Old 17th October 2003, 14:27   #1
djtaylor

A few suggestions for Winamp 5 beta 1

A few suggestions for Winamp 5 beta 1:

1. Can we have multiple playlists back from Winamp 3? Shown in separate column on right of playlist, instead of in media library.

2. Ctrl-B to jump to end of playlist (since Ctrl-Z jumps to start).

3. Option to change the 'step' of the '10 tracks back/fwd' feature. I would find this more useful at 5.

4. An extension on the 'stop after current' feature: some kind of marker in the playlist so that playback will stop when this marker is reached. Useful for if you only want to play a few tracks instead of the remainder of the playlist.

5. Skin support for dialogs (preferences, about, open file, jump to file, id3 tag editor, plugin config, avs editor, etc.) and menus, as in Winamp 3.

6. Add a Windows XP manifest to Winamp!!

7. It would be better if Winamp Agent used the same icon (in the systray) as set in Prefs -> General Prefs. Also, don't show icon in system tray if 'show Winamp in system tray' and 'enable Winamp Agent' are selected, so you just get 1 icon instead of 2!
Old 21st October 2003, 16:48   #2
djtaylor

8. Scrap the winamp.ini and studio.xnf files, and store all settings in the registry under HKCU\Software\Winamp. Then each user can have their own settings (since it's HKCU).

9. Include 24 and 32-bit MPEG decoding, instead of just 8 and 16-bit, for better quality.
Old 21st October 2003, 17:16   #3
BongFish

I like having settings in an .ini file, I can back up settings I like and restore them after a format or to a new computer or whatever.

Maybe each user have his/her own .ini file in 'My Documents' or something.
Old 21st October 2003, 17:33   #4
djtaylor

You can back up registry entries too. Right-click on the key you want in Registry Editor and select 'export'. When you want to restore the settings you backed up, just double-click on the reg file it saved.

PLEASE don't save the ini file in My Documents! I have enough programs (games, etc.) that save shit in there without me asking them to! It's for what it says - DOCUMENTS, not fucking settings.
Old 21st October 2003, 17:53   #5
sanosuke
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by djtaylor
You can back up registry entries too. Right-click on the key you want in Registry Editor and select 'export'. When you want to restore the settings you backed up, just double-click on the reg file it saved.
its not easy to navigate into the register then pick out the key in which you wish to backup. In fact i don't think the average person knows how to start up the registry editor, well not me of course.

I rather they keep in a folder but not in mydocuments, maybe some other folder.

Anyway 1 is not possiable and 6 has been asked as many times as the J key in winamp3.

Big-assed signature deleted by errr.. whats his name again??
Old 21st October 2003, 18:01   #6
djtaylor

Quote:
Originally posted by sanosuke
its not easy to navigate into the register then pick out the key in which you wish to backup.
It's the same view as in Windows Explorer (with the folders bar on the left)! How much easier could it be?

To open Registry Editor: start -> run -> enter 'regedit' (without the quotes) and click on ok.

I prefer all my settings in the registry, as I'm sure many other users do. However, if you must have them in an INI file, then it should be in %UserProfile%\Application Data\Winamp.
Old 21st October 2003, 18:10   #7
djtaylor

Quote:
1 is not possiable and 6 has been asked as many times as the J key in winamp3.
Quote:
1. Can we have multiple playlists back from Winamp 3? Shown in separate column on right of playlist, instead of in media library.
So why isn't it possible? It was possible in Winamp 3, why not in Winamp 5? (And I know they're not the same thing, before anyone bothers to point this out to me.)
Old 21st October 2003, 18:23   #8
InvertedParadox

In the playlist there's a menu which lets you load a playlist stored in the library, if this menu was easier to access, maybe when you right click on the main menu or something, it would make it much easier for people like me who have multiple playlists and like to switch back and forth a lot. I used to have keyboard shortcuts in WA3 to switch between them. . . .
Old 21st October 2003, 22:05   #9
Dipso

Yea, don't change it back completetly or make it an option if you do so. (side car playlist) I loved the sidecar aswhell but i like the new system even more since now playlists don't get overwritten like they did all the time in wa3.

The "preinstalled" playlists are very accessible when the playlist is in shade mode, just press the big round button, maby implement the same button on maximized playlist? though, its not THAT hard to go to the file menu or the manage playlists menu.
Old 22nd October 2003, 03:43   #10
sanosuke
Major Dude

"sigh"

winamp5 is build from the winamp2 line and not winamp3, therefore the sidecar was never in winamp2 to begin with.

to place the side car would make thousands of winamp2 skins incompatiable.

Old 22nd October 2003, 03:48   #11
sanosuke
Major Dude

Quote:
I prefer all my settings in the registry, as I'm sure many other users do. However, if you must have them in an INI file, then it should be in %UserProfile%\Application Data\Winamp.
what you just stated is your opinion and not what most people think.

What happend if someone accedently deleted some key from the system when backing up that one winamp key?

Old 22nd October 2003, 04:02   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Remember, Winamp (0.x, 1.x, 2.x, 5.x) and Winamp3 are two different products, built on different engines. If people would've been more patient and wouldn't have moaned when Winamp3 v1.0 was (force) released (by aol ahead of schedule), then maybe there'd never have been a Winamp 2.9x or Winamp 5.0 - we'd probably be on Winamp3 v1.2 or something by now.

Winamp 5.0 is the upgrade from Winamp 2.9x, not from Winamp3.
Winamp 5.0 will install over Winamp 2.x in the same dir.
If Winamp3 is installed, it will still be there, and will still function as a separate product/player.

ie. if you try to install Winamp 5.0 in the same dir as Winamp3, then crazy things will happen... hmmmm . . . me ponders on that one...

All of 2.x's features are already there in the core.
Nullsoft are attempting to implement features from Winamp3 . . . some of these are hacks and workarounds, but some features like playlist sidecar and enqueue/dequeue in the playlist window are the two most difficult features to implement into the Winamp structure (because they were designed for Winamp3, not Winamp).

There's plenty of discussions already in the forums relating to these (and other) missing Winamp3 features, eg. here. They are listed in the sticky official wishlist thread at the top of this forum, and the devs are fully aware of them. If and when they can be implemented, they will be.
Old 22nd October 2003, 04:48   #13
Rellik
Major Dude

Quote:
It's the same view as in Windows Explorer (with the folders bar on the left)! How much easier could it be?

To open Registry Editor: start -> run -> enter 'regedit' (without the quotes) and click on ok.

Saving the INI in the profiles area would be the best bet IMHO. In fact, take it a step further and store skins and/or plugins there too, configurable of course to install for all users or just the user. Then all you would have to do is back up the document and settings(2k/xp) or windows/profiles (9x)folder

But if saving and restoring settings is important, then I think a import/export function in the preferences that could backup skins/plugins/preferences would be helpful, just like you can do in Outlook
Old 22nd October 2003, 11:42   #14
crazee

Or to save a load of pain in the ass, why not use INI's most useful features?

[username]
settingshere

[username2]
settingshere

Backup would be a load easier than picking through windows' most assy folders, and it's a single file instead of multiple. All it'd need that way is to get the logged in username, compare it with the settings in the INI, and load either the default or custom.

Backing up the winamp folder is loads easier than backing up the winamp folder + wherever the hell application data puts itself.

IMHO the registry is the most useless feature of windows. Microsoft should've left the registry for the operating system only. All it's done for me is allow ASPROTECT to hide crappy keys all over the place to cripple all the neat trial games I play.
Old 23rd October 2003, 08:12   #15
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Or just use the profiler plugin

Winamp Profiler plugin v0.8 | Latest version v0.81

Disclaimer:
Fully functional under winamp 2.9x, hopefully still works with 5.x
(if not then X-Fixer will update it when 5.0 goes final, and pronto, 'cos he's that kinda dude)

Actually, thinkin' about it, it'll probably only work with/for classic skins, 'cos it won't currently even recognize studio.xnf (where all modern skins settings are saved). Doh!
Old 23rd October 2003, 10:47   #16
djtaylor

Quote:
Originally posted by crazee
Or to save a load of pain in the ass, why not use INI's most useful features?

[username]
settingshere

[username2]
settingshere
That's not the way to do it. On a network (with roaming profiles), the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry hive and %userprofile% folder (which contains things like application data, my documents, favourites, and files you placed on the desktop) are transferred to the workstation that you log on at. This means that no matter where you log on, you will still have your settings.

If it was done your way, every user would have to configure Winamp on every PC they log on at. Plus, no one user can back up/restore his/her own settings; it's either the lot or nothing (unless he/she edits the INI file).

Quote:
Originally posted by Rellik
Saving the INI in the profiles area would be the best bet IMHO. In fact, take it a step further and store skins and/or plugins there too, configurable of course to install for all users or just the user. Then all you would have to do is back up the document and settings(2k/xp) or windows/profiles(9x) folder

But if saving and restoring settings is important, then I think a import/export function in the preferences that could backup skins/plugins/preferences would be helpful, just like you can do in Outlook
That's a very good idea. I still favour storing settings in the registry over an INI file though (and yes, this is just my opinion, before anyone else points that out). Settings should go in the registry; files such as skins and plugins should go in application data.

Last edited by djtaylor; 23rd October 2003 at 11:02.
Old 23rd October 2003, 14:44   #17
Dipso

Quote:
"sigh"

winamp5 is build from the winamp2 line and not winamp3, therefore the sidecar was never in winamp2 to begin with.

to place the side car would make thousands of winamp2 skins incompatiable.
Good going, asuming i am ignorant and don't know thiese facts.

You could easily have the sidecar in mordern skins display the ML playlists, along with having them within the ML for classic comp.
That way you make it available for evryone, have the sidecar that people love AND avoid breaking compatibility.

Only drawback would be that users who want to have the sidecar would _have_ to use modern skins.

Thinkining beyond "ah, yet another missiformed noob" could help realize that there might be a sulution to the problem
Old 15th February 2004, 04:21   #18
Darekun

Another Use For Multiple "Users"

Back when I was using Winamp 2 and Winamp3 in parallel, it was nice that I could configure 2 as a "validate and ID incoming MP3s" and configure 3 as a background media player. I started doing this due to bugs in 3's ID3 tag editor, but they diverged in settings like random, what to do with an untagged file, buffer sizes, as well as using a utilitarian skin on 2 and a pretty skin on 3.

Now, with Winamp 5 able to fill both roles, I find myself starting two copies and configuring one copy for each role every time I boot.

I did try copying the .INI to a new dir and running a second copy from there, but the path is stored in the registry for a reason.

So if multiple-users capability were added, I'd like the ability to relog just Winamp O:)

Currently I'm thinking I might write something to keep its own list of Winamp.inis, and swap them in as it spawns two processes, then scoop the .ini back up when each process ends... but that would violate the invariant regarding laziness ,)
Old 15th February 2004, 20:12   #19
amano
Major Dude

HELLO!

The thread, that you resurrected is from Oct of last year. This is 2004 and Winamp 5.02 is already out.

Someone lock this thread.

eeeee eeeeeee eeeee eeeee eeeee
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
8eee8 8e 8 8 8eee8 8e 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8eee8

Last edited by amano; 15th February 2004 at 22:03.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist