Old 31st December 2003, 09:02   #1
unasked4

Error when attempting a rip In Winamp Pro

I have Winamp Pro, I have the output plugin set to mp3 writer v1.1, I have the ripping preferences configured the way I want them, when I press the "rip all" button, I get an error that says, "can't open decoder, abborting", what am I doing wrong?
UnAsked4
unasked4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2003, 16:09   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

There's no need to adjust the Output plugin when using the built-in ripper.
You should leave it on the default DirectSound Output.

The ripping preferences are found @ Prefs -> CD Ripping
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2003, 19:00   #3
unasked4

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
There's no need to adjust the Output plugin when using the built-in ripper.
You should leave it on the default DirectSound Output.

The ripping preferences are found @ Prefs -> CD Ripping
I tried all this, I still get the same result. What "decoder" might the error be referencing?
Thanks for the prompt response,
Unasked4
Old 31st December 2003, 19:24   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Looks familiar....
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=140203
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=140203
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=140297
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=140383
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=146298

First of all, confirm that you're not trying to play and rip the CD at the same time.
You can do one or the other (play it, or rip it), but not both together.

If that's not the case, then...

Make sure "Digital Audio Extraction" is checkmarked in the CD plugin config
(Prefs -> Plugins -> Input -> in_cdda -> config)

And then uncheck "Use sonic engine"

Note, pre Winamp 5.3x (not 5.3x or newer):
Changes to in_cdda config only take place after restarting winamp.

If 'Use Sonic Engine' is unchecked,
then Winamp will be attempting to use the ASPI Layer instead. For this to work, place
WNASPI32.DLL in the Winamp root dir (eg. C:\Program Files\Winamp). This is the Ahead Software version (as used in Nero 6), and is recommended for Win2k or WinXP.

Some people have reported that this slightly older version of the
WNASPI32.DLL (from Nero 5.5) works for them, but not the newer one linked to above. This version should be placed in the %system% dir (eg. C:\WinNT\System32 on Win2k, C:\Windows\System32 on WinXP).

One way or another, one of them will work

If there's already a version of wnaspi32.dll in the System32 dir,
be sure to back it up first!

Please be sure to try both methods!
ie. Placing the newer Nero ASPI in Winamp dir. No joy? Remove it, and then try placing the older Nero ASPI Mgr in the System dir.
Again, note that any changes will require a Winamp restart to take effect.

Also note that ^this^ applies to Win2k/XP/2003 only!
Win9x/ME users should check/install/update either the FULL Adaptec ASPI Layer (which should already be installed by default with Windows 9x/ME) or the FULL Nero ASPI Layer. More info here.
Old 31st December 2003, 22:00   #5
unasked4

Hi,
It was indeed the wnaspi.dll that resides in windows\system32. I'm ripping like, well, who knows what?? Thanks!!
Happy New Year,
UnAsked4
Old 3rd January 2004, 16:32   #6
decairn

I had a similar error (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=162834), changing ASPI driver to the Nero one worked fine.

Adaptec ASPI driver that didn't work was version 4.71.2.0
decairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2004, 14:55   #7
DissolvedOne

I am not having a similar problem. Winamp5 CRASHES when I try to rip something....

The crash is in the in_cdda.dll itself.
DissolvedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2004, 14:58   #8
DissolvedOne

Wow, it works now. I updated the ASPI and I'm fine. Thanks a bunch!
DissolvedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2004, 23:56   #9
spizzbool

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Make sure "digital audio extraction" is checkmarked in the CD plugin config
(Prefs -> Plugins -> Input -> in_cdda -> config)

Also try checking/unchecking "use sonic engine"
Ha! I should have known that the cd reader would have something to do with this! That's exactly what my problem was. Thanks.

You don't suppose they could make a duplicate of this plugin with a fixed configuration that the ripper could utilize? It's tough to make the connection that what you'te doing will break ripping when you're twiddling with options in the cd reader. I had turned off digital audio extraction because my cd drive has a digital out jack which I've connected to my sound card. Having the extraction turned on when I'm listening to CDs just makes it a LOT slower to start playing a track. Maybe they can just put in a little warning dialog box when you uncheck those options in in_cdda.
spizzbool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2004, 00:05   #10
Xaspt

HeyI tried all of these steps and it just crashes. I need help still!
Xaspt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2004, 00:31   #11
spizzbool

what OS are you using?

What operating system are you using Xaspt?

In the ripping prefs under advanced ripping settings make sure "read audio data from cds using bundled sonic extraction engine" checked. Make sure "use sonic" engine is checked in in_cdda plugin config. If you still crash then uncheck both and try it again.
Old 27th January 2004, 00:34   #12
Xaspt

windows xp

ive tried everything
Old 27th January 2004, 00:39   #13
spizzbool

Read my edited post above. Do you have any burning programs like nero installed? The only other guy that reported it crashing said it had something to do with the aspi drivers present on his system... perhaps if all else fails you should try and install adaptec's aspi layer and use that (and not the sonic engine). Are you experiencing problems with other programs besides winamp crashing often?
Old 27th January 2004, 01:07   #14
Xaspt

yes I have realone player installed and it crashes also when I start it up
Old 27th January 2004, 01:12   #15
Xaspt

Can sommeone help me more please! It's still not working UGH
Old 27th January 2004, 17:10   #16
spizzbool

It's either the OS or the hardware's fault. Who knows which. You can try to go to www.adaptec.com and install their ASPI drivers for XP and see if that improves the situation any. Also go to www.memtest86.com and make sure you don't have any bad bits in RAM.
Old 9th February 2004, 16:48   #17
supremo

I'm running a registered copy of winamp5 pro on win2k and I have tried all of the above. I did manage to get rid of the "can't open decoder" message by adding the older aspi driver to my system32 folder (alas, the link for the newer driver doesn't seem to work) but that message is replaced by a new message and a winamp crash.

The new message I'm getting when I try to rip all files (or rip selected files) is: winamp.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program. I've tried this with a few different CDs with the same result.

I have Digital Audio Extraction checked, I tried checking/unchecking "use sonic engine", I've repeatedly done these followed by a winamp restart and system restarts, and I put the wnaspi32.dll file in the system32 folder.

Like I said above, the link to wnaspi32.dll doesn't seem to work and I can't find it anywhere else. I guess that might solve my problem if anyone has it and can post it.

Otherwise, I'd appreciate any more ideas. Thanks!
supremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2004, 19:37   #18
supremo

UPDATE - It rips from cd fine on my WinXP system at home - would there be any problem with maybe trying to take the .dll file from there and copying it to my win2k computer? Or is it possible that my XP computer doesn't even use that file?

Last edited by supremo; 10th February 2004 at 20:56.
Old 11th February 2004, 14:59   #19
spizzbool

It's more than just DLL files that need to be moved around. There are services that run in Win2k/XP that provide the ASPI interface through those DLL files. Actually Windows 200 0 doesn't come with its own ASPI layer by default. In XP they provide a buggy one I think.

on the computer that doesn't work: try installing the 4.60 ASPI layer from adaptec. You can find it on the ddump homepage at:

http://www.geocities.com/ddumpfrontend/files/aspi32.zip
Old 11th February 2004, 15:02   #20
spizzbool

If that doesn't work then something has probably gone wrong in your win2k system but I woudln't know just what. Do you have any SCSI controllers (SATA ones count, sort of) installed on that machine?
Old 11th February 2004, 16:20   #21
supremo

Wouldn't it figure that the link you gave me is blocked by the provider here at work. I'll d/l it tonight and try it tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Oh and there are no SCSI on this machine. It's a workstation at work so as you can imagine, they spared no expense
Old 11th February 2004, 20:57   #22
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by supremo
Like I said above, the link to wnaspi32.dll doesn't seem to work and I can't find it anywhere else. I guess that might solve my problem if anyone has it and can post it.
The wnaspi32 links in my post above are both still working fine.
Old 11th February 2004, 21:25   #23
ujay
Forum King

Egg's first link is to an ftp site. Do you need to set your browser/firewall access to reach it?

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2004, 15:00   #24
supremo

Quote:
Egg's first link is to an ftp site. Do you need to set your browser/firewall access to reach it?
Aha, I probably can't get to that page for the same reason I can't get to the other one. Gotta love websense...it's weird though, I don't get a restricted message from them on ftps...is it just a client setting that I can change to get through?

Otherwise, I'll try getting that one from home too and see what happens. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 4th March 2004, 22:11   #25
supremo

Well I've tried just about every combination of .dll's and settings I can from what I've read on this thread and others and I still get either one or the other of the two error messages.

Can someone recommend a different cd ripping software that I can use? And don't say CDex... I tried that one and it requires the aspi layer that I can't get to work

Thanks for the help guys, I think it's just not meant to be.
Old 7th March 2004, 14:20   #26
spizzbool

Exact audio copy: http://www.exactaudiocopy.org/

If Winamp doesn't work on your computer there's probably something messed up in Windows, but you can try EAC anyway. EAC is the most comprehensive audio extraction tool for the PC but it is the most complex. It's worth learning how to use though.
Old 8th March 2004, 14:58   #27
supremo

You're probably right - my OS must be messed up. Now winamp crashes (with the same message as I get when I try to rip a CD) when it tries to read a CD, and that EAC program can't detect a CD in the CD-ROM. That's weird because Windows Media Player can read/rip to WMA just fine. Which sucks because I'm morally against using WMA files.

Anyway, that EAC program looks pretty cool, I'm going to have to try that at home!
Old 8th March 2004, 16:01   #28
spizzbool

Well I guess you have to decide whether or not you're so morally against WMA that you want to reinstall Windows 2000.
Old 14th May 2004, 12:04   #29
silkakos

I did all these and it worked both with the Nero 5.5 ASPI and the Nero 6 one. But, there is no comparison in speed when making mp3 from CDs between Nero and WinAmp. Nero has a speed of 20x while WinAmp has a speed of 0.2x! Why is that? Can anybody help? I just want to use WinAmp to keep the song, singer and album names. It's OK with a speed of 10x, but 0.2? It's a little bit slow, isn't it...
silkakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2004, 13:31   #30
spizzbool

It sounds like Nero is using a burst copy mode. Winamp might use a jitter corrected mode that runs slower on your particular drive.

It's a question for the support staff I guess.
Old 5th October 2004, 04:11   #31
piranha547

Please Help!!!

I've been having the same problems with ripping...

I first tried checking the "use sonic engine" in input preferences, that worked to rip one cd, then I put in another, and it went back to the error message.

I'm not too computer savvy (althought I'm not completely stupid about it) so... Could someone post explicit details on how to change the WNASPI32.DLL that everyone is talking about.

Thanks! Karla
piranha547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2004, 08:44   #32
siebe83
Forum King

What exactly is it you don't understand? Did you read DJ Egg's instructions in this thread?

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2004, 04:14   #33
piranha547

It seems to be working, so I guess I did follow dj egg's instructions just fine. I just thought the process was going to be more complicated that I was.
piranha547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2004, 07:45   #34
siebe83
Forum King

Never underestimate yourself

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2004, 03:55   #35
dmammone

Send a message via Yahoo to dmammone
I'm using the free version of WinAmp 5.04 on Win2kSP4.

I've tried changing the ripper settings, and both aspi drivers (with Sonic engine disabled). Now I don't get the "can't open decoder" error. What I DO get is a error generation that closes WinAmp. Getting an event log entry:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10003
Date: 11/22/2004
Time: 11:07:40 PM
User: N/A
Computer: [compname]
Description:
Access denied attempting to launch a DCOM Server using DefaultLaunchPermssion. The server is:
{00020906-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
The user is Unavailable/Unavailable, SID=Unavailable.

Anyone else get this kind of error and know what fixes it?
dmammone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2004, 07:40   #36
Camien

I've tried every combination of the above, along with reverting back to 5.03 to see if that helped, (it didn't) and the same problem occurs EVERY time.

My problem isn't exactly like those above, it rips the song, however, the song cuts off before finishing playback. Sometimes it will cut off 4 seconds into it, sometimes at the half point, I got 1 song ripped good once in the past 36 hrs or so, and then when I tried to rip using those settings the very next song was messed up. I have no idea what could be wrong and it is very aggravating not knowing what is wrong. If anyone else has encountered this, please let me know.

Thanks

[Edit --> DJ Egg]

If anyone's still got any problems with this, please start a new thread in the Tech Support forum. We can't answer all individual cases in this one faq thread.
Include all relevant information, and confirm that you've tried everything in my post above. Expect to be ignored otherwise!
Camien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2005, 20:09   #37
westo05

i still cant get it to work its so upsettin me now ive tried and tried and it always comes up with the same message
error: Can't open decoder
what shall i do please make it simple
westo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2005, 08:41   #38
ATGardner

Send a message via ICQ to ATGardner Send a message via AIM to ATGardner Send a message via Yahoo to ATGardner
Here's my 2 cents:

I had this same problem over here, tried all those dll files and stuff - at the end I just tried ripping from the Administrator account (My normal accout is a restricted user), and it worked just fine.. So if someone on a restricted account fails to rip - here's another tip for you.

And for you winamp guys - can't you get a restricted user to rip?
ATGardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2006, 11:33   #39
wjc101uk

I have tried both old and new wnaspi32.dll files in the correct places and winamp will happily rip a _single_ track from a CD.

However, when I select 'rip all tracks' or 'rip selected tracks', it will rip the first track and then an error messege pops up: 'Can't open decoder'.

Please help!
wjc101uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2006, 20:23   #40
nrikze

Ripping Problem

I tried all of the above, nothing works. I get this problem:

nrikze is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support