Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion

Closed Thread
Old 12th December 2003, 15:26   #41
drGonzo

Quote:
Progressbar when scanning and adding and removing files - So you won't think that winamp has freezed the computer rather then adding to the DB..
I have a progress bar showing while moving tunes to my ipod using all Winamp 5 versions. See pic...

One option I would really like to see is a *send to ipod* option in the context menu.

/5gb macipod converted to winipod, firmware 1.3/latest ipod plug & tree fix posted by DJEgg/Winamp 5 RC666/XP Pro SP1a/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ipodprogress.jpg (84.4 KB, 827 views)
Old 12th December 2003, 22:49   #42
Drooling Dog

Could somebody give me a basic overview of how this plugin works? I have a 30 GB Win iPod and I use Xplay. It might be nice to add straight from WinAmp. Especially if it does playlists (sounds like it doesn't). Also, do you add manually, or does it add everything every time? My music library is far bigger than my iPod's capacity.

Thanks.
Old 12th December 2003, 22:57   #43
barto

btw it also works with 5.0rc8 and 5.0rc666
Old 12th December 2003, 23:02   #44
hellRaven

Quote:
Originally posted by Drooling Dog
Also, do you add manually
Yes. Drag and drop. It doesn't work with playlists (at least with WA5rc666, which I love since I've installed it 10 hrs ago ;-) ).

Old 12th December 2003, 23:33   #45
bgesley
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to bgesley
I'm not sure if anyone has seen this but...

http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/

enjoy.

Old 13th December 2003, 00:41   #46
hellRaven

Quote:
Originally posted by bgesley
I'm not sure if anyone has seen this but...

http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/

enjoy.
I own my iPod for 17 months now and I have no problems.

Old 13th December 2003, 00:44   #47
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

1 month to go then, lol

btw, not that I've got an iPod or anything, but I'm sure I read somewhere else that this 18-month battery issue was bs or something?
/me goes to search for link (hopefully someone else will post it first, hehe)
Old 13th December 2003, 00:54   #48
hellRaven

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
I'm sure I read somewhere else that this 18-month battery issue was bs or something?
All rechargeable batteries lose capacity and are nearly useless after 3+ years (also if you don't use them).
And Apple has reduced the price for a battery replacement.

I think this video is made by someone who wanted to become some kind of a star

Old 13th December 2003, 01:08   #49
bgesley
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to bgesley
yeah after that they did change things. If you have a warranty through whoever you bought it from (compUSA, Best Buy, GOod Guys..etc) then you can get a new battery for like $100. Still bogus tho.

Old 13th December 2003, 13:23   #50
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by bgesley
yeah after that they did change things. If you have a warranty through whoever you bought it from (compUSA, Best Buy, GOod Guys..etc) then you can get a new battery for like $100. Still bogus tho.
Apple changed the battery plan on the same day the dirty secret video was made public. It wasn't a response to the sensationalistic vandalism of the Neistat brothers, but a response to valid consumer complaints.

www.ipodlounge.com has several articles about this topic, including a recent one where a BusinessWeek writer "applauds" the Neitat Brothers. Funny that a responsible magazine like BW should be applauding vandalism, but I guess that's the times we live in.

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Old 13th December 2003, 16:15   #51
Drooling Dog

$49.00 from http://www.ipodbattery.com
Old 14th December 2003, 12:15   #52
ReDFiRe

Send a message via ICQ to ReDFiRe Send a message via Yahoo to ReDFiRe
works great for me, tho, I would love to be able to right click.. send to ipod... the drag and drop seems pointless to me... tho being able to edit the id3 tags is great...
Old 14th December 2003, 12:17   #53
ReDFiRe

just a note, I have 4 year psp on my ipod from futureshop... meaning.. if anything goes wrong within the 4 years, it's over the counter exchange of a brand new one.. so I kinda hope the battery dies.. cuz I get a brand new one :P and if they happen to not have the 20 gig in. I get the next one up
Old 17th December 2003, 09:39   #54
roele

What is the iPod Tree for? The folder tree is already on my iPod and i won't to delete my current iTunes DB.

How does the syncing exactly works? Is the user able to select the synchronizable files like in iTunes?
Old 18th December 2003, 02:54   #55
liquidmotion
Smokes Two Joints
Beta Team

Send a message via ICQ to liquidmotion
Re: Fixed version of iPod Plugin

Quote:
Originally posted by barto
as the ipod plugin posted above by DJ egg also just hang my winamp, I went and fixed it yesterday. Technically, I backported the get_pl() function of GTKpod into the ml_ipod plugin. I updated the dll and ipoddb.cpp and packed it back together.
Enjoy
all j00 n33d t0 d0 1s, make a new thread for reading the db.

fun fun fun.

For a good time: shup | stashbox | my homepage
Old 18th December 2003, 02:54   #56
Reaper
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by roele
What is the iPod Tree for? The folder tree is already on my iPod and i won't to delete my current iTunes DB.

How does the syncing exactly works? Is the user able to select the synchronizable files like in iTunes?
Try barto's fixed version, it's working fine for me without the treefix.

ml_iPod - [Homepage] | [Forums] | [Wiki]
Old 18th December 2003, 07:42   #57
tommyudo

winamp fucked my ipod

i loaded my mp3s onto my ipod through ephpod because musicmatch sucked. then apple released itunes for windows; but wait, it doesn't support windows me. then nullsoft released winamp 5 (i had used winamp 2). i thought it would make things better. now i wish i had stuck with musicmatch - and guys, that's meant as a greivous insult.

yes, i downloaded the ipod plugin and the ipod tree. i reread the instructions three times to make sure i got it right. i'm certain i did.

all worked fine at first. as long as i plug my ipod into my pc and play files off winamp, it worked beautifully. but as soon as i unplugged my ipod from the pc and stuck in my headphones, i couldn't play any songs. the files were still on the ipod, but they didn't show up on the interface. as far as the ipod's software was concerned, they didn't exist.

congratulations, guys, you've turned my ipod into a hard-disk drive that only works with aol software. i'll be sure to email dick parsons to make sure you get lots of options. but first i'll have to spend the next couple of days getting reloading my ipod to where i liked it. thanks for fucking nothing.

oh, and for $15 i'd expect a phone number i can call for a little human support.

you fucking losers.
Old 18th December 2003, 09:24   #58
Pentorqueloo

Tommyudo, restore the iPod to factory settings to fix it. Reload your music to the iPod, all will be good as new. You may want to try formatting your iPod for Mac. Mine behaved unpredictably when it was formatted for Windows.

I tried out the plugin tonight (2k, WA5, 2nd gen, 1.3, Mac) and had mixed results. For starters, the iPod loaded to the ML very quickly, much faster than with other softwares. WA was able to play songs from the iPod.

First things first, I thought, let's test it. So I deleted the contents of my iPod like I usually do when I'm updating it, and Winamp ceased to recognize it. I stopped the iPod, waited and reconnected but the iPod was thereafter unrecognizable to the ML. I couldn't reload the iPod without using other software, which I did.

No harm done.

p.s. I'm glad to see this plugin's gone open.

p.p.s. This is in regards to Barto's fixed version.
Old 19th December 2003, 23:25   #59
ReDFiRe

it's good to see the plugin in motion, I would love to be able to use the ML to right click and transfer my songs / playlists right to the ipod...

keep up the great work guys, I check daily for updates
Old 19th December 2003, 23:56   #60
Kymera

I'd pay money for an iPod option to be in the new Winamp Pro. /me despises iTunes for its bad Windows support.
Old 20th December 2003, 13:22   #61
maxdido

i'm giving some info for the developers of this ipod plugin, i hope it's usefull.
my ipod :
* 3gen
* 40GB
* firmware 2.1
* windows xp pro, sp1a

- i deinstalled itunes.
- i RESTORED my ipod, all data is lost, and the ipod is set to factory defaults.
- restarted my computer.

- downloaded the following file from this thread : "ipod-plugin-fixed[barto].zip"
- put this file : "ml_ipod.dll" in the "plugins" directory of winamp
- i didn't install the rest of the files.

- started winamp version 5.01
- in the media library under "devices" i see "ipod"
- right clicked on "ipod" and then "ipod configuration"
- set the ipod driveletter to "J" (that's where my ipod is located)

- drag & droped a song from the media library to the "ipod" (under "devices")
- got the following message : "error opening ipod database!"

- then i copied these files from the zipfile that i downloaded earlier to the following directory on my ipod : J:\iPod_Control\iTunes
* ipod.rc
* itunesdb.cpp
* itunesdb.h
* ml_ipod.dsp
* resource.h
* view_ipod.cpp

- still got the same error message : "error opening ipod database!"
- then i saw that these files are read only, i changed the properties so now they're NOT read only
- still got the same error message : "error opening ipod database!"

- then i tried this download : winamp295-ipod-fixed.zip
- did all the same things but still got the same error message

- deleted these files in the following directory on my ipod : J:\iPod_Control\iTunes
* ipod.rc
* itunesdb.cpp
* itunesdb.h
* ml_ipod.dsp
* resource.h
* view_ipod.cpp

- then i installed itunes 4.2
- restarted my computer
- started itunes
- then i noticed that in this directory "J:\iPod_Control\iTunes" the following files where created :
* DeviceInfo
* iTunesControl
* iTunesDB
* iTunesEQPresets
* iTunesPrefs
- so before starting itunes (when you reformat "restore" the ipod), i didn't had these files!!

- started winamp

- started itunes
- drag & droped a song from the library to the ipod
- started winamp
- no error message files are being transferred

- started itunes and deleted the song that i earlier put on the ipod from within itunes
- started winamp
- no error message files are being transferred

- when i delete all songs on the ipod and i want to drag & drop a song from the media library to the "ipod" (under "devices") from within winamp

Perhaps some other users experience the same problems.
And what i don't understand is what are these files for ???????????
* ipod.rc
* itunesdb.cpp
* itunesdb.h
* ml_ipod.dsp
* resource.h
* view_ipod.cpp
Old 20th December 2003, 13:48   #62
qmf

Works fine for me, using the tree fix.

If the transfer is aborted by other means than the abort button the database gets screwed and the songs dont show up - but that's not really an issue. Can't wait to see playlist and other ipod function support.

! I just had a genius idea - an ipod plugin that connects to a ticketmaster rss feed - downloads the time, date and venues of your favourite bands gigs and puts them in the ipod calender... Sorry I'm trailing off there.
Old 20th December 2003, 14:39   #63
maxdido

i uploaded all songs through winamp. it was only twice as slow as itunes with transferring the songs. i got about 4.5MB/s with winamp, it took about 30 minutes to transfer 1327 songs.

and when all songs where transferred it said it skipped 2 songs but it didn't show what songs where skipped ?? so now i miss 2 songs on my ipod because i have 1329 songs and on my ipod are only 1327 songs. how do i know wich songs where skipped. i can hardly check every song
Old 20th December 2003, 15:26   #64
roele

@maxdido: You are right this is a lack.

After i get it to work on my machine i was a bit disappointed. But the Plug-In is in a early stage and there are lots of improvements to be done. Perhaps there are some developers out there who can get this things to work?

Feature request:
  • Song synchronizing management like the one in iTunes where you can mark the songs which should be synchronized.
  • Send to iPod... (would be nice too)
  • Eject iPod (removes device)

Just my 2 cent ;-)
Old 20th December 2003, 22:51   #65
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Feature requests are another thing....
but which version are you using?
The latest Nullsoft version, with the separate ipod-tree fix?
Or barto's all-in-one fixed version?

And some details about your iPod would be nice...
Old 23rd December 2003, 20:24   #66
hdEATH

Barto's Version just works perfect with Winamp 5.01 and my 2nd gen. iPod. -- But: The Plugin is almost totaly useless without Playlists!
Old 23rd December 2003, 20:31   #67
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Latest Nullsoft iPod plugin update - Dec 22nd 2003

No tree-fix required
With many thanks to barto

Unzip plugin to winamp\plugins dir
Note: source code included

Also note: This plugin is not official and is not supported

Update:

Do not download this old version!

ml_ipod is now available here:
http://mlipod.sourceforge.net
http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=138888

Keep checking this thread for the very latest updates.
Note: It's wise to start on the last page
and work backwards until you see the latest update from Will.
Attached Files
File Type: zip wa5_ipod.zip (52.6 KB, 3475 views)
Old 25th December 2003, 09:33   #68
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Problems abound still.

Since the iPod stores all extended characters in Unicode format the media library still can't display the information properly.

My iPod contains 2513 songs, a fair number of which are Japanese in origin and as such have Japanese titles/artist entries, IN Japanese.

Why's this bug still hanging around in winamp 5? Will it ever be fixed and bring winamp up to a semblance of multilingual capability?
Old 25th December 2003, 16:41   #69
nifti

Great work! With the newest version it worked great, o so great! I thought it word have to search for all the files for a while and kind of reluctantly I pressed the iPod link but the files poped up in a sec!

Now I have 3 wishes:

Playlist support!!

Editable view of the iPod music - Artist/Album view would be kind of nice.. Is this possible, I can't find it..

Importing/exporting of rating from/to the iPod DB

Once again, great work! It's really apreciated!
Old 25th December 2003, 21:20   #70
Pentorqueloo

The 12-23 update gave me quite a bit of trouble. What happened to Tommyudo and maxdido above happened to me as well.

After loading the iPod completely only one song was available (The Trapper Song from Cannibal, the Musical haha). The other songs were present but unaccounted for.

I reformatted the iPod & uninstalled the plugin, but then had to reinstall Xplay because along the way a critical file was lost, the file that allows Xplay to view the iPod as an iPod and not an external drive. It turns out this was a felix culpa b/c there was an update available, but if installing or uninstalling the plugin removed this file, why?

No harm done.

2k, 2nd gen, 1.3, 20gig, Mac
Old 26th December 2003, 01:21   #71
hfhf6

Hey maxdido!

Those files that you kept moving around are the source files of the plugin. .cpp is a C++ source file, .dsp Is a workspace I believe and .h is a Header File. You don't have to move those around at all. Thats just for debugging and the like.
Old 26th December 2003, 09:44   #72
maxdido

ooohh, the source files of the plugin. thanks then i don't have to do anything with them cause i don't understand programming

EDIT : there's something wrong in the plugin (with this date 12-22-2003) i selected all 1344 mp3's in the winamp library, drag&droped it on the ipod then it started to transfer. now i have 1447 mp3's on my ipod ???????
Old 27th December 2003, 13:32   #73
nifti

It would be nice if you could Drag from the playlist to the iPod and also for the iPod link to Hide when the iPod isn't connected and pop up when the iPod is connected

Porhaps the drag and drop thing can be added together with this feature..?
Old 30th December 2003, 21:01   #74
MOCKBA

Quote:
Originally posted by roele
Would be great if this project could go opensource. In this case a lot of new improvements could be added

Just my 2 cents,
Roland
Indeed, it could help to add all iTunes features including smart lists very fast. Otherwise this plugin is good, but it doesn't solve problem to have only one app. So, please, please make it open source ASAP.
Old 31st December 2003, 00:06   #75
Reaper
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by MOCKBA
Indeed, it could help to add all iTunes features including smart lists very fast. Otherwise this plugin is good, but it doesn't solve problem to have only one app. So, please, please make it open source ASAP.
The source code is already included in 'ipod-src.zip' within 'wa5_ipod.zip'...

ml_iPod - [Homepage] | [Forums] | [Wiki]
Old 2nd January 2004, 19:34   #76
iLoveiPods

3g 40gb fw 2.1 winxp pro sp1 wa5 (x86) 12/14/03

works fine
Old 4th January 2004, 02:47   #77
irsx1106

this is THE plugin i have been lookin for. but there is just one thing i would like to ask for to be supported, multilanguage. Most of my collection is in chinese/japanese characters and they show up right when i play it but it never shows up correctly in the media library. I hope it wouldn't be a hard task to do and hopefully will be added to the next update. Thanks and appreciate it!!!!!
Old 7th January 2004, 06:22   #78
jterdik

OK I've downloaded the 12/23 iPod plug in but I'm a bit confused about the actual usage. I'm not sure if it is going to do things better or easier for me. Comments?

I have a 3g 20GB iPod, v2.0.1

I could not get Musicmatch to work and gave up on it. I've been using EphPod and have been really happy with it. I use DioneSS Playlist Editor http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thorin92/dss/index.htm and have been really pleased with it. Once I create a playlist I can just drag & drop on EphPod and all the files are transfered.

I have about 300 GB of MP3 audio books and never listen to music on the iPod, just books when I'm driving or working out.
Old 20th January 2004, 15:42   #79
eddan

WinXP, 3rd gen ipod w/latest ipod update and WA plug-in.

Works excellent! Please continue developing it - it's got some real potensial. All my feature requests are posted already

Good work - use it every day!
Old 20th January 2004, 20:18   #80
lunarboy1
Forum King

a bunch of my friends use it, but don't tread the forums so i supply them with it, they love it. Keep my friends happy. (and thinking i'm really cool )
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion