Old 5th January 2004, 20:12   #1
ndspeed3

New MP4, M4A, AAC Plugin

It was released Dec 29 and all the tag issues are corrected. Everything like the genre and year shows up in the Media Library now. Direct download:
http://rarewares.hydrogenaudio.org/files/in_mp4.zip
ndspeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2004, 21:40   #2
inthegray
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to inthegray
wow, awesome. i don't use itunes, the iTMS, or aac files at all, but i'm sure a lot of people will appreciate this plug-in.

am i correct in assuming that this enables winamp to play AAC files bought from the iTunes store?
inthegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2004, 21:55   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Updated sticky thread accordingly:
Most Requested Features / Plug-ins

Note: the iTMS M4P plugin is here
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2004, 04:37   #4
bluhring

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg

Note: the iTMS M4P plugin is here [/B]
I've searched through a lot of threads, and no one will say it flat out (and many date back to October 2003)...

Can we convert iTunes purchased music (in .m4p format) into .mp3 files using Winamp 5 (basic or pro) with any combination of plugins?
bluhring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2004, 17:09   #5
Reaper
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by bluhring
I've searched through a lot of threads, and no one will say it flat out (and many date back to October 2003)...

Can we convert iTunes purchased music (in .m4p format) into .mp3 files using Winamp 5 (basic or pro) with any combination of plugins?
No. The plugin bypasses any of Winamp's output plugins, DSPs, etc. and uses Quicktime to play the files.

ml_iPod - [Homepage] | [Forums] | [Wiki]
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2004, 17:40   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

And that, my friend, is the price you pay for purchasing DRM-protected proprietry formats. Nothing to stop you from burning to CD, then reripping to MP3, but you will most certainly lose quality by going from one compressed lossy format to another.
Old 31st January 2004, 17:47   #7
Reaper
Forum King

..and just to add to DJ Egg's post:

No, you cannot burn .m4p's with Winamp Pro, incase you're curious. iTunes is the only app that can burn them, afaik.

Old 31st January 2004, 17:59   #8
bluhring

So,then, if I started to buy from Napster instead. Will Winamp convert their WMA files?

--thanks for all your help, guys!
Old 31st January 2004, 18:08   #9
Reaper
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by bluhring
So,then, if I started to buy from Napster instead. Will Winamp convert their WMA files?

--thanks for all your help, guys!
Again, No. Protected WMA files from services like Napster 2.0 aren't even supported for playback yet. You definetely pay a price when buy this DRM infested crap. Do yourself a favor and go out to a record store (or an online retailer like CDNow) and purchase the album and rip it yourself if you want it in MP3 format (and not transcoded, for that matter).

Old 31st January 2004, 18:13   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

...and, in addition to Reaper's post:
Hello?!
Old 1st February 2004, 12:47   #11
Alltaken

yes i must say it seems a bit stupid buying a product (lossy audio) that is worse than the product its replacing (cds, dvds...) but paying the same price.

A) you don't get the case and book with any online purchase

B) you don't get the sound quality of a CD

C) you don't own the music from online (well you don't with a cd but you have more rights, ripping, burning backups, ....)

D) you don't havea hard copy of the product

anyway those are some of the issues that stop me buying online.

i am sure that some day i will. when i do these requirements will need to be in place.

1)music is exactly the same in quality (or better) to that of the shop one (and better than cd's e.g. the next generation of music)

2)that the price factors in the lack of printed material, and cheapness of the distribution methods.

3) the artists get more of a cut.

i personally suggest you go to your local CD store and support REAL companys, rather than supporting monopolys that will only shaft you in the future.

Alltaken
Alltaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2004, 14:02   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Amen bro
Old 1st February 2004, 17:26   #13
bluhring

What I can't believe is that a bunch of world-renowned business executives, marketers, and strategists sat down at a meeting; they recognized an extremely high demand for their product in .mp3 format; they realized that filling that demand was not just a good idea, but a NECESSARY action; then their ultimate solution was to NOT give their costumers what they were demanding....

Absolutely idiotic.

I'll start buying from them as soon as they give me portable files. One's that I can put on my computer at home, work, school, my MP3 player, my PDA, and my cell phone. One's that I can burn to CD (as MP3) to play in my vehicle.

As far as the money going to the "artists," I'd rather see it redistributed to the guys encoding the MP3s, and the genius that finaly convinces the industry to give us what we're asking for.
Old 2nd February 2004, 10:38   #14
DJ Radio

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Radio Send a message via AIM to DJ Radio Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Radio
i want to buy .wav's or better format directly from the artist, so the ones that make the music i love get my money, instead of greedy companies that ask money for not distributing it.
i dont want lossy audio in a format that restricts me to one player on one platform and my money going to people doing nothing for it, who dont even love the same music as me, but are only in it for the cash.
DJ Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2004, 21:04   #15
the_sk8_dude

Thanks for this, helped a lot.

Really hate Apple, and the iPod sooo much!!!
the_sk8_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2004, 14:20   #16
currant

CD Quality

Quote:
Originally posted by Alltaken
yes i must say it seems a bit stupid buying a product (lossy audio) that is worse than the product its replacing (cds, dvds...) but paying the same price.

A) you don't get the case and book with any online purchase

B) you don't get the sound quality of a CD

C) you don't own the music from online (well you don't with a cd but you have more rights, ripping, burning backups, ....)

D) you don't havea hard copy of the product

Alltaken
OK, I had to register to reply to this specific forum message, because the information is FLAT, DEAD, Wrong! Couldn't be further from the truth.

A) Who gives a flying petuty bout the case or the book?

B) OK, this is obviously someone that does not understand digital. Digital is a medium controlled by a computer, its software. I can create a file, copy it, enhance it, increase its properties, and modify it in any shape form or fashion. i can copy a digital file a million times, and the final one is EXACTLY like the original. In the first place, WAV audio is a sequential file. Still digital bits layed out in a straight line. So if you have 3 notes in a song, and its repeated 15 times, the wav file shows it as ***,***,***...etc.. 15 times. The ONLY thing that happens with Mp3 files is compression. This is NOT the same compression as sound compression where the sound is sampled. Digital media takes advantage of a process known as tokens. Its the same principal as a zip file. When you compress a zip file, send it to someone, and they uncompress it.. doesn't their file look EXACTLY and WORK EXACTLY as you sent it? Of course it does, this is proof that digital bits are 100% exact replicas. So in that WAV file what happens when you convert that song with 3 notes to a Mp3 file, it uses a token to replace the same occurrence of the same notes. So in mp3 it looks something like this. *** (%^&). The strange characters in () tells the song that everytime you see *** play it (%^&) amount of times. That token replaces every instance of that *** repeating note sequence, which is why the file is much smaller. It does NOT reduce the sound quality by shortcutting it. It merely replaces the data in the song when the sequence is the same, so the file is not filled with redundant data. Same as compression algorhythms on compressed drives, zip files, and same methods used in video cards... the video cards are better because the compression algorhythms are faster because of the hardware. Not only is the above information true, I can PROVE the files are the same (if not better, which sometimes via certain enhancements they can be) then the CD audio, WAV but run the song through a spectral analyzer. In many cases Mp3 files are actually a higher fidelity than WAV or CD linear format, because of the compression techniques, and the software the converts them.. the software "cleams up" the digital file and can automatically "tune" the file for better sound.

C) One misconception about copying CD's is that you own the media. If you follow the news, you have noticed where its officially illegal to copy movie DVD's even for personal use. it has ALWAYS been illegal (you can justify it all you want) to copy CD and tapes. I do it, but i know its wrong. Other people do it, and its still wrong. Buying a CD gives you 1 license to USE (not distribute or reproduce) USE (not copy or replicate) JUST use that 1 CD you bought. That's it. You will not find it anywhere written its "ok" to copy a cd. Thats BS. Totally. We get away with it, because the music industry won't sue each one of us for a lousy 10 bucks for each time we do it. And until internet came along it wasn't a big deal, but now we have the ability to distribute a single file world wide, and everyone has access to it, and can burn a cd with that digital file, at no discernible difference, and therefore 1 person buys a CD, rips it, and now hundreds of thousands of people can distribute it many times over, that' why they are cracking down on copy and distributing CDs. its way too easy to make copies of the same CD, and only 1 person paid for it. You don't have a right to anything, in fact, the CD is sealed. Read the fine print copyright. "By opening this package you agree to the terms....". Those terms are you will only USE this ONE CD. You will not copy it or distribute its contents. No one ever reads.. And you can try and dispute this all you want.. but its wrong and its illegal. Period. (I still do it.. but the part I hate is when people say its not wrong). Be a man! Admit you are wrong, but don't justify copying cd by saying.. "well I have a right..". No, you don't.

D) You do and you don't. A hard copy is physical item. You have it on your hard drive. Some services only let you stream the song to your computer. So if your internet connection is down, you cant play your music. With this.. "hardcopy" you can play it whenever you like. No you don't have a CD, but Itunes allows you to make an audio CD.
currant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2004, 15:28   #17
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Re: CD Quality

Quote:
Originally posted by currant
OK, I had to register to reply to this specific forum message, because the information is FLAT, DEAD, Wrong! Couldn't be further from the truth.

A) Who gives a flying petuty bout the case or the book?
Um, is it or is it not TRUTH that you do not recieve a case or a printed book when buying digital music online? And I know a lot of people from the vinyl generation that care an awful lot about their album artwork and liner notes.
Quote:

B) OK, this is obviously someone that does not understand digital. Digital is a medium controlled by a computer, its software. I can create a file, copy it, enhance it, increase its properties, and modify it in any shape form or fashion. i can copy a digital file a million times, and the final one is EXACTLY like the original. In the first place, WAV audio is a sequential file. Still digital bits layed out in a straight line. So if you have 3 notes in a song, and its repeated 15 times, the wav file shows it as ***,***,***...etc.. 15 times. The ONLY thing that happens with Mp3 files is compression. This is NOT the same compression as sound compression where the sound is sampled. Digital media takes advantage of a process known as tokens. Its the same principal as a zip file. When you compress a zip file, send it to someone, and they uncompress it.. doesn't their file look EXACTLY and WORK EXACTLY as you sent it? Of course it does, this is proof that digital bits are 100% exact replicas. So in that WAV file what happens when you convert that song with 3 notes to a Mp3 file, it uses a token to replace the same occurrence of the same notes. So in mp3 it looks something like this. *** (%^&). The strange characters in () tells the song that everytime you see *** play it (%^&) amount of times. That token replaces every instance of that *** repeating note sequence, which is why the file is much smaller. It does NOT reduce the sound quality by shortcutting it. It merely replaces the data in the song when the sequence is the same, so the file is not filled with redundant data. Same as compression algorhythms on compressed drives, zip files, and same methods used in video cards... the video cards are better because the compression algorhythms are faster because of the hardware. Not only is the above information true, I can PROVE the files are the same (if not better, which sometimes via certain enhancements they can be) then the CD audio, WAV but run the song through a spectral analyzer. In many cases Mp3 files are actually a higher fidelity than WAV or CD linear format, because of the compression techniques, and the software the converts them.. the software "cleams up" the digital file and can automatically "tune" the file for better sound.
Woah. A ton of misinformation here. Really really bad misinformation. MP3's are a form of LOSSY compression. If you compress and decompress a wav to mp3 and back a hundred times, each iteration will destroy a little more of the sound data, until (if continued for enough cycles), you only have gray noise. There ARE audio encoders that work like zip compressers do, these are called LOSSLESS encoders and the files they create are larger than LOSSY ones, although still smaller than wav(examples: FLAC, Monkey's Audio, AIFF, Shorten). All compressed audio files can not possibly sound "better" than they did before. They may sound different, and therefore more enjoyable, TO YOU, but that isn't techincally "better", as an encoder cannot add fidelity to something. Fidelity means faithfulness to the original, not enhanced acoustical properties. Don't bother trying to prove me wrong here, if you disagree with me, I suggest you first visit www.hydrogenaudio.org and read up on these subjects, then you can attempt to prove your claims there using scientific and independently verifiable data, where I am confident they will be exposed as untrue.
Quote:

C) One misconception about copying CD's is that you own the media. If you follow the news, you have noticed where its officially illegal to copy movie DVD's even for personal use. it has ALWAYS been illegal (you can justify it all you want) to copy CD and tapes. I do it, but i know its wrong. Other people do it, and its still wrong. Buying a CD gives you 1 license to USE (not distribute or reproduce) USE (not copy or replicate) JUST use that 1 CD you bought. That's it. You will not find it anywhere written its "ok" to copy a cd. Thats BS. Totally. We get away with it, because the music industry won't sue each one of us for a lousy 10 bucks for each time we do it. And until internet came along it wasn't a big deal, but now we have the ability to distribute a single file world wide, and everyone has access to it, and can burn a cd with that digital file, at no discernible difference, and therefore 1 person buys a CD, rips it, and now hundreds of thousands of people can distribute it many times over, that' why they are cracking down on copy and distributing CDs. its way too easy to make copies of the same CD, and only 1 person paid for it. You don't have a right to anything, in fact, the CD is sealed. Read the fine print copyright. "By opening this package you agree to the terms....". Those terms are you will only USE this ONE CD. You will not copy it or distribute its contents. No one ever reads.. And you can try and dispute this all you want.. but its wrong and its illegal. Period. (I still do it.. but the part I hate is when people say its not wrong). Be a man! Admit you are wrong, but don't justify copying cd by saying.. "well I have a right..". No, you don't.
Yes I do so have that right. I assume we're dealing with US copyright laws only (if not, we may as well end the discussion here and now, as international laws are all over the place on this). Read up on what copyright is and isn't: http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/ch1.html
As consumers, we DO have CERTAIN rights as to what we can do with things we purchase. We can't give it away or perform it for an audience, but for personal use only, copying that data from the cd to something else does not break the law.

Also, DVD copying isn't illegal, descrambling the content is, under the DMCA. I can legally copy the data for the purposes of backing it up, but if I decrypt it, then I have broken the law(yeah, I know, that's messed up...tell it to the MPAA, I didn't write the DMCA). Since CDs are not encrypted in the first place they don't force you to break the law just to make a working copy.
Quote:

D) You do and you don't. A hard copy is physical item. You have it on your hard drive. Some services only let you stream the song to your computer. So if your internet connection is down, you cant play your music. With this.. "hardcopy" you can play it whenever you like. No you don't have a CD, but Itunes allows you to make an audio CD.
Some people enjoy the whole product, not just the audio itself. Occasionally, cds will be packaged in original and innovative ways (example: Pink Floyd's blinking Pulse album cd cases).

-=Gonzotek=-

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2004, 18:17   #18
currant

Re: Re: CD Quality

Quote:
Originally posted by Gonzotek
Um, is it or is it not TRUTH that you do not recieve a case or a printed book when buying digital music online? And I know a lot of people from the vinyl generation that care an awful lot about their album artwork and liner notes.

As consumers, we DO have CERTAIN rights as to what we can do with things we purchase. We can't give it away or perform it for an audience, but for personal use only, copying that data from the cd to something else does not break the law.

Also, DVD copying isn't illegal, descrambling the content is, under the DMCA. I can legally copy the data for the purposes of backing it up, but if I decrypt it, then I have broken the law(yeah, I know, that's messed up...tell it to the MPAA, I didn't write the DMCA). Since CDs are not encrypted in the first place they don't force you to break the law just to make a working copy.
Some people enjoy the whole product, not just the audio itself. Occasionally, cds will be packaged in original and innovative ways (example: Pink Floyd's blinking Pulse album cd cases).

-=Gonzotek=-
There is always 1 moron that wants to have his DVD, and refuses to listen to the copyright laws. First of all its Illegal. Read the stupid disclaimer on the movie. What does it say. "ANY" -read well my man- "ANY" duplication in whole or in part is S-T-R-I-C-T-L-Y - read up on your engligsh, that means NO- Prohibited. Period. End of subject. There is no room for discussion. It was just announced on the web last week, and someone always has to challenge this. The movie studio and only the movie studio that produces the DVD, its their legal right to decide what you will do with it. I dont care how many links you send me, that's hogwash. Cornell law? hahaha..give me a break man. I don't care what you have for a law degree, its not legal. Infinite documentation that is written on the CD and DVD. No copying, no reproducing, no backup copies, its not legal. What part of NOT are you hving trouble understanding? Show me 1 place, and I have posted this on numerous sites, news, and boards, and have 1 person to show me where on the CD or DVD it says you can copy it? You won't find it, in fact its S-T-R-I-C-T-L-Y prohibited. Why do you people still insist there is a shread of evidence to support legal copying of a DVD? Here, is a link. http://copyright.org/Press/ That's the only one that matters, yes us law and the Producers and the owners of the license are the ONLY ones that can give a right for you to copy its content. not the federal government. Even that link you sent even shows.. you still have to stay within the guidelines of the license. The federal government only allows copying for personal use, when its not specifally prohibited. I have over 250 DVD's, I have said this time and time again.. every one has no copying. Its really very simple. I really am amazed that you people still hold on to this fairy tale dream land. It doesn't exist. Its illegal. I am not saying i don't do it. But, I am saying have the decency and the where with all, to at lease own up to the FACT its illegal to make copies unless you have specific rights from the producer or manufacturer. Up until and including that day, you do NOT have the right. Justify it, and pretend that just because the feds don't knock on your door and seize all of your cd's and dvd's doesn't mean its not legal. That's only in your head, and you are not heeding the warning label. I really don't care, but don't sit there and say its "OK" to do something, when its specifically stated that is not. Show me 1 cd with music or dvd with movie produced that shows where it specifically outlines copying for personal use. After 10 years, many posts, and thousands of replies... I still don't see one. I dont' want to see all this legal mumbo jumbo about hereto, and grants.. this and what you *THINK* you are entitled to, because written in plain english on every cd jacket and dvd case and the media themselves, its simply NOT legal. PERIOD.
Old 25th March 2004, 18:25   #19
currant

DVD Copy declared ILLEGAL

Fine, read this. How many more times will people quit this senseless belief about copying, where do you come up with this stuff? Here is an article. Read it in good health. This is it. Its not legal. i am not telling you quit doing it, just quit condoning illegal copies of copyrighted material. Its stealing bottom line. I do it, although not so much anymore.. since I myself copyrighted a few things.. and had it stolen.. unless I can spend thousands of dollars to fight them.. but its money out of my pocket either way..

http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0...=wn_story_top5
Old 25th March 2004, 18:26   #20
inthegray
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to inthegray
Paragraph Breaks called.

They want to know why you didn't invite them to your posting party.
inthegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2004, 19:12   #21
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

I made clear distinctions about what has been ruled to be illegal and legal. The FBI warnings you refer to usually(but not always) state:
Quote:
"Federal law provides severe civil and criminal penalties for the unauthorized reproduction, distribution or exhibition of copyrighted motion pictures, video tapes, or video discs.

Criminal copyright infringement is investigated by the FBI and may constitute a felony with a maximum penalty of up to five years in prison and/or a $250,000 fine."
The important part is "unauthorized". Copying for backup purposes(for example) is an AUTHORIZED reproduction, baring other factors. And guess what? Another factor is the encryption used for dvds. You can't do a dvd copy without breaking the encryption, and by breaking the encryption, you've broken the law set forth in the DMCA. So, copying a DVD in and of itself isn't illegal, but because nearly all dvd's use encryption (there do exist a few encryption free commercial discs) the process by which they can be copied is illegal. The same can not be said for cds. Backing them up is, quite simply, 100% legal and always has been.

Quote:
But, I am saying have the decency and the where with all, to at lease own up to the FACT its illegal to make copies unless you have specific rights from the producer or manufacturer.
It isn't and they (the producers) can't give out rights that they themselves aren't in control over. The right to make a personal backup isn't something a copyright holder can give or take from you, it is superceded by the law.
Quote:
Show me 1 cd with music or dvd with movie produced that shows where it specifically outlines copying for personal use.
I don't have to because the government guarantees us these certain fair use rights and it doesn't need to be written on the disc or case or packaging for it to be true. Of course, every day the very laws to which we're referring are being challenged and the studios are essentially buying space in our law books to suit their needs.

And finally, let's use your article as evidence for my argument:
Quote:
"This decision confirms what we've feared all along, which is that the DMCA is being used to take away your fair use rights in the digital world," said Jason Schultz, an attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation, which submitted a friend-of-the-court brief on behalf of 321 Studios. "It really speaks to the need to go back to Congress and revisit the DMCA. I don't think anyone expected that this law would be used so severely to cut back on consumers' rights to use things they own or bought."
You've always been allowed to make a copy of a video, but the studios have added a technological measure that prevents copying. If you break that measure, you break the law. But the copy itself isn't what you would be in trouble for, it's the breaking of the lock that makes you a criminal.

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2004, 19:15   #22
gaekwad2
Foorum King

*yawn*

edit: this was in reply to currant's rant
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion