ok, first off, i love my RAT 7, absolutely 100% love it, but i've been playing more and more competitive video games lately, eve online, APB reloaded to name the major offenders and there's a couple of hiccups and glitches every once in a while.
it works perfectly fine about 90% of the time, but using a cloth mousepad (steelseries Qck+) even the cat walking on the pad or cigarette ashes makes the pad dirty enough the laser sensor won't track at a consistent speed across it, so i thought sure, maybe it's the first hardware revision that's the problem and the left mouse button stopped working on the old one.
oh boy, it just gets worse and worse from there on out, RMA process: FUCKING NIGHTMARE, it took nearly three weeks for the replacement mouse to show up, they did replace my old first hardware revision RAT 7 with a revision 2 one, but it's still not an improvement, the little blinder thing they put on the bottom of the sensor does NOTHING, lifting still sends this mouse batshit crazy but that's ok, i can train myself not to lift if i really try and honestly it's a habit i've all but broken myself of since, however they required me to pay postage and ship the old one back to them, what the fuck, if not for being able to get my mom to bring home a crappy optical mouse she had an extra of at work, i would have been unable to use the computer at all for three entire weeks and the shipping cost about $5 too, completely unacceptable RMA process, i really couldn't think of a single thing they could do to make their RMA process worse, except maybe slower shipping.
not only that, i could and maybe should RMA this second one, but my first experience with having to have it replaced was just too traumatic to voluntarily go through that shit again and it's nothing that affects the mouse functionally, it's just that the little adjustment tool that's supposed to screw into the rear for storage came with stripped out threads really and won't stay in place.
so, i figure, maybe it's the mousepad? i love cloth/fabric mousepads because they're more comfortable to use in general, but it sure seems to attract dirt like a magnet to a piece of iron which causes the mouse to spaz out in some way or another or not cause major problems and track inconsistently which means my performance in competitive games suffers as a result, yeah i know what you're thinking "god what a first world problem" and sure, it is but i game very competitively, honestly i find i'm talking myself down from recording my play and starting a youtube channel more and more often lately (it'll never happen, i will not accept google+ and it's privacy invasion, RL and internet are separate worlds all there is to it and i will fight and die to keep it that way if it comes down to it) but that's not what this is about, i'm happy to be your average joe player with way too much time on his hands and leave it at that, i don't need to try to turn a profit on something i do for fun and sell out i'd rather keep enjoying it thanks.
so anyway, i decided to get a qpad heaton on the advice of other RAT 7 owners, i have to wonder what the fuck they were smoking though, it refuses to track acceptably on this hardtop pad at all, i can't tell if it's because the pad has a pattern/design on it or if it's just because the RAT's phillips twin eye laser engine hates hardtop pads, but at this point, i'm fed up, beyond fed up, i'm at the point i just stop using RAT branded products and i'm tempted to send a reply to that last email from the guy who works for them just to tell them what a fucked over job they're doing out of spite and how they've lost a customer for the rest of my life.
so here's the point of this thread:
i need a new gaming mouse, price is no option, it needs to track consistently across the whole pad for at least 12+ hours uninterrupted at a time, minimum, i've pulled 16+ hours gaming sessions and it's not much of a rarity either, a game just has to interest me enough and losing sleep every now and again probably will happen once or twice when i first start up on it.
logitech are out as i break them within a month. do not recommend this brand, i will not reply to anyone who does this goes for no names "just get a cheapo $5 derp", no, RTFT and post a helpful answer, don't troll.
microsoft mice are out as well, they really have no gaming mice on their own website anyway so anyone considering recommending them needs a reality check as well, their hardware is totally indestructible though and that's why i still use a microsoft sidewinder gaming keyboard.
i'm mainly considering the razer mamba 2012, but there's a few things that worry me and some other stuff i want to know before sending off for it.
1. the finish, my current RAT 7 does make my hand sweat with extended use, requiring me to take my hand off of it and wipe the moisture from my hand, bad mouse, i need something with a finish that won't make my hand sweat like one of those cheap plastic torture cots they have kindergarteners sleep on for naptime.
2. buttons, i need a mouse that's designed for right handed two button grip, if i can find one designed for either hand that's just as comfortable i suppose that may work as well, but i find that ambidextrous mice as less comfortable overall with either hand, i do also need easy to reach forward and backwards buttons for web browsing and a dpi selected in easy somewhere on the mouse, rocker or buttons either is fine for dpi selector.
3. scroll wheel, this is the main reason i won't consider logitech, their scroll wheels collect dirt like crazy from my experience and have caused me immense problems and 3 RMA'd logitech mice within 3 months, it must have a wheel can be cleaned and it must scroll nicely and have a noticeable feel to it when i've scrolled one "notch", free spinning is NOT an option, i need to know whether i've scrolled one notch or two without having to think about it.
4. wireless, personally i really don't see any use for wireless, i typically don't have problems with the cord impeding my movements, this does seem to be a selling point that goes to the old (non 2012 afaik) razer mamba as you could plug the cord into the front of the mouse to charge or game wired and unplug it to play wirelessly, i personally WILL NOT however get any use out of wireless, but this functionality seems to be gone from the mamba 2012? i can't be sure though so that's why it's been included here.
5. tracking, i need at least 5000dpi at a minimum, i have a huge mouse mat and use mice with sensitivity adjustment buttons/rockers on the mouse so that if i have to be more precise than 5000dpi lets me i can switch down to 4000dpi to snipe you out easily with precision at the touch of a single button, however it MUST track consistently preferably on a wide variety of surfaces, i really like the steelseries Qck+ for it's size and comfort but it's an absolute dirt magnet causing the RAT 7 to track inconsistently at a moments notice sometimes so i probably mainly be using this mouse on a hardtop gaming pad, another thing to note is the durability of the steelseries Qck+ is pathetic at best the first trip through the washing machine started noticeable fraying at the edges of the pad, after 3+ more trips, it's starting to warp and soon probably won't lay flat, if you can recommend a mouse that can track consistently on any surface including glass or mirrors that will be a huge step towards me taking your recommendation as my current mouse is just far too overly picky about what it will and won't track properly on.
6. grip, i typically use a palm/fingertip grip, i do not and will not use a claw type grip or a mouse that's designed for that, if i can effectively use a palm or fingertip grip your recommendation may stay as long as it's comfortable otherwise, you're disqualified now, leave.
typical grip for reference.
grip while using mousewheel.
before i end #6 i will say that three button mice are also out of the question, if i can't comfortably grip it with two fingers on the left and right mouse buttons it simply won't work i've never been able to middlefinger grip for the mousewheel and i'm not really interested in starting now, i just don't have the dexterity required for me to be able to count on my performance with a three finger grip.
anyway, that's about all i can think of for now, remember, please don't troll, suggestions for logitech and no name or microsoft branded gaming mice will be ignored and/or berated with a loud RTFT noob, as they deserve, if your post makes it evident you didn't read the entire OP that applies as well.