Old 25th January 2006, 16:27   #41
SailorMax

update bug with hang up winamp with milkdrop:
no need lock the Windows! Just pause playng on x minutes. After continue playing winamp hang up on ~x/3 minutes

about not saved milkdrop settings - understandably.
Old 25th January 2006, 16:34   #42
Pawel

Send a message via ICQ to Pawel
Hi

Quote:
Originally posted by doodle2
Don't know if I'm the only one having this problem, but ID3v2 recognition for foreign languages seems b0rked.
I have the same problem. There are no Polish (Poland) characters in ID3v2 Tag.
But, when I click "Copy from ID3v1" button and "Update" button playlist item looks good (in id3v2 box too).
Old 25th January 2006, 16:42   #43
doodle2

Quote:
Originally posted by PepeSoft
Hi

I have the same problem. There are no Polish (Poland) characters in ID3v2 Tag.
But, when I click "Copy from ID3v1" button and "Update" button playlist item looks good (in id3v2 box too).
Good, then we have it confirmed. Now, all we need to do is wait until it's fixed
Old 25th January 2006, 16:44   #44
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

I should point out, to get gapless playback to work well, you should set "buffer ahead on track change" to about 500ms. This is the new default value, but if you installed over top of an old Winamp version, it might still be set to 0.

SailorMax: If Winamp crashes, settings aren't saved. Think of it as a safety mechanism - if you find a combination of settings that causes a crash, it won't be permanently saved.

The reason for the uppercase letters in the playlist winshade - Latin letters with underhang (g, j, etc) were being cut off. The space available for the playlist songname is slightly smaller than the space available for the main window songname

djsolidsnake86: thanks for the report. In some places in Winamp, track length is measured in milliseconds, in others, seconds. in_midi must have returned a length in milliseconds when it should have returned a length in seconds (hence it'd be 1000 times longer than it's supposed to be

doodle2: The main problem is that older versions of Winamp were storing non-latin characters incorrectly. Winamp 5.2 beta is behaving "correctly", but the tags in your files are incorrect (which is old Winamp's fault). However, I will add support to detect and read the old tags, so nobody has to re-tag anything
Old 25th January 2006, 17:38   #45
SailorMax

2Benski: It not crash! just:
1) open configure window (of milkdrop)
2) change something
3) press "Ok"
4) open configure window
new settings not saved

I see now. but:
Preferences / Use skin or language pack font = on. Why it work only for list of playlist-window? Why not for playlist winshade?
Old 25th January 2006, 17:47   #46
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

SailorMax: I'll look into the milkdrop config stuff. Some changes were made to support multi-user profiles, so it's possible that something broke.

The playlist winshade font will follow the font settings if it can. Since the classic skin winshade has a predetermined size, the font chooser will pick a separate font if the chosen one cannot be created with a specific pixel size.
Old 25th January 2006, 17:50   #47
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Want to give a big thank you to mrym for (again) helping advise and test international character support in Winamp.
Old 25th January 2006, 18:18   #48
BadServo

AutoFill Disabled?

Great release guys, it's really shaping up. Of most interest to me was teh new ml-PMP functionality. However, I can't seem to get it to work correctly with my PlaysForSure device. For reference it's an IRiver U10. I upgraded my current Winamp installation to the new release, and removed the IPOD and CREATIVE portions of the plugin fromt eh preferences panel.

The Media Library can see my player and correctly reports if available space. I can delete songs fine and send songs to it fine from my local Media Library. Syncing also appears to work correctly.

The trouble is with Autofill. No matter what I do, or what options I set within the Autofill options, I always get the message "This will add 0 tracks and delete 0 tracks. Do you want to continue?".

Any advise would be much appreciated.
Old 25th January 2006, 18:25   #49
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

BadServo: afaik, that's a known issue and is already fixed for the next beta.
Old 25th January 2006, 18:35   #50
Mr.orgus

Just an off topic question here:
does winamp use any regestery settings ?
I would like to copy the winamp folder to a new pc (I'm doing this because I have to create an unattended Windows for school)

also, is there any chance there will be a completely silent installer in the future ?

thx in advance!
Old 25th January 2006, 18:39   #51
BadServo

Ah, glad to hear it. Thanks for the info DJ. With WMP being the default meathod of transferring songs to MTP devices, having integration with my existing WinAmp Library will be a godsend. WMP takes to many liberties with my files.
Old 25th January 2006, 18:42   #52
doodle2

Quote:
Originally posted by Benski

doodle2: The main problem is that older versions of Winamp were storing non-latin characters incorrectly. Winamp 5.2 beta is behaving "correctly", but the tags in your files are incorrect (which is old Winamp's fault). However, I will add support to detect and read the old tags, so nobody has to re-tag anything
Don't mean to be petty, but I think that's more of a workaround rather than really solving the problem, now is it?

I also wanted to say that *some* tags were not saved by Winamp, but by various tagging software (mp3tag, just to name one), and it still has that problem. So it can't really be Winamp's tag editor "fault".

How about some function/program/plugin to convert the tags?
Old 25th January 2006, 18:42   #53
reedermw

Send a message via AIM to reedermw
Single window UI

Perhaps this isn't the best place to pose this question, but has there been any consideration of adopting a single window UI for a future release similar to the excellent "Nullsoft_Media_Player_10" by Pieter Nieuwoudt? The WinAmp5 Modern artwork could be applied to it to create a skin with the WinAmp5 look or perhaps we could convince Pieter to create one for us. The functionality of his skin is really amazing. As cool as multiple windows are, they can be confusing for some people. Particularly the detached video window where alt-tab won't select it. You have to move windows around to find it. I have been following the SingleGUI thread for a year now and just discovered Pieter's skin which appears to eclipse it at least in terms of functionality. Hey Pieter--I don't suppose you would be willing to take the SingeGUI skin and make it work like your WMP10 skin?

Great work guys on WA 5.2 beta. The new extensible device support sounds great!
Old 25th January 2006, 19:07   #54
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by doodle2
Don't mean to be petty, but I think that's more of a workaround rather than really solving the problem, now is it?

I also wanted to say that *some* tags were not saved by Winamp, but by various tagging software (mp3tag, just to name one), and it still has that problem. So it can't really be Winamp's tag editor "fault".

How about some function/program/plugin to convert the tags?
Sure it's just a workaround. It's also likely that other taggers purposefully have the same "bug" so that tags will show up correctly in Winamp. The ID3v2 specs says that text must either be encoded in Unicode (which Winamp 5.2 uses), or ISO-8859-1 (commonly called Latin-1). In your case, the tags are probably stored in ISO-8859-8 (Hebrew) which is your system default. There are is no encoding identification stored in ID3 other than "unicode" or "not unicode".

The fix that I'm proposing would read non-Unicode tags with your system default, but store new/updated tags in Unicode, so the probably doesn't have to keep re-occuring
Old 25th January 2006, 22:01   #55
konan

Re: Single window UI

Quote:
Originally posted by reedermw
Perhaps this isn't the best place to pose this question, but has there been any consideration of adopting a single window UI for a future release similar to the excellent "Nullsoft_Media_Player_10" by Pieter Nieuwoudt? The WinAmp5 Modern artwork could be applied to it to create a skin with the WinAmp5 look or perhaps we could convince Pieter to create one for us. The functionality of his skin is really amazing. As cool as multiple windows are, they can be confusing for some people. Particularly the detached video window where alt-tab won't select it. You have to move windows around to find it. I have been following the SingleGUI thread for a year now and just discovered Pieter's skin which appears to eclipse it at least in terms of functionality. Hey Pieter--I don't suppose you would be willing to take the SingeGUI skin and make it work like your WMP10 skin?

Great work guys on WA 5.2 beta. The new extensible device support sounds great!
I would also like to see other skins like WMP10 by Pieter. It doesn't use much resources and it's loaded with extra features. I've been using Winamp since version 2.10 or something and I use it ever since, but this skin is the one of few Modern Skins that I really like!

P.S. If anyone knows: is iRiver iFP-799 inclued in PlayForSure?
Old 25th January 2006, 22:03   #56
jnagel

I'm still having problems with my Portables menu. The actual ml_pmp plugin seems to be loading fine but the individual "pmp_*" plugins (ipod, etc) aren't loading and don't appear in the list under the "Portables" menu in preferences.

I find it somewhat weird that no one else is having this problem, but I'd appreciate some followup on it nonetheless. Help me out here...

Beyond that, the new features are looking good so far...

Jack Nagel
Old 25th January 2006, 22:09   #57
ctkatz8086

iriver models are included because it recognises my h20.

problem is that it doesn't recognize many of my tracks. i would say that it was due to the fact that i use another program to sort my stuff other than iriver+ or wmp 10 and i use it in ums mode where the computer assigns the player a drive letter as a normal drive, but it recognises some of the things but not all.

for reference, i have over 2300 mp3 files and the plugin recognises maybe 350 or so.

Old 25th January 2006, 22:30   #58
BadServo

As far as I'm aware, the IFP-799 doesn't support PlaysForSure. PFS is a relatively new standard and the T-series is teh first of the IRiver flash players to support it. It's possible thay upgraded the firmware to add compatibility at some point, but I can't say for sure.

If your in the market for a nice PFS compatible device, the U10 is an AMAZING player, and the T10 is also a spectaculat unit, and somewhat cheaper.
Old 25th January 2006, 22:44   #59
YtseJam
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to YtseJam Send a message via AIM to YtseJam
eeek! I just noticed this! Now why would my PL look like that? :\

Old 25th January 2006, 22:48   #60
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Right-to-left support gone wrong?
Old 25th January 2006, 22:52   #61
YtseJam
Forum King

Well I also assume it is related, somehow, to my location and OS settings, however... The content of the playlist is English and not RTLed text.

Yeah, something went wrong.

Old 25th January 2006, 22:54   #62
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

You can turn off RTL text in Prefs->Playlist
Old 25th January 2006, 23:00   #63
YtseJam
Forum King

Hm, didn't notice that there. Must be new.

So okay, this will fix it for my "English playlists" but what if I then want to load a playlist that is a "Hebrew playlist"? It'll show up like in previous Winamp versions...

Basicly, the automatic detection shouldn't be based on my locale settings, as it obviously doing the wrong thing for "English playlists".

How about adding a 4th automatic detection option to scan the playlist on-load and choose the correct display mode rather then relying on locale settings (which can't read a user's mind)?

Old 25th January 2006, 23:28   #64
GhostMouse

Maybe put in the options of playlist Left middle and Right how to see the names songs in the playlist
Old 26th January 2006, 00:08   #65
amano
Major Dude

Just tested the true gapless MP3 support and find it to work fine. Great job, guys :thumbs up:

Test yourself:
Sample Part 1: http://foobar2000.org/gapless/part1.mp3
Sample Part 2: http://foobar2000.org/gapless/part2.mp3

If you here a blip in between there is no true gapless support as in older WA versions.

eeeee eeeeeee eeeee eeeee eeeee
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
8eee8 8e 8 8 8eee8 8e 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8eee8
Old 26th January 2006, 00:16   #66
Wizard of OS

Send a message via ICQ to Wizard of OS
iPod support

hey folks,

I can confirm that iPod support w/ build 359 does not work, at least here.

there is no "portable devices" point in the preference menu whatsoever.
I had to install ml_ipod again.

where's the flaw?
my fault, some in winamp?

bye
Old 26th January 2006, 00:23   #67
mikm
Major Dude

Are you sure you downloaded the package that includes device support and checked the options that adds portable device support when installing?