-sleep, and after midnight on 4th August he died. It was really terrible for my husband and me.
His friend Charlie was suddenly alone, but we gave him the best, and he felt very well, until 7 days ago. Then suddenly his health became worse, and 5 days ago kidney weakness was diadnosed. The veterinarian gave medicine and 3 days ago also infusions, it seems, that he would feel a little bit better for some hours. I should make consultations regularly, each 2 days. Yesterday (21st March 2012) early in the morning I wanted to have Charlie near me, so that I could see him and he could see me. My husband was in the same room. Suddenly he felt worse, we wanted to help him, then I should bring him to the veterinarian, because he should be put to sleep, but suddenly our Charlie died in my husband’s arms without the help by the veterinarian.
Our appartement is so empty now without cats. Nobody will come to us now, if we are sitting here at our PCs, nobody will come to us now, if we are in our bed.
I will never understand the death of somebody, who was part of our life for a very long time...
Greetings from Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 13:01   #2
rockouthippie
Banned

Go get another kitty. There is probably some really nice kitty down at the shelter that could use a home. I'm on my 8th dog. I've had a few kitties in my years too.

They come into our lives and share some happy for a while. They go without a sense of their own mortality. They only remember the good stuff.

We could take a lesson.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 15:44   #3
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
People with pets are more likely to live longer and are less likely to have psychological disorders.

Pets with people are more likely to live longer and are less likely to be put to sleep due to shelter and pound overpopulation.

I'm sorry about your loss. Losing a pet can be very emotionally painful. Some people, including a few of my past students in your situation have found this book useful and healing when having trouble mourning the loss of a pet. RoH lost a rottweiler a while back. I lost a pair of Labrador retrievers a while back along with several cats. The good news is that although you'll never find a pet that is the same as the one you lost, a new pet can bring new companionship that is just as mutually rewarding as the one that has passed away.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2012, 12:52   #4
Sabine Klare
Major Dude

Thank You for Your answers and thank You for the link.
Today I am here again. I was just on this page of this thread (You have to scroll to the latest posts):
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....264696&page=68
In the past I had stayed mostly in the bed and I had done nothing for many days after a death of a pet.
I had tried to continue my daily things after the death of Charlie (it was not very simple), but I have discovered again, that I don't feel very good in these days. After the death of his friend Paule I did also not feel very good for many weeks, after I had many weeks of fears because of his illness. This year I began to feel better slowly, but suddenly the illness of Charlie began, and his illness was very fast (not so many weeks).
Maybe it is because of the loss, that I was not able to sing on a live-event 3 days ago. I knew the songs, which I had heard, and I saw the song lyrics, but something in my soul had blocked me to sing. The next morning I was at my computer, and suddenly I had realized again, that my life is very empty now, and I felt the tears in my eyes again. I have these tears very often now. I think, the blockade in my soul will last many weeks again. A sorrow will always last many weeks.
I don't know yet, when we will have a new pet, I also don't know, what the future brings, maybe we should be surprised...
Greetings again
Old 7th April 2012, 20:31   #5
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

You know they all go but it still sucks when they do.

Just make sure you never get a pet to replace a lost pet. It'll never be that pet and don't compare your new one with your lost one. It's a different individual and deserves to be treated like that.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 01:59   #6
Sabine Klare
Major Dude

Yes, each pet is individual. No pet can replace another pet.
My husband and I don't like it, if somebody takes a new pet home, which looks not only similiar like the pet before, and if the new pet gets the same name like the pet before. That's not good. Each pet should get the own name, never the same name. I had met somebody many years ago, who took a similiar cat home and gave him the same name, after his cat before had died.
We had a second black cat, but the second black cat had another name than the black cat before, and the second black cat looked very different and had another character.
Maybe the destiny will decide, we ourselves don't look for a new pet, a new pet should choose us some day, if it crosses our way...
Old 8th April 2012, 14:21   #7
Sabine Klare
Major Dude

Last night I have forgotten some details, because I had to go to bed.
I have many different books about cats. I have also read many books about rabbits many years ago.
Parents of very young children should NEVER do following things, if a pet has died. They should NEVER try to replace that pet by a pet, which looks similiar and which gets the same name. The children will recognize this lie and they will be very disappointed.
Parents have to tell their children, that the pet has died and why the pet had to die. Also very young children have to learn, that a pet can die and that the new pet will NEVER be the same pet like the old one.
I saw the man, who tried to compare his new pet with his old pet, only once in my life and never again, so that I don't know, how his story had continued.
I thought, it was important to mention also these details...
Old 9th April 2012, 01:31   #8
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
I sometimes hate that one pet doesn't replace another. I had a lab ("Buddy") a while back that was utter perfection in so many ways. He knew the names of different tools and would get them for me when I asked for them. He could tow a bike on the road, a row boat in the water, or a person on skis or skates on snow and ice. He was extremely obedient and safe around babies and children. He never needed a leash, pen, tie-up or fence his entire life.

This coon-hound that I have now needs a leash and a cable-runner when tied up outside, will knock down children out of playfulness, is anything but obedient, even after lots of paid training, will devour any food you turn your back on, and will act like a little baby during thunderstorms. But, some of the things he does are so weird and/or hilarious, it makes up for it all. He's great at entertaining. When he's happy to see you, he bares his teeth, "pops wheelies", and runs either back and forth or in circles.

They're all different, but you'll find that they're all good. Go get yourself another pet.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 08:29   #9
rockouthippie
Banned

Kahn was a snotty prick. Morgen was an escape artist. Daisy was an amateur gardener and would raid a trash can if (and only if) you put any chicken in there. Then she'd get Rotty gas. BB eats the fuzz off her tennis balls and tears up paper towels.

Nobody's perfect. But they all were my pals. I gave up on the "period of mourning" a couple decades ago. Life is too short, and frankly I've had enough people to mourn that I just don't have it for my dogs.

They lived painless, spoiled and loved. They got a hug every day and gave one. We should all be so lucky. Maybe because I have fewer days ahead of me than behind, I just miss them. I quit mourning. There is little to mourn.

>. They should NEVER try to replace that pet by a pet, which looks similiar and which gets the same name.

I had 3 consecutive American Tabbies named Nikki when I was a kid. I did know it wasn't the same cat. I'm not sure my little brother and sister did, but it really didn't matter that much. I don't think my parents were trying to pass one cat off as another. I think they just liked American tabbies and the name Nikki. Hell, if I got an American tabby today, I'd probably name it Nikki.

Until kids are 7 or 8, they don't think in these terms. A kitty is a kitty.

They'd notice the cat was gone.... eventually.... but I think you could replace a cat without comment. If I am going to break the news to a kid about a dead kitty, I'm gonna have a replacement handy.

Life will teach you to mourn. It's not a lesson you needed to learn at 4. When they quit believing in the tooth fairy and Santa Claus, then you can lay death on them. You don't lie, you just employ selective truth.

You can console a kid that is feeling bad, and you should be truthful, but you didn't need to go out of your way to dump the full brunt of reality on them. It's not something they are gonna understand anyway. Probably not until they are teenagers. And they're still probably gonna have some pretty whacky ideas about the way things are. That lasts until they are about 40.

You feel bad about losing an animal. Being a good parent sometimes means you don't share. A lot of the time you don't share. You paint on a smile and take them for ice cream. Shit can be hitting the fan, but you're still daddy.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 12th April 2012 at 09:40.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > The Bitchlist

Tags
cats, death, family, life, part