Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Closed Thread
Old 10th March 2012, 18:36   #121
stopasking
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i am not seeing this behavior... please show step by step how to reproduce... are you setting the rating in the playlist or something?
Reinstall seems to have fixed the behavior.
Old 17th March 2012, 21:13   #122
ricardorb6

Special characters when syncing to MTP and UBS Devices

Hello, a long time ago I found this bug but I didn't know how to report this until now:

1. With a MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) Device:
When syncing to any device suporting this protocol, special characters \ / : * ? " < > . | don't appear on the device in the song information, instead appears _ for example: with the song *NSYNC - Bye, Bye, Bye I notice this using a sony walkman and a nokia cellphone using MTP:

The song info appears on the screen informacion like:

Artist:_NSYNC
Song: Bye, Bye, Bye
Album: No Strings Attached
Year: 2000

I had the chance to test this with other devices using MTP and the results were the same.

2. If I use a USB drive like a hard drive or pen drive, when using the filename format string <Albumartist> for example: F:\<Albumartist>\<Album>\## - <Title> and start to sync or transfer any song with the special characters, shows "error transfer" in the transfers window.

3. I use a NTFS external hard disk and winamp doesn't recognize the drive if a connect it before opening winamp, so I have to open winamp first and then conect the drive for winamp to detect it properly.
Old 22nd April 2012, 17:53   #123
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
Here's another bug I found, which is probably related to the bug I reported in this post some weeks ago.

It seems that on RAW AAC ADTS files, the in_mp3.dll is mixing up MPEG-2 AAC and MPEG-4 AAC header structure in the Info display section.

It's no problem of playback, it's only a problem of the display. Following examples:
MPEG-4 AAC, raw ADTS file.
"MediaInfo" (third-party tool) displays it as MPEG-4 AAC.
code:
General
Complete name : D:\DOWN\out4.aac
Format : ADTS
Format/Info : Audio Data Transport Stream
File size : 2.47 MiB
Duration : 4mn 25s
Overall bit rate : 78.1 Kbps
Audio
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version : Version 4
Format profile : LC
Format settings, SBR : Yes
Format settings, PS : No
Muxing mode : ADTS

"But Winamp displays it as MPEG-2 AAC":

In the opposite, the same file patched to MPEG-2 AAC is displayed as "Version 2" in MediaInfo, but displayed as "MPEG-4 AAC" in Winamp:

code:
General
Complete name : D:\DOWN\out.aac
Format : ADTS
Format/Info : Audio Data Transport Stream
File size : 2.47 MiB
Duration : 4mn 25s
Overall bit rate : 78.1 Kbps
Audio
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : LC
Format settings, SBR : Yes
Format settings, PS : No
Muxing mode : ADTS

See second screenshot:

It's, again, a small and "cosmetic" bug, but it would be great if you could fix it!

Best regards,
kzuse
Old 24th April 2012, 10:08   #124
reknor320

AVS doesn't work properly

Clean Install of latest winamp
No language pack (Us English)
Skin: All
Windows: Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name IAN-I7
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0401, 7/15/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name Ian-i7\Ian
Time Zone New Zealand Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.98 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.41 GB
Total Virtual Memory 21.4 GB
Available Virtual Memory 15.5 GB
Page File Space 13.4 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Video: Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Adapter RAM 1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
Driver Version 8.17.12.9573

Sound:Name Realtek High Definition Audio
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\rtkvhd64.sys (6.0.1.6251, 2.45 MB (2,565,736 bytes), 4/15/2012 12:15 PM)

DirectX: Directx 11
Plugin: avs

avs plugin doesn't work properly, not clocking with audio, so all visulisations are stationary, or appear blank, also clicking option for multi threading causes winamp to crash, winamp crashed when I switched to classic before once dorment and I went to switch to this page, and some avs presets also cause winamp to crash as soon as they are selected. I first noticed after loading Winamp and some presets onto my new computer, and uninstalled Winamp, deleted folder and installed fresh, and still noticed avs plugin not working. Milkdrop v2.24 seems to work fine though.
Old 24th April 2012, 11:14   #125
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

AVS pretty much won't run correctly on Vista / Windows 7. attempts were made with the 2.82 and 2.83 builds but despite fixing some of the crashing, they then broke a load of presets so we then reverted AVS back to 2.81d to keep the preset author's happy but that back-fired.

so you need to either try using one of the 2.82 or 2.83 builds to see if that helps you, otherwise there is really little that is going to be done to fix AVS now (and is why i think it needs to be split from the distribution and provided as it's own download for those that really want it).

not what you want to hear but that's how it is.

