Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 20th August 2011, 12:29   #201
Stilez

Bug report in b14

New install (Win7 x64, latest winamp, beta 14)

Tried to backup to a folder of my own choosing as the 1st thing I did - program refused to backup, reporting that the folder didn't contain a valid backup - which was not very surprising

I experimented a bit. The bug seems to be, if the named backup folder doesn't exist yet, it's fine. If the folder does exist but is empty, it won't proceed further and reports a problem.
Stilez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 13:03   #202
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Nice catch, I can reproduce the issue. It's working fine, if the folder doesn't exists, as soon as the folder is already present and empty, you get an error message. This affects the restoration folder as well.

It will be fixed for next version (probably the fist release candidat, which isn't far anymore).

I will give you a test file, when I've fixed the bug. Thanks for your feedback.

-Chris
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 13:23   #203
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Stilez:

Give this a try:

http://meggamusic.co.uk/shup/1313846...ackup-Tool.exe

-Chris
Old 20th August 2011, 19:19   #204
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Koopa,

this thing has really grown, huh? very nice...

question: is there a way to parse bigger ini files? what i mean is, apparently some things, like smart views, are part of bigger config files, right? so lets say i wanted to only backup and restore smart views, or xfer them from one machine to another, BUT NOT the other settings in the file smart views are in...

1. is there a way to do that?
2. if not, do you have any influence with the devs to get them to separate out the smartviews into its own unique file, so it would then be possible?

the scenario is that different machines and installs can be config'd differently on purpose, but sharing the same audio library, and so sharing the same views of it.

thx!

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 19:49   #205
Stilez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
Looks fixed Thank you.

Also did a folder compare of the backed up data under this download compared to the earlier backup from b14, to be sure the backup is still valid. Seems the actual backed up data is fine (as you would expect).
Stilez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 20:41   #206
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Stilez:

Thanks for you confirmation. Much appreciated.

MrSinatra:

1. Yes, it would be possible to backup/restore/transfer specific setting parts of an ini file. So that you can e.g only backup your smartview settings.

Though, this really would require tons of additional code and testing. Instead of backing up one single file *only*, the tool must read specific parts of an ini file, depending on the user selection, write them to an own backup file and write them back to the original file on restoration/transferation. ini file manipulation is already used in many parts of Backup Tool or Winamp Info Tool. Additionally tons of new settings must be added to the user interface later.

It's also tricky to figure out, what ini setting is for what option. You wouldn't believe how much time I needed to implement the playback/playlist options reading in Winamp Info Tool. Some of the settings really have weird ini entries and even more weird values.
This remembers me, when I decrypted the strange system, Winamp is using to save the currently used encoder plugin in gen_ml.ini.

I really like the idea and I will add such functionality to a later release for sure. But it needs a lot of time, time and even more time.

But currently I'm preparing a v1.0 Final release, I must document all the changes I did during the last 3 betas for Pawel. Then we finally update the documentation file, I publish the updated example language file and then we have a 1.0f.

So all other things must wait for upcoming release, since I'll run out of time soon.

2. Sadly not, I even have not enough influence to bring them to get rid of some localization issues in the player. All members of the Winamp dev team are very busy, so it looks bad.

Also Winamp's settings file don't have to be changed necessarily. What you're requesting would be possible from within BT even with the current, huge ini files, Winamp is currently using.

-Chris

PS: Info Tool has grown too, since you replied in that thread the last time.
Old 21st August 2011, 01:56   #207
MrSinatra
Forum King

yeah, i follow the posts even if i don't always post myself. clearly, these have become important apps when you see everyone, including the devs, saying "check out the winamp backup tool." you should be very happy with your efforts. it really was needed!

no rush on my request. i can see that parsing ini files would be difficult. it would be nice if the devs would work with 3rd party guys like you more, b/c i think it would actually be better for them. i don't know if DrO works for them now or not, but i know he didn't used to, and i was always amazed at what he could do as a 3rd party guy. he's in the credits now tho so maybe they finally started paying him, as they should!

--
Old 31st August 2011, 06:06   #208
dwdallam

Any media library program like Winamp should have a backup option, so hopefully something like this will get added to the core of WA. I mean you could have literally years of settings and libraries.

Is it possible to simply copy a folder in order to save all settings? I'm talking about settings here, and not files such as plugins and skins. I just want to get my full media library back along with all of WA's settings.

If so, where the directory? (user/appdata/etc?)
dwdallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 12:33   #209
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Basically yes, use the forums search, then you can find a few postings, which explain, where the winamp settings are saved.

Nevertheless, you cannot backup all settings, if you just copy one single folder. It depends, if multi user support is enabled on your system or not. A few settings are part of the Winamp program folder or the registry. Setting files are spread in many locations, that's why I made this tool, it backups all files from all directories and restores them to the correct locations (that may sounds more simple, than it is).

Please keep any general talk, which has nothing to do with the tool here in an own thread.
Old 6th September 2011, 18:07   #210
MariahLinda99
Banned

Quote:
Backup code was written, and it is a monster. Much more work, than I had expected. We're fightning with some minior GUI glitches now, also need to cleanup the script a bit and prepare the example language file.

You can expect a public beta release within the next few days.
When it would be done?
MariahLinda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 18:14   #211
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I was already working a few days on the documentation overhaul, this still needs some time. It wasn't helpful, that my PC crashed a few times during the last days.

So you still need some patience, sorry.

Nevertheless, bringing the Backup Tool and the Info Tool to a final stage has highest priority for me, so you shouldn't have to wait for too long I hope. *fingers crossed*

-Chris
Old 10th November 2011, 01:56   #212
qrf

Thankyouthankyouthankyou...And... I just donated!

I can only TRY to tell you how thankful I am for your contribution Koopa. I virtually lost my MIND when I lost my whole ML over a year ago- 200 plus playlists devotionally crafted and created. Like getting kicked in the crotch while getting the wind knocked out of me at the same time. I PRAY: May my small donation of $14 (US) be multiplied thousands of times over! Feel my gratitude! For I now feel safe to begin rebuilding once again what was lost. Thanks to you, I now know that my CONSIDERABLE efforts will never again be vulnerable in that way that cost me (and my community and friends- the people who I play music for) so very dearly. Honestly... Bless you.
qrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2011, 15:36   #213
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Wow thanks for your feedback and your donation of course. I'm always glad, if the thing is useful for some people.

I'm sorry for the long delay, but I was so busy during the last weeks, that I had no time for Winamp forums.

-Chris
Old 4th December 2011, 15:53   #214
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Just a note, once I figured out, that the Info Tool had some 64Bit specific detection issues, I can verify, that Backup/Restoration of the Winamp Pro reg data is borked on 64-Bit systems.

I'm sorry for that, but since I was on 32 Bit systems in the past only, I never could test it.

You can expect a fix on next weekend.

-Chris
Old 20th April 2012, 07:03   #215
ryerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilez View Post
Tried to backup to a folder of my own choosing as the 1st thing I did - program refused to backup, reporting that the folder didn't contain a valid backup - which was not very surprising
I experimented a bit. The bug seems to be, if the named backup folder doesn't exist yet, it's fine. If the folder does exist but is empty, it won't proceed further and reports a problem.
Quote:
It will be fixed for next version (probably the fist release candidat, which isn't far anymore).
I will give you a test file, when I've fixed the bug. Thanks for your feedback.
-Chris
This bug still exists in the version available for downloading. Thanks for providing the replacement .exe file.

Windows 7 SP1, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 09:15   #216
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

The replacement file and the main download link in the first posting are exactly the same versions.

When I spoke about the RC, I wasn't aware, that there will be a Beta14.

That bug was confirmed to be fixed, if you still see the bug, please download the Winamp Info Tool and provide a full HTML report, so that we have a start point to catch your issue.

I also want to note, that this bug only affected Win2000/XP, your signature says, that you're running Windows 7 *shrugs*

-Chris
Old 20th April 2012, 17:10   #217
ryerman

Quote:
The replacement file and the main download link in the first posting are exactly the same versions...
-Chris
My experience is that the replacement file and the .exe file obtained using the main download link are not the same.
I don't know how to decompile an .exe file but WinDiff and ExamDiff show that they are different.

Also, an error (see attachment) occurs when using the Backup tool after installing the main download version.
But if the .exe file is replaced, the error does not occur.

It seems to me that this bug does affect Windows 7 and has not been fixed in the version supplied by the main download link.

Thanks for your time and efforts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BackupToolErrorMessage.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	49600  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Winamp_Info_Report_20.04.2012.zip (20.6 KB, 99 views)

Old 20th April 2012, 23:41   #218
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Your Info Report says, that there is no backup folder.

You're right about the different files, but I have no idea, how this could happened.

Can you download the version from the first posting again and let me know, if this works for you now? I've uploaded a recompiled build, which has a 2012 copyright and a newer build number.

-Chris
Old 21st April 2012, 02:22   #219
ryerman

All fixed now. Thank you.

Don't you hate it when there are these unexplained little annoyances?
It's time to get your shot-gun and go hunting for gremlins.
Maybe they migrated from the main site. I've heard there are intermittent version problems when downloading Winamp.

Old 27th April 2012, 00:55   #220
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

ryerman: I worry more about the fact, that this thing was too long in beta stage.

Winamp Backup Tool v1.0 RC1 released

Quote:
1.0 RC1:

- added proper detection if a user is logged in as as standard user
- added proper detection if UAC is enabled under Win7/Vista
- added backup/restoration of Winamp Info Tool settings
- simplified Winamp Pro backup/restoration code
- prevented tool to run if Windows user has no administrator privileges
* made tool provides an info message, if a user is running it as non administrator
- fixed detection bug of Winamp pro data on x64 systems
- fixed small bug in integrity check
- updated English and German language files to v1.1
- updated Core/Installer to NSIS 2.46.4 (Unicode)
Yes, you read correctly, it really has left beta stage now.

I'll finish the documentation file at next weekend and will provide an updated, final language file during the next day or two.

Cheers!
Chris
Old 27th April 2012, 06:21   #221
Silat

Koopa do you take paypal donations?
Silat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 15:55   #222
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Silat:

Sure, I guess I already got one from you, thanks.

The English example file v1.1 is now available in the first posting.
Hopefully some of you guys will translate the tool.

The only bad thing is, that I lost my changelog, so you should grab the differences with WinMerge. Sorry for that, but if you already made v1.0 of the language file, you shouldn't have much work with it.

I'll provide test build for the translators whenever I see an updated language file.

-Chris
Old 29th April 2012, 20:56   #223
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Winamp Backup Tool v1.0 RC2 released

Quote:
1.0 RC2:

- added backup/restoration of FFSoX input plugin settings
- made progress page shows back/restoration status of Winamp pro reg data
- made log file take care about backup/restoration of Winamp pro reg data
- made license file localizable
- updated English, Polish and German language files to v1.2
- [Installer] improved localization of doku file download
Sadly we had to update the language file again, but there are only a few new strings, so no worries. This was the last language update for sure now.

Cheers!
Chris
Old 1st May 2012, 16:54   #224
Candiba

Chris,

The shortcut to the license file created in the start menu is wrong!

And the installer in pt-br not to download the license file also pt-br?

-candiba
Candiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 17:06   #225
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I'll fix the license stuff in installer, thanks for the info.

Quote:
And the installer in pt-br not to download the license file also pt-br?
What do you mean exactly? The documentation file or the license file?

The documentation file isn't finished yet, so it's not translatable for the moment and it always will download the english file.

-Chris

[Edit] http://meggamusic.co.uk/shup/1335892...pToolSetup.exe

Will fix all issues related to license file.
Old 4th May 2012, 14:41   #226
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Winamp Backup Tool v1.0 RC3 released

Quote:
1.0 RC3:

- added Backup/Restoration of German Language Pack installer config file (--> Winamp Core Settings)
- added Backup/Restoration of Winamp Backup Tool settings :P (--> Winamp Core Settings)
- made that tool saves default restore path to Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini file as well
--> should be more safe and consistent with the behavior of custom pathes
- updated PortogueseBR language file to v1.2 (thanks candiba)
- [Installer] made installer cleans up license files in installation dir
--> this prevents the tool to install several different license files, if you ran the installer in multiple languages
- [Installer] fixed wrong license file start menu entry for localized builds
- [Installer] fixed wrong license file installation for localized builds
The build in updater should work now too.

-Chris
Old 5th May 2012, 16:13   #227
Candiba

Quote:
What do you mean exactly? The documentation file or the license file?

The documentation file isn't finished yet, so it's not translatable for the moment and it always will download the english file.
Yes, the license file was downloaded in English, even though I installed the Winamp Backup Tool in Portuguese. But the rc3 is all right now!

Sorry that it took to answer you!

-candiba
Candiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 17:11   #228
temporalis12

can't restore

Hello,

The tool isn't working for me and I'm worried that I lost my backup permanently.

I archived my Winamp data with your tool, which created a folder. I had to reformat Windows 7 so I moved that folder to my external hard drive. Now that Win7 is reinstalled, I copied the folder back over and installed the latest version of Winamp. When I try to restore, it says that "the directory does not have a valid file for restoration."

Please see the screen capture below. It also shows the contents of the backup folder. My music is all on the D:, but that shouldn't change anything.

Thanks for all of the hard work you put into this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winamp Backup Tool - Screen Cap.png
Views:	153
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	49779  
temporalis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 17:18   #229
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

It seems that you lost the integrity file. You should set up the Windows Explorer, so that all files including hidden files will be shown, then you should see the file.

Though, can you unzip the file from the attachment in your backup folder and try it again please?

-Chris
Attached Files
File Type: zip Winamp_Backup_Integrity.zip (316 Bytes, 118 views)
Old 7th July 2012, 19:09   #230
temporalis12

Chris,

I downloaded the file, added it to the folder, and it worked perfectly! Everything is back up and running! This is amazing!

My Win Explorer was already set to view hidden files, so I didn't have it. It probably didn't copy over when drag and dropped the folder. Perhaps that is a flaw of Explorer, that it doesn't copy hidden files/folders? I don't know. But if it helps anyone in the future, maybe that file should not be hidden.

Thanks again for your hard work. Winamp developers should include this tool natively.
temporalis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 08:15   #231
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Winamp Backup Tool v1.0 final released

I'm glad to inform you, that v1.0f is final public available. After a few years of development and testing, it finally left beta stage.

You can grab your copy directly from Winamp.com.

Minor things, updated or new translations will come in 1.0x minor update releases.

Thanks for all people who helped during the years with testing, suggestion and critical feedback. And big thanks to Pawel, the co-author of the tool and DrO. <3.

Quote:
1.0:
- made 'Help' button opens a weblink instead of the documentation file*
- updated Russian language file to v1.2 (thanks VIPer)
- updated Japanese language file to v1.2 (thanks T-Matsuo)
- updated Romanian language file to v1.2 (thanks Cătălin Zamfirescu)
- fixed format of version number in Winamp Backup Integrity file
- [Installer] made that desktop, start menu and quicklaunch icons are created for the current user only
- [Installer] disabled Downloader and shortcut options for the documentation file*
- [Installer] made installer cleans up documentation stuff (for all those who used the beta versions)
- [Installer] fixed that desktop icon wans't deleted for the current user
- [Core/Installer] updated to NSIS v2.46.5 (Unicode)
- [Core/Installer] several other minor updates, tweaks and improvements
Cheers,
Chris
Old 24th August 2012, 18:07   #232
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Changelog is now available.

The internal BT update check and the update check in Winamp Info Tool should work now as well.
Old 24th August 2012, 18:08   #233
Sabine Klare
Major Dude

A final release on our wedding-day... ♥♥♥♥♥
Just downloaded and installed, I will test it later (I don't want to leave the current radio-live-event now). But for Your very good work I have my 5 stars for You:
★★★★★
Keep up Your good work!... ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪
Greetings from Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 22:18   #234
MrSinatra
Forum King

hi Koopa,

this thing has certainly grown by leaps and bounds.

is there going to be a winamp plugin that will invoke the backup tool every X number of days or similar? basically, a reminder to get the user to run it?

--
Old 23rd September 2012, 22:33   #235
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Tbh, it doesn't look good with a Winamp plugin for the BT. Unless you can find a Winamp plugin dev who is interested in doing it, it really looks sad.
DrO is completely busy with work and you can count the active 3rd party plugin devs on one hand.

So the whole plugin thing was nothing more than a concept resource file, sorry.

As for my part, it doesn't look good for the main BT development in near future as well. I spent a lot of time to make a final version possible, but even for that I've ripped out the documentation file because of the lack of time.

-Chris
Old 7th December 2012, 14:39   #236
ondrej

Koopa,

back up is a great idea that I was searching for, so I was excited to find out about yours. I have a private cmp and a one in office and I sync all mp3 files in both, but I have different history and counts in both. So when I got a new comp in my office, I run a back up at my home computer, hoping I would be able to restore all playlists and ranking and history to my new office computer. I duly transferred all back up folders to my new office comp, run the restoration... and nothing happened... I has the same Winamp as before, with all 9000+ songs, but with no history in it. What did I do wrong? Is your utility able to transfer settings from a comp to another one? If yes, could you post some guide for dummies? many thanks!
ondrej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 07:03   #237
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Usually, the tool should transfer your history as well. The only real possible issue with history or local media in general is, if you are using different locations for your music on both maschines. So ideally, you should use the same paths for your media files on both maschines. If you are using different paths, like C:\My Music on maschine A where you've created the backup and D:\Music on the maschine where you're transfering your settings too, you must manually edit the paths in Winamp's preferences.

Can you do another transfer and send me the Winamp_Backup_Tool.log file?
Old 5th January 2013, 16:25   #238
ondrej

TRansfer to another computer

Hi,

thanks for a quick reply. My problem is that I want to replicate Winamp from my home computer (where music files are on D drive) to my office computer (where music files are on C:/user.... and i can't change it). I run Backup on my home comp, transferred it to my office comp, run in and it installed everything correctly. However, when I changed the watched folders path, the history was gone and all songs counter was reset to zero as no songs has been ever played. I am attaching the log file and remain hopeful!

Ondrej
Old 5th January 2013, 16:32   #239
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

the tool won't do that due to how it's done means it's not able to also change the filepaths of the media from one install to another within the local library files. alas you need to have the files seen in the same folder structure between the 2 different machines.

-daz

If you have issues with Winamp or still want to get it, ensure
you get v5.666 build 3516 and the required plug-in updates
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 17:01   #240
ondrej

Koopa seem to have had a discussion last year about this issue and offered a solution (which i tried and failed), si I don't give up yet. To keep the same physical path is quite a strict requirement :-(
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
backup, database, library, lost, restoration, restore, settings