Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets

Old 19th January 2018, 02:18   #1
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
It makes me happy to see this forum still active after 15 years

I haven't touched MD in years and I saw a version on the Play Store recently that still included all the old timers presets (including a few of mine) with it. I checked it out and got a huge rush of nostalgia and wanted to come check this place out. It makes me happy to see it still somewhat active.

I don't know what happened to Rovastar, Krash, Illusion, Zylot, Unchained and the rest but I sure miss them.

I hope you all have as much fun as I did all those years ago.

-idiot
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 19:48   #2
hakanh

I was also a Winamp (milkdrop) user even though I was also a little child. I remember you and I would liked to see all of you again now. I wish this could be possible.
hakanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 12:13   #3
xmuzack

Welcome back Ryan! One of my favorite preset authors. Yep, there are those of us (including newbies like me) who still enjoy Winamp and Milkdrop.

Got any new presets?
xmuzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 11:36   #4
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmuzack View Post
Welcome back Ryan! One of my favorite preset authors. Yep, there are those of us (including newbies like me) who still enjoy Winamp and Milkdrop.

Got any new presets?

Not currently, I haven't even touched Milkdrop in probably ten years or more. I might break it out for old times sake sometime, but don't expect anything amazing. Most of my presets were just me typing random shit until it looked cool, I had no idea what I was doing (I was only 13/15 years old).
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 08:40   #5
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flexi
Hey hey!

I didn't check here as often as I did only one year ago, but there were a bunch of news around Winamp and Milkdrop over the last couple of days. And I wanted to say that I'm also still lurking around.

Jordan Eldredge's Winamp-JS clone made headlines again, and there was this video popping up on my youtube timeline and I got unexpected help to compile projectM for the Rapsberry Pi platform: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA8s...aQF8cJwcIsBDEu

In 2016 I met another Jordan who made a Milkdrop2 WebGL clone. https://butterchurnviz.com/ even includes an in-browser translation stage from from DirectX shader code for the new-school presets. I hope the two will merge together at some point. At least both Jordans seem to live in the Bay area.

I for one just recently upgraded my latest shadertoy remake of the basic Milkdrop blurring pipeline with a soundcloud analyzer: https://twitter.com/Flexi23/status/960652245476966400

Regards!

Last edited by Flexi; 9th February 2018 at 11:19.
Flexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2018, 16:58   #6
Zylot
Major Dude

I know it's crazy ain't it?

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Zylot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2018, 19:16   #7
hakanh

Oww.. Also, Zylot is here right now! Welcome
hakanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 00:48   #8
Fumbling_Foo

Hi Zylot, your return brings new life back to the community !

Ah, the nostalgia of this thread brings about the same for me. I wasn't around in the community, but I came across milkdrop with the twisted pixel set for some media player I can't remember. I think that featured milkdrop presets, I can't remember the names of the authors or the presets back then though. Hours and hours spent viewing those presets anyway, only to lose twisted pixel to technology then back again years later with winamp milkdrop2 .

Great to see everyone here .

Like my avatar? Check out my Star Forge preset project .
Fumbling_Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 20:52   #9
Nitorami
Major Dude

Let's bring the band back together !
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 01:57   #10
Zylot
Major Dude

Chaos and catastrophe!

Shortly after posting this and responding to a few messages my account got locked down for some reason. Support just took care of matters, though!

Yeah who are we missing still? Rovastar, Eo.S and Phat, Krash, Rozzor, Unchained..

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Old 8th March 2018, 16:48   #11
Nitorami
Major Dude

redi jedi, cope, Stahlregen, Yathosho, fiShbRaiN, HexCollie.. just to name a few others I remember. I myself discovered milkdrop late, 2007, and unfortunately missed the early days. Guess it was a livelier place back in 2003, still, it looks like this community has always been rather small.
In the past years this place really felt lonely at times. Thank god it still attracts new members and even contributors occasionally. xmuzack, hakanh, fumbling_foo, evet... I'm really glad to see some activity still going on.
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 18:37   #12
Zylot
Major Dude

Yeah, we felt like pioneers figuring out everything that we could do with this amazing little plugin. It was more active, but there was still just a small community. Then I kinda disappeared and Milkdrop 2 hits the scene, opening a whole new world of opportunity with the pixel shaders.

Also: StudioMusic and Illusion are two others I can remember.

As for activity, I might be working on a little sumthin' sumthin'. Don't expect anything off the wall but it should be quality.

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Old 9th March 2018, 13:18   #13
ForestCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan View Post
Most of my presets were just me typing random shit until it looked cool, I had no idea what I was doing (I was only 13/15 years old).
I discovered Milkdrop circa 2002, IIR. Spent countless magical hours cycling through presets, rating, etc. You guy's names are forever burned into my memory. I was like 42 at the time, (yeah, I know, don't laugh) and you dudes were pretty much rock stars in my mind, lol. The one thing that was so great was that you all had such immediately identifiable styles. I was/am in awe of your work/contributions.

Just stumbled here in a google search checking on the state of the art w/ Milkdrop re: gpus, shaders, etc.

Finally starting to get back to what's important in my own life. :-)

Thrilled to see you guys are still around, and thinking fondly about Milkdrop. It remains, for me, a towering milestone in music visualization.

ForestCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2018, 10:13   #14
Telek

Thought I'd say hello too.
I'm not one of the big names, but I remember one of my favorite ones that was remixed a bit was Noughts and Crosses. :-)

I didn't last long when all the shades came in with MD2 either. I think by that stage I didn't have the time to invest in learning the new syntax/ exploring!

I 'll have to check the play store version - see if it still includes a visualisation.

Telek Sterling
Dilettante Extraordinaire
Telek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2018, 10:38   #15
Telek

I just grabbed the pro version of ProjectM on my Note.
That's nostalgia right there!
Krash, did you say you wrote it? Or 'just' ported it to Pi? Either way, excellent work!

To the dev: is it still being maintained? It gets a bit confused with Spotify music I think when I switch apps.

Telek Sterling
Dilettante Extraordinaire
Telek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 07:03   #16
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flexi
Just saying, here's a simplified Qt-embedding to get ProjectM running on the Raspberry Pi:
https://github.com/sirspudd/projectmofo
Flexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets