Old 4th May 2012, 08:20   #1
sciencequeen

Sort playlist by rating

Hello,

There is a feature that allows me to "rate" a track.

Except that it doesn't seem to save my ratings most of the time, and if it does, it would be nice to be able to sort my playlist based on the stars I give the track.

Curious as to why this feature exists if you can't sort by rating. If I hit "shuffle", does it play the higher rated tracks more frequently?

Thanks!
sciencequeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 09:17   #2
DrO
Winamp Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencequeen View Post
Except that it doesn't seem to save my ratings most of the time
it depends on the audio file and whether you have the media library installed and if the action was able to update it. you can also in current Winamp releases save the ratings directly into the files if Preferences -> Media Library -> Library Options -> 'Save ratings to file for compatible formats (default: off)' and check that option. then you'd need to use a smartview to filter all library results by their star rating and re-rate them (i.e. select all and re-select the rating via the right-click menu).

additionally depending on the skin you are using will determine if changing the rating will or won't update in certain 'live' information areas.

Quote:
it would be nice to be able to sort my playlist based on the stars I give the track.
not possible natively and i'm not aware of any 3rd party plug-ins which would do it either.

Quote:
If I hit "shuffle", does it play the higher rated tracks more frequently?
nope as that's just not how Winamp's shuffle feature has ever worked going back all of the years it has been around.

-daz

If you have issues with Winamp or still want to get it, ensure
you get v5.666 build 3516 and the required plug-in updates
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 22:38   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
... it would be nice to be able to sort my playlist based on the stars I give the track. ...
If you have rated your files in the media library, then you can use a customized ATF title string to put the file's rating at the beginning of the song title used in the playlist editor. Then you can use the editor's 'misc - sort - by title' option to sort the playlist.

The string could look like this: %rating% - %artist% - %title%.

I use a similar ATF string to allow sorting by BPM. I can not test this suggestion because I don't use ratings, but it should work. I only store songs in my collection that I either like or really like (4 or 5 stars), so have no need for an explicit rating.

Yes, the customized title would look strange until you get used to it. With the skin I use, the customized title only showed up in the playlist editor and on the taskbar. DrO has made an excellent plug-in for overriding the default and let you customize what is shown on the taskbar. I use it to display artist, title, and genre on the taskbar. Link below.

http://nunzioweb.com/daz/ttm.html

Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 desktop, Winamp Pro 5.666.3516, cPro MPxi_remix skin, 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 05:36   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
thats an excellent suggestion.

i love to rate my files, and then i use smartviews. i can create a smartview on certain criteria, like filepath and genre, and also tell it only 3 star and above, and then just play songs fitting that criteria.

you can also sort by ratings in the ML, highlight, and enqueue to the playlist from that.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist

Tags
rating