Old 12th April 2005, 07:34   #1
bubbleman

Before I finally give up on Winamp...

...has anybody conquered the 'won't remember preferences' issue, ever? I've tried everything.

None of the fixes suggested in the forums have worked, nor has anything else I've tried, and believe me, I've tried damn near everything imaginable!

I use Winamp a lot, and have since version 1.something, but it's just become TOO annoying having to reset my preferences every time I start the damn app.

I want to give Winamp one last try: has anybody ever fixed this problem permanently?

Thanks folks.
bubbleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2005, 07:58   #2
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
I and millions of other Winamp users never have a problem with preferences saving, as long as...
  1. Windows isn't arbitrarily setting Winamp's files/folders to read-only (a Windows problem - not a Winamp problem)
  2. You always remember to properly close Winamp each time (because that is when preferences are saved)
  3. You are not trying to run Winamp on a limited user account and have administrative rights
  4. You haven't installed any buggy/dodgy 3rd-party plugins/skins into Winamp after having performed a clean install
  5. And there are other issues, not the fault of Winamp specifically but I'll end what I have to say here, and instead...
JonnyMac pretty much covers what I've already mentioned and much more (including Settings not being saved when installed to default directory) in...
this post

After you've read the above linked-to post and also followed all suggestions and links provided, you should never have this preferences saving "problem" again.

But... if for any reason you still claim that you are experiencing the problem after having followed all suggestions and links provided in JonnyMac's post, then...
  1. What's your Windows OS?
  2. Provide us with all other relevant system specs
  3. What version of Winamp are you running?
  4. Is it a clean install?
  5. Have you installed any extra 3rd-party plugins which don't come with the default Winamp distribution, and if so, what have you added? (3rd-party is anything you may have later added that is not included in this component list.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support