Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions

Closed Thread
Old 3rd November 2012, 14:55   #81
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
thats great news.

my exp with radio engineers is that they hate to ever upgrade anything thats working. my guess is that most of them are on 1.8.x or 1.9.x DSPs. also, i bet most are like me, and they keep old vers on HD so they can revert if they ever need to.

i however like to upgrade, b/c i see the advantages in it. newer encoders, new functions, i like to try it all out and report any issues i find. but i am def in the minority on that score.

if you look at just the shoutcast listings though, you can see a lot of broadcasters use the DNAS. perhaps its an idea to have every DSP loaded call home once a day or something, just to see how many are actively being used?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
Old 3rd November 2012, 15:19   #82
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

there's little we can do about people sticking on old versions (just like with Winamp or Windows, etc). if money was made from the Source DSP then maybe there would be a greater push but as it's not then yes it gets updated but it's not a priority. so we offer what is 'current' and it's down to people if they do or don't use it and how much they care about using a supported version.

as for an update / call-home feature, even with an option to disable it i just don't think it would generally be liked. and if someone isn't bothered about keeping up with current versions (or anything within the last year or two) then an update mechanism isn't going to help. and only DNAS are allowed in the listing so not sure what you're getting at about that.

i know why you mention it and in some cases it has merit but as more time passes, the more i'm coming to the conclusion is that a lot of SHOUTcasters just don't care about using current things or that they are bothered about the quality of their station details e.g. leaving things at 'autodj' which is just no use to the broadcaster or for listeners and other than blocking such things from the Directory, there's little which can be done if the stations aren't proactive.

[edit]
test builds have been sent to the appropriate people...

-daz

If you have issues with Winamp or still want to get it, ensure
you get v5.666 build 3516 and the required plug-in updates
Old 4th November 2012, 20:55   #83
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

reports so far on the test build is that it's looking like the soundcard capture issue is resolved. just waiting on the remaining testers to confirm things and then hopefully will be good to go with a v2.3.2 release in the coming week (famous last words).

-daz

Old 5th November 2012, 14:00   #84
spectral_forces

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
reports so far on the test build is that it's looking like the soundcard capture issue is resolved. just waiting on the remaining testers to confirm things and then hopefully will be good to go with a v2.3.2 release in the coming week (famous last words).

-daz
It's a thumbs up from me!

Old 6th November 2012, 11:20   #85
Porgos

Hi guys,

I've been using this plugin along with the DNAS server for 3 months now for a private server. I must say the progress on the plugin has been excellent, really. So regarding the plugin, since it's the one that does the encoding (LAME 3.99, right?) couldn't there be an option for the encoding quality? I'm talking about the -q 2 parameter in the LAME CLI. The reason? Slower encoding yes, but better quality with the same bitrate. My ears tell me that the plugin encodes in fast mode, but I could be wrong. Thanks!
Old 6th November 2012, 13:07   #86
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

with the Source DSP not running, you'd need to edit dsp_sc.ini (in %appdata%\Winamp\plugins) and change the QualityMode entry for the encoder required. it can be set from 0 (best) - 9 (worst) and seems the default for the plug-in has historically been 8 (though the lame default is 5 so may need to consider the impact of altering that default in a later release).

how much of an effect altering that will have i cannot say as the output is basically CBR.

-daz

Old 6th November 2012, 13:49   #87
MrSinatra
Forum King

when i encode local files to CBR with EAC, i set the Q to 1 as 0 seems very slow, but 1 is still pretty fast. my guess is that when encoding and playing in realtime, increasing this value will increase the lag, HOWEVER, i also think the difference in lag between 8 and say, 3, on a modern processor would be negligible, perhaps even impossible to measure. as you go to 2 and 1 and 0, it might be perceptible.

i'm glad the option is exposed in the ini. when i get the hardware i'm using to encode upgraded, i will try out 3 and 2.

--
Old 6th November 2012, 13:55   #88
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

from what i can tell, the Source DSP has provided that ini option going back to v1.9.x from what i can tell, but as you point out, having it set too high when streaming could introduce more of a lag or it could lead to buffering issues with clients. yes it's probably not much of an issue now compared to the time when v1.9 come out but i don't want to rock that boat until i've had a chance to see (and if defaults were changed, it would only be on new installs).

-daz

Old 6th November 2012, 15:46   #89
Quad127

I am a Broadcaster who as of last night have been searching the web for hours for a solution to the same DSp v2.3.1 problem I've been reading here (no audio, no metadata being sent to winamp) unable to use the newest version after *upgrading* winamp a few months ago. I'm relieved to find the posts here and that there is actually someone actively on top of the issues put forth. ( Dro ) I commend you for fielding all the questions and concerns on this issue AND putting in so much time to achieve a solution.

I run a HP desktop with SAM broadcaster and a Pavilion laptop when DJ'n live w/a Rane 57,turntables & Serato software so a solution to the sound card issue is critical to me. Had I known of the forum I would have posted my concerns. I agree with a previous poster that there are many shoutcasters using the sound card and due to my own experience I had no reason to complain when things were working well. I have no problem with upgrades, but the 2.3.1 issues threw me and I had to dive in the web to find an older version that would allow me to continue streaming over the air. Right now I'm able to use a 1.9.1 with (bandaids) good enough to keep the station up. I look forward to the release of the newest update (v.2.3.2). Thx again for all your work.
Old 8th November 2012, 15:20   #90
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

First post has been updated with a direct link to the new version as well as an updated changelog for the v2.3.2 release.

Note: Anyone who was provided a test build before this release should install this version.

-daz

Old 11th November 2012, 17:08   #91
Pawel

Send a message via ICQ to Pawel
Here is the Polish translation file for SHOUTcast DSP 2.3.2 Plugin.

The file: http://shup.com/Shup/556641/dsp_sc.lng

Just put it in the following folder:
\Winamp\Lang\pl-PL\

-----------
Polskie tłumaczenie wtyczki SHOUTcast DSP 2.3.2
Pobierz (link u góry) i wrzuć do katalogu:
\Winamp\Lang\pl-PL\
Old 11th November 2012, 18:00   #92
MrSinatra
Forum King

hey DrO, great work on all this... some comments, questions:

i do think a once a day type call home feature, with opt out, is worthy. and esp so if it would actually display a dialog that says "a new dsp is available for DL" when it is. over time, i can see that being adopted and paying dividends.

when you mention the fixes for soundcard initialization, do any of those have any bearing on how windows starts? my concern there is an old issue, where if u started a windows machine using remote desktop, as opposed to a local auto logon, the audio would not flow. could these fixes have fixed that? (i tend to think not, as i think this is a windows issue, but i'm curious)

also, when you say this:

"Updated albumart support to get the raw playing artwork instead of the decoded artwork and having to re-encode to png when using Winamp v5.6+ (still happens on pre-5.6 or if there is an external artwork file due to the Winamp artwork api) "

do you mean artwork that isn't embedded when you say external artwork? b/c when we talked about this before, you said the api could accommodate artwork in folders, as well as in files. just looking for clarification, b/c i also recall there were size issues/limits, etc...

thanks!

--
Old 11th November 2012, 20:19   #93
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
i do think a once a day type call home feature, with opt out, is worthy. and esp so if it would actually display a dialog that says "a new dsp is available for DL" when it is. over time, i can see that being adopted and paying dividends.
i know where you're coming from but if i cannot get the installer uploaded without having to attach it to a forum thread, how am i (or whoever works on it after me) going to keep that updated? i know where you're coming from but for the numbers i've seen, it's just not worth the time investment.

Quote:
when you mention the fixes for soundcard initialization, do any of those have any bearing on how windows starts? my concern there is an old issue, where if u started a windows machine using remote desktop, as opposed to a local auto logon, the audio would not flow. could these fixes have fixed that? (i tend to think not, as i think this is a windows issue, but i'm curious)
i have no idea as i've never fully tried to replicate the issue or make any attempt to make code changes to try to resolve the issue. so most likely it is still an issue but i cannot say for certain either way.

Quote:
do you mean artwork that isn't embedded when you say external artwork? b/c when we talked about this before, you said the api could accommodate artwork in folders, as well as in files. just looking for clarification, b/c i also recall there were size issues/limits, etc...
i did the changelog on what i'd noted at the time, maybe i've noted it wrong. all i know is that from embedded (non-external) artwork is obtained as the raw artwork without the deocde and re-encode to png stage (unless on < 5.6 installs). from what i've noted (and i'm not able to check at the time of reply), i believe the external (non-embedded) artwork is just decoded and isn't obtained at a raw level (as if memory serves me right, that's not how the API works as getting of the raw un-decoded artwork is done on a per-plug-in basis and if it's not done via a plug-in then currently it'll just give a decoded version.

that would require changes to the artwork API to be able to get the raw artwork for non-embedded scenarios and the Source DSP will use it if it becomes available (needs a Winamp update), otherwise it reverts to the pre-5.6 behaviour so that it's able to get something rather than nothing (which i thought was the better way to go than just sticking the finger up and forcing people to update as they generally don't like doing).

