Old 20th March 2013, 17:55   #1
Vortez

Video tearing is annoying...

Hi, i've always been a fan of winamp and used it exclusively for 15 years now, but since i got my new lcd screen, the tearing while playing video is very bad, it's much more noticable now than with my old crt. Playing the same video in wmp work fine, no tearing. It's especially noticable on fast moving scene, and very anoying.

Cmon guys, im a game programmer and i know how easy it is to enable vsync... Turning the option on and off in the settings dosen't do a thing. Could you please fix this issue so me and countless other can enjoy better video experience? I would take about 5 mins finding/adding the correct source code line to fix that for crying out loud...

It's so anoying that im about to decompile your dlls and fix the issue myself...
Vortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 06:19   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
just as an aside, why does anyone use winamp to do video? VLC and others are far superior for video.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 12:14   #3
Vortez

Because without this bug, winamp would be the best...
Old 22nd March 2013, 14:46   #4
kzuse

Send a message via ICQ to kzuse Send a message via Skype™ to kzuse
That's why I continued to use Winamp 5.56 for years and years, because this was the last version to support DirectShow video overlay.

Giving a great performance, smooth scaling, and no tearing at all.

For some absolutely stupid and lame reason, the Winamp Dev team decided to drop this and replacing it by a bloated, DirectX-downloads-requiring, VC++ Runtime requiring, ugly, slow, and completely unneccessary new Fullscreen interface.

Because DirectShow is no more able to be used by this interface (who needs a transparent scrollbar in full screen?? I so much loved the old one...), video is now stuttering, tearing, looking bad, and eating CPU on every non highperformance computer.

(Little "hint, hint" to the Winamp Devs.... I want the old overlay mode with the simple OSD back... )

Best regards,
kzuse
kzuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 14:54   #5
DrO

and Directshow has a plethora of issues on newer OSes which is one of the main reasons for moving to a DirectX based method - so it was done for the best of intentions though i won't comment on the change in the UI which was made at the time.

and the download is only needed if you've not got a compatible version which is more for Milkdrop's benefit than for that of the video playback to correct the statement above about it.

the old way isn't coming back, simple enough as that. no one is stopping you using old versions but don't expect support if things break on it.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 15:28   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzuse View Post
For some absolutely stupid and lame reason, the Winamp Dev team decided to drop this ...
And what reason is that, in your opinion?

Microsoft Windows dropped the old overlay method. I also don't like new technology that does not seem to improve things. But what is the alternative, would you really like for Winamp to stay with old Windows XP level tech, which is now 3 generations behind us?

Maybe the new tech could be better supported, there is usually room for fine tuning. But the old must always give way to the new at some point.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 15:34   #7
DrO

calling DirectX 'new' is amusing seeing as it's about comparable with DirectShow in age - thanks for the smile from that.
Old 22nd March 2013, 15:43   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
calling DirectX 'new' is amusing seeing as it's about comparable with DirectShow in age - thanks for the smile from that.
I was referring to the display architectural changes (Aero) that affect how overlays are handled, but I get your point.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 22nd March 2013, 21:56   #9
kzuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
And what reason is that, in your opinion?

Microsoft Windows dropped the old overlay method.
Uhm... strangely, Overlay works still very well in VLC Player under Windows 7?? You just have to select the DirectShow output and there you are!

Moreover, DirectShow filters also still continue to work very well in Windows 7, as MediaPlayerClassic demonstrates.

I didn't want to bad-mouth it.
And I also am using Winamp 5.63 nowadays, and on two of four computers I also use Windows 7. But an option to select overlay, as MPC and VLC still support in Win7, hadn't been the worst idea if it was there.

Anyway, I understand that it's not going to happen and I can very well live with it, as I use Winamp for music only and it is the greates, best, first and foremost player for it!
Old 23rd March 2013, 14:43   #10
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzuse View Post
Uhm... strangely, Overlay works still very well in VLC Player under Windows 7?? You just have to select the DirectShow output and there you are!
Maybe we are talking about different types of overlay. I once used WinDVD that let me use the desktop to show a movie or video and I could run other apps on top of that. Vista broke that feature.

Now I use TotalMedia Theatre 5 to play DVDs and BR. It has to disable Aero to do so (Aero is re-enabled when I exit). For other video files I use WMP with a codec package or VLC for the occasional format that the codec package can't handle without a lot of adjustments.

I also only use Winamp for music (since other apps handle video way better) and agreed that it is the best at doing that.

Old 23rd March 2013, 16:48   #11
kzuse

Yes, Vista broke it, but 7 reintroduced it. Yes, Aero is disabled for it, but who cares in full-screen mode?

Anyway, as I said, I can live with it...
Old 31st March 2013, 06:08   #12
Vortez

I've just downloaded the 5.56 version, and yes, no tearing!! and the old nice full screen interface... which is WAY better. Honestly, you've made a very bad desision with those changes, no one want to listen to video that continuously tear because you added a new interface... which is ugly and annoying btw

And if it use directx now, i don't see how hard it is to add vsync capability, it's 1 freaking line of code...
Old 31st March 2013, 16:27   #13
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortez View Post
it's 1 freaking line of code...
go on then, for those of us (as i don't care much for video playback anyway especially if i've never seen the tearing issue) who don't know about video handling, what is this magical one line fix??
Old 31st March 2013, 20:36   #14
Vortez

d3dpp.FullScreen_RefreshRateInHz = D3DPRESENT_RATE_DEFAULT;

d3dpp.PresentationInterval = D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE; // no vsync
d3dpp.PresentationInterval = D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_ONE; // vsync

I didn't mean to be rude, but fixing the issue would be great for those of us who like to use winamp to play our movies. I can't see how you dont see those lines when things are moving fast in the latest version, unless you still use a crt or a very bad monitor. Im not the first one complaining about it either, just google it...

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=322150
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2072036
http://www.avforums.com/forums/compu...o-tearing.html

and so on...

i might be wrong, maybe it's not vsync related, but it sure look like it, and version 5.56 work just great.

To conclude, wouldn't you like it if winamp was the #1 player in the world, like it should be if more sane decision had been made in the past??? I noticed a tendency in good programs to start adding ton of craps features when a program reach maturity, rendering it bloated, slower, and bug filled in the end. I mean cmon, just turning the new skin on eat 20-40% of my cpu just by playing mp3 (it's near 0-1% when using the classic skin)... which make games lag ect. Who want to buy a core i7 just to play mp3 while playing games?

What do i like about winamp? well the playlist is very good, the plugins system is awsome,
the enhancer plugins + the built in equalizer really make songs and movies sound much better than any other player, and the interface is more fun to use than wmp a LOT, especially for swiching between fullscreen and windowd mode.
Old 31st March 2013, 20:48   #15
DrO

ok, will look into it based on the above (from a quick check it seems to compare with Milkdrop's behaviour re: tearing handling so it will probably work).

i've never seen tearing myself and i've not used a crt in years though i don't doubt that it's happening.

and i'm more than aware of the complaints from people about the change (i have read some of the dire vitriol that has gone via the feedback form on such things).

all i can say is keep an eye out for a newer 5.7 beta in the coming days to see if that makes any difference or not.
Old 31st March 2013, 20:49   #16
Vortez

Nice
Old 11th April 2013, 00:32   #17
DrO

dunno if you've seen the new beta is out with the suggested change in place...
Old 4th October 2013, 05:20   #18
Astrovalley

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
ok, will look into it based on the above (from a quick check it seems to compare with Milkdrop's behaviour re: tearing handling so it will probably work).

i've never seen tearing myself and i've not used a crt in years though i don't doubt that it's happening.

and i'm more than aware of the complaints from people about the change (i have read some of the dire vitriol that has gone via the feedback form on such things).

all i can say is keep an eye out for a newer 5.7 beta in the coming days to see if that makes any difference or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
just as an aside, why does anyone use winamp to do video? VLC and others are far superior for video.
Why you use winamp you have another option dear obvious winamp is good player but u can choose vlc aslo.
Astrovalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support