-daz

If you have issues with Winamp or still want to get it, ensure
you get v5.666 build 3516 and the required plug-in updates
Old 6th May 2012, 16:59   #126
kzuse

(Bump...)

Anything new on this?
Old 6th May 2012, 20:13   #127
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

i think someone mentioned it was down to the AAC library getting things the wrong way around and that it's best done as a fix in that but i'm not 100% sure. all i know is that Winamp is checking the correct position of the frame header but i'm not sure what the correct value is meant to be - someone who knows more about that would need to comment / clarify. and i'm not aware of any library updates with the internal builds (as i'm sure that will be the next question).

-daz

If you have issues with Winamp or still want to get it, ensure
you get v5.666 build 3516 and the required plug-in updates
Old 10th May 2012, 10:49   #128
kzuse

Thanks for the answer - let's hope someone "in the know" will look into it.

And I've got the next one - although it's rather a wish than a bug, it could also be considered as a bug in in_vorbis.dll. I posted it in the Wishlist - see here: >click<

Thanks and best regards,
kzuse
Old 16th May 2012, 01:22   #129
Mudzin

Can I get any knowledge upon progress of http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=100 ?
It's still not fixed in 5.623.
Old 21st May 2012, 21:33   #130
kzuse

And again, a new bug:

Winamp 5.623, Windows XP SP3 32bit.

WMA files occasionally stutter / click / pop.

Sounds like single samples being skipped, or the PCM sound output "skidding at the edge of a buffer underrun", don't know how to explain, but I think you know what I mean...

Only happens on certain WMA files, but most ones. It took very long to me to notice since 5.623 is out, because I only have 5 WMA files or so, but recently I wanted to listen to one of them.

When disabling the WMA plugin and listening to the files through the DirectShow filter (using Windows' decoders), everything is fine.
Old 22nd May 2012, 13:22   #131
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzuse View Post
When disabling the WMA plugin and listening to the files through the DirectShow filter (using Windows' decoders), everything is fine.
Exactly which WMA plugin are you referring to.

Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 desktop, Winamp Pro 5.666.3516, cPro MPxi_remix skin, 5.1 speaker system
Old 22nd May 2012, 13:34   #132
kzuse

Uhmmm... I guess it's "Nullsoft Windows Media Decoder v3.6" (in_wm.dll)?

It's the one that decodes WMA and WMV files in Winamps standard settings (clean install), no 3rd-party decoder plugins installed, neither old versions of any former input plugins in the Plugins folder.

Does that help?

I could provide a sample WMA file which stutters some seconds from the beginning on, for the following 30 seconds or so, but it could take until this evening (UTC+0200) as I have to get it from my PC at home. Please let me know if that could be useful...
Old 22nd May 2012, 17:34   #133
kzuse

As mentioned above, here's the sample file:

http://abi05.square7.ch/pub/history.wma

(link will be active only 14 days)

Stuttering / clicking / popping can be heard at the beginning for about 30 seconds. The rest plays fine, except for short periods in the song, where some clicks are heard.

Windows Media Player plays it without any distortions.
Old 22nd May 2012, 20:56   #134
ryerman

Quote:
Stuttering / clicking / popping can be heard at the beginning for about 30 seconds. The rest plays fine, except for short periods in the song, where some clicks are heard.
I hear nothing extraordinary using "Nullsoft Windows Media Decoder v3.6", certainly no stuttering.
The bitrate is shown as 65 kbps. Maybe the quality of the encoding is the problem.
My guess is that on high-end hardware, low-quality audio files are more obvious.

Windows 7 SP1, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
Old 23rd May 2012, 03:14   #135
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Uhmmm... I guess it's "Nullsoft Windows Media Decoder v3.6" (in_wm.dll)?
The song you provided plays without stuttering, clicking, and/or popping on my system also.

I don't understand why you are guessing about the file you said you disabled. What did you do? Without 'in_wm.dll' you should not be able to hear the song at all (unless you use another decoder). What DirectShow filter are you using and how is it applied?

Where you using an output plug-in other than the directsound plug-in when you had the problem? If you were using the waveout plug-in, try increasing it's pre-buffer. Although, the song plays fine on my system with the default buffer sizes.

Anyway, whatever is causing your stuttering, clicking, and/or popping, I don't think it's WA. If you have tried to 'enhance' your Windows codecs with a 3rd party package, that may be the problem.

Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 desktop, Winamp Pro 5.666.3516, cPro MPxi_remix skin, 5.1 speaker system
Old 23rd May 2012, 12:26   #136
kzuse

No, I haven't enhanced the Windows codecs. What I meant by disabling was: Go to the options of the Windows Media input plugin (in_wm) and remove WMA from it's associated extensions. Then go to in_dshow's configuration and add WMA. Then restart Winamp.

On my Windows XP (SP3) the files are then played via a DirectShow Filter called "WMAudio Decoder DMO". I think this is preinstalled in Windows XP and sounds fine.

I am using DirectSound output with default buffersizes. I realized that stuttering especially occurs when many programs are open, as if Winamp's WMA decoding would eat up much CPU. The same number of programs open, there is no stuttering when playing MP3 files with Winamp, or playing that WMA file with Windows Media Player or the DirectShow Filter.

My PC is rather old, 1,6 GHz single-core and 1GB RAM. Maybe this CPU load issue doesn't occur on newer machines with more power. But it should be able to play WMA files lag-free on a 1,6 GHz system as other players do it well...

Anyway, if it's too much effort to optimize these routines, no problem. I just want to notice about it. I can use other players for those files, as it's just a handful old files (and not quite the kind of music I listen to very often, as you might imagine...)

Best regards,
kzuse
Old 24th May 2012, 02:24   #137
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
My PC is rather old, 1,6 GHz single-core and 1GB RAM. Maybe this CPU load issue doesn't occur on newer machines with more power. But it should be able to play WMA files lag-free on a 1,6 GHz system as other players do it well...

Anyway, if it's too much effort to optimize these routines, no problem. I just want to notice about it. ...
Thanx for the details, it makes things very clear. Making such changes on my system would be pointless since I don't have the stuttering problem with the WA defaults (in this area) as is.

The hardware and OS may be a point. More powerful hardware does hide a multitude of sins. I'm using a 3GHz 4-core cpu and 4GB of RAM with Win 7. I still get random slow downs when running a lot of resource hungry apps at the same time. If you can add another 1GB of RAM to your system, to reduce swapping to virtual memory, it may help when running new versions of some apps.

WA allows the removal of a lot of things not used or needed which reduces the resources it uses. Suggesting some WA optimization in places ( I can agree with that), is not the same as suggesting a bug. That said, I understand why you think your issue is/was a bug. But when moving forward, backward compatibility has to end at some point.

I'm glad you still have ways to enjoy those wma files. I like some of EJ's stuff.

Old 25th May 2012, 08:53   #138
kzuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
More powerful hardware does hide a multitude of sins.
You're so right... But all in all, with that hardware, working with a (reasonably clean...) Windows XP can still be swift and fast and fun.

Okay, I understand that no more optimizations are done in that ways, most importantly because there is to little time left. Absolutely agree... but thinking back in Winamp 2.xx days, where we all were so happy with our Windows 98 SE machines and 733 MHz pentium II processors, Winamp (!) could play exactly this file very smoothly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I'm glad you still have ways to enjoy those wma files. I like some of EJ's stuff.
Yes He's really had some cool stuff, this one isn't one of his best, but an example for the "non-bug bug"... What leads me to the question (to myself, mainly) why certain other files don't show this behaviour at all.

Okay, long story short - I can live with it, but if in a far future there was any chance that there would be too much time, it would be great if it could be looked into it.

Best regards,
kzuse
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Tags
index, m4a