winamp + android - so sad to see so much fail
These are the key fails I have come across so far:
1) Wireless sync removes the capability to USB sync. Only successful solutions: Remove all wireless libraries. In other words, one or the other but not both. Sometimes users would like a faster option than what wireless offers, but would also like to use wireless for smaller updates. Fail.
2) If one file has punctuation or any special or international characters in the metadata or filename, that file will fail on sync. Including the oh-so-common ampersand. Fail.
3) If one file fails, the playlists this file is associated with will also fail, so this playlist will not sync to your device. Fail.
4) If one playlist fails, all playlists will fail (playlist sync hangs indefinitely), so no playlists will sync to your device. Fail.
5) When any sync fail occurs, there is no cancel option. The only solution is to terminate the winamp process. Fail.
6) Device detection is hit and miss. More often than not, I have to un-tick then re-tick 'enable wireless sync' on my devices, then select 'discover' on the pc winamp instance to force detection. This almost defeats the purpose of wireless syncing. Fail.
All these symptoms can be reproduced on 4 different PC's and 2 laptops (Win XP and Win7 - no Vista), and with the Motorola Xoom, Galaxy Tab 7"/10.1", Galaxy S, Nexus One, HTC Desire and HTC Wildfire ranging from Android 2.1 to 2.3.3, running native, HTC Sence and Cyanogen mod.
I was so excited about the idea of updating a playlist on my pc and then all my devices would silently update themselves wirelessly! What a concept! Except it has not worked once across 5 pc's and 6 android devices.
I have only ever had mixed success syncing one playlist at a time, deleting files winamp cant sync due to poor metadata and filename parsing, and even then success is not guaranteed. (This is not an android issue as these 'offending' files when copied manually, work fine).
If there is someone here who can shed any light on any of these issues, please let me know, otherwise my advice to anyone who reads this, turn and run! It isn't worth the frustration! Mange your tunes manually or use another tool.