Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 7th November 2005, 12:11   #41
DrO

problem found with the editor and i'll be able to fix this when i get home (i've got old early dev code on my work machine where i was able to test the issue out on )
i'm not too sure why it fails though (will have to look into that a bit more). error internally from windows is ERROR_RESOURCE_DATA_NOT_FOUND so not too sure why the hinstance the app is passed is incorrect (freaky windows api)

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2005, 20:11   #42
DrO

v0.7a of the editor uploaded now

-daz
Old 8th November 2005, 10:18   #43
Urzumph

Hey DrO, 0.7a works great! Thanks a heap.
Urzumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2005, 17:25   #44
sacharja

Hm, I hope the multi-user support can fully be deactivated. Don´t wanna have zillion versions of ini's/folders etc. even if set one-user in setup (like it appears in Opera atm).
sacharja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2005, 17:34   #45
DrO

don't have a paths.ini file in the winamp directory and it is fully disabled

-daz
Old 12th November 2005, 10:02   #46
oneweb

The paths editor is now working, thanks!

There seems to be an issue though between what shows as paths under the CSIDL lookup and what's used.

For example (WinXPsp2) I had {13} for the m3udir which shows in the editor UI as D:\Documents and Settings\-\NetHood, when in fact it's saving to D:\Documents and Settings\-\My Documents\My Music.

I used the {d} value which the editor lists as D:\Documents and Settings\-\My Documents\My Music but is in fact D:\Documents and Settings\-\Desktop.

Also, there's no confirm to overwrite the existing ini file but otherwise the whole multi-user feature is fantastic!
oneweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2005, 10:35   #47
DrO

i'll check that issue out over the next few days oneweb and will add in a overwrite prompt (hadn't thought about that as well as a warning for the auto-delete option there is when all of the entries are unchecked)

-daz
Old 13th November 2005, 14:58   #48
DrO

v0.8 of the editor uploaded
should fix/support the points raised by oneweb

-daz
Old 29th November 2005, 13:42   #49
oneweb

Brilliant

Winamp defaults to the classic skin and basic settings if no user files are found, will it be possible to give the option of setting new users up based on defaults automatically? (user runs winamp as single user to config the necessary files which are then copied to new users' profiles automatically as the batch file does currently.)

Also, EQ presets disappear in a multi-user config. Which file needs to be copied from the prog dir?
Old 30th November 2005, 21:40   #50
redxii

How are you setting it up?

Here's mine:
[Winamp]
inidir=%appdata%\Winamp
m3udir=%appdata%\Winamp
cwd=%appdata%\Winamp

No problems saving EQ presets, closing Winamp, and opening the preset. I don't have write access to C:\Program Files\Winamp, so it can't be saving it there.
redxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2005, 21:43   #51
DrO

for an already setup install you'd need to copy winamp.q1 (and winamp.q2 if you have auto-presets setup) and then things will work correctly from there.

as soon as i get time i'll be adding in the ability to copy the required files into the created profile folder (with settings backup as needed just incase )

-daz
Old 30th November 2005, 22:10   #52
oneweb

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
for an already setup install you'd need to copy winamp.q1 (and winamp.q2 if you have auto-presets setup) and then things will work correctly from there.
Works perfectly, thanks! The copyprofile.bat doesn't include that file hence the prob.
Old 1st December 2005, 01:56   #53
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Dang it, daz, your PM box is full. Empty it, like now.
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2005, 05:55   #54
redxii

ok so this is my setup:

[Winamp]
inidir=%appdata%\Winamp
m3udir=%appdata%\Winamp
cwd=%appdata%\Winamp

When I installed 5.12 I had to install it as admin (cuz i'm not admin). When it launched after installing, it ran as admin and it created C:\Winamp for the administrator account. I first ran it in multi-user in my account and it successfully went to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Winamp and still continues to do so.

I ran FileMon and when it queries paths.ini and goes straight to creating C:\Winamp under the admin account. There's no attempt to see if "Winamp" in the app data folder exists or write there.

If I do the reverse with the accounts, the administrator account successfully goes to the app data folder, and when I run it under a different account it writes to C:\Winamp. (did this in my virtual machine)

It also happens in 5.112

Last edited by redxii; 13th December 2005 at 06:10.
redxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2006, 16:43   #55
shepard

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Yeah, we know about all the plugins and workarounds.
This is all about native multi-user support.

Hopefully, 1) it'll be completed in time for 5.12 or 5.2 (whatever the next release version # is)
This thread has been dormant for over a month, now and 5.12 is out. Does anyone know if the native multi-user functionality is still planned?

Thanks.
shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2006, 16:46   #56
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

It's already in there, as from 5.11

Sticky: Multi-user profile support in Winamp 5.11+

It's been completed for 5.13 and there'll be an option for it in the installer.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2006, 16:54   #57
shepard

Thanks - I know about the work around using the program by daz. The installer option is what I meant. I have recommended Winamp to a few people who want to try it. They have multi users on one computer and want it to happen either automatically or with a simple check box, like it does in other software programs. People get real sensitive about a brother or sister having access to their music library, and some don't want to go through the additional steps of using something like daz wrote, even though it does work!
Old 20th January 2006, 17:01   #58
DrO

that's because some are too lazy

-daz
Old 20th January 2006, 17:20   #59
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

For 5.11 to 5.12, all you need to do is manually create a paths.ini file with Notepad, with the following text in it:

[Winamp]
inidir={26}\Winamp

and place it in the Winamp root folder,
and then all users' settings will be saved to
C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Winamp\

in other words, the above process will be automated when you select "separate settings per user account" in the 5.13+ installer options.
Old 20th January 2006, 20:20   #60
shepard

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
that's because some are too lazy

-daz
Ouch. ..Some people are just not used to doing anything remotely technical with their computers. That being said, I understand what you mean and am glad I posted because DJ Egg's response reminded me how easy it was to make it work when I did it on my computer. So I just did it now for someone else on their computer. Now each user just has to get Winamp set back up the way they like it, point it to THEIR OWN music files, and everyone should be happy.

Thanks, as usual!
Old 20th January 2006, 21:04   #61
shepard

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the previous version of gen_ml.ini? When putting in the multi user paths.ini file, a new, clean, Winamp profile is set up. I am trying to see if there is any way to get back a couple of playlists for someone that were in the previous set up for all users. I assume they would be noted in the old gen_ml.ini.

If not, it's easy to recreate these couple, but anyone doing this multi user fix with lots of big playlists, would want to consider before hand.
Old 20th January 2006, 21:58   #62
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

The old gen_ml.ini will still be there in the Winamp\Plugins dir

and the saved playlist files will still be there in the Winamp\Plugins\ml dir

eg. plfE8A7.m3u
(they all follow the plf****.m3u naming convention)

So... if you look in gen_ml.ini at the relevant lines, eg.

query14_name=Main Playlist
query14_val=plfBBF9.m3u
query14_mode=32
query14_meta=met4B37.vmd

You'll now know that the data for the old ml entry for a playlist named "Main Playlist" is contained in the files plfBBF9.m3u and met4B37.vmd

So copy the relevant files over, and edit in the lines into the new gen_ml.ini (query14 is a variable, where 14 should be one number higher than whatever the last query # is in your gen_ml.ini)

and all should be well (afaik, the ml playlists use absolute paths, so all the links should still be valid).
Old 20th January 2006, 23:16   #63
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

you could just copy the entire gen_ml.ini file and entire ml directory over to the %appdata%\Winamp\Plugins folder
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2006, 23:38   #64
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yup, that'd probably be the easier solution... assuming the individual user wants to have the exact same ml database and all the exact same playlists that were in the old single-user winamp setup...
Old 21st January 2006, 00:06   #65
shepard

Thanks - I'll try the latter as for this user the music is all the same and the playlist would just be what was previously there.
Old 21st January 2006, 00:36   #66
shepard

Did it and it worked like a charm. Thanks.
Old 21st January 2006, 20:09   #67
shepard

Another question. There are other files in the old Winamp>Plugins directory. Like the ml_iPod, gen_yar and others. Should the whole folder be copied to each new identity? Or is it best to reinstall each that are wanted for each individual identity?

Thanks.
Old 21st January 2006, 20:13   #68
DrO

as long as those plugins support the multi-user handling then copying their files should work ok. it really depends on the age of the plugin and which of the 5.x apis (if at all) they use for getting the location of winamp.ini and other related file/folder paths.

the majority of old and quite a proportion of new plugins will not correctly follow things. any native winamp plugins will work (and any devs who've followed things/correctly used the 5.x apis should be fine as well)

-daz
Old 21st January 2006, 20:32   #69
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hmmm... are we talking about the actual plugins (dll files) or just their respective config files?

The actual dll's must still be installed to where Winamp is installed, eg.
C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins\

gen_yar saves it settings in winamp\plugin.ini

Currently, plugin.ini isn't supported in the multi-user setup

So the only option there would either be for the gen_yar plugin author to update the plugin so it saves to winamp.ini, or you use DrO's in_trouble plugin workaround method... which if you don't know about then I'll leave it to him to explain.

Alas, I don't have an iPod so I don't know what config file ml_ipod saves its setting to, heh.
Old 21st January 2006, 20:58   #70
shepard

Well, the iPod plugin seems to work fine so far. The copy playlist menu item for gen_yar is there, but I have not tried it yet.

The one that for sure is not working now and is really missed is the plugin that re-starts music called "Time Restore & Autoplay. I believe this is one of DrO's great programs? Should it be able to work in the multi user setup? I also looked at DrO's site to see what the in_trouble plugin was and could not find it. Am I missing it, or is it somewhere else?

Thanks.
Old 21st January 2006, 21:06   #71
DrO

with Time Restore & Autoplay, it should work but upgrading to 2.0 beta 2 will definitely be fine.

in_trouble has not been released yet since i need to make it user-friendly unless people are happy re-naming the offending plugins to <plugin name>.trb and renaming the in_trouble dll to <plugin name>.dll the aim is to get things for in_trouble finished around the time of 5.13 being official, maybe a bit afterwards

-daz
Old 21st January 2006, 21:24   #72
shepard

I just downloaded and installed the 2.0 Beta and it works fine now. Thanks. I bet that after the multi user setup, I just did not reconfigure everything I should have on the 1.85 version of Time Restore. But at least I now have the latest version. This one would be hard to do without.

Thanks!
Old 19th April 2007, 03:13   #73
WINO

sure i'm digging up an old thread, but the posters in here seem helpful.

I want to be able to use winamp in all my different user accts, but I want them all to be able to share.

ie: if I leave my music on (playing), someone else can go in their acct, open winamp, and the same screen that was on mine will come up.

Right now if I log into another account, the music in my acct plays in the background, but I can open up another winamp.

What I want is for the winamp in the active user acct to either pick up where a background one is ( same song, same settings, same plugins), or to automatically mute the inactive one.

Any ideas?
WINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 06:27   #74
Gertschi

@WINO: You can use my plugin "Support for Fast User Switching" (http://www.gerhard-schlager.at/projects/winamp/) which can stop or pause Winamp when somebody else logs in. Just try it out.

[edit]That spam protection hides the URL. Please press the quote button to see the link. Sorry.[/edit]
Gertschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 08:43   #75
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

I suppose you could just install Winamp to the Shared Documents dir?

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Winamp

and then set the inidir in paths.ini to:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Winamp

paths.ini

[Winamp]
inidir={35}\Winamp

More info here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=259461
Old 30th April 2007, 19:48   #76
WINO

Thanks for the plugin gertschi, it's working for now. Is there anyway to make it so that all users share the same settings, without doing a fresh install??
WINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 12:50   #77
DrO

An almighty bump from the past and i've now updated the PathsIni editor to v1.0 (see the changelog from http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=36).

-daz
Old 18th March 2015, 19:30   #78
wtfwtfwtfwtf

An ancient thread... I found it just now searching for info on how to get a single installation of Winamp (5.666) to use different settings (including media paths, history, etc) depending on which Windows user (in W7 and W8.1) is currently signed in.

I have not read every post in the thread, because some of the technical issues are beyond me, and because it is older than both W7 and W8.

I've played around a bit based on Benski's OP, quotes below, but haven't gotten it to work. But I'm hoping someone who sees this can point me in the right direction.

Viva Winamp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benski View Post
I'm currently adding multi-user profile support for Winamp 5.11 (not yet released as of this post). I'd like to hear from users on what additional features might be necessary.

Here's how it works so far. On load-up, Winamp reads from "paths.ini" which will be located in the same folder as winamp.exe. This ini file has four entries
inidir: overrides where Winamp and plugins store their data files.
m3udir: overrides where Winamp will store its playlist.
inifile: overrides the name of "winamp.ini"
class: overrides the Winamp class name (like the /class= commandline switch)

When Winamp reads paths.ini, it will expand environment variables and CSIDLs. Environment variables should be surrounded by %, and CSIDLs surrounded by {}'s.
A list of CSIDLs can be found at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.85%29.aspx
Please note that paths.ini requires the decimal value of each of these, while MSDN lists the hexadecimal value.

An example paths.ini would be
[Winamp]
inidir={26}\Winamp
inifile=%USERNAME%.ini
m3udir={13}
class=Winamp_%USERNAME%

Which would make winamp and plugins store their data in C:\Documents and Settings\Benski\Application Data\Winamp, the inifile be called Benski.ini, the playlist saved in My Music, and the winamp instance to be uniquely identified as Winamp_Benski

Note that the install will create a default paths.ini, so most users won't have to mess with this. However, it can be customized to meet other needs.

Comments? Suggestions?

-benski
wtfwtfwtfwtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 15:41   #79
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Holy hell this is an ancient thread.

It should work "out of the box" with different settings for different users. It's been that way for almost 10 years ...

If it's not working for you, I would suggesting removing the entire "C:\program files (x86)\winamp" folder and re-installing. If you had installed a very old version of Winamp and tried to upgrade over top of it, it might have left the old settings.
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion