Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 13th September 2003, 05:12   #1
TheShadowRunner

Winamp2 suggestion (main component position)

Hey all,
1st post ever on this forum
Kudos for the best mP3 player ever!
Ok, so here's my request /suggestion :
I have a laptop and often use tv-out. But my laptop rez is 1024x768 whereas the tv is 800x600, so each time i switch to one or the other, Winamp isn't placed where it should and I have to reposition it manually (upper-right of the screen for me).
Would it be possible for the developers to implement an option in Winamp to have the main component "stick" in a given corner, independently from the screen resolution? Or if you have any other ideas to achieve that...
That'd be greatly appreciated. (by me at least )
See you!

TSR
TheShadowRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2003, 13:25   #2
indicavia

Send a message via ICQ to indicavia
I don't know about the feature, man, but I just wanted to welcome you to the board! Hope you'll enjoy your stay!
indicavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2003, 20:32   #3
TheShadowRunner

thanks man!
Regarding my suggestion, it would also be handy for people who change their resolution often (for whatever reason) even on one screen.
Later,

TSR
Old 13th September 2003, 23:28   #4
killswitch1968

here to

Mine does this too when alt-tabbing betweens games of conflicting resolution. Highly annoying,

They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards you hear satanic messages. That's nothing, if you play it forwards it installs Windows.
killswitch1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2003, 23:29   #5
Trillinon

Send a message via ICQ to Trillinon Send a message via AIM to Trillinon Send a message via Yahoo to Trillinon
Actually, I agree that this would be very nice, if it's possible. I like to turn down my resolution sometimes so that I can sit across the room and still read what's on the screen, and it would be wonderful if I could get winamp to stay at the bottom of my screen.
Trillinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2003, 19:43   #6
TheShadowRunner

So..hmm.. does a Winamp developer have any ideas / thoughts regarding this? ^_^
See you!

TSR
Old 18th September 2003, 16:00   #7
Budgie
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Budgie
I second that, whenever I play a game in full-screen in a different resolution than my desktop runs at (1024x768 usually), then alt-tab back to Windows, Winamp won't be docked to the taskbar pane as it's supposed to be, it rather floats up above a bit.

Maybe some confused window docking code there?

I just find it annoying, also happens when you minimize Winamp before switching to full-screen.

Please consider the Forum Rules before posting utter crap. Thank you!
Budgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2003, 15:07   #8
DrO

this should be possible as a gen plugin i would of thought.

from what i can remember the main winamp window should receive a message when the resolution changes so it should be possible to move the window's position to the same relative position compared to the old resolution.

may even give this a go over the weekend

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2003, 05:48   #9
saivert
Banned

Regarding positiong of Winamp's Main Window.
WM_DISPLAYCHANGE is sent by Windows (the OS) to all windows,
when the resolution changes. You could just make a Gen PLugin that has a hidded window of some sort, and track this message. Then we just have to call SetWindowPos(hwnd_to_winamp, ...

I'm working on this right now. If someone finsishes before me let me now: send e-mail to saivert@email.com
saivert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2003, 07:50   #10
Lord Darius

Saivert, I would suggest you to subclass winamp window instead of using a hidden one, but it's just me
Lord Darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2003, 12:21   #11
DrO

subclassing is the easier way to do it.

got a very basic setup working at the moment which will put the main winamp window into the top right corner of the screen if any of the display options change (eg size, bpp or refresh rate).

only spent an hour on it this morning and there are a few bits to work on still. at the moment it won't do anything with the other windows and the position isn't saved if the main winamp isn't moved at some point after the change is made.

it is not as simple as just doing a SetWindowPos(..) since the main window will force itself back to the original position after about a second i found (got to check i've altered all structure values for the WM_WINDOWPOSCHANGING message still) so it is necessary at the moment to force the position to be held.

attached dll shows it is possible though

-daz
Attached Files
File Type: zip gen_displaychange.zip (1.6 KB, 603 views)
Old 23rd September 2003, 15:36   #12
DrO

done some more work on the plugin so now it will keep the main window positon on closing and it is possible to turn it on/off and to set which corner to keep the main winamp window locked to.

it will also set the other windows (playlist, etc) back to their relative positions against the main window if they were docked otherwise they are just left in place.

the main issue is that you need to manually click on the window when the display settings change so it will release the capture (needed to get the docked windows to move to the correct positions).

the other i know of is that docked windows may not stay in the same docked position but not sure why on that at the moment.

will hopefully work out a way around this problem with placement (may even have to subclass more windows )

give it a go and let me know if you find any issues (other than the click issue). will work on a few other ways to get the other windows to play correctly / to remove the user need for a 'click on the window' to happen.

-daz

@saivert - how is your attempt at it going?
Attached Files
File Type: zip gen_displaychange2.zip (3.7 KB, 632 views)
Old 24th September 2003, 10:52   #13
Lord Darius

solution : send a fake "user clicked the window" message to winamp's main window
Old 24th September 2003, 11:33   #14
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Darius
solution : send a fake "user clicked the window" message to winamp's main window
that's what i've tried with the code but when you do the needed button down and then follow it with the subsequent button up message the playlist windows, etc will move back to their original positions.

if you just do the down button message (as it currently does) then the positions will update but the window will have the mouse capture

never got to play with things last night but have the idea of to make the main window 'active' and see if that may work since at the moment i'm not activating the main window which a real user click does (from checking the messages with spy++)

will crack this one (and bet it is something silly as it always is )

-daz
Old 1st October 2003, 14:13   #15
DrO

finally got the plugin to work correctly so that now it will hold the winamp window to the specified corner of the screen when the screen size settings are changed.

Quote:
and bet it is something silly as it always is )
oh so true - needed a delay to allow the simulated button messages to take effect, doh!

may not hold the docking correctly when on the bottom of the screen at the moment when other winamp windows are open and their positions may slightly move out of synch occassionally (still looking at it).

otherwise it works - use as you please (feed back always welcome)

-daz
Attached Files
File Type: zip displaychange_v0_3a.zip (4.2 KB, 3219 views)
Old 9th November 2003, 00:51   #16
saivert
Banned

I have abandoned the project. Think it must be implemented by Nullsoft, since it's so complex. You can edit winamp.ini and change
the keys "wx" and "wy", then make a restart of Winamp.

change this in winamp.ini
[Winamp]
wx=703
wy=36
Old 10th November 2003, 08:14   #17
DrO

don't need to do the bit with the ini file since i got the 'fake' working correctly. as for the other windows not working correctly i know how to fix that issue (just hide and show the windows that are open) - may get around to fix this again soon i think.

-daz
Old 19th November 2003, 03:43   #18
saivert
Banned

Oki dokey!
Old 19th November 2003, 10:06   #19
DrO

blow, forgot i was going to work on this again

now if only i could clone myself like Agent Smith (well it's better than being Dolly the Sheep ) then i could program everything i need to and still be able to sleep... muwhaaa
(evil laugh from a not evil person )

-daz
Old 19th November 2003, 13:45   #20
Dipso

DrO you are involving yourself in way to many projects...

Phear the headbanging llama!!!

http://dipso.deviantart.com <- Art, Graphics, Photography.
Dipso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2003, 16:59   #21
saivert
Banned

Yeah! I agree. You have to calm down DrO. Or else you will hit the "invisible" wall that lurks around each corner in our everyday lifes.
Old 19th November 2003, 17:01   #22
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by Dipso
DrO you are involving yourself in way to many projects...
i need some of the code from this plugin in the playlist plugin so it makes sense to work on it.

-daz
Old 19th November 2003, 20:12   #23
Dipso

Ok, sorry, you are a genious.

Phear the headbanging llama!!!

http://dipso.deviantart.com <- Art, Graphics, Photography.
Dipso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2003, 08:08   #24
DrO

don't worry about it even to me it seems like i'm doing too much occasionally but a lot of the things are related to each other so i take bits from other plugins to improve/add to the others.

-daz
Old 9th December 2003, 09:15   #25
D&B
Banned

Jesus, Dr. O, another awesome plug-in. You need a website or something with all your winamp wares cause if it werent for DJ Egg I would have never found this.

Thanks again! Cant wait for more from you, esp. Extended Playlist!
D&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2003, 09:36   #26
Lord Darius

hey DrO, what about doing a super duper all-in-one plugin with all of your ideas ?

the... Jump to file extra autoplay timestore extended playlist and file remover one click show hide display changer plugin, aka gen_jtfeatepafrocshdc.dll

it's just because if it goes on like that, my plugins list will become too long
Old 9th December 2003, 17:06   #27
D&B
Banned

Nah, I think its much better like this. Ultra-targeted plugins of wonderful functionality.
D&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2003, 19:38   #28
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by badrad
Jesus, Dr. O, another awesome plug-in. You need a website or something with all your winamp wares cause if it werent for DJ Egg I would have never found this.

Thanks again! Cant wait for more from you, esp. Extended Playlist!
this one still needs a lot more loving since it doesn't like Winamp 5 at the moment (well not at least from my tests). a little website should be up in a few weeks (working on the idea at the moment).

@Lord Darius: you forgot the close after current one - cac
i have seriously considered it and may do something for a few of them such as a gen_dro.dll

i personally prefer the Ultra-targeted plugins of wonderful functionality method since that way people have better control over what they can have installed. more likely once the site is up i'll do a plugin pack (i know of at least one forumer who has mentioned about it).

-daz
Old 22nd January 2004, 22:57   #29
DrO

Quote:
this one still needs a lot more loving since it doesn't like Winamp 5 at the moment
and finally it is getting it! (is a follow up from this thread)

i will upload a new test version of the plugin soon and i'm looking for gullable, er sorry helpful people to help test the plugin to make it stable (i hope!)

the current build i've got is now detecting Modern Skins correctly i hope i have broken a few things but i mainly need to know for the moment if the new modern skin handling is working correctly or not.

-daz
Old 13th November 2007, 19:58   #30
Alcahest

bump
Alcahest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 21:13   #31
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Make a copy of winamp.ini as eg. winamp2.ini

Create a 2nd shortcut for the TV-Out instance of Winamp, using a command line such as:

"C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe" /CONFIG="winamp2.ini"

Then both instances of Winamp will use/save their own respective settings.

Note, that will only work for classic skins (though the title of the thread does relate to Winamp 2.x, heh).

Modern skins save settings to studio.xnf, not winamp.ini.

So the only way to make it work for modern skins is to use the /INIDIR="" switch, but that will make said instance of Winamp use completely separate settings/database.

More info:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....87#post1951487
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....63#post1953663
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 21:52   #32
Alcahest

Hi Dj,
Nice workaround but uneeded really.
DrO's plugin still works fine on winamp 5.50 and using Classic skin.
The only problem is that it breaks unicode (scrolling japanese title in taskbar shows ???? when DrO's plugin is used.)
I just pmed him about it.
Do you know if he is still active these days?
See you,

Alcahest
Old 13th November 2007, 23:18   #33
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Oh sorry... I only read the first post, and saw that it was some ancient thread revived from 4 years ago, lol.

Yeah, DrO is still active.

He's very busy these days, what with doing all the localization/wlz stuff for Winamp 5.5, along with a heap of other things, plus jtfe, and RealLife tm.

But yeah, the gen_displaychange plugin will need updating to support unicode...

The title of this thread probably also needs updating ;-)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 20:28   #34
DrO

well as active as minimal time allows me to be, heh

i had forgotten about this plugin and especially didn't even know that it was still working under any of the newer versions of winamp (especially as it's not been updated in 3+ years)

i'll see if i've still got the source code and will update it when i can (assuming the code still exists) to fix the ??? issue (is a quick fix to do)

-daz
Old 14th November 2007, 20:30   #35
Alcahest

Thanks a lot DrO,
yeah it is still used and ideal when you switch often from laptop screen to HDTV!
I was surprised to see it still works great even with winamp 5.50. I haven't tested the new skins, but with Classic skins, no problem except for the unicode issue.
See you

Alcahest
Old 14th November 2007, 20:36   #36
Alcahest

I just thought of another plugin that would really be handy.. but totally unrelated.

There should be a way to force Winamp to open the "Open File" dialog in the folder containing the current played track.

It is actually not the case.
Let's say i have 2 folders containing MP3s, A & B.
When i use the open file and select a track from folder A, next time i will use the open file dialog, i'll be in folder A. All good so far.
But when i execute a mp3 from folder B (by double clicking on it in Explorer, or rightclicking mp3 file and enqueue), next time I will use open file dialog, i'll still be in folder A and not B like i think it should (or at least that would be damn handy and more logic). Is it a possible thing to do?
See you!

Alcahest
Old 14th November 2007, 21:56   #37
DrO

Displaychange v0.4
This should resolve the ??? taskbar issue (just leaves me with at least 10+ other plugins to fix in that area after all of the ones i did here and here.

As for the second request, it might be possible but would involve hacking of the open file dialogs and it's not something i really have the time to say i'd even be able to look at to see if it would be practical/able to be done though overriding certain aspects of winamp like that can cause more issues than it's worth

-daz
Old 14th November 2007, 22:31   #38
Alcahest

Unicode fixed! ^^
Awesome, everything works perfect now, really this plugin should be bundled with WinAmp or built-in or something. ^_^

As for the second request, i understand it would require some hack which might break other things so might as well avoid touching this altogether, not a problem.

Thanks a lot for the update DrO, a very fast one too!
See you,

Alcahest

Edit: Ouch no!
The position of the playlist window is broken in this new build. Main WinAmp windows goes to the corner alright upon resolution change, but not the playlist window!! (nor the equalizer window)
Old 14th November 2007, 22:40   #39
DrO

none of the builds i had (even the existing one) were moving the other windows so i thought that was correct (isn't a plugin i've even had personally installed since a few months after the last update). i'll see if i can find some time over the weekend to see what's broken

-daz
Old 14th November 2007, 22:41   #40
Alcahest

I can confirm build v0_3a works OK in that regard.
See you,

Alcahest
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion