Old 23rd February 2006, 17:13   #1
JamieD

Winamp has Spyware built in ?

I see Winamp 5.2 now has Spyware built in

remember the uprising about WMP unique ID (also known as a supercookie), seems its back but this time its in Winamp

this little snippet reveals all

sWid = oWaOMedia.GetUniqueID;
and..
oWaOMedia.OmSerialNumber();

from the JS libary that executes wether you have JS disabled from the preferences or not

http://www.winamp.com/bin/winamp_js_lib.js

nice that they put a no-right click function in there just in case you fancied peeking.

document.oncontextmenu = new Function("return false");

also note that there is an Omniture webbug (made famous by Verisign) in all of the html displayed in the Media libary (singing fish as well) along with its super comprehensive tracking script that again cannot be disabled
http://o.aolcdