Old 10th February 2014, 05:24   #1
Obsdark

Shoutcast/Icecast, & Winamp doubts

Ok,
i read a really old post with a similar theme than this one, but like wasn't the same question and it was so far back i preffer ask about it.

1) Winamp, can have access with some addon or something to the icecast list besides the Shoutcast one?, don't missunderstand me, i love Shoutcast & i love winamp, but i love to know if winamp can search &/or play icecast radios just for fun.

2) Is now possible to an icecast server register in the Shoutcast list?

3) If i install a Shoutcast server on one machine, and an icecast server in the same one, do i need use two different ports to transmit?, can i use just one of them for both?, the listeners counter detects people connected to that machine or through some determinated port?

Thanks a lot for the patience, & for your answer.
Obsdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 07:08   #2
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsdark View Post
3) If i install a Shoutcast server on one machine, and an icecast server in the same one, do i need use two different ports to transmit?, can i use just one of them for both?, the listeners counter detects people connected to that machine or through some determinated port?
no, different port is a must

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 11:23   #3
Obsdark

Thanks a lot

But how it works the listeners counter?,

it just detect connections from one port or from the ip as a general?

if you can help me with this one, would be greatly apreciated

-Obsdark-
Old 10th February 2014, 11:57   #4
jaromanda
Forum King

you'd have separate listener count, one for shoutcast, one for icecast - they are two different (and competing) programs, they don't talk to each other

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 12:08   #5
Obsdark

Thanks again

So sad... aparently Shoutcast & Icecast don't like to share...,

And just for funcys, (and technical issues, like testing & stuff) do you know if exist a way to play in winamp icecast radios?, or even see the radio list on it?

Don't get me wrong, i'm a fan of shoutcast for years, but it would be much confortly if i can just simply test everything in winamp.

Another question:, did you know where i must go if i wanna found a plug-in or addon for winamp now?

Thanks since now for this one.

-Obsd-
Old 10th February 2014, 12:42   #6
DrO

you cannot share the same port so it's not at all surprising that you need to run things on different ports to have a SHOUTcast and Icecast DNAS server running at the same time. and they've always been at odds since Icecast came about from people not liking SHOUTcast being a propriety system and for not supporting other codecs (e.g. OGG Vorbis) so it's no wonder that 'they don't play together'.

Winamp can play Icecast streams (as most are MP3 stream anyway) either via a direct stream url or via a playlist (be it m3u, pls or xpsf) and has been that way for years.

due to the sale of Winamp and SHOUTcast, it now means that a lot of the old site functionality has been removed and may / may not be restored over time. plug-ins should still be available from their own author sites or via one of the many ones which scraped winamp.com and are now hosting copies without permission of the plug-in authors. however, for most of what you likely need to do, you don't need to install extra plug-ins into Winamp.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 13:29   #7
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsdark View Post
....And just for funcys, (and technical issues, like testing & stuff) do you know if exist a way to play in winamp icecast radios?, or even see the radio list on it?
Create a custom "Online Service":

1. Find the URL for the desired directory.
2. In Winamp, right click on "Online Services", mouseover "Service Management", and click "New"
3. Edit the name field, if desired.
4. Copy and paste the directory URL into the indicated field.

I don't change the ID field.
I leave the Icon field blank.

Icecast: http://dir.xiph.org/index.php
Radionomy: http://www.radionomy.com

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 14:06   #8
DrO

alternatively download the attached file and use the Import option on the Service Management menu or you can just drop it into %appdata%\Winamp\Plugins\ml\omServices when Winamp is closed and it'll then appear on loading Winamp.

for adding other services, just change the id in the file and also the filename to match it.
Attached Files
File Type: ini omService_{0000077710}.ini (135 Bytes, 254 views)
Old 10th February 2014, 14:06   #9
DrO

and for SHOUTcast, see the file attached...
Attached Files
File Type: ini omService_{0000010100}.ini (209 Bytes, 227 views)
Old 10th February 2014, 18:31   #10
Obsdark

Man,...

You both rock.. Thanks you, a lot!

i think i'll check it out a little later, i'm just entering (Finaly) the part where i try to figure how download Icecast & SHOUTcast on Centos w/out Yum & try to install them with the right Permissions.

Can you help me with that?, i mean, is it right than just owner of that directory can write read and execute or i need to set some permision to others too?

Just for go ahead a little bit with the work?

Thanks a lot
Old 10th February 2014, 18:37   #11
DrO

is down to you how you want to setup it's permissions and file locations, etc as well as what the distribution you're using prefers, etc. so i cannot really advise much other than not to run them as 'root'.
Old 10th February 2014, 19:43   #12
Obsdark

Well... i'm Using CentOS 6.5

I'm thinking on create a folder (already done) with the owner of that, with all the priviledge on it (already done), but here is the problem, i just don't know how to install the last Shoutcast (sc_serv2_linux_11_29_2013.tar.gz) on that folder, it is there, on the folder already, but i can't do than, when i mount it, it appears there and no in Desktop.
(neither with icecast too)

-or-

if that isn't possible i think it can be a good idea know how to install it (because i already download it but not for yum install, don't let me in fact) and change priviledge in the necesary folders for that, if you can't help me with the first option, i Really apreciate you help me with the second one, that way i avoid make really heavy mistakes than make unusable or unsafe the server.

-or-

Any other suggestions is very much welcome.

Thanks a lot!
Old 10th February 2014, 20:04   #13
DrO

you just have to extract the contents of the archive into the folder you want to use and then run setup.sh (that is it at it's most basic).
Old 10th February 2014, 20:33   #14
Obsdark

thanks, what is the simpliest and safest of all the options for execute the shell?

i'm thinking remove all the graphic interface later, it would be cool if you can advise me with that because i'm thinking (and doing) a Shell to try to autoconfig the server in the future

Thanks
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support