Old 24th November 2003, 10:04   #1
Cyberwizzard

Make Winamp Dockable

Since the modern skin can be resized to a bar, why not make it dockable? Like dock at the top of the screen so its allways visible and other windows won't cover it but when maximized only touch the bottom.

And to prevent getting one heck of a docking frenzy, just make the main window dockable, the other windows should stay normal.
Cyberwizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2003, 14:56   #2
Singleton

I second that nomination - though i'm not a programmer, it seems like this would be more feasible than the taskbar control thing that windows media has (it's only nice feature, btw).
Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2003, 13:20   #3
Hottestbrain

ever thought about right-clicking, goto options and selct always on top... or simply press ctrl+a... Put the main window wherever you like and you've got a docked window... right??
Hottestbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2003, 15:08   #4
Zithromax

Send a message via AIM to Zithromax
not quite

A docked window will get it's own space on your desktop so if you maximize a program, it will not cover up your docked program or vice versa. If you ctrl+A Winamp then maximize another program, winamp will cover up your new program. If you're like me and you like winamp in compact mode at the top, it would then cover up your close, minimize, and restore down buttons. There was a thread where someone recommended a winamp plugin called xdock, but it didn't work correctly for me. I like the docking idea. I third that nomination.
Zithromax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2003, 20:40   #5
skinme!
Forum King

Simply have Winamp at the correct size so that it never covers up the min, max/restore, close buttons on always-on-top mode. Simple. I do it and it works fine.

He had decided to live forever, or die in the attempt
In America - a must see film
skinme! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2003, 11:46   #6
Zithromax

I only wish I had thought of that. It's so simple and yet..wait a second, I did do that and when I opened a game I saw WINAMP! Yeah, that is pretty close to how the docking should work. You see this is a wishlist and not a "you're not smart enough to think of this similar thing that I like" area. Winamp doesn't dock and we want it to dock. It may never make it in the program but we are voicing our opinions so there is a possiblity. Please, don't shoot down our dreams..our dreams of a better program.
Old 3rd December 2003, 11:50   #7
DrO

read this, seems to be what you need

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2003, 05:29   #8
Zithromax

As I mentioned before, I tried xdock and found it to be of unacceptable quality as it doesn't work. That was the exact thread where I heard of it. I'm still nominating the docking idea.
Old 18th December 2003, 10:58   #9
altimit

Send a message via AIM to altimit
Internal docking support (no thrid party crap) would be awesome. I love the modern skin mini-mode.
altimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2003, 11:20   #10
ilikeoranges

i love the idea, so long as its optional. if i dont want it to dock, i still might want to be able to move it around and have it stick to the edge of the screen.
ilikeoranges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2003, 20:50   #11
Veej007

i agree, xdock isn't too great. it does what it claims to, but i also like to dock my IM client and the two of them always have to battle for control. i can only have one of them docked at any given time.
Veej007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2004, 04:35   #12
Zithromax

Ohh, it's there. You guys are awesome. It's everything I hoped it could be.
Old 8th April 2004, 05:49   #13
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
Quote:
Originally posted by Veej007
i agree, xdock isn't too great. it does what it claims to, but i also like to dock my IM client and the two of them always have to battle for control. i can only have one of them docked at any given time.
i concur...i would really like to have both trillian and winamp on the screen but they do fight for space...would there be any way to make xdock read another docked program as the edge of the screen? i think that would be hard to do...
billyvnilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2004, 09:57   #14
DrO

from looking at the source of xdock which was made available a while back, it doesn't create a proper docking area (appbar) which is why there are issues with it.

i've had a go at some work on creating a new version that will work correctly as a real appbar for winamp but i need to do a little bit more work on it before it's *potentially* ready (ie it's not finished yet)

-daz
Old 9th April 2004, 02:41   #15
EdgeOfEpsilon

Send a message via ICQ to EdgeOfEpsilon Send a message via AIM to EdgeOfEpsilon
*blink* Oh my dude, DrO's at it again...

NOOO!!! Things are hard enough to find in his profile as-is!

Seriously, you're awesome. Explain again why Nullsoft hasn't hired you? Then all my plugins could say "Nullsoft" before them

sfx
EdgeOfEpsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2004, 06:56   #16
llldblll

eh, i think you guys need play aroung with winamp alittle more... the option IS there to dock the main window bar to the top or bottom of your srceen...
1) enter windowshade mode to convert main window to bar
2) right click >> windows setting >> docked toolbars >> select always ontop & docked to top...
llldblll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2004, 10:18   #17
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by llldblll
eh, i think you guys need play aroung with winamp alittle more... the option IS there to dock the main window bar to the top or bottom of your srceen...
2) right click >> windows setting >> docked toolbars >> select always ontop & docked to top...
er, have you tried it one a Classic skin? the docking option is only available for Modern skins which have been designed to use the feature whereas for the classic skins there is no native support.

EdgeOfEpsilon: hehe

-daz
Old 9th April 2004, 14:08   #18
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Quote:
theres a difference between what you are saying and what they are wanting...read *********'s posts
Old 10th April 2004, 00:31   #19
Veej007

so this plugin you're working on will give us docking in classic skins? you'd be my hero, dr o.

also, unrelated: i thought you had built a "delete to recycling bin" option into your playlist file remover... but even when i select "enable delete file option in playlist editor," i can't figure out how to delete to recycling bin instead of immediately...?
Old 11th April 2004, 12:33   #20
one3rd

Send a message via AIM to one3rd
Quote:

I think you need to see how old the thread is.
one3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2004, 03:45   #21
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by one3rd
I think you need to see how old the thread is.
er sorry what? the point was relevant so made sense to revive a thread after a few months of not being used.

----------------------------------------------

ok, here is a very early dev build of gen_appbar. it only deals with the main winamp window and partially holds the winamp window in the correct position with it assuming the winshade size for the appbar at the moment.

there's a fair bit more work to be done to it to hold the winamp window placement better and hopefully expand it to handle the other classic windows (playlist, eq, ml, video)

NOTE: this is an EARLY ALPHA RELEASE to prove it is coming along

-daz
Attached Files
File Type: zip gen_appbar.zip (2.0 KB, 464 views)
Old 15th April 2004, 05:38   #22
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

intersting affect...a big black box takes up an inch on the top of my screen.

looking forward to beta...good alpha tho

you are the best winamp plugin creator out there kutgw

[edit]main window works really well tho[/edit]
Old 15th April 2004, 11:59   #23
DrO

that's good, at least it didn't bring winamp and your machine to it's knees (did initially when i was getting the main code in place, hehe)

i'm going to push through with this one since now i've got a basic mode i want MORE (well for the main window to be correctly dealt with at least)

-daz
Old 15th April 2004, 14:43   #24
sheppaul

It may be just my problem to feel inconvenient with docking.

The Resolution of My desktop is 1280*1024.
After docking winamp, it's uneasy to click buttons located at the top left of the screen.

What about you?
Except for this one, docking is a damm good idea.

If it's possible not to stretch horizontally when docking winamp, it'll be more useful.
sheppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2004, 14:54   #25
DrO

i'm working on it at the moment (as i type) so it will dock the main window at the full size but yes i do agree it's a bit tricky to hit the buttons. the modern skin is better suited for this thing but hey my machine likes classic skins better

-daz
Old 19th April 2004, 10:38   #26
DrO

This was never going to be as easy as natively implementing the feature but here's my latest version of the plugin.
  1. Docks to all corners (though main window will be limited in later versions)
  2. Should re-init correctly on most skin changes
  3. Should re-init when winamp is started (can be a bit dodgy still)
  4. Integrated menu options like with the Modern skins
Note: it's not complete and changes to the taskbar positon and some of the winamp windows are not recognised/dealt with yet (e.g. set playlist to winshade when main window is docked) but it's usable to an extent now

Classic Skin Appbar v0.4.8

-daz
Old 20th April 2004, 00:21   #27
Veej007

good stuff, dro.

unfortunately it flips out and does several redraws every time i double click on winshade to expand it. also, strange things happen when expanding and collapsing the playlist...

and i realize this isn't really your problem, but the wincue window, which only docks to the main window, gets thrown about and ends up in the middle of the screen while the main windows stay at the edge.

keep up the good work.
Old 20th April 2004, 13:38   #28
DrO

i realise there are those issues.

with the winshade it needs to remove the appbar, let winamp do what it has to do andn then re-dock the window (i've not found the right way of overriding the messages just yet).

in fact, collapsing any of the other windows will mess with the window position and is all related to the internal docking/painting code so there's some more message handling i need to block/alter.

the wincue thing i think i know why that is (related to above). the whole thing is a major hack and i'm likely to re-do the code again so i control the exact position of the window all of the time and not part of the time.

-daz
Old 27th April 2004, 19:28   #29
UNIQHORN911

Whilst I hate to say it, WiMP does do it well, (minimising to taskbar with buttons on tab) can/will winamp do this.
it makes the whole process sooooo simple
UNIQHORN911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2004, 20:55   #30
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

Plugin Search: toolbar

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2004, 22:21   #31
UNIQHORN911

Yeah, great plug-ins as far as they go but not very interactive. What I am after is a plugin that creates a taskbar/toolbar that activates automatically on minimising winamp, closing all winamp windows.
Come on all you plugin masters, you must be able to come up with something similar
(apologies if I'm not seeing this somewhere already)
UNIQHORN911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist