Old 11th December 2003, 20:50   #1
djmastermind
Forum King

Keyboard

I believe that there's a sticky post somewhere about this, but I was unable to locate it. How would I assign certain keyboard buttons to do certain functions in WinAmp? Example.. I have play/pause, stop, and track >>| |<< buttongs on my keyboard.

I am using the lastest version of WinAmp 5.

Thanks.

-- Michael
Old 11th December 2003, 21:00   #2
spleef420

Send a message via AIM to spleef420 Send a message via Yahoo to spleef420
depending on the model of keyboard, you can use the Global Hotkeys function to set the mediakeys to work in WA5.

options>preferences>global hotkeys...it's at the bottom of the prefs window, just select the action you want, click the Hotkeys box, pres the key(s) you want to perform said task and click add.

this worked on a Dell Enhanced and Compaq Presario (old) Multimedia keyboard...may not work for MS Mutimedia or Logitech.
Old 11th December 2003, 21:00   #3
Sawg

Most keyboards support Winamp 2.X. (See if it works when using classic skins).

Try RM-X
http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=126050

To my knowledge MS keyboards do with With Winamp 5.0
Also, Logitech keyboards work if you have iTouch 2.15.264. If you have a Logitech and it still doesn't work try this.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?postid=1196216#post1196216

And if that doesn't work there is all this shit.

And while I am at it, if your keyboard is cool you may need no extra plug-ins:
Preferences > Global Hotkeys
Set a new hotkey, select the Hotkey box and press the corresponding button on your keyboard (SOME keyboards have unique codes for the multimedia buttons, some do not).

[Addition]
Quote:
Originally posted by VikingCoder
So, I wrote my own programs to control Winamp's state - they should work for just about any version of Winamp, I think. I hooked each one of the programs up to the respective buttons in Control Panel | Keyboard. I use Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro, and Winamp 5 Final.

I just called SendMessage, as documented here:

http://www.winamp.com/nsdn/winamp2x/dev/sdk/api.jhtml
http://www.winamp.com/nsdn/winamp2x/dev/sdk/api.jhtml

Use these programs at your own risk. I make no warranty, express or implied, about their fitness for any task.
Attachment url:
http://forums.winamp.com/attachment.php?postid=1203075

Attachment: winampcontrollers.zip

Old 11th December 2003, 21:07   #4
djmastermind
Forum King

Thanks, you all.

-- Michael
Old 11th December 2003, 21:28   #5
drGonzo

The global hotkeys in Winamp5 RC666 are working perfectly with my Logitech Internet Navigator kb media keys without the logitech drivers installed.
Old 11th December 2003, 21:52   #6
djmastermind
Forum King

All is working well for me without drivers with my Logitech as well.

-- Michael
Old 12th December 2003, 01:12   #7
Dipso

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
Most keyboards support Winamp 2.X. (See if it works when using classic skins).

To my knowledge MS keyboards do with With Winamp 5.0
Also, Logitech keyboards work if you have iTouch 2.15.264. If you have a Logitech and it still doesn't work try this.

It doesn't work with my Microsoft Internet Keyboard (latest intellitype) I't did however work with the earlyer betas. Works fine with RM-X though

Phear the headbanging llama!!!

http://dipso.deviantart.com <- Art, Graphics, Photography.
Old 12th December 2003, 11:52   #8
F|00pyD!sk

Try D/L HotKeys from here: http://linas.info/
There are a special version for Winamp5.

Works perfect for me.

Keybord: MS Natural Multimedia Keybord
Winamp: Winamp 5.0 RC666
Old 12th December 2003, 14:21   #9
iron2000

The global hotkeys works well but when I have BSplayer on while having Winamp on the Play/Pause button only works for Winamp. When I have WMP on with Winamp, Play/Pause only works for WMP.

Thanx
Old 12th December 2003, 15:31   #10
drGonzo

Just to clarify, my media keys didn't work until I assigned them in the global hotkey properties.
Old 12th December 2003, 16:18   #11
eli2k

Laptops have that Fn (Function, I assume) key. Like a Sony Vaio has the Fn key, and someting like Fn + F3 mutes the sound, etc. Is there a way to make use the the Fn key with some sort of software to control Winamp?
Old 12th December 2003, 20:29   #12
Sawg

Fn is somthing taken care of at the BIOS level. Windows doesn't know the key wass pressed, or even exists for that matter. (I belive)

Old 13th December 2003, 06:13   #13
iron2000

Quote:
Originally posted by drGonzo
Just to clarify, my media keys didn't work until I assigned them in the global hotkey properties.
Same for me, never knew that there is any auto-detect.

Thanx
Old 13th December 2003, 09:18   #14
ILUsion

ahm, the Fn isn't always taken care of at BIOS level; my recent Medion notebook needs a program to control these keys to adjust the volume [it adjusts the Windows volume, not the soundcard volume ], but it doesn't handle some more advanced features like:
- adjusting the brightness
- the screen lock [to just blank out the screen, and unblank it when I press another key]

So I guess there must be a way to make a plugin for this, but it won't be easy ...
Old 18th December 2003, 01:02   #15
SourWorm

I have a Dell keyboard and the multimedia keys work, except the play/pause button is just play. It doesn't pause the song it just restarts it.
Oh, and I cant seem to set them in global hotkeys.
Old 18th December 2003, 03:21   #16
Trillinon

Send a message via ICQ to Trillinon Send a message via AIM to Trillinon Send a message via Yahoo to Trillinon
I have the Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard with the latest iTouch drivers installed (on windows XP Pro), but still to no effect. I've tried everything that Sawg mentioned in the prior post, but none of it works. I can't even get them to work in classic skin mode, which leads me to think that it may be my computer.

What I find strange is that they used to work (with RC 8 and 666), without any fixes, just like was mentioned. But I had to reformat since then, and I've never gotten them to work again. My thought is that maybe it was because I installed over winamp 2.91 the first time, and this time it was a fresh install of 5.

As it is, I can use the default Global Hotkeys instead of my media keys, so it's only an irritaion, with little loss of functionality. I just figured it my be worthwhile to mention it.
Old 23rd December 2003, 12:44   #17
TobyG

Quote:
Originally posted by Trillinon
I have the Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard with the latest iTouch drivers installed (on windows XP Pro), but still to no effect. I've tried everything that Sawg mentioned in the prior post, but none of it works. I can't even get them to work in classic skin mode, which leads me to think that it may be my computer.
Do you happen to have an nVidia video card with the nView Desktop Manager activated? I've found that having it enabled causes some funky and erratic behavior with Winamp hotkeys (since it has hotkeys of its own).
Old 23rd December 2003, 17:05   #18
Trillinon

Send a message via ICQ to Trillinon Send a message via AIM to Trillinon Send a message via Yahoo to Trillinon
Actually, I do. I never even thought about that. I'll have to mess with it and find out if that's the culprit.
Old 23rd December 2003, 17:30   #19
Trillinon

Ok, that did have something to do with it. I disabled n-view, and nothing happened. I restarted. They still didn't work. I reinstalled my keyboard drivers and restarted. They still didn't work. I reinstalled winamp 5 and restarted and they still didn't work. But then I looked, and n-view had reinabled itself, so I turned if off, and viola! It worked. Oddly enough, I turned n-view back on and the buttons still work. Go figure.

Now, if I try to configure n-view they stop working again, but if I disable and reinable the keyboard keys work just fine.

Well, at least we know what's causing it.
Old 15th January 2004, 16:10   #20
Saliman

Send a message via ICQ to Saliman
Quote:
Originally posted by drGonzo
can you explain exactly what did you do?
in the global hotkeys, when i press the play button for example, it doesn't do anything... it is not catching the name of the button or its function.

using ms multimedia keyboard
Old 16th January 2004, 19:51   #21
painkillah

i have ez-8000 multimedia keyboard , and it is connected through the old keyboard port. but the media buttons work in windows media player. how to get em to work in winamp?
Old 16th January 2004, 20:05   #22
Dipso

Quote:
Originally posted by painkillah
i have ez-8000 multimedia keyboard , and it is connected through the old keyboard port. but the media buttons work in windows media player. how to get em to work in winamp?
I had an ez keyboard. i found i had to delete some strings in the registry in order to get it to function with other apps.

Basicly the drivers for the ez keyboard specifies more actions than the default windows message when you press the buttons. But when you delete those values the media keys do the default actions, and sends the messages that winamp can pick up.

Just search in the registry for the folder related to the keyboard driver and delete the keys for play, pause, prev or next.

Another option is to try and install a driver for some other multimedia keyboard, but this method might make some of the buttons useless.

Old 16th January 2004, 20:12   #23
painkillah

i dont know what must i delete? can u help me out a little. im new to regediting
Old 16th January 2004, 20:13   #24
painkillah

also i am using netropas Netropa hot key program in tray and netropas OSD
Old 16th January 2004, 20:19   #25
painkillah

i found something
HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Keyboard Layout
Toggle
and then there are 3 things
Hotkey REG_SZ 3
Language Hotkey REG_SZ 3
Layout hotkey REG_SZ 3
Old 16th January 2004, 20:43   #26
painkillah

god hail http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=85103
thanks to that plugin all works. anyways thaks to Dipso for waisting his time on me
Old 17th January 2004, 02:05   #27
Dipso

Glad you found a way to make it work.

And as i told you in the mail, i didn't have the drivers or anything, so i just tried to remeber how i did it, so i didn't realy wast any time.

Old 20th January 2004, 18:13   #28
Twigathy

Just a thank you:

Hotkeys are working brilliantly with my new Creative wireless desktop 6000...thanks loads!

Ref
Old 2nd February 2004, 07:48   #29
gerrod

I've been having lots of problems with Multimedia keys - here's my setup:

* WinXP Pro (SP1)
* MS Natural Multimedia Keyboard
* IntelliType Pro 5.0
* Winamp Pro 5.01

I tried lots of plug-ins to get my media keys to work but nothing did. I didn't want to go down the RM-X route or anything else that was basically "software to avoid bugs". But after enough tinkering, here's a method that worked for me:

* Install Winamp
* Install IntelliType drivers
* Set Winamp to be the app that gets opened by the Media key (in the IntelliType config)
* Uninstall Winamp
* Re-install Winamp

All my media keys are now working without any problems, and in all situations (minimised, active window, etc). I'm not sure if all of those steps are necessary but I think the key step was that Winamp had to be installed AFTER the IntelliType drivers.

Hope that helps!
Old 3rd February 2004, 18:31   #30
Kieran Walker

You know, I've had a circa 2000 Gateway multimedia keyboard for three years now... I've never been able to get the player control buttons to work until Winamp 5 came out. The nice thing is I didn't have to install any extra plugins or drivers--the global hotkeys plugin actually detects them in the configuration menu.

They never did work with Winamp 2, so I'm very happy with this current development. It's nice not having to stop what I'm doing to select Winamp whenever I want to change songs. Kudos, Nullsoft.
Old 26th August 2004, 13:14   #31
neonfrog

CD play is the key for MS multimedia kb

I stumbled across this thread when trying to solve my Play/Pause and "Media" key issues as well. I wanted Winamp to happen when I used those keys.

I had problems getting Microsoft Multimedia keyboards (natural and un-natural) to spawn Winamp when using the Media or Play/Pause keys. I played around with some settings and discovered this (in Windows 2000 SP4, IntelliType 5.x):

* Leave the keyboard setings for those keys as default.

* In all other media players (WMP, Real, etc.), set them to NOT play audio CDs.

* Set Winamp to play audio CDs, expressly with the checkbox for "Launch Winamp for audio CDs" in Preferences | General | File Types.

That's it! Now ALL the media keys work exactly as I'd like them to. I also verified that the "Set Program Access and Defaults" Windows tool was set to use the default media player.

So it seems that somewhere in the registry maybe is a setting about default media player and that is keyed to CD playing. I almost never play CDs as I've ripped them all to MP3, but when I press Play or "Media" on the keyboard Winamp loads my last MP3 playlist and is keyed to beginning of the last song I was playing!

Finally, bliss.

Perhaps a registry genius could tell us how to do this and leave CD playing to another app as some may like...
Old 2nd November 2004, 21:33   #32
Lecteur

My keyboard have only one value for all multimedia keys, thus when I press it in preferences, one same string appears for all MM keys. Any suggestions?
Old 2nd November 2004, 21:36   #33
siebe83
Forum King

Please don't crosspost:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....69#post1508869

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
Old 2nd November 2004, 23:23   #34
JonnyMac

As siebe83 said, please do not cross-post (Forum Rules). Also, please do not revive old threads as it is greatly frowned upon. The last post (prior to yours) was over two months ago. Posting dates can be found under the forum name next to the profile button. Discussion will continue in siebe83's link.

*whacked*

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion