Old 12th October 2004, 03:30   #1
pink5

can't load SKINS

I just upgraded to version 5 and downloaded the Mozart classic skin and it didn't change automatically. I made sure it downloaded to the right fold and it's in the Winamp-Skins folder. Yet when I have Winamp open and click Skin Browser, it doesn't show up as being an installed available skin to load.

So I tried downloading another skin, the water enhancer skin and that's not in my Winamp-Skins folder so I don't know where that went? I tried searching my computer for water and nothing came up.

I'm running Windows XP, Pentinum 4 CPU 2.00GHz and 256MB of RAM, SB! Live wave device. If there are any othe specs you need, please tell me how to find it?

Thanks!
pink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2004, 03:39   #2
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Read my response in this thread for an answer.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2004, 03:44   #3
pink5

I saw that thread before and I am using IE but the file extention for Mozart on my computer is sz.
Old 12th October 2004, 04:02   #4
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

You meant to say .wsz and not .sz - right? Okay... just for you I went and downloaded the Mozart -fx05- classic skin from winamp.com. I am assuming that is the skin you downloaded, and that is where you downloaded it from. Right? You never said. Anyway, it's working perfectly for me, same as any "older" classic skin not updated for Winamp 5 would (no skinning of the Media Library, JTFE or Preferences in such an old skin).

Skins Explanation...

Skins downloaded from Winamp.com are of 2 types - Classic (files with a .wsz extension), and Modern (files with a .wal extension). They are both compressed formats but are not to be unarchived (unzipped), and there is no "installation" required. Just download a skin and place it directly within your \Winamp\Skins folder on your hard drive. Next time you start Winamp, that/those skins will be selectable.

Now, if you are still having a problem, first CLOSE Winamp, then download the skin directly to your \Winamp\Skins folder. Then reopen Winamp, and the skin will be selectable.

--> I also suggest that you install DrO's Skins In Submenu plugin, to separate the Classic from the Modern skins in submenus.
Old 12th October 2004, 04:08   #5
pink5

Yes that is where I downloaded it from (isn't that gold so pretty!) but as soon as I click on the download button I get a pop-up window that says do you want to save or open mozart.sz (not.wsz)
Old 12th October 2004, 04:16   #6
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Well that's your problem then. It's being downloaded and saved by the Internet Explorer browser as mozart.sz and not mozart.wsz, and Winamp has no idea what an .sz file is. There is no such animal. Close Winamp. Browse to your skins folder and rename any classic skins that erroneously downloaded with an .sz extension to a .wsz extension. Reopen Winamp again. Winamp will now see the skins and they'll be selectable.

Look... you should really stop using the Internet Explorer browser. It's BUGGY - plain and simple.

Again, I'll reference part of my post in that initial thread I linked to...
Quote:
The thing to do to avoid all this is to completely stop using the slow, sluggish and buggy Internet Explorer browser and to instead download and start using a "real" browser - Mozilla Firefox. You'll never experience IE browser download problems again if instead you use Firefox with it's intuitive built-in download manager, and you'll also have a speedy, full-featured browser that will make browsing more efficient than ever before. I use Firefox and everyone I speak to who tries it will never ever even consider touching the problem-prone Internet Explorer browser again.
Old 12th October 2004, 04:22   #7
pink5

How do I change the extention? I tried renaming it with the .wsz but that only changed the name and the extention is the same.

I'll look into Mozilla, I've been told in the past to use Netscape but that's so slow!
Old 12th October 2004, 04:32   #8
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Well, now I guess by what you just said above that in your case, Windows is set NOT to show file extensions, and that needs to be changed. You never told me what Windows operating system you are running, because the procedure varies from op sys to op sys.

Regardless, consult this page > Configuring Windows To Show Extensions and follow the procedure for whatever operating system you are running.
Quote:
I'll look into Mozilla, I've been told in the past to use Netscape but that's so slow!
LOL! I'm not talkin' Netscape... I'm not talkin' just any old Mozilla browser either. I'm talkin' Mozilla Firefox - a speedy and efficient browser. With Firefox your Winamp skins (and anything else for that matter) will download correctly. There's no erroneous MIME file type guessing, as happens with the IE browser. Firefox has a very intuitive built-in download manager. AND... Firefox browser is completely skinnable. The skins are referred to as "themes". Some really cool themes too.

Finally, the topping on the cake....
You can control Winamp directly through the Firefox browser > FoxyTunes

Screenshot of my Firefox browser current configuration, using the Noia 2.0 Extreme Theme (skin), and also showing the Winamp player controls on the status bar at the bottom of the browser.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
Old 12th October 2004, 04:41   #9
pink5

Quote:
You never told me what Windows operating system you are running, because the procedure varies from op sys to op sys.
I did in my first post.

I never said you were talking about Netscape. I'm download the firefox now but it's going to take an hour.
Old 12th October 2004, 04:45   #10
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Quote:
I did in my first post.
Sorry. Yes you did - WinXP. My bad. Too much typing on my part fogged my brain I guess.

An hour? Firefox setup file is 4.5mb in size. Takes less than 30 seconds to download for me with my cable connection. Are you on dial-up? Regardless, it's worth the wait!

Okay, we're done now...
Happy Winamping! Happy Firefoxing!
Old 3rd October 2007, 02:26   #11
vchavez

I downloaded a skin with name Windows Live WinAmp but contains only files and folder? I put the folder of the skin the folder contains: Player, Scripts, Window, XML, skin.xml

Any idea ?
vchavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 04:41   #12
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

First, do you realize that you just replied to a thread that was last posted to 3 years ago?

Regardless, the files you listed above are valid "skin" files and are located within the skin's "container"... basically a compressed file, similar to a ZIP file, but with a .wal extension for modern skins, or a .wsz extension for classic skins.

Please provide the exact URL to where you obtained this "Windows Live WinAmp" skin from. I found no such named or similarly named skin in the skins database. So, where did you get this skin? Please provide a working link.

I'll also quote myself from my 3-year old post above, since it still applies...
Quote:
Originally posted by Nunzio390
Skins Explanation...

Skins downloaded from Winamp.com are of 2 types - Classic (files with a .wsz extension), and Modern (files with a .wal extension). They are both compressed formats but are not to be unarchived (unzipped), and there is no "installation" required. Just download a skin and place it directly within your \Winamp\Skins folder on your hard drive. Next time you start Winamp, that/those skins will be selectable.

ORB Remote Broadcast

Old 3rd October 2007, 17:15   #13
vchavez

Nunzio390 here are the skins so you can download them:

h**p://www.sendspace.com/file/k6ggn3
vchavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 02:07   #14
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

OK...

There are the contents of 2 skins in that RAR file, that extract into 2 separate "container" folders. You need to then take the extracted contents of each folder, and then add them to individual ZIP files, and name them appropriately...

Examples:
Windows Live Winamp.zip
Windows Live Winamp - compact.zip

You can then move those 2 ZIP files into your \Winamp\skins folder. Then, both skins will be selectable after you reopen Winamp.

*Note: they are both very old skins and many Winamp windows are NOT skinned, and will revert to the Winamp default skin display. As a matter of fact, I saw that only the Winamp main window and playlist editor are skinned. The author (if you can find him) needs to work on skinning the remaining Winamp components (eg: video, media library, etc.)

ORB Remote Broadcast

Old 17th January 2008, 00:32   #15
Hal9000_5

Need help?

I have downloaded skins to winamp but winamp wouldn't use them. i have downloaded the skins into winamp skins folder and tried to open when winamp was close and when winamp open it stayed at the classic skin. Need help?

Also i am using Firefox and newest version of winamp. i meet all system requirments.

Hal
Hal9000_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 12:07   #16
JonnyMac

Skins usually should automatically install to Winamp upon downloading. Are you having problems with Modern (.wal) skins? Only Winamp Full, Bundle or Pro supports Modern (.wal) skins. However, Pro is not required for Modern skin support Winamp Full does support modern skins. See the following post...
Issues with "Auto-installing"/Downloading Skins
Another possibility is a recent skin database issue at Winamp.com caused a very small handful of skin files to be corrupted. Give or take a few days this occurred from about September through November (of 2007). Are you noticing this with some skins published about that time? If so, please provide a link or two. If the skins you are trying to download are from that time, you might be able to find copies at some of the third party skin collection sites...1001 Winamp Skins and/or deviantART would probably be the best bets.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 14:51   #17
JonnyMac

Hello Hal9000_5

Was it an issue with the corrupted skins or something else? Please satisfy my curiosity, also it would be helpful to know so we can better address the issue should another user have a similar question.
Old 31st January 2008, 12:09   #18
Medicus

Shame on me!!!
Unbelievable, I read all your threads about this issue a thousand times and did the same mistake all along. I' m such an idiot. Needless to say, I was not capable to install the full version but the lite one. So, the problem is solved now. Hope you have not spent much of your precious time in my foolish request. Sorry for that.

Last edited by Medicus; 31st January 2008 at 13:34.
Medicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 12:53   #19
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
[edit] Sorry, wrong tab.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 13:36   #20
JonnyMac

If it is just modern skins that has the issue, it sounds like modern skin support was accidentally not installed (or uninstalled). Try reinstalling Winamp with the Full version of Winamp and make sure 'Modern Skin Support' is checkmarked/selected under 'User Interface Extensions' in page four (Choose Components) of the installer options.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support