-daz

Old 11th November 2012, 21:06   #94
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
i know where you're coming from but if i cannot get the installer uploaded without having to attach it to a forum thread, how am i (or whoever works on it after me) going to keep that updated? i know where you're coming from but for the numbers i've seen, it's just not worth the time investment.
i didn't know u had those kinds of AOL access issues. but here's what i would suggest, and i am not trying to be stubborn, i just like to document exactly what i mean, obviously your opinion is paramount.

but first, i think it would be good for just stat keeping, as opposed to updates. meaning, winamp would know how many were actively being used, that hadn't opted out.

but second, it could be used just to detect if a newer ver is available, meaning just checking a txt file or thread, etc, for a match/no match. if no match, give a link to a general DL location, like the shoutcast forum with stickies for this stuff.

at the very least, it would be encouragement to get people to upgrade.

Quote:
i have no idea as i've never fully tried to replicate the issue or make any attempt to make code changes to try to resolve the issue. so most likely it is still an issue but i cannot say for certain either way.
i actually am not currently maintaining my stations streams, but i do help them from time to time. i will try to remember to look into this deeper and get you better FYI.

Quote:
i did the changelog on what i'd noted at the time, maybe i've noted it wrong. all i know is that from embedded (non-external) artwork is obtained as the raw artwork without the deocde and re-encode to png stage (unless on < 5.6 installs). from what i've noted (and i'm not able to check at the time of reply), i believe the external (non-embedded) artwork is just decoded and isn't obtained at a raw level (as if memory serves me right, that's not how the API works as getting of the raw un-decoded artwork is done on a per-plug-in basis and if it's not done via a plug-in then currently it'll just give a decoded version.

that would require changes to the artwork API to be able to get the raw artwork for non-embedded scenarios and the Source DSP will use it if it becomes available (needs a Winamp update), otherwise it reverts to the pre-5.6 behaviour so that it's able to get something rather than nothing (which i thought was the better way to go than just sticking the finger up and forcing people to update as they generally don't like doing).

-daz
in this thread, review posts 20 - 32 and specifically 28, as i really hope external art, under those size limits, is passed "natively" b/c it will make a huge difference to what i am trying to accomplish, (and doubtless many others, since most winamp users likely don't embed, since winamp never embedded art itself).

if you could look those posts over and let me know how they relate to 2.3.2 i'd really appreciate it, thx!

--
Old 11th November 2012, 21:19   #95
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
in this thread, review posts 20 - 32 and specifically 28, as i really hope external art, under those size limits, is passed "natively" b/c it will make a huge difference to what i am trying to accomplish, (and doubtless many others, since most winamp users likely don't embed, since winamp never embedded art itself).

if you could look those posts over and let me know how they relate to 2.3.2 i'd really appreciate it, thx!
for what was talked about in those posts, i've now checked and as i thought was the case in my reply above, it needs a Winamp update to be able to do it - the Source DSP will use the 'raw' version as long as Winamp is able to provide it. that is not the case for external artwork so until someone (looks like it'll end up being me) changes Winamp's handling, for the time being the Source DSP will _only_ be able to get the raw artwork in embedded scenarios, not from external files since the artwork API doesn't support it.

-daz

Old 11th November 2012, 21:24   #96
Porgos

Using your instructions, my station now encodes with q -1. The difference is very noticeable, from the -8 which was the default. Thank you!
Old 11th November 2012, 21:31   #97
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
for what was talked about in those posts, i've now checked and as i thought was the case in my reply above, it needs a Winamp update to be able to do it - the Source DSP will use the 'raw' version as long as Winamp is able to provide it. that is not the case for external artwork so until someone (looks like it'll end up being me) changes Winamp's handling, for the time being the Source DSP will _only_ be able to get the raw artwork in embedded scenarios, not from external files since the artwork API doesn't support it.

-daz
i'm not trying to be annoying, but does what you just said there above, mean this in post 28:

Quote:
[edited post]
would help if i was properly awake, i didn't see the code correctly and it does get the raw data from the external artwork files once it's tried to get it from the file's tag. just means i need to finish going through to make sure that it won't crash / do anything weird though i won't release an updated DSP with these changes until i've seen how things go with the 2.3.1 release.

-daz
...was totally wrong?

i'm just confused, trying to understand this. as i said back then, i am confused why the handling for embeds would be totally different than for externals.

--
Old 11th November 2012, 21:34   #98
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

i don't bloody know now. easy option is to just try it out rather than making me have to do it when i've got far more pressing issues to fix.

Old 11th November 2012, 21:36   #99
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
i don't bloody know now.

i hope you know, and i really mean this sincerely, that i so much appreciate your efforts and that i just want to be helpful to you. i hope you say that in good humor, and aren't truly frustrated, b/c i think you're doing a great job!

--
Old 11th November 2012, 22:14   #100
MrSinatra
Forum King

DrO,

i have attempted to check it myself, but just to be clear, i'm not sure i understand it as well as you do, and i also started these questions in case the changelog needed to be corrected, or my understanding did (based on past posts).

in any case, i load the 2.3.2 dsp, and nothing else, no config of it, no DNAS. i then played things in winamp, and on the dsp > output > artwork tab, it says:

stream artwork:disabled

even though i have it checked to send the artwork. perhaps thats b/c there is no DNAS?

underneath, i see "playing artwork" and indeed it says "loaded" when the external art is under the 511 limit! so yea! success! and i thank you for that, (assuming i interpret this all properly). it also tells me when it fails for being oversized, so thats good too. it would be nice to see the art in the dsp, to visually see immediately success or fail.

EDIT:

i should add that i don't really know what the dsp is doing. if it were converting the jpeg to png or sending natively or whatever... how would i know?

--
Old 12th November 2012, 00:55   #101
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

by comparing the size of the raw artwork with what is reported in the dailog. and i know there should be the preview thing on the input tab to show what is / isn't being used but i didn't have the time to work on any of that as i wanted to get the 2.3.2 release out so as to alleviate support issues. either way, i'm away from the forums for the next week so i'm not too bothered about it all now.

Old 19th November 2012, 20:49   #102
StreamGuysDave

Port entry problems with version 2.3.2 [Build 190]

Having a bit of trouble with version 2.3.2 [Build 190]

I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit and WinAmp v5.63

In the port field (under the Login tab), it allows me to enter the first digit of the 4 digit port need to enter. But as soon as I enter a 2nd digit, it then deletes my entry and immediately auto fills the field with either "65535" or "8000". Seems to happen no matter which mode I choose (legacy or non).

We've gotten reports from a few of our clients who have also reported having the same trouble.

Dave Davidson
Senior Support Tech
StreamGuys
Old 19th November 2012, 21:41   #103
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

with how it's setup then that's expected as it checks things and if it deems the output is invalid / out of range then it'll spin back to the default of 8000 or 65535 (if deemed out of range).

only thing i can think off which would help is if the field selects all of the text when clicked / tabbed into so that entering the input will work in a more appropriate manner.

-daz

Old 19th November 2012, 22:24   #104
StreamGuysDave

Thanks DrO for the quick reply...

Okay, does seem to work if I tab over from the Server address field, or if I first highlight the current port entry and then type in the new one over it.

Hmmm...guess we'll need to let folks know from now on that they can no longer place the curser directly into that field and delete the current port before typing in the new one.

Dave Davidson
Senior Support Tech
StreamGuys
Old 19th November 2012, 22:29   #105
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

alas by not having the plug-in validate things beforehand it was causing us (more me really) more support issues than should have been, hence making it do as it now does in the v2.3.x releases.

i'll followup with a test build with the focusing/selection changes i've mentioned before the end of the week (hopefully sooner) to make sure that it's ok and doesn't cause other issues for you and your clients. as you're going to have an up hill battle to get them to cope with it.

-daz

Old 20th November 2012, 12:22   #106
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Dave: i've sent you a link to a test build to try out with the changes mentioned above.

-daz

Old 15th December 2012, 16:17   #107
A-tone

Thx 4 the response. Just to follow-up, the issue was that I had installed a router and was trying to listen to the station via a Wi-Fi connected laptop on that same router that the station was broadcasting from. Once I connected from a different location, it was fine. Please check out my new post when time permits.
Old 20th December 2012, 04:43   #108
Joseph039

massive development of the DSP.
Old 17th January 2013, 03:28   #109
zaralad

Change in userid for logging into Shoutcast server

Hi,
I switched from DSP 2.2.3 to DSP 2.3.2 and now when I enter my userid in the DJ/userid field i I get illegal userid /password from the Shoutcast server!
My id and my pw did not change, it all worked great in 2.2.3. I know the format has changed by I have no clue what to enter now in order to log in.
Thanks for any suggestion.
Old 17th January 2013, 10:24   #110
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

and i have no idea what you're connecting to in order to advise what to set as in most cases, you don't need to have the 'DJ/User ID' field specified _unless_ you're connecting to sc_trans as a DJ or using a newer build of the v2 DNAS which accepts that field as a way to ident the stream _but_ is not required for the login to work.

as such all i can do is refer you to the docs and the configuration examples page and select the one that best fits your setup (online version is as http://wiki.winamp.com/wiki/Source_D...ation_Examples).

-daz

Old 10th June 2013, 12:46   #111
morttt

WinAmp/DSP crashes on certain MP3's

Hi,

I've recently installed plugin version 2.3.2 on my machine, running Winamp 5.623 (x86). I'm broadcasting to a local installation of ShoutCast (now sure about the version, but the current available).

All works fine until it wants to play certain mp3 files. At first I thought these files were corrupted, but I soon discovered it all were songs with the album art embedded. I don't even have to be connected to the ShoutCast server, WinAmp crashes as soon as it tries to connect to the server with one of these songs.

Easily reproduced (can provide MP3 if necessary) but so far I didn't have any luck in solving the issue.

Regards,
M.
Old 10th June 2013, 12:56   #112
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

install Winamp 5.63 or the 5.7 beta (that is better if you still get crashes with 5.63 so it can be debugged against the current code base). as 5.623 is an unsupported version.
Old 10th June 2013, 13:20   #113
morttt

Installing version 5.63 solves the issue. Thanks.

One note though... I based my question on your first post where you state it should work with WinAmp 5.5 and higher. Might I suggest an edit on that note?

Quote:
Note: This updated version of the plug-in will only work on Winamp 5.5 and higher and requires Windows 2000 and higher to work (though the plug-in has only been actively tested on Windows 2000 / XP / Window 7). Additionally, this is a 32-bit dll like Winamp though should run fine on a 64-bit version of Windows.
Old 10th June 2013, 13:31   #114
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

technically it is correct, it's more that there was a bug in 5.623 which is only exhibited when the artwork option is enabled in the Source DSP and adding in version specific hacks to control functionality causes more issues in the long run, hence allowing the plug-in to call the faulty code in Winamp and crash so it then causes an update (not ideal i know but crashes tend to see an update happen).

though is a fair point and is something to look into with the message and what's supported as a whole as with Windows 2000 support having been dropped from the 5.7 beta, i think we can end up moving the Source DSP to be used with v5.7+ so we're only on XP+ and i can remove most / all of the specific OS and pre-5.6/post-5.6 version checks that are in there now.
Old 12th June 2013, 10:27   #115
morttt

You say it only happens with the artwork option enabled? I had the same issue after switching this option off. As said before, only when Winamp tried to play a song with the artwork embedded in the file.
Old 12th June 2013, 10:31   #116
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

well you probably found a new bug in 5.623 then, but as it all works in 5.63 then it really doesn't matter too much now if it's fixed in the current Winamp release. since 5.623 is not supported as we only recommend using the current Winamp release (or beta if suggested to do so).
Old 3rd July 2013, 02:44   #117
greatdrake

Quick cipher response received fix

I kept getting a cipher response received notice when trying to connect for my first time.

I read forum posts for about 1 1/2 hours trying numerous things to try to resolve it. nothing worked. I was about to give up when I noticed a post saying to check if your server was online. I went into control panel and switched the server: On setting to Off then back to On. Bingo! I connected right away!
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:58   #118
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

what 'control panel' are you referring to ?
Old 26th September 2013, 23:02   #119
DrO
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

v2.3.3 has now been released as a forums exclusive (for the time being) -> http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=372044

Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions