Old 3rd April 2012, 01:50   #1
mustburn548

Can't select different songs on burned CDs

I apologize for my first post on these forums a few months prior. I have now read the FAQ like I should have. I should be on track with this post. When I burn a CD, Winamp says everything burned fine. No error messages occur. I put the CD into my CD player, the number of tracks and total length of the CD show up correctly on the CD player, and when I start playing the first track, it sounds fine. The problem comes in when I try to switch tracks. If I switch to any track, the CD stops playing. I found out that all the music is on track 1. All the other tracks listed, if selected, play nothing. Now for the information required:

List of plugins: see attachment
Motherboard make: BIOSTAR Group
Motherboard model: N61PC-M2S
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9650 Quad-Core Processor 2.30 GHz
RAM: 1 DDR2 2GB stick
Sound Chip: Realtek ALC662
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4550 (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1)
Direct X Version: Direct X 11
Winamp Version: Standard v5.623 (x86) - Dec 9 2011
Confirmation of the Winamp installation type: I believe Full, it was the normal download under Winamp Standard

Since this involves burning CDs, here's my CD/DVD drive info as well:

CD/DVD Drive Manufacturer: IJWV
CD/DVD Drive Model: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223C SCSI CdRom Device

All information was obtained with SIW, except the sound chip, which I had to google. If any other information is needed, please let me know.
Old 3rd April 2012, 01:55   #2
mustburn548

Sorry for the double post, but my attachment didn't appear on the first post for some reason, so I'm posting it here.
Attached Files
File Type: txt my_plugin_list.txt (21.6 KB, 54 views)
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:01   #3
JonnyMac

Are you using Winamp or another application to brun the CD's. If another application, are they MP3 CD's?

In Winamp...

Ctrl+P > General Preferences > Titles > add [ - %cdengine%] to the Advanced Title Formatting string

Then play a CD track and report back what it says in the song ticker/scroll or playlist editor (SPTI , MCI, ASPI or Sonic).

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
Old 3rd April 2012, 17:45   #4
mustburn548

I'm using Winamp to burn the CDs. My Advanced Title Formatting string was

[%artist% - ]$if2(%title%,$filepart(%filename%))

and I changed it to

[%artist% - ]$if2(%title%,$filepart(%filename%))[ - %cdengine%]

I put a normal CD (not burned or foreign) into my CD/DVD drive, Winamp read it, identified it properly, and named all the tracks properly. When I went to play some of the songs, all of the songs I played came out with very low volume and very distorted sound. When I tried playing these same songs with VLC, there was no volume problem, but there was a sound distortion problem if VLC wasn't the program to play the CD as soon as it was loaded into the CD/DVD drive. Songs that have been downloaded to my computer from online played with low volume, but no distortion. Now I'm wondering about my actual drive; also, where is the "song ticker/scroll or playlist editor (SPTI , MCI, ASPI or Sonic)". I apologize for my noobness.
Old 3rd April 2012, 21:43   #5
JonnyMac

Where the title is displayed (and "crawls") in the main player window. Look at what is at the end of the title display when playing a CD. It will be SPTI , MCI, ASPI or Sonic. Which describes which CD engine or CD playback method is being used.

However, if issues are happening across different audio it may be a setting with your sound chip. I don't have an Realtek ALC662 chip, however unless I am mistaken Realtek ALC662 has different audio environments or presets and an graphic equalizer as well. So, it just may be case of changing a setting back to normal.
Old 4th April 2012, 03:45   #6
mustburn548

Sonic. How do I change settings in my audio chip?
Old 4th April 2012, 12:32   #7
JonnyMac

That, I don't know. Maybe someone else here (at the forums) with the same sound chip/card can provide some info.

[edit]
Try updating the drivers for your sound chip. Go to the website of your computer manufacturer/provider for updates.
Old 17th April 2012, 01:16   #8
mustburn548

Sorry for being away for awhile. Real life does that to you sometimes you know ? Tried updating the drivers. Sound problem and burning problem remains. Btw, what does Sonic mean? And is there a way I can go into my sound card and make modifications, or would that be highly unrecommended?
Old 17th April 2012, 01:38   #9
mustburn548

Blast it! Double post again! Anyway, just to be thorough, here's the link to where I got the Realtek ALC662 drivers:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_IN/down...DocID=DS003584

The actual Realtek site only offers datasheets and reference designs.
Old 17th April 2012, 15:57   #10
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi mustburn548,

The driver you linked to is an old version "R2.25" released on 10/21/2009. It is probably the same as the version you already have. The latest version is "R2.68" released on 3/30/2012. You needed to go to the download page at the Realtek site.

http://www.realtek.com

Click on the "Downloads" link at the top of the page. Then click on "High Definition Audio Codecs (Software)". Read and accept the warning. Then click on one of the download sites for the Windows version (64bit) you need.

However, from your description of the problem, a new sound chip driver may not solve it. VLC plays the commercial CD with no distortion. How about Windows media player? If you get distortion with WMP also, then your Windows sound system codecs may be damaged (VLC has it's own codecs).

Windows has a way to check and replace it's damaged files, but you need the installation disk. This 'fix' gets more complicated if you have applied any services patches. Since you have not applied any patches, this will be a simple process if you have the disk. Search the WEB for instructions or post back.

Maybe you just need to apply the Windows updates and patches (Microsoft software only, get non-Microsoft software and hardware driver updates from the appropriate vendors) and your hardware's updates and patches (if any). But take things one at a time. I suggest checking for damaged Windows files first, then the new sound chip driver, and finally the updates and patches (any from your hardware vendor first).

As for the low volume, are you sure your hardware, Windows, and applications volume controls are set properly?

As to the CDs burned with WA, others have reported problems (use the forums' search feature). They were usually related to the total pathname (location + filename) being too long.

Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 desktop, Winamp Pro 5.666.3516, cPro MPxi_remix skin, 5.1 speaker system
Old 18th April 2012, 16:14   #11
mustburn548

Windows Media Player worked just fine; also, just made a discovery. Vlc and wmp both played the cd fine. Winamp played with the low volume and distortion I talked about before. After I played the cd in winamp, both vlc and wmp were messed up. It's almost like winamp infects the cd. Obviously that's not actually the case, but winamp does mess the playing of the cd up for other programs.

The low volume is applicable for winamp only. All other programs, games, etc. have proper volume. I turned winamp's volume up to the max, and it's still very quiet. Windows and applications volume controls are functioning normally. That leads back to hardware, aka. my Realtek soundchip. I downloaded the drivers like you instructed (thank you for the help btw), but the audio problem remains.

I used the System File Checker by going to command prompt and typing

sfc /scannow

Result was

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

As for the pathname being too long, I believe I've had that problem before, but isn't that when the path name is over 255 letters? The path name's I've been using are nowhere near even 50 letters, so that's not the issue.

To wrap up this latest post, what is Sonic? I asked once before but received no reply. Does it have to do with the "Sonic Powered" that appears on the menu where you burn CDs?
Old 18th April 2012, 21:20   #12
JonnyMac

Sonic is the CD playback and burning support. In Winamp try unckecking Sonic playback support...

1. Winamp > Ctrl+P (for Preferences)
2. Plug-ins > Input
3. double click Nullsoft CD Plug-in
4. unckeck 'Use Sonic engine when possible'
5. close out of Prefs and Winamp.
6. although not necessary, restart Windows.

Hopefully that should make a difference. Disabling Sonic as described above will not disable CD playback or burning. You're just telling Winamp to use one of the CD playback alternatives.
Old 19th April 2012, 02:30   #13
mustburn548

I unchecked Sonic, tried to burn a CD, and got the error message you see in the attachment. It's kinda funny when you read it. It's looking for what it's detecting. What now?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	problem.png
Views:	57
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	49593  
Old 19th April 2012, 04:54   #14
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi mustburn548,

Sorry, I was hoping one of my suggestions would help. At least those potential issues are now ruled out.

WA has various volume options and controls in various places for various formats. I suggest searching the forums for what other users have reported that helped them.

The error message is curious. It is asking for 81 free minutes and reports the CD has 79. Does 2 minutes really matter to WA?

Anyway, I use a couple of free apps, "Exact Audio Copy" (EAC) for my ripping and "StarBurn" (old 12.10 version, new version has bugs) for burning. Had trouble with WA in the past, so stopped using it for this. Links below if you want to try them. Many people like having one app do everything. I don't mind "one trick ponies", if they do their 'trick' well.

I've also found that the media player in Windows 7 does a good job ripping and burning. Although the ripping formats are limited. But ripping to wav and burning or ripping to wav then converting (when needed) is another option. Nothing wrong with having multiple options when they're all free.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/inde...rces/download/

http://www.starburnsoftware.com/prod...rburn/editions

Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 desktop, Winamp Pro 5.666.3516, cPro MPxi_remix skin, 5.1 speaker system
Old 19th April 2012, 19:16   #15
mustburn548

For ripping, I use Windows Media Player. On windows 7 it rips just fine. Just when I burn, at the end of every track, there's this high pitched static noise before the next track. For burning, I've always used winamp. The problem started when I got my new computer a few winamp versions back. I'm almost positive at this point that it's my sound chip and dvd burner. Everything else's volume is fine, except winamp. My other burning programs work fine, except winamp. Looks like this computer isn't very winamp friendly. Btw aminifu, your link to starburn says 12.10, but the actual download is v.13, and the audio burner doesn't work at all. You were definitely right about there being bugs. Is there another link you can provide me? I'm currently searching google for 12.10, but with little success; also, I don't mind pursuing trying to get winamp to work. If anyone has any answers or suggestions, I would like to try them.
Old 19th April 2012, 20:12   #16
mustburn548

Found Starburn 12.10 at

http://starburn-2.soft32.com/

The .exe you get won't look like Starburn. That website gives you a downloader that downloads the starburn.exe to your computer while showing you some ads. Don't be put off by that. I ignored the ads, got the starburn.exe, ran it, burned a CD, and the CD works perfectly. Since I've found something that works, I'm going to put this thread to rest. Thanks a lot for the recommendation Aminifu, and thanks JonnyMac for trying to help me with Winamp. Maybe with my next computer I'll give Winamp a go again. It was good on my old computer, so I'll probably try it again.
Old 19th April 2012, 21:23   #17
JonnyMac

I apologies for coming in late on this thread. I am not sure of what maybe going on. Anyone else??

Anyways, with Sonic unchecked was there a difference in the way that Winamp played back CDs?
Old 20th April 2012, 05:43   #18
mustburn548

Thanks for trying to help me JonnyMac, but I'm gonna give up on Winamp for this computer. I've tried since the beginning of this month to get it to work. Granted, I was away for awhile with real life, but I'm tired of trying. I should have looked for an alternative a long time ago. Some programs don't work with some hardware, and I'm convinced at this point it's my DVD drive. This will be my last post in this thread. Please officially close it. Thanks again for all your help, and I wish you the best in helping future n00bs like me .
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support