Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 28th April 2012, 15:55   #201
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Silat:

Sure, I guess I already got one from you, thanks.

The English example file v1.1 is now available in the first posting.
Hopefully some of you guys will translate the tool.

The only bad thing is, that I lost my changelog, so you should grab the differences with WinMerge. Sorry for that, but if you already made v1.0 of the language file, you shouldn't have much work with it.

I'll provide test build for the translators whenever I see an updated language file.

-Chris
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 20:56   #202
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Winamp Backup Tool v1.0 RC2 released

Quote:
1.0 RC2:

- added backup/restoration of FFSoX input plugin settings
- made progress page shows back/restoration status of Winamp pro reg data
- made log file take care about backup/restoration of Winamp pro reg data
- made license file localizable
- updated English, Polish and German language files to v1.2
- [Installer] improved localization of doku file download
Sadly we had to update the language file again, but there are only a few new strings, so no worries. This was the last language update for sure now.

Cheers!
Chris
Old 1st May 2012, 16:54   #203
Candiba

Chris,

The shortcut to the license file created in the start menu is wrong!

And the installer in pt-br not to download the license file also pt-br?

-candiba
Candiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 17:06   #204
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I'll fix the license stuff in installer, thanks for the info.

Quote:
And the installer in pt-br not to download the license file also pt-br?
What do you mean exactly? The documentation file or the license file?

The documentation file isn't finished yet, so it's not translatable for the moment and it always will download the english file.

-Chris

[Edit] LINK REMOVED

Will fix all issues related to license file.
Old 4th May 2012, 14:41   #205
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Winamp Backup Tool v1.0 RC3 released

Quote:
1.0 RC3:

- added Backup/Restoration of German Language Pack installer config file (--> Winamp Core Settings)
- added Backup/Restoration of Winamp Backup Tool settings :P (--> Winamp Core Settings)
- made that tool saves default restore path to Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini file as well
--> should be more safe and consistent with the behavior of custom pathes
- updated PortogueseBR language file to v1.2 (thanks candiba)
- [Installer] made installer cleans up license files in installation dir
--> this prevents the tool to install several different license files, if you ran the installer in multiple languages
- [Installer] fixed wrong license file start menu entry for localized builds
- [Installer] fixed wrong license file installation for localized builds
The build in updater should work now too.

-Chris
Old 5th May 2012, 16:13   #206
Candiba

Quote:
What do you mean exactly? The documentation file or the license file?

The documentation file isn't finished yet, so it's not translatable for the moment and it always will download the english file.
Yes, the license file was downloaded in English, even though I installed the Winamp Backup Tool in Portuguese. But the rc3 is all right now!

Sorry that it took to answer you!

-candiba
Candiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 17:11   #207
temporalis12

can't restore

Hello,

The tool isn't working for me and I'm worried that I lost my backup permanently.

I archived my Winamp data with your tool, which created a folder. I had to reformat Windows 7 so I moved that folder to my external hard drive. Now that Win7 is reinstalled, I copied the folder back over and installed the latest version of Winamp. When I try to restore, it says that "the directory does not have a valid file for restoration."

Please see the screen capture below. It also shows the contents of the backup folder. My music is all on the D:, but that shouldn't change anything.

Thanks for all of the hard work you put into this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winamp Backup Tool - Screen Cap.png
Views:	272
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	49779  
temporalis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 17:18   #208
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

It seems that you lost the integrity file. You should set up the Windows Explorer, so that all files including hidden files will be shown, then you should see the file.

Though, can you unzip the file from the attachment in your backup folder and try it again please?

-Chris
Attached Files
File Type: zip Winamp_Backup_Integrity.zip (316 Bytes, 229 views)
Old 7th July 2012, 19:09   #209
temporalis12

Chris,

I downloaded the file, added it to the folder, and it worked perfectly! Everything is back up and running! This is amazing!

My Win Explorer was already set to view hidden files, so I didn't have it. It probably didn't copy over when drag and dropped the folder. Perhaps that is a flaw of Explorer, that it doesn't copy hidden files/folders? I don't know. But if it helps anyone in the future, maybe that file should not be hidden.

Thanks again for your hard work. Winamp developers should include this tool natively.
temporalis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 08:15   #210
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Winamp Backup Tool v1.0 final released

I'm glad to inform you, that v1.0f is final public available. After a few years of development and testing, it finally left beta stage.

You can grab your copy directly from Winamp.com.

Minor things, updated or new translations will come in 1.0x minor update releases.

Thanks for all people who helped during the years with testing, suggestion and critical feedback. And big thanks to Pawel, the co-author of the tool and DrO. <3.

