Old 8th August 2004, 20:35   #601
beaverpants

Quote:
Originally posted by Kebabrov
Or... on double click of listview, find the selected song in winamp's playlist and play it (if not found.. enqueue and play it?)

You could put prev, play, pause, stop, next symbols on the bottom right of the DL (near the file/time count) [/B]
basicly that
Old 8th August 2004, 21:21   #602
Carno

Quote:
Originally posted by Joonas
Could you make a screenshot of this? I don't see it happen
/Joonas [/B]
Now that I get home & try to capture the screenshot the display error doesn't occur anymore. Go figure. Sorry for crying a false alarm.

Best,
M
Old 8th August 2004, 21:21   #603
Joonas
Forum King

Lot of ideas...most are a bit too large for v1.0 though...DL 1.0 won't become more than an extension of the Playlist. Sorry.

[edit]
I guess this "select the song if it's already in the playlist"-feature is something from Media Library? It acts strange for me though...if I select to play a file, really any file...it either doesn't add it at all to the Playlist or it adds all visible files to the playlist...strange. A bug in ML?

As for the same thing in DL...well it's more "Winampesque" to clear playlist on play than select a file that's already there no matter what ML does...but that's just my opinion? any others?

[/edit]

[edit2] Ah...I see it's an option in ML...strange option though...
[/edit2]

/Joonas
Old 8th August 2004, 21:29   #604
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
perhaps you should just build a music player joonas...around Dynamic library

Perhaps ppl should wait for extended playlist by DrO
Old 8th August 2004, 21:31   #605
Joonas
Forum King

Actually, I'd like to try building one of those too someday But I guess I can't beat DrO anyway

/Joonas
Old 8th August 2004, 21:38   #606
DrO

Quote:
I guess I can't beat DrO
no beating of me please, i'm too fragile

current builds are looking very good btw

-daz
Old 8th August 2004, 21:58   #607
Joonas
Forum King

Beat you up? Yes that might be the only way

Thanks for the encouragement...sometimes I think this will never be done so I can move on

This next release has some stability fixes ...hopefully it won't act up as much as before...

This version: Dynamic Library v0.9.1.3

/Joonas
Old 8th August 2004, 22:04   #608
DrO

Quote:
sometimes I think this will never be done so I can move on
i know that too well, i'm lined up for Winamp related projects for a good few years it looks like between jtfe, plex and another large project i'm starting on as well.

but credit where credit is due and DL has come on leaps and bounds which always feels good (had the same when jtfe went from just useable at 0.9 to what it is now and eventually will be)

and keep up the good work

-daz
Old 8th August 2004, 22:11   #609
moymike

Send a message via Yahoo to moymike
Quote:
That's bad...got some strange tags on some files? Try removing directories until you find the directory that cause the crash...

No...since the crash isn't that easy to catch...if I could just end one thread when it happens I could just as easily avoid the crash altogether ;/
/Joonas
v0.9.1.2d

"Read all tags in this folder" - still throwing me out of DL (95% of the time).

I have 4097 MP3's in a single directory. When DL opens, I'm showing 46 of them. When I right click and select read all tags, DL pops up the progress bar, and usually goes about 90 percent of the way across before the screen, the DL window disappears, and the screen flashes a few times. Winamp is still up, and I now get no Windows error messages. (as I did a few versions ago) At this point though, DL will not come back up when I hit Alt-D. I have found that if I open ML though, then Alt-D begins to work again.

*EDIT* The reason opening up ML allowed Alt-D to function again, is because Winamp lost focus when DL bombed. *

I tried it about 20 times with v0.9.1.2d, and it successfully read the tags about half the time the rest of the time DL crashed, Winamp remained up just fine. I found I then can Alt-D DL up again, and begin the "read all tags" again. This time the progress bar quickly moved to where it left off, then finished the job and completed the read of all the tags.

Hope this all makes sense.

I'm using WinXP Pro, Winamp 5.04 (modern skin). Only 2 plug-ins added... DL and Time restore/autoplay.

Oh, and one observation:

* Preferences / Warnings when about to perform potentially slow operations. Can this option be looked at when prompting for "Read all tags..."? Right now I get a "Are you sure..." confirmation box regardless of how I have this option set.
Old 9th August 2004, 04:53   #610
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by moymike
[B]v0.9.1.2d

"Read all tags in this folder" - still throwing me out of DL (95% of the time).

