Old 25th January 2005, 12:41   #1
dav1129

CD Reader Plugin by Vladimir Kopjov

I used to use Vladimir Kopjov's CD Reader Plugin with Winamp 2.xx and loved it.

Having forgotten about it for a while I recently installed it in Winamp 5.xx.

Does anyone know if it meant to work with Winamp 5.xx because when as the plugin requires you to do, you "turn" Winamp's native CD Reader in_cdda.dll "off" by renaming it I have notice two things:

1. A CD or DVD drive previously available from the "Play" menu when you right click Winamp's main window; and

2. All devices no longer show or appear in Winamp's media library and so ripping a CD directly from the media library (without using a plugin) is no longer possible.

Can anyone confirm this behaviour or explain what to or if I have done anything I shouldn't have?

Many thanks for your interest and any replies....
dav1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 13:06   #2
ujay
Forum King

1. This is expected behaviour. The plugin was broken with the changes in the Winamp v5 series(v2.9 onwards) and can now only be used from the 'Explorer' interface(<Shift + Click> on the 'Open file(s)' button). A consequence of this is that you will not be able to play 'enhanced' CDs.

2.I don't use the Media Library, but presumably for the same reason as above.

It should not be necessary to use this plugin with Winamp any more unless you need to use freedb or some other feature missing from Winamp.
Use the default Winamp plugin (in_cdda.dll) and enable Digital Audio Extraction instead.

I have always used both the Winamp plugin and CDReader, and despite the warnings have never had a problem running them side by side. I use the <Shift click> for normal CDs and the 'Play' menu for enhanced.
You could try this but no guarrantee you won't hit problems.

Windows2000 with Adaptec ASPI 4.71.2.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 13:24   #3
dav1129

Hi UJ,
Wow thanks for your interest and quick post.

Sounds like you might might be a little more technically advanced than me. I am not sure I get all what you're trying to tell me.

In 1. which plugin was broken? the native Winamp CD Reader or the other?
Because with "in_cdda.dll" as it should be i.e "on", the "Audio CD 'x' (x being the drive letter) still appears from the right click "Play" menu even in Winamp 5.0

Secondly what is an enhanced CD, I have embarrassingly, no idea!

And 2. I have just discover and am still discovering Winamp's media library and the ripping features available from when an optical CD or DVD device is selected (but which dissappears when in_cdda.dll is "turned off" or renamed.

The only reason I am trying the CD Reader Plugin again is because it is required for the MP3 Output Plugin by Chun-Yu Shei which in turn requires in_cdda.dll to be turned off.

A case maybe of not be able to have your cake and too maybe?
Old 25th January 2005, 14:19   #4
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Nullsoft's in_cdda.dll needs to be present/turned on in order for Winamp's CD Ripping features to work.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 14:25   #5
ujay
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by dav1129
...A case maybe of not be able to have your cake and [eat it] too maybe?
You hit the nail right on the head

Sorry about that, I'm so familiar with these things that I forget others arn't.

When Winamp moved to the v5 series there were changes made to the in_cdda.dll(Winamp's native plugin) so that it could perform Digital Audio Extraction. This is a superior method of reading CDs and the main reason, up until then, that people had previously used CDReader. These changes have meant that CDReader no longer appears in the main Play menu. It appears that Copah is no longer developing this plugin and it has never been updated to fix this.

With Winamp v5 there is no longer a need for the CDReader plugin unless there are other reasons not connected with DAE.

An 'enhanced' CD is one that has added content, small videos or picture galleries of the band etc.
These play correctly in a domestic CD player, but on a computer will only show the non-audio content if accessed from the 'Explorer' interface. This is why you have to use the Play menu for such CDs.

To clarify

in_cdda.dll will play from either the Explorer interface or the Play menu.
in_CDReader.dll will only play from the Explorer interface

If you manage to run them together successfully then in_cdda.dll will handle CDs from the Play menu and in_CDReader will handle CDs from the Explorer interface.

in_cdda.dll is required for ripping and burning.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 14:27   #6
dav1129

Hi Nunzio390,
Thanks for your reply and explanation.
So it is a case of not be able to have your cake and eating it too?
Either in_cdda.dll or MP3 Output Plugin (by Chun-Yu Shei) which requires CD Reader (by Vladimir Kopjov) and in_cdda.dll to be turned off, BUT not both?
Old 25th January 2005, 14:41   #7
dav1129

Thanks Nunzio and thanks UJ,

Thanks for the heads up. I understand.

So I guess I will stick Winamp's native in_cdda.dll.

Except this MP3 Output Plugin (by Chun-Yu Shei) which some many are raving about needs the CD Reader Plug-in AND therefore in_cdda.dll to be turned off.

Is the MP3 encoder which can be accessed from the media library|CD Ripping Preferences just as good?

All clear
Old 25th January 2005, 14:51   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Just to confirm...

All those posts/comments which refer to MP3 Output plugins needing the CDReader plugin all relate to Winamp 2.8x and earlier.

As from Winamp 2.90 and onwards, the default Nullsoft in_cdda.dll plugin supports Digital Audio Extraction, and therefore the CDReader plugin is no longer required.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 14:59   #9
dav1129

DJ Egg,

Thanks

Just to confirm...so just as the CDReader plugin is no longer required, is the MP3 Output plugin no longer required?
Old 25th January 2005, 15:01   #10
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally posted by dav1129
Thanks Nunzio and thanks UJ,

Thanks for the heads up. I understand.

So I guess I will stick Winamp's native in_cdda.dll.

Except this MP3 Output Plugin (by Chun-Yu Shei) which some many are raving about needs the CD Reader Plug-in AND therefore in_cdda.dll to be turned off.

Is the MP3 encoder which can be accessed from the media library|CD Ripping Preferences just as good?
It's better.

Chun Yu's plugin is completely outdated, if you want an easy to use mp3 output plugin try the latest version of out_lame.

The only plugin that can be used to produce mp3s of higher quality at certain bitrates than possible with the built-in encoder (if you know what you're doing) is Jasper van de Gronde's File Writer when used with lame.exe from eg. rarewares, as you can use all of lame's command line options with it (like -V 5 --athaa-sensitivity 1 for best quality at ~128kbps*).

*use only with lame 3.95-3.96.1, not with 3.90.3!
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2005, 21:42   #11
dav1129

ripping mp3pro in Winamp

Thanks UJ, Thanks Nunzio, Thanks DJ Egg and Thanks gaedwad2.

You've all been really helpful. Nice community.

By the way is ripping mp3pro from within Winamp (as you can from within Nero) is out of the question?

I read somewhere (here on a forum) I think that no, not likely and mp3pros aren't what they're cracked up to be anyway.

Is that right?

Last edited by dav1129; 25th January 2005 at 22:01.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support