Quote:
1.0:
- made 'Help' button opens a weblink instead of the documentation file*
- updated Russian language file to v1.2 (thanks VIPer)
- updated Japanese language file to v1.2 (thanks T-Matsuo)
- updated Romanian language file to v1.2 (thanks Cătălin Zamfirescu)
- fixed format of version number in Winamp Backup Integrity file
- [Installer] made that desktop, start menu and quicklaunch icons are created for the current user only
- [Installer] disabled Downloader and shortcut options for the documentation file*
- [Installer] made installer cleans up documentation stuff (for all those who used the beta versions)
- [Installer] fixed that desktop icon wans't deleted for the current user
- [Core/Installer] updated to NSIS v2.46.5 (Unicode)
- [Core/Installer] several other minor updates, tweaks and improvements
Cheers,
Chris
Old 24th August 2012, 18:07   #211
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Changelog is now available.

The internal BT update check and the update check in Winamp Info Tool should work now as well.
Old 24th August 2012, 18:08   #212
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

A final release on our wedding-day... ♥♥♥♥♥
Just downloaded and installed, I will test it later (I don't want to leave the current radio-live-event now). But for Your very good work I have my 5 stars for You:
★★★★★
Keep up Your good work!... ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪
Greetings from Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 22:18   #213
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
hi Koopa,

this thing has certainly grown by leaps and bounds.

is there going to be a winamp plugin that will invoke the backup tool every X number of days or similar? basically, a reminder to get the user to run it?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012, 22:33   #214
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Tbh, it doesn't look good with a Winamp plugin for the BT. Unless you can find a Winamp plugin dev who is interested in doing it, it really looks sad.
DrO is completely busy with work and you can count the active 3rd party plugin devs on one hand.

So the whole plugin thing was nothing more than a concept resource file, sorry.

As for my part, it doesn't look good for the main BT development in near future as well. I spent a lot of time to make a final version possible, but even for that I've ripped out the documentation file because of the lack of time.

-Chris
Old 7th December 2012, 14:39   #215
ondrej

Koopa,

back up is a great idea that I was searching for, so I was excited to find out about yours. I have a private cmp and a one in office and I sync all mp3 files in both, but I have different history and counts in both. So when I got a new comp in my office, I run a back up at my home computer, hoping I would be able to restore all playlists and ranking and history to my new office computer. I duly transferred all back up folders to my new office comp, run the restoration... and nothing happened... I has the same Winamp as before, with all 9000+ songs, but with no history in it. What did I do wrong? Is your utility able to transfer settings from a comp to another one? If yes, could you post some guide for dummies? many thanks!
ondrej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 07:03   #216
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Usually, the tool should transfer your history as well. The only real possible issue with history or local media in general is, if you are using different locations for your music on both maschines. So ideally, you should use the same paths for your media files on both maschines. If you are using different paths, like C:\My Music on maschine A where you've created the backup and D:\Music on the maschine where you're transfering your settings too, you must manually edit the paths in Winamp's preferences.

Can you do another transfer and send me the Winamp_Backup_Tool.log file?
Old 5th January 2013, 16:25   #217
ondrej

TRansfer to another computer

Hi,

thanks for a quick reply. My problem is that I want to replicate Winamp from my home computer (where music files are on D drive) to my office computer (where music files are on C:/user.... and i can't change it). I run Backup on my home comp, transferred it to my office comp, run in and it installed everything correctly. However, when I changed the watched folders path, the history was gone and all songs counter was reset to zero as no songs has been ever played. I am attaching the log file and remain hopeful!

Ondrej
Old 5th January 2013, 16:32   #218
DrO

the tool won't do that due to how it's done means it's not able to also change the filepaths of the media from one install to another within the local library files. alas you need to have the files seen in the same folder structure between the 2 different machines.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 17:01   #219
ondrej

Koopa seem to have had a discussion last year about this issue and offered a solution (which i tried and failed), si I don't give up yet. To keep the same physical path is quite a strict requirement :-(
Old 5th January 2013, 17:10   #220
DrO

and koopa's suggestion was for specific settings and would never have worked for the actual details in the library database files. it's not down to the tool imposing that need to have the same folder paths, it's how Winamp's library works by being based on filepaths and if they change then what is in the library will no longer be valid.

you could try exporting the main library to xml file (on the library button menu), edit the folder paths and then re-import it (though that won't work for the files in the history).

only other option is creating / finding an nde database editor and go through all of the records and change the paths using that to the new ones (which would potentially allow for the editing of the files stored in the history db).

so it really comes down to how much you need to preserve your played history, etc as to what to do.

-daz
Old 15th January 2013, 07:26   #221
koijmon

I've been having some trouble with Winamp Backup Tool finding a valid backup source folder. I reinstalled the latest Winamp on Windows 8, and tried to restore with the backup tool but it keeps saying that the backup folder path is invalid, that there are no valid files for restoration.
I have pointed it at two folders that were backups from Winamp Backup Tool itself and a full backup of the Winamp install folder, and still get nothing.
Is there something I'm missing? Some specific required file in the backup source that might be somehow missing or something?
I can give a link to the Winamp Backup Tool backup folder if that will help.

I did eventually copy over files manually, but I was a little worried at first.
koijmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 11:32   #222
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Sorry I haven't seen your posting.

I bet you've lost your integrity file, download the file from here:

http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=229

and put it into your backup directory.

I don't know how the file could be lost, tbh. Usually this only happens, when you manually move the backup dir and when Windows is set to hide system/hidden files. *shrugs*

-Chris
Old 11th March 2013, 12:53   #223
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Sorry if this question has been asked and answered before.
The only thing that I would like to do is to backup my Podcast subscriptions but nothing else. (That way I dont have to find and add them all manually)
Will this tool do that?
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 16:22   #224
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Subscriptions and settings for Podcasts will be backed up and can be restored.

But we (DrO, Egg, Pawel and me) decided ages ago that the tool should not backup media files. So your main downloaded media files won't be backed up/restored.
Old 11th March 2013, 16:36   #225
DrO

as a note, 5.7 beta will generate a backup copy of the feeds.xml and rss.xml files (with .backup on the end of the file) whenever ml_wire makes changes to the files. there are also a number of other changes which should prevent it from excessive re-writing of those files (which is part of the reason i believe that they could be lost).
Old 11th March 2013, 16:44   #226
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus

Thanks for the responses guys. 5.7 keeps looking better and better.
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 20:20   #227
MrSinatra
Forum King

thx for updating this for 5.7! the backup tool is a very nice utility.

--
Old 31st March 2013, 17:48   #228
Quentin2791

Thank you . . . and can you help?

Having lost Winamp profiles due to crashes and personal stupidity, I applaud your work. It ain't easy and doing a quick thread read I see there may be some ungrateful users...just look for the legit comments and ignore the B.S. If most of the Bozos are like me, the last "programing" I did was a snappy .bat file on a 286 using DOS. End of commentary.

Now for my question. I'm running Vista (not too bad) and have two user accounts set up for security purposes: Admin for maint. and Power User for everything else. Therefore Winamp's profile preferences, tweeks, bookmarks, customization, etc. are all under my Power User account. Winamp for Admin. is bare bones. Unfortunately, even when I am logged on as Power User, I have to give Admin. O.K. and that flips Backup Tool into Admin acct. mode and the only thing it backs up is the Admin profile, which is completely out of the box untweeked.

I have tried changing security settings on the .exe AND shortcuts, but so far nothing has worked. Which means, if I do need to recover, it will be the same as just re-installing. Based on your knowledge, do you know of a work around for my problem? Thanks.
Quentin2791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 00:00   #229
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I had massive issues with the Windows Vista+ UAC stuff in the past. The problem is, that a lot of 3rd party stuff or the Winamp Pro infos etc are stored in locations, where the standard user has no permission to access them (Registry, Winamp's program dir etc).

I can basically read all of these infos and backup all required files for standard users, but restoration will fail, because of missing write permissions.

The tool will detect on start, if you are an Administrator and will abort with an info message, if you are not.

Until i find a real solution, how to elevate user rights within the tool (it would require a lot of changes) there is not much I can do in near future.

One possibility would be allowing to select between multiple profiles for backup/restoration, when you are logged in as Administrator. But that must be implemented and tested.

I'm aware, that it's a disadvantage, that you have to be an Administrator, but I cannot say, if or when I find the time to resolve it, sorry.

-Chris
Old 8th April 2013, 20:11   #230
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I noticed, that it's time for a minor update in near future.

Adding the cloud settings, Info Reports and update it for the new SHOUTcast Source DSP Plugin settings etc.

And check in general, if we still backup/restore valid files only, hehe

As soon as they finalize the Cloud thing, I'll update the tool.

-Chris
Old 11th May 2013, 14:27   #231
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I have a newer build on my system, which updates the tool for Winamp 5.7 compatiblity.

A lot of the settings files have changed the locations.

If someone is interested, I can send you a test build.
Old 19th June 2013, 23:00   #232
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine Klare View Post
I have always copied the folder Winamp from Username > AppData > Roaming to my USB-Sticks again and again, in case a "PC Crash" could happen or the harddrive could break some day...
Which even more shows, how useful it is.

I already have a full working version for 5.64/5.7, but nobody wants to test it.

But we are off topic now.
Old 19th June 2013, 23:10   #233
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Okay, I will try the newer build of the Winamp Backup Tool in a few hours, if I have got it (I am currently in some sound-checks). At first with Winamp 5.7...
Sorry, that I am such a fearful hare ("so ein Angsthase"). Maybe it's time to just do it, to try it out, because someone has to be the first tester, and I'll be the one now...
I should begin, and I will do that...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 05:01   #234
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
I wrote in another thread already (too lazy to search for it), that i got 0 feedback related to this: Link

Without testers I'm lost and it shows the general interest in the tool
Ahem, I tested it and even sent you some feedback via PM. But I know a sample size of 1 is not very useful.

The problem I see going forward is how or whether to support those using the older Winamp versions that don't store the ML related files in the new sub-folders.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 07:18   #235
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I wrote this only to explain, why there is no public version for 5.64. MrS asked if we could add Backup Tool as Extra in the first posting of this sticky thread.

That you have tested it and sent feedback via Pm is much appreciated.

Quote:
The problem I see going forward is how or whether to support those using the older Winamp versions that don't store the ML related files in the new sub-folders.
It's a 1-man project and maintain much more code for different users is simply too much work. So I have no choice, I use the same method like in the forums, only latest version is supported. 5.64 made some siginficant changes to the locations of the setting files.

And really it makes no senseto use e.g. 5.63, when there is a bug fixed 5.64 available.
Old 21st June 2013, 08:08   #236
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
It's a 1-man project and maintain much more code for different users is simply too much work. So I have no choice, I use the same method like in the forums, only latest version is supported. 5.64 made some siginficant changes to the locations of the setting files.

And really it makes no senseto use e.g. 5.63, when there is a bug fixed 5.64 available.
5.63, there are people still using version 2!

But what you said makes sense to me. The 5.64 version will be released when it is ready (or when you are ready, since what I tested seemed close enough). Those who want to use it will have to use the Winamp version it supports, which they should be using anyway.

I think the lack of interest is because the new generation of Winamp users, and some of the old, have been spoiled. They want things done for them. They want the backup and restore that this tool provides to be part of Winamp and done automatically and all for free. Backup whenever changes are detected and restore whenever corruption is detected.

I, for one, appreciate your efforts with this tool and prefer to manually backup what and when I want and do likewise with restore. I like using my brain and head for more than a hat rack.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 08:14   #237
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I just ignore these 2.9x people, most people who write such things here are only trolling. Winamp 5.x got siginficant improvements (Unicode, Unfied editor, vastly improved library) and a lot of security fixes. I cannot hear these '2.9x is much faster than 5.x' people.

I'm going to move these BT specific postings to the BT thread in a bit, just that you don't wonder.

I'm waiting for feedback from lostinsound, then we're close to a public release. again thanks for your help.
Old 22nd June 2013, 22:14   #238
MrSinatra
Forum King

hi Koopa,

just to explain my own part as a former tester, once ratings could be saved to file, I really had no glaring need for the backup tool. it would be good for me for bookmarks and replicating smartviews from one install to another, but since one machine will have different paths, users, etc and so on from another, I just end up not risking it and slog thru the manual setup.

I think the other big "missing" piece, is that there is no plugin in winamp to remind or automate the process. I however am starting to think winamp agent should be in charge of such things... agent could be used to schedule the backups, scans, remote control winamp, start and exit it, test open ports, etc... but anyway, I think b/c its totally standalone, people just forget about it.

its a great piece of work, i'm not trying to slag it in anyway. but I just think it needs those things.

--
Old 23rd June 2013, 12:51   #239
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

The main idea behind it wasn't saving the ratings, I still don't know, why I should rate my own music with stars from 1-5, if I would have music which only would get 1 star, I would simply delete it.

Originally I made the tool for people who lost their whole library. The transfer mode was never planned, people started using the tool to transfer their settings. The only thing I did, was to make it a bit more easy for them.
Old 23rd June 2013, 13:42   #240
lostinsound

I find the tool extremely useful when I want to test something on a clean install. Since I have all of my Smart Views and their panes and columns (as well as many other settings) set exactly how I want them and getting them back to that after every clean install is a bit tedious and annoying.
lostinsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
backup, database, library, lost, restoration, restore, settings