I have 4097 MP3's in a single directory. When DL opens, I'm showing 46 of them. When I right click and select read all tags, DL pops up the progress bar, and usually goes about 90 percent of the way across before the screen, the DL window disappears, and the screen flashes a few times. Winamp is still up, and I now get no Windows error messages. (as I did a few versions ago) At this point though, DL will not come back up when I hit Alt-D. I have found that if I open ML though, then Alt-D begins to work again.
Oh? It's just this you're talking about? No crash? This was one of the things I was hoping v0.9.1.3 would solve though...is it?

[edit]
As for the warning...well I guess I could hook it to the slow operations...
[/edit]

/Joonas
Old 9th August 2004, 05:44   #611
moymike

Quote:
Oh? It's just this you're talking about? No crash? This was one of the things I was hoping v0.9.1.3 would solve though...is it?
/Joonas
Just loaded v0.9.1.3 and still have same behavior.

I right clicked my main folder, selected "Read all tags..." and at about 70 percent the DL window closed and Winamp lost focus. I hit Alt-D and selected "Read all tags..." again, and the progress bar appeared at 70 percent and completed the job.
Old 9th August 2004, 06:31   #612
Joonas
Forum King

Dunno what the reason might be...does it happen if you divide your files into subfolders?

/Joonas
Old 9th August 2004, 13:04   #613
Kebabrov

Joonas, got me a bug:

If there is a folder that has a comma in it, it gives an error message.

e.g I have a root MP3s (that points to c:\MP3s). In there are subfolders:
Comedy,Funny
Drum n Bass, Garage
House, Trance, Techno
etc

When i do explore this folder, it says "the path 'Garage' does not exist..", or "the path 'Techno' does not exist...". So its looking for the final thing after the comma apparently.

When you run the 'explorer <folder path>' command, are you enclosing the foldername in double-quotes... e.g. explorer "<folderpath>"
Old 9th August 2004, 14:19   #614
moymike

Quote:
Dunno what the reason might be...does it happen if you divide your files into subfolders?

/Joonas
I created folders and split my 4100 mp3's between them. The "Read all tags.." no longer caused DL to close. Both subfolders are under the same root, and I can "Read all tags.." on the root, which appears to read all 4100 of them.

I then combined all the mp3's back into on folder again, and once again, DL can not "Read all tags...". It fails and closes DL before completing every time I try.

Lastly, I tried moving files between subfolders under the root. What I found is that DL will fail to read tags if I have 3657 files in any single folder. With 3656 files in a single folder, it works just fine. Just in case this was a memory issue, I loaded up a group of programs, and the 3656 / 3657 boundry did not change.

If you'd like, I can test this with any version change. At this point, I'd like to keep all my mp3's in a single folder.
Old 9th August 2004, 14:58   #615
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
Quote:
Originally posted by Kebabrov
Joonas, got me a bug:

confirmed.
Old 9th August 2004, 15:19   #616
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
If you'd like, I can test this with any version change. At this point, I'd like to keep all my mp3's in a single folder. [/B]
Of course...I never meant that you should have to keep the files divided...but that was excellent information. Hopefully I can recreate the bug on my computer now

Quote:
Fixed in the next release.

/Joonas
Old 9th August 2004, 16:11   #617
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
Just in case this was a memory issue, I loaded up a group of programs, and the 3656 / 3657 boundry did not change.
Hmm...3900 files went okay for me...how much RAM do you have in your machine?

/Joonas
Old 9th August 2004, 16:14   #618
Kebabrov

Joonas... may sound like a dumb question, are tags being read iteratively or recursively. It may be running out of stack space, rather than normal memory.
Old 9th August 2004, 16:20   #619
moymike

Quote:
Hmm...3900 files went okay for me...how much RAM do you have in your machine?

/Joonas
1 GB RAM... 3000 MHz machine... 160 GB HD with 120 GB free.

Windows XP/Pro .. running Winamp Modern
Old 9th August 2004, 16:28   #620
Joonas
Forum King

Strange strange...

[edit]
Apparently a modern skin issue...at least on my computer. Does it work better if you change to Classic?
[/edit]

/Joonas
Old 9th August 2004, 18:13   #621
moymike

I selected Classic skin, but DL won't come up on it for some reason.... ML does, and DL gets a checkmark if I select, but does not open.

Winamp (registered) ... any idea why DL isn't showing up in classic skin?
Old 9th August 2004, 18:14   #622
moymike

Found DL... way up on the left/top corner of my screen... now if I can only figure out how to grab the top/left corner of it to move it onto my screen.... :P
Old 9th August 2004, 18:19   #623
moymike

Docked Winamp to it and was able to move the DL window.

With Classic skin, "Read all tags..." works with 4097 files in a single directory without a problem.

With Modern skin, it does not work, if there are more then 3646 files in a single folder.
Old 9th August 2004, 18:45   #624
moymike

One last thing, in Classic, the "Read all tags..." with 4097 files in a folder will flash my screen, and the DL window also vanishes for a second, just like it does in Modern skin. The main difference is that on Classic skin, the DL window reappears.
Old 9th August 2004, 18:48   #625
jojo 544
Major Dude

Wow, it's going fast now, i was just 3 days away and 2 more pages to read on this thread and a lots of new changes

I like 'sort' and progress of reading tags, but i still think DL should keep reading all tags (of viewed folder) in the background by default, without having to slowly scrol down the whole window. Without all tag info, sorting is kind of useless (and also is the total time display)
If one doesn't like, uncheck read tags in prefs or maybe ad a cancel button next to the progressbar

Reading tags made also my DL window close (or invisible) by reading big folders.

Another sort problem: In DL 1:15 minute is bigger than 13:15 minutes

Where are the treeview playlists? i don't see them anymore

edit: playlists are there, didn't close and reopen DL after setting 'display playlist files as nodes' in prefs.

BTW what are nodes? english is not my natural langue
Old 9th August 2004, 20:20   #626
Joonas
Forum King

Yes I have some issues sometimes in Classic to with the blinking and disappear/coming back...I have no idea what causing it though...but I guess they are related. Will look at it when I have time...

Also...sorting in the background might be a disabled feature...

[edit]
I fixed a memory leak and on my computer the reading came through without any problem...hopefully that was all there was...if not I'll look more at it tomorrow.

Test this release: Dynamic Library v0.9.1.4

It also has the fix for "Explore"

[/edit]

/Joonas
Old 10th August 2004, 02:20   #627
moymike

Quote:
I fixed a memory leak and on my computer the reading came through without any problem...hopefully that was all there was...if not I'll look more at it tomorrow.

Test this release: Dynamic Library v0.9.1.4
/Joonas
I downloaded this version, and it now reads 4100 mp3's on the modern skin without closing the DL window. Very nice...

The version ctrl-P says v0.9.1.3 though.

Any chance that the "read all tags..." will become a "slow operation" for the warning flag?

I still like the idea of the sort thread not tieing up the machine while it's going. Maybe that's something that can be looked into when DL is nearing completion.

I have not played with the playlist support in DL yet. This seems to me to be the LARGEST thing missing in ML. If DL gave support to file moving and renaming, while keeping all the playlists up-to-date... then DL would become the ML killer.

I currently have a couple of 100 broken playlists because of pathing changes and filename changes. For all I know, DL helps some in this regard, or someday may. I am NOT suggesting DL fix already broken playlist, only keep them updated when moves and renames take place WITHIN DL.

Just my 2 cents....
Old 10th August 2004, 10:55   #628
jojo 544
Major Dude

Quote:
when DL is nearing completion.
Not so long ago i thought that was about to happen...
Now i'm getting the impression that the developement has just begun

Quote:
If DL gave support to file moving and renaming, while keeping all the playlists up-to-date... then DL would become the ML killer.

Quote:
I am NOT suggesting DL fix already broken playlist,
But what if it could do that also
Old 10th August 2004, 11:28   #629
Joonas
Forum King

Hey! don't get any ideas...we're about to close v1.0 input soon
But I am pretty sure there will be a later version...so we'll put this idea in a pretty box for safekeeping

/Joonas
Old 10th August 2004, 14:15   #630
Joonas
Forum King

* Info field wasn't updated when removing all nodes...fixed now.
* Restored free browsing while reading tags...this is a test. Does it cause crashes?
* Read tags warning is now hooked to the Warn for possible slow operations...guess it's not too slow on a high-end machine?
* Another attempt at sorting nodes for some people...

This version: v0.9.0.5

/Joonas
Old 10th August 2004, 16:34   #631
jojo 544
Major Dude

It took 17:47 minutes to read all tags in my main music folder (9835 files), during that time i did some serioux browsing, selecting, enqueing, mode switching; but i couldn't get it to crash (yet )

Another thought;
Why not make it 'dynamic' in different degrees, i mean the reading of tags:
1)viewed window (=immediately loading tag info,)
2)rest of the viewed folder that isn't scrolled through yet
3)all other folders
where 1) had always priority 2nd and 3th will be pauzed while doing other actions to keep dl from using to much cpu. Maybe also ad a second progress bar, one for 'viewed folder' progres, and another for the 'all-tag reading' progress, (i like the bar, makes it flash some more)

Nice thing is you could immedeately start using DL and winamp player, while in the background, after playing a couple of songs, without having to wait for it, all info will be loaded (wich increase the amount of posible future options/new features to work), upgrades the sort and total time function, and still will be (even more)dynamic.

BTW, sorting time collum still isn't correct f.e. 1:00 minute > 12:00 minutes.

(edit) Sorting tree playlists is back to 'mixed between folders on alphabetical order' instead of grouped playlists - folders (i still prefer folders on top, but no big deal if they only could just get back to bottom)

Last edited by jojo 544; 10th August 2004 at 16:52.
Old 10th August 2004, 18:19   #632
Joonas
Forum King

* Fixed sort bug
* Sort for playlist nodes are fixed - do you want them in the top or at the bottom? Can do both now
* Read tags thread is now set to much less priority making it read in the background but when DL or anything else wants to do something it yields...test it! See if it works...

This version: Dynamic Library v0.9.1.6

(Of course the last one was 0.9.1.5 but I lost a 1 there...)

/Joonas
Old 10th August 2004, 19:24   #633
Carno

Looks good, works well, can't make it crash when browsing while reading all tags, enqueueing or doing anything else with it & there are 25,000 songs loaded. Excellent.
Old 10th August 2004, 19:37   #634
Kebabrov

Yo joonas looking good.
but......
I've found a big crashing bug that i can repeat. When its reading all tags in the folder, click and drag the scrollbar quite far, really quickly (about the same speed as a fast double-click). It may crash the first time, if it doesnt do it again until it does. It may do the usual 'this program caused an illegal operation' or it may just make winamp loop forever (100% CPU usage)
Old 10th August 2004, 19:49   #635
Joonas
Forum King

Unfortunately I can't repeat it...

Many folders? Many files?

/Joonas
Old 10th August 2004, 20:22   #636
Joonas
Forum King

Well I've tried to make the reading even more secure...dunno if it makes a difference since I can't repeat your crash bug...but here it comes:

This version: Dynamic Library v0.9.1.6b

/Joonas
Old 10th August 2004, 22:01   #637
jojo 544
Major Dude

Quote:
* Fixed sort bug
* Sort for playlist nodes are fixed - do you want them in the top or at the bottom? Can do both now
* Read tags thread is now set to much less priority making it read in the background but when DL or anything else wants to do something it yields...test it! See if it works...
*Time's sorting nice
*Folders on top like in windows seems more logic to me, if not, so be it
*Reading tags in background? no, i don't see it, but i'm probably missing something...

Still no crashes so far i realy did my best, even with the scrolbar
Old 10th August 2004, 22:03   #638
AsHopeDies

Could you add multiple select to the treeview ?
Old 10th August 2004, 22:07   #639
Joonas
Forum King

Quote:
*Reading tags in background? no, i don't see it, but i'm probably missing something...
Not in background no...but if you choose Read tags it will work in the background and yield (give up its timeslot in the CPU) if any other thread (for example Winamp or the DL GUI) wants to do anything...

Quote:
Could you add multiple select to the treeview ?
Nope, too much of a hassle

/Joonas
Old 10th August 2004, 22:21   #640
Kebabrov

Do treeviews even allow multiselect?

It happens when i select the root, and DL is set to show files in subfolders too. (it has about 4000 MP3s inside it)
It still does it... a bit less than before. You really have to throw the scrollbar about a lot now. Had a few crashes doing simple things like switching to Search mode and scrolling in search mode
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development