Old 13th February 2004, 16:40   #1
WanderingKnight

Media Library should treat "A" like "The"

Topic says it all, really. If you have a band like, say "The Rolling Stones" then the ML ignores the "The" when listing tracks alphabetically by artist, putting the track under R for "Rolling."

But if the band name is, for example "A Perfect Circle" then the ML lists it under A, not P.

Of course, I'm sure there are people who don't want "A" or "The" treated special either, so maybe this needs to be an option...

(if this one is a repeat I'm sorry...it's not in the official wishlist, and searching the forums for "library the a" is pretty futile *LOL*)
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2004, 15:38   #2
avalon1982

If a list of terms to be ignored when sorting could be specified, this would be useful also for other languages. There are way too many spanish groups whose name starts with "los" ("the", masculine plural).
avalon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2004, 17:24   #3
WanderingKnight

You're right, I hadn't considered the possibility of other languages. Your idea makes more sense, a list of "first words" that WinAmp doesn't use for alphabetizing.
Old 19th February 2004, 08:13   #4
marksteadman

I agree on all counts. Words like 'A' and 'Los' should be treated like 'The'
marksteadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2004, 20:52   #5
bratch

Send a message via Yahoo to bratch
ignoring certain words, yes a very good idea. you should be able to specify whether the chosen word to ignore is the first word of the artist or anywhere in it.
bratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2004, 17:34   #6
WanderingKnight

How does one attract attention to get something put on the "official" wishlist?
Old 21st February 2004, 19:00   #7
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

added at http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....threadid=64975

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 00:21   #8
Ian Maxwell

Send a message via ICQ to Ian Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Ian Maxwell
Seems to me that the logical way to do this would be to include in the Preferences a modifiable list of leading words to be ignored. Start it off with the obvious ones in a few really common languages: a, an, the, un, une, el, la, le, l', die, der. Let them be added or removed as the user sees fit. If zie wants to ignore the word 'applesauce' for sorting, that's zir choice.
Ian Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2004, 02:42   #9
UltraZelda64

I'm against this, personally. I hate when "the" is excluded when sorted alphabetically, and bands like "The Union Underground" are found in the U's (or another letter) instead of the T's. After all, what I'm thinking of when I decide to put "The Union Underground" on is just that, and if I called them "Union Underground" I most likely wouldn't put the word "the" in there to begin with. There, the problem would be solved before it even started.

I think they should go ahead make the change you requested, BUT add an option in the ML preferences to change the behavior of songs/artists beginning with certain words. Just because I know there are a lot of people who prefer the exclusion method when alphabetizing lists.

Edit: Sorry, didn't get to read through all the replies before I posted. Anyway, I agree with the exclusions idea, hopefully that gets implemented.
UltraZelda64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 03:08   #10
fermiparadox

i think the and a should always be included since they are part of the name..

what would happen to the bands

The Mars Volta and
Mars Volta?
fermiparadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2004, 08:44   #11
manu_xl

Yeah, this has to become a ML feature in the next winamp version.
manu_xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2004, 12:55   #12
manu_xl

Is this already changed in version 5.04?

thx in advance
Old 13th August 2004, 18:11   #13
manu_xl

is it difficult to insert an option to select the alphabetic order in media library? it would be nice if we can choose of "The beatles" or "the Beatles". Till now, the media library never treats the "the".

excuse me for my poor english

with regards
manu
Old 24th September 2005, 04:42   #14
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
Quote:
Originally posted by fermiparadox
i think the and a should always be included since they are part of the name..

what would happen to the bands

The Mars Volta and
Mars Volta?
They would still have their normal names, but they would be next to each other on the list.

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2005, 07:39   #15
qwert73

The most simple and elegant way to solve thet problem is to introduce the three tags "albumsortorder", "artistsortorder" and "titlesortorder" that are a part of the ID3V2 standard. So everybody would be free to create his own sorting. Not just the matter with "a" or "the" would be solved but also artist or title that begins with a number: "50 Cent" - could be: "artistsortorder"="Fifty Cent"
qwert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 15:07   #16
percy74

Great idea qwert73. That would also solve the problem of Bob Dylan being alphabatized under "B" when it should be filed under "D". I just wonder how many years it will be before someone decides to update id3 tags to include that feature.
percy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 06:21   #17
Katarsis

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigF
added at http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....threadid=64975
Quite an old thread I'm resurecting.

I don't see this feature in my dear 5.35

Any improvement on this?
Katarsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 22:13   #18
cadp2000

Woah this thread is old but huh... Posting in approval. And yes I know it's in the wishlist thread.

Since I've decided to use the Bento skin (which is awesome) I've been obliged to make use of the media library (which I had never used before). And while very nice now, I really don't like how it sorts certain artists (in the artist pane) that have "The" at the beginning of their names. I really wish it would let me choose the way it rearranges artist names.

Make it so. /Picard
cadp2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2007, 00:52   #19
BastardKidKris

Send a message via AIM to BastardKidKris
Quote:
Originally posted by percy74
Great idea qwert73. That would also solve the problem of Bob Dylan being alphabatized under "B" when it should be filed under "D". I just wonder how many years it will be before someone decides to update id3 tags to include that feature.
I concur.
BastardKidKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 17:04   #20
zeke7

This is a highly-individualistic preference (eg, see the one poster above who does want "The" included in the sort). In addition to words like "A" or "Los", there's non-alphanumeric characters like (, ", and # that could stand for sort exclusion:

-(Get Your Kicks On) Route 66
-"Tippy" - George Carlin
-#9 Dream

It seems the best way implement these specific-user preferences, if sortorder id3tags aren't feasible, is a menu where the individual user can enter the specific characters and phrases they want ignore. Put this menu in the Media Library Preferences.
zeke7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2007, 22:07   #21
GrantZ

I would like to have the option to either use the filter or not. It's not aesthetically pleasing to me when you see a "The" or "A" where everything should begin with lets say the letter C.

I hope it's possible to do this sometime?
GrantZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 10:33   #22
Havoc-Blast

A configurable word-filter would really be a great idea: everyone would be happy, both who wants to ignore articles and who wants to keep them. Also without any filter everyone could actually file their tracks as they wish: just by tagging "The Beatles" as "Beatles" or "Bob Dylan" as "Dylan, Bob" and so on, whereas a non configurable word-filter only works against those who want to keep the article where the group decided to put it (as I do).
Havoc-Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2008, 11:32   #23
Zoolook

Not wishing to be awkward, but suppose someone opts to ignore "The" in artist name... What would happen to a band called "The The"...?
Zoolook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2008, 14:11   #24
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoolook
Not wishing to be awkward, but suppose someone opts to ignore "The" in artist name... What would happen to a band called "The The"...?
Try it and find out. Answer: it will be sorted as "The".

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 23:42   #25
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
slim devices squeezecenter allows you to define what articles to use, and you can use none at all.

also, i assume it would be case insensitive.

one thing i think would make sense to differentiate on is what fields the terms are ignored on. you may want artist and album artist to ignore it, HOWEVER you may NOT want such terms ignored in the album field.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 08:42   #26
karl.ranseier

When I tag my mp3s I add "the", "a" and so on at the end of the artist name. Than I know the complete name and it is sorted very well.

If something is done on that idea, would be nice to think about an automation of putting those words at the end of the artist. It is much easier to read the library than.
karl.ranseier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 09:25   #27
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
maybe as an option... you couldn't just always do it, b/c if you did, you wouldn't know how the string is actually stored in the tag.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 09:18   #28
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by karl.ranseier
When I tag my mp3s I add "the", "a" and so on at the end of the artist name.
I really, really, REALLY hate that. But to each their own. I mean, it doesn't make sense, You read the bands name and think why put a the there? Rolling stones the? makes no sense. And why would I want to go to the end of the name to read the first word of the name? Surely it makes more sense to actually read left ot right (or right to left if that is your languages thing), than to read end-to-start?

Grr.
Paul_Bags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 17:19   #29
karl.ranseier

Ok, I seperate them with a ",". I don`t like that, too. But for me it`s the best compromise between well sorted and good readable librarys and the correct artist name.
I hate it more when always think "hey, why is there something with T in the folder of R...

But thank`s, that you agree to me in THIS case :-)

Last edited by karl.ranseier; 26th February 2009 at 18:20.
karl.ranseier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 18:05   #30
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

(whats the internet for if not opinions? [and I include 'blah blah, the' in my hate] )

After going on a tangent I should probably point out that I agree with the original idea for this thread, although I hate the media player and don't even install it

(man, I have a lot of hate these days...)
Paul_Bags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 01:21   #31
Thunder Pussy
Feed me a stray dog
(Major Dude)

To ignore the, a, los, etc.

%artist% IS "The Band in Question"

%album artist% IS "Band in Question"

Sort by album artist
Thunder Pussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 02:41   #32
Hakoona

I totally agree with adding an option for how you wish artists to be sorted with regards to "The" and "A".

Personally I prefer (muchly) to have the original "The" included at the beginning and sorted that way in the list as well. I remember when I first started adding artists to my library and went to look for them that it kind of messed me up at first until I got used to it (begrudgingly) being listed by the letter in the next word, eg. - The Cars located in the "C's" area. Quite frankly, it ... "perturbs" me. But don't worry, I'll continue getting over it.

It's each person's choice of course, but maybe I'm just a purist (if that's the right term). If a band wanted themselves to be known without "A" or "The" (A Flock Of Seagulls, The Cars, The Beatles, The Eagles, The Cure, The Killers, etc.) then they wouldn't have included "THE" in their name in the first place. I prefer to respect their correct name as they chose label it.

But the posters above are correct. For the sake of convenience and choice, we should all have options to sort and find what we want to listen to without having to be confused about where to find it.

Power to the people!
Long Live the Llama!

Hakoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist