Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 2nd May 2004, 15:16   #1
ThomasW

New version of M4P plugin (memory leak fixed)

There was indeed a memory leak in the plugin. It's now fixed. I'd be glad if you could try out the new version and tell me if you encounter any problems.
If everything's ok, I'll update the plugin on the official Winamp plugin page tomorrow.

Unzip to the %ProgramFiles%\Winamp\Plugins folder, and restart Winamp.

Note: This plugin requires iTunes/QuickTime to be installed.

Thanks,

Thomas
Attached Files
File Type: zip m4pplug.zip (29.8 KB, 90092 views)
ThomasW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2004, 19:02   #2
ThomasW

12 people downloaded the new plugin, noone complained, so I guess the plugin works
It can now be found on the Winamp plugin page.

Thanks for testing it!
Old 3rd May 2004, 19:45   #3
electricmime
Major Dude

maybe it totally destroyed their computers, and now they cant get on the message board to complain

There is no reset button on life... but the graphics kick ass
electricmime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2004, 20:34   #4
ThomasW

Oh my god!!
I didn't think of that!

Old 3rd May 2004, 20:41   #5
Kickboy12

Send a message via ICQ to Kickboy12 Send a message via AIM to Kickboy12 Send a message via Yahoo to Kickboy12
That's why we have people like electricmime

[@imho] man
[@imho] I had dreams about unit testing last night :-(
[@sim`a] i have nightmares about syntax errors, whats your point
Kickboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2004, 17:00   #6
hans-jürgen

Hi Thomas, I just found the threads about your plugins by chance with Google when looking for "m4b audio book", and now I wonder how exactly your plugins work. When I downloaded the attachment in this thread, the zipped EXE installer unpacked an in_tunes.dll, and the older version from Nov 2003 an in_zm4a.dll (probably the one with the memory leak). So these are both the same except for the version number and name, right? Do they use any source code from FAAD2, or is the actual decoding still done through the combination of the Nullsoft in_mp4.dll and in_mp3.dll? Your plugin only plays *.m4p and *.m4b files, and *.m4a files e.g. ripped with Winamp's AAC codec or other apps are also played with Nullsoft's DLLs, if the Audiocoding.com plugin is not installed?

The reason I'm asking is that I got interested in *.m4b files recently, because they can be encoded with FAAC and any application supporting its command line version, e.g. foobar2000's CLI interface or Audiograbber and CDex. Now I'm looking for players that can decode these files besides iTunes, since foobar2000 cannot do this yet, and the Audiocoding.com in_mp4.dll neither.
hans-jürgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2005, 00:21   #7
loosegroove

Hello, I have a question on how to use this plugin.

I want to use this plugin in an application but I can not get the plugin to work outside of WinAmp.

If I use WinAmp and open an iTunes Music Store (ITMS) file using this plugin, the song plays just fine. However, if I use the plugin in an application using the plugin, the song does not play.

I even try to use the program called "Winamp Input plugins example for BassWinAmp" and when I point the app to the WinAmp plugins directory, the in_tunes.dll plugin does not appear and it does not let me play ITMS files. I can play other audio files but not these.

I do have iTunes installed and it is authorized.

Thanks for the help.
loosegroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2005, 11:58   #8
Andreas E.

Heh ...
Well, this took a long time until I finally got a *.m4? file in my hands. (FWIW, it's Orwell's "1984" audio book in GERMAN version.)

It had a *.m4b ending, but it wasn't assigned. As I'm a guy eager to do some experiments, I did not assign but - just for test! - renamed it to *.m4a - and voilà, it WORKED! (lol)

(BTW: I do NOT have Thomas' plug-in installed but I'm merely using bog-standard winamp 5.08d. )

Well, I can't help it - it just worked.
The reason is simple: it *DID* prove to be a .M4A file, when looking at it with a hex editor:

....ftypM4A....M4A.mp42isom .... etc.

So everybody (especially Hans-Jürgen!), be bothered to just check the file with a hex editor - maybe it's not true .M4B, but simply got a wrong extension!
Andreas E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2005, 14:58   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Not if you purchase them from iTunes Music Store, which is what this plugin was originally designed for. All iTMS files are encrypted/protected .m4p crap.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2005, 23:01   #10
DoJe

Ok so I hope that no one minds me bringing this back up. But I am a bit confused. OK I'm not buying my .m4p's from iTunes. I RIPPED THEM FROM WINAMP PRO 5.08e. I selected the MP4 AAC v1.0 selection to rip to from winamp. Does this mean that as WINAMP rips in this format WINAMP then doesn't recognize it?? Should I just be ripping in the RAW AAC v1.0?? Do both of these versions have the same ID3 taggin features? I personally am looking into ripping all new music to .mp4 because isn't it just a better version of .MP3????

I hope that this makes sense.

Thanx in advance for your help,
-DoJe
DoJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2005, 04:37   #11
ivand67

BTW guys I wouldn't even bother with these plug-ins.

If you get anything off of iTunes, there's an app called JHymn that gets rid of the DRM and converts .M4P to WAV and then automatically to MP3.

It does it quick too.

http://hymn-project.org/jhymndoc/
ivand67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2005, 23:04   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by DoJe
OK I'm not buying my .m4p's from iTunes. I RIPPED THEM FROM WINAMP PRO 5.08e. I selected the MP4 AAC v1.0 selection to rip to from winamp. Does this mean that as WINAMP rips in this format WINAMP then doesn't recognize it?? Should I just be ripping in the RAW AAC v1.0?? Do both of these versions have the same ID3 taggin features? I personally am looking into ripping all new music to .mp4 because isn't it just a better version of .MP3????
This has got nothing to do with iTMS protected M4P files
and therefore you don't even need this plugin.

Winamp supports M4A (MP4 Audio) playback, straight out of the box. That's assuming you didn't uncheck support for it in the installer options, and that in_mp4.dll is present in the winamp\plugins folder.

MP3 and MP4 are two entirely different formats.
MP4 is NOT an updated version of MP3.
MP4 is just a container (like AVI or OGM).
The MP4 container can contain audio (usually aac) and/or audio & video.
MP4 doesn't use ID3 tags, though it does have its own tagging standard.
Raw AAC has no tagging standard, but Winamp uses id3 tags for it, 'cos it can :/

(something like that anyway, heh)

The Nullsoft in_mp4.dll is just a demuxer. This means that all it does is send the files in the MP4/M4A container to the relevant decoder. Winamp's MP4 AAC and Raw AAC Encoders both rip to Dolby lc-aac format, the only difference being that one is raw aac, and the other is raw aac in an mp4/m4a container.
The actual default AAC decoder in Winamp is the Nullsoft in_mp3.dll
So, if you've maybe installed some 3rd-party MP3 Decoder (eg. in_mpg123, in_mp3pro, or in_mad) then it's possible that you've disabled in_mp3.dll and therefore you no longer have any AAC playback support.

If relevant, then your options here are:

1) uninstall the 3rd-party mp3 input plugin, and restore the nullsoft in_mp3.dll

2) keep said 3rd-party mp3 plugin and install the 3rd-party Audiocoding in_mp4.dll.
With Winamp closed, unzip in_mp4.dll to the Winamp\Plugins dir (backup the Nullsoft in_mp4 first), then open Winamp and go to:
Prefs > Plugins > Input > Audiocoding.com MPEG-4 Player... (in_mp4.dll) > config
and checkmark "use for aac"

impo, MP4/M4A/AAC is badly overrated, and Lame_Enc --alt-preset standard mp3 is still the better option . . . or even better to use Ogg Vorbis or FLAC

The only AAC format I've been impressed with so far is AacPlus, but only from a streaming aspect (ie. high(er) quality at low bitrates).

[Edit --> Dec 2005]
Well, if gameplaya's gonna roll his eyes at me & quote me from 7 months ago (see below), I might as well post an update... I'm actually a lot more impressed with CodingTech's High Bitrate AAC/M4A Encoder, but that's a different story, heh.
Old 15th June 2005, 19:51   #13
75th Trombone

Send a message via ICQ to 75th Trombone
I recently updated to Winamp 5.09. I also recently updated to Quicktime 7. Now the iTunes plugin doesn't work. It acts like it's playing the file, the track progress bar ticks along normally, but there's zero volume.

Any idea what the problem is there?

Thanks,
SFT
75th Trombone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2005, 12:33   #14
Ylixia

Quote:
Originally posted by 75th Trombone
I recently updated to Winamp 5.09. I also recently updated to Quicktime 7. Now the iTunes plugin doesn't work. It acts like it's playing the file, the track progress bar ticks along normally, but there's zero volume.

Thanks,
SFT
Same problem here - if I'd read this post yesterday I wouldn't have updated QT

m4p tracks do still play, they're just ridiculously quiet. Due to the way I have my hifi wired up my Winamp volume is normally set at around 10%. I have to up it to 100% when playing m4p tracks and even then they're still not as loud as mp3 at 10% volume
Ylixia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2005, 12:44   #15
fuzzyhair

yes it works, the last one skipped and popped for me. Im glad this one is perfect. Thankyou
fuzzyhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2005, 04:38   #16
housecor

Quote:
Originally posted by 75th Trombone

Thanks,
SFT
Same problem here too. I tried uninstalling Quicktime 7 and installing QT 6 but that didn't fix the Winamp issue and broke iTunes6. Somehow I doubt Apple broke this by chance.
housecor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2005, 07:51   #17
eurocard

it works

until i find something, it works good !
thxs

eurocard
eurocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2005, 01:39   #18
housecor

EDIT>> Sorry, just tried reinstalling the latest version of the plugin and it works like a charm again! Couldn't be happier! So glad to have Winamp back.
Old 20th December 2005, 01:44   #19
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

According to eurocard, who posted only 3 days ago, the plugin still works. And according to the first post in the thread, the attached plugin has been downloaded over 65,500 times, and I don't see any of those people coming here to say it no longer works.

There's nothing to stop ThomasW from still developing the plugin, though alas the submitted version was removed from the winamp.com/plugins database due to some legal issues (apparently someone wasn't happy about winamp being able to play protected itms m4p files, or something along those lines).
Old 20th December 2005, 03:08   #20
gameplaya15143
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg (7 months ago)
impo, MP4/M4A/AAC is badly overrated, and Lame_Enc --alt-preset standard mp3 is still the better option . . . or even better to use Ogg Vorbis or FLAC

The only AAC format I've been impressed with so far is AacPlus, but only from a streaming aspect (ie. high(er) quality at low bitrates).
aac and mp3 are on par, vorbis is superior.. and you cant compare lossy to lossless (flac)

aac+sbr is good for streaming, i agree there, but its more like decent quality at low bitrates, i dont think 'high quality' is the right description

**downloaded plugin, i cant use it though (aint got no m4p junk), figured i'd just get it while i can
gameplaya15143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2005, 15:53   #21
kip2001

Send a message via AIM to kip2001
A couple of weeks ago this plugin stopped playing all my purchased iTunes songs, I re-installed it, the upgraded iTunes and Quicktime, tried re-installing winamp... but it still doesn't work, I double-click an iTunes song in my library and it just starts playing the next song that is not an iTunes song or randomly selects one if I'm on shuffle. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kip
kip2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2005, 16:18   #22
The Goat

It is probably because

1) You upgraded to iTunes 6 and bought a song, then authorized your computer (itunes 6 uses new encryption now)

or

2) The Plug-in only works for iTunes 4 and earlier

...most likely the first one
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2005, 18:06   #23
kip2001

Thanks, so is there anyway to get the songs to play now or do I have to use iTunes?
Old 26th December 2005, 22:10   #24
housecor

Quote:
Originally posted by kip2001
Thanks, so is there anyway to get the songs to play now or do I have to use iTunes?
I had to uninstall/reinstall itunes & quicktime then reinstall the winamp plugin to get it to work. I'm running itunes 6 and Winamp 5.11 and had the same problem as you until I did the above.
Old 28th December 2005, 00:30   #25
kip2001

Quote:
Originally posted by housecor
I had to uninstall/reinstall itunes & quicktime then reinstall the winamp plugin to get it to work. I'm running itunes 6 and Winamp 5.11 and had the same problem as you until I did the above.
I'm using the latest iTunes and Winamp 5.12 and just tried that... still doesn't work.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks,
Kip
Old 28th December 2005, 18:45   #26
kip2001

Ok, I fixed the problem, I used JHymn to convert all the files to mp3
Old 15th March 2006, 00:20   #27
moktoman

Send a message via AIM to moktoman Send a message via Yahoo to moktoman
WTF?
JHymn is said to not currently work with the new iTunes 6 encoding. How did you convert those files to MP3?
moktoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2006, 11:12   #28
Bodhi_UV

Caracters

Hi there,

this plug-in is just what I needed. Many thanks and huge congratulations.

I have got one question though:
artists like Tiësto and Röyksopp bought on ITMS (m4p) appears in Winamp like this:

Tiësto and Röyksopp as I don't want to edit them via Winamp, has anybody any suggestions to fix this ?

Thanks again
Bodhi_UV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 18:02   #29
kernelh4x0r

Quote:
Originally posted by moktoman
WTF?
JHymn is said to not currently work with the new iTunes 6 encoding. How did you convert those files to MP3?
Search google for QTFairUse6 ... should give you what you want, works with iTunes 6.0.4 and 6.0.5, removes DRM, leaves you with .m4a, which you can convert to .mp3 if you wish.
kernelh4x0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 03:11   #30
moktoman

Thank you God!

Quote:
Originally posted by kernelh4x0r
Search google for QTFairUse6 ... should give you what you want, works with iTunes 6.0.4 and 6.0.5, removes DRM, leaves you with .m4a, which you can convert to .mp3 if you wish.
kernelh4x0r, YOU ARE DA BOMB!!!
(excuse the old slang terminology, but it seemed so right...)
Thanks for the information!!
I am going to put that program to good use ASAP!!!
THANK YOU!!!
Old 16th September 2006, 01:35   #31
STanger

Send a message via AIM to STanger Send a message via Yahoo to STanger
I'm so glad that this plugin exists... iTunes 7 sucks it's got the 1GBram-itis like Vista..GET IT OFF GET IT OFF!!

<edit>m4p plugin works with iTunes 7.0.0.50 and quicktime 7.13..well it does for me anyways</edit>
STanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 01:43   #32
DJ Fe'Vo

Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Fe'Vo
This one is perfect thanx, it works great!
DJ Fe'Vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 02:27   #33
moktoman

Quote:
Originally posted by STanger
[B]I'm so glad that this plugin exists... iTunes 7 sucks it's got the 1GBram-itis like Vista.
Totally understandable.
More powerful programs and operating systems require more memory.
If you 1gb ram is more than you have, you may want to considered upgrading...
Old 16th September 2006, 12:32   #34
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Yeah but iTunes isn't very powerful, so the high RAM usage is a mess.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2006, 19:20   #35
STanger

actually it's all I got in this machine but I have another machine that doesn't have that bug.
Old 18th September 2006, 00:54   #36
fuzzyhair

A lot of people are having the iTunes bug. Something is wrong with it because it will randomly jump from about 7% to 100% on my computer, and that is when the skipping/studdering starts. I am actually really suprised Apple made such a crappy release.

Thank god for this plugin and Winamp.
fuzzyhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2006, 06:16   #37
STanger

oh the whole I'm just glad that doesn't happen to me very often..maybe once a day or so thankfully.
Old 20th July 2007, 06:02   #38
sobebongholio

is there anyway to remove drm w/o having itunes installed b/c i cant seem to install quicktime
sobebongholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 18:14   #39
William.D

Quote:
Originally posted by STanger
I'm so glad that this plugin exists... iTunes 7 sucks it's got the 1GBram-itis like Vista..GET IT OFF GET IT OFF!!

<edit>m4p plugin works with iTunes 7.0.0.50 and quicktime 7.13..well it does for me anyways</edit>
a bit off topic here but, I m surprised that people buy Vista at all. Micro$oft is way to greedy and to powerful, to give them even more money for a useless program like Vista. And since this activation key it is really annoying and unfair to costumer. XP is a real stepup compered to 98, which was more of a disaster than a OS. Instead of buying Vista buy a secondhand XP corporate edition, that doesn't need a activation key. very handy and fair use, that is if you really need windows. But a better option would be to try open source o.s based on UNIX/LINUX, if you never used Linux try dsl or dsln very funny small o.s that runs from your CD or memory stick.

William.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 04:32   #40
narfnarfsilly

Quote:
Originally posted by William.D
a bit off topic here but..
D'ya think?

This plugin works for me in terms of opening or playing .m4p files from a playlist in Winamp, but if I double-click a .m4p file in Windows I get trouble. It's registered with Winamp OK and Winamp opens up, but the file doesn't play, and displays funny characters in the title of the song. For example U2/Yahweh displays as Y?ahweh.

I also get a several second lag before it plays .m4p songs when it does.

You refer to the prophecy of the pastry that will bring balance to the Force. And you believe it's this.. donut?
narfnarfsilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion