Old 1st December 2017, 16:02   #2081
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Astrecks, You are not the only-one who cannot live without Winamp. Also I myself cannot live without Winamp and the Milkdrop Visualizer. It would be a nightmare for me, if suddenly my rights as adult to make my own decisions simply would be taken away from me and also my most loved music and my most loved software. At least I don't allow those third people to touch my computers who want to dictate my life and my music-taste only, and I also don't let them into our leased apartment.

I have mentioned already, that I myself had learned to know Windows XP only shortly. I know Windows Vista and Windows 7 at best. I never had learned to know Windows 8 / 8.1, and I am afraid already, that I myself will not experience Windows 10 anymore.

But I want to say again: Thank You, that Winamp and the Milkdrop Visualizer had come out and that they still are available, also if currently new versions didn't have come out.

And for all the developers, plugin authors, skin authors, preset authors: Keep up Your good work!!!...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 17:31   #2082
musicf8
Major Dude

Happy 4 year anniversary of no development!

(well, except the new 'logo')
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DQx3F2SVAAA6yk4.jpg
Views:	1802
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	53658  

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp 5.8: 9/14/2017

Winamp v5.63 (used w/ ml_ipod) bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 10:26   #2083
DJ-Garybaldy

4 years and nothing... No surprises there! Radionomy only wanted Shoutcast so they could turn it into a money making (scam) sorry venture...

Proud user of RadioDJ v2.0.0 FREE shoutcast automation software

Online: Twitter - Facebook - Mixcloud
DJ-Garybaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2017, 00:39   #2084
Bogdy

Any news?

Almost 4 years passed, any news about the release??
Bogdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2017, 00:41   #2085
Bogdy

Fuck it, just use aimp3, much better.
Bogdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2017, 01:47   #2086
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogdy View Post
you really created an account just to post those two posts a couple minutes apart?

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Winamp v5.63 (used w/ ml_ipod) bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
Old 16th December 2017, 00:21   #2087
Tohno_Neil

Wait For The Day
Tohno_Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2017, 11:15   #2088
old and quite mad
Major Dude

"I don't even use winamp or really know what it is. yeah" - Thedesignisgreat
old and quite mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2017, 20:49   #2089
xmuzack

Quote:
I'm going to put on my tinfoil hat here and say that I looked into aimp in the past but uninstalled it as soon as I saw that's it's developed in Russia. Knowing how much Russia hacks into everything, I don't want anything with exe's from that country. I may be a little bit paranoid, but no thanks.

Winamp still does everything I need it to do, and more.
xmuzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2017, 22:10   #2090
musicf8
Major Dude

Well, the USA and Europe hacks everything too, so you don't trust those programs either?

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 17th December 2017, 19:54   #2091
xmuzack

I'm aware of that. I'm picky about what I chose to download and run on my computer. Also not a fan of Android or Iphone. I know it's a losing game with privacy, but I do what I can.
xmuzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2017, 19:59   #2092
musicf8
Major Dude

It's actually not that hard to keep privacy if you're willing to give up some things. Mostly no social media, frequently use tor, NoScript, and if you use a smartphone, then use a rooted android with no google products on it.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 18th December 2017, 14:01   #2093
Anna19

I take it the AAC stations not being able to be played at the new Shoutcast site will be corrected at some point since Winamp has no problems playing them?
Anna19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2017, 15:25   #2094
hadi

LMAO at this point I think winamp is dead. If some developers could put an effort in they could write a similar software from scratch before an actual version of winamp gets released (which i doubt)

Winamp community should stop caring for radionomy or whatever the hell the company's name is. Focus on some other software maybe? foobar2000 is doing what i need it to do. I like it, and its developers who actually are alive.
(p.s. If you think i'm a foobar2000 fan just see my joined date. I stopped caring for winamp)

I'm 10000000% sure that if winamp gets released, They will force users to see ads and turn it into a crapware
hadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2017, 15:30   #2095
hadi

I'm sorry for the double post I can't find a way to edit the previous one. I have actually become a foobar2000 fan.
hadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2017, 16:35   #2096
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadi View Post
LMAO at this point I think winamp is dead. If some developers could put an effort in they could write a similar software from scratch before an actual version of winamp gets released (which i doubt)
If there were actually developers... oh wait.. there's DrO doing as such

Quote:
Winamp community should stop caring for radionomy or whatever the hell the company's name is. Focus on some other software maybe? foobar2000 is doing what i need it to do. I like it, and its developers who actually are alive.
Foobar sucks for my tastes, winamp works just fine and does everything I want it to, I don't see a point of moving to an alternative software just because development has ceased. Maybe when the software stops working as it should.

Anyway, nothing is more annoying than people coming on this forum acting all smug that they dropped winamp (well maybe the spammers are more annoying, though easier to ignore). Seriously, what's the point? Do you think we all care? If you dropped Winamp, good for you, but there's no need to gloat, it just makes you look like a asshat, just leave and go hang out in the foobar forums where you can actually be productive vs here.

p.s. Winamp is still has an active development via WACUP. Might not be the core, but it's something

Quote:
(p.s. If you think i'm a foobar2000 fan just see my joined date. I stopped caring for winamp)
Join dates doesn't mean anything, activity on the forums is what matters. Interestingly enough you said you stopped caring for winamp, but cared enough to post about it. I think you do care, just butthurt

Quote:
I'm 10000000% sure that if winamp gets released, They will force users to see ads and turn it into a crapware
As the current beta is now, doesn't seem like it, but who knows

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Last edited by musicf8; 19th December 2017 at 19:10.
Old 20th December 2017, 05:42   #2097
tapi0

IMO Winamp is not dead as long as it works which it does atleast now.
And if you want some updates to current Winamp you could check WACUP.

Windows 10 + Winamp 5.666 Build 3516 / WACUP 0.9.9.1988
tapi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 02:46   #2098
Thrakk

Ok, new idea. We do a kickstarter to fund a smear campaign that basically forces radionomy to do something.
Thrakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 08:22   #2099
Maradonaa

probably they could've made a premium version
Maradonaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 16:26   #2100
DJ-Garybaldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maradonaa View Post
probably they could've made a premium version
There used to be a premium version it was called Winamp Pro....

Quote:
Ok, new idea. We do a kickstarter to fund a smear campaign that basically forces radionomy to do something.
I doubt starting a crowd funder would change the situation any Radionomy aren't interested in Winamp only Shoutcast.

Old 25th December 2017, 22:12   #2101
Michieux

I've fooled around with plenty of others, but I always come back to my first love
Michieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2017, 12:51   #2102
Raj_09

Merry xmas to everyone. I do hope to see a new Winamp next year. I keep my hopes high. In the meantime, I have been unfaithful - currently using MusicBee (my current) and AIMP

Powering through with the bolt
Raj_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2017, 18:27   #2103
gpsmit84

When will we be able to get Winamp???

Hi Guys

When will Winamp be available???

It has been almost 4 years now... That homepage is really working on my nerves now.

The last time we heard, you guys said in 2017.... It's almost 2018 and still nothing.

Please let us know what is going on. Been with Nullsoft Winamp since 2000.

Thanks.
gpsmit84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2017, 18:32   #2104
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsmit84 View Post
The last time we heard, you guys said in 2017.... It's almost 2018 and still nothing.
It's campaigning to win the top vaporware award.

Read "There's more coming soon" as "It will be released when it's released"

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 1st January 2018, 02:49   #2105
moise9

enlace
moise9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 01:44   #2106
myrddin021

So... if I understood correctly, some guys from the forum are developers, if they are still developing? Why don't they get in touch with others who would help? I am not a developer but I'm sure there are web sites where developers post their projects and then other developers can join in if they like the project. The name of Winamp would certainly draw attention of many.
myrddin021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 01:55   #2107
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrddin021 View Post
So... if I understood correctly, some guys from the forum are developers, if they are still developing? Why don't they get in touch with others who would help? I am not a developer but I'm sure there are web sites where developers post their projects and then other developers can join in if they like the project. The name of Winamp would certainly draw attention of many.
Getting developers isn't the issue, the issue is that Radionomy doesn't care about Winamp, hence why they fired their developers and been silent for over 4 years. There's still WACUP if you haven't seen it.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 5th January 2018, 02:54   #2108
myrddin021

Well if they don't care, we can probably buy it for 50, maybe 65 bucks. If not, fk them, let's make "Wunamp" with mirrored logo and start whipping llama's a$$es, screw them!
Old 5th January 2018, 09:30   #2109
DJ-Garybaldy

Quote:
Well if they don't care, we can probably buy it for 50, maybe 65 bucks. If not, fk them, let's make "Wunamp" with mirrored logo and start whipping llama's a$$es, screw them!
When Radionomy bought Winamp along with shoutcast they paid a damn sight more than 50 bucks for the software and rights.

Try Millions then maybe they would sell you Winamp

Old 6th January 2018, 01:08   #2110
myrddin021

I offered them $100 and am waiting their response.
Old 6th January 2018, 10:19   #2111
chros

Quote:
i offered them $100 and am waiting their response.

Winamp 5.581 (DirectSound out) + ClockAmp 2.6 + mp3cue 5.0
MSI GE60(i73630QM,16GB,IntelHD4000(v10.18.10.4358)+GeForceGT650m(2GB,v355.98)+muxless,1920x1080@60Hz,Plextor M5M 256GB SSD,Win8.1x64+MPC-HCx64+LAV+MadVR)+Yamaha RX-830+LG 55LD650(1080p@24/25/30/60Hz)
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2018, 00:31   #2112
DigitalHare

Just someone checking in from 1.x days.

Man, I popped my nose over to look to see how Winamp's been doing and... It's kind of weird to see it in this state. I bought pro back when it was first offered up and all that. Popped by to try and grab it for the MilkDrop vis for a music player I use and... Wow. I kind of can't believe what I'm seeing in that it's been bought out again and abandoned. Registered to express some surprise at this; Winamp got me started with music and MP3s on my computer and here I am sitting at 13,000 songs these days when a couple hundred was a playlist I was proud of with Winamp's auto generated playlist thing.
DigitalHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2018, 10:23   #2113
DJ-Garybaldy

Quote:
I offered them $100 and am waiting their response.
I just choked on my coffee... $100 don't make me laugh like that

I told you make it Millions and maybe they'll entertain your idea.

Old 9th January 2018, 12:11   #2114
MDMB

I may be a Luddite, but for me Winamp is the business! Manages, plays and stores my rambling collection of Albums and playlists starting in 1960-ish and still growing!
I notice raised eyebrows when I mention using Winamp. But every time I try a supposedly superior product I end up seriously disappointed ~ nothing comes near the simplicity and usefulness of good old Winamp.
10/10 from my end.
Only one gripe, in that it sometimes does not recognise an album; but a bit of fiddling and it usually sorts itself out.
I recommend it to all and sundry. Despite the derision and mockery, no one has yet managed to show me a simpler or superior product.
As to upgrades. Well, I can wait ~ and am happy if they do nowt at all to it. Even with my head shredded by all and any amounts of, well, mind altering stuff, I can always find the sounds I want with Winamp.
MDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2018, 16:24   #2115
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMB View Post
I may be a Luddite, but...
This is the part most "Winamp outsiders" don't understand.. we may end up feeling like going against the current, but because media players evolved mostly[*] to satisfy needs too different from what Winamp satisfies.
Our need is still there, though it will probably die with us; Play and Manage local music with a powerful yet simple app.
Mobile shifted the need to online music, which most people embraced, but in countries like mine, where internet is not that fast, a local collection is gold. I guess Winamp could've evolved to a professional business sector where audio pros have a similar need, but seems too late for that.

Summing up, you're not a luddite, is the industry which moved away from us, not the other way around =).
[*] In mobile there are exceptions, which feels a lot like what Winamp would be in there, I recommend checking it out; PlayerPro, Neutron and PowerAmp. All Android, anyone with similar apps for iOS?

· · TMCT · KOMODO X
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2018, 17:45   #2116
AndreWinamp

Solution 1
https://www.neowin.net/news/limewire...ecret-dev-team

Solution 2
Ifdevs are not an issue, why don't we just start a new software from the ground?

Solution 3
Crowdsource and buy it from radionomy

Solution 4
Wait for a miracle (I still have faith)
AndreWinamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2018, 23:30   #2117
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
we may end up feeling like going against the current, but because media players evolved mostly to satisfy needs too different from what Winamp satisfies.
Our need is still there, though it will probably die with us; Play and Manage local music with a powerful yet simple app.
Personally I am not a fan of the way things have changed in that regard, and I can feel for what MDMB is saying about becoming a luddite as I am not a fan of a lot of the current tech nowadays (e.g. cloud).

I am very different from my friends in the sense that I have a large music collection that I cherish as much as my personal documents because they carry over 20 years of history of me collecting music and categorizing it. I also still buy CDs (and vinyl) because I prefer to have a physical copy that I can rip to FLAC. My friends on the other hand, I don't believe they even have a music collection anymore as they rely on cloud services like spotify/pandora/youtube. Every time I am over they are just streaming it via their game console/smart tv/etc.

I do miss the days of borrowing and lending CDs or burning CDs for road trips, parties, or friends, but I guess it is how it is these days. Still the thought of relying on a cloud service for anything irks me because it can so easily go offline or terms may change as I have seen in the past (like most recently for me Carbonite). When it comes to music, I will stick to my collection 95% of the time.

Now get off my lawn!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 10th January 2018, 12:27   #2118
dynamicradio

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post
Getting developers isn't the issue, the issue is that Radionomy doesn't care about Winamp, hence why they fired their developers and been silent for over 4 years. There's still WACUP if you haven't seen it.
Last I heard there was a legal issue stopping DJ Egg from releasing a Beta - it looked like until that issue the beta was close to being released. Was there any more updates about this? I know that all the AOL stuff needed to be removed but I presume this would have been done ready for the Beta which makes me wonder what legal stuff is stopping Winamps development. Part of me wonders if this is just Radioamy stopping this.

However, I'm not here to complain. I use Winamp and it works and I prefer it over the other stuff out there. I just hope one day Radioamy stops messing about
dynamicradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018, 16:31   #2119
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicradio View Post
Was there any more updates about this? I know that all the AOL stuff needed to be removed but I presume this would have been done ready for the Beta which makes me wonder what legal stuff is stopping Winamps development. Part of me wonders if this is just Radioamy stopping this.
It's been over 4 years and there's even still references to aol in this website's code.... tells you how eager radionomy is to produce and get out a new winamp or support the community.

Anyway, check out my signature, that's where I keep status of the most latest update

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 12th January 2018, 18:09   #2120
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrecks View Post
In that case, I will shelve trashing the Windows 10 laptop, I cannot live without Winamp!
You don't have to, if you don't mind a bit of fiddling: install Linux (e.g. Ubuntu) on it and use Audacious with classic Winamp skins. You can have exclusive mode as well, if you select Alsa as output device and choose direct hardware access. One of my laptop works this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMB View Post
I notice raised eyebrows when I mention using Winamp. But every time I try a supposedly superior product I end up seriously disappointed ~ nothing comes near the simplicity and usefulness of good old Winamp.
10/10 from my end.
Almost exactly! For me is only 9.5/10 because of the lacking proper wasapi output plugin.
I've been using Winamp for 20+ years, sometimes I looked for alternatives, but never found anything simple but amazing like it ... until now (see below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapi0 View Post
IMO Winamp is not dead as long as it works which it does atleast now.
That's correct: it's not dead, only development is dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post
Getting developers isn't the issue ...
Are you sure about it? If so, may I suggest to try to write a wasapi output plugin for it? That's the only thing I miss (but this is a deal breaker for me, see below why). There was recently an unsuccessful attempt for it in the form of yasapi output plugin, unfortunately.
I don't think it raises any legal issue, but I don't really know.
There're opensource wasapi implementaion for DirectShow on github, that work well, it "only" needs to be ported to Winamp. (Unfortunately I'm not a Win coder, so I can't help You with it.)

Quote:
... just use aimp3 ...
Wooow! Thank You so much for mentioning! How come that I never heard about this Winamp clone in the past and it's more then 10 years old!
It solved my only problem with Winamp that I have in the last 3 years (since I have this AVR and Win8.1):
- namely, putting out Quadrophone output (subwoofer is also used)
I use the latest aimp release for a week now, and I only found couple of lack-of-features with the Alarm plugin (ClockAmp for Winamp is more advanced) that I'll report to its devs.
Multiple playlist in the same playlist window (search capability in playlist), built-in cue list support, proper directsound/wasapi implementation (with exclusive mode) with channel duplication (!), skinning support, plugin based architecture, youtube/soundcloud support (with user plugins, if you want), sleep timer/alarm.
It just simply blew my mind that there's an amazing clone of the great Winamp!

At last: I still use Winamp with it : it wakes up properly the laptop every morning (until they'll implement the missing featues).

Winamp 5.581 (DirectSound out) + ClockAmp 2.6 + mp3cue 5.0
MSI GE60(i73630QM,16GB,IntelHD4000(v10.18.10.4358)+GeForceGT650m(2GB,v355.98)+muxless,1920x1080@60Hz,Plextor M5M 256GB SSD,Win8.1x64+MPC-HCx64+LAV+MadVR)+Yamaha RX-830+LG 55LD650(1080p@24/25/30/60Hz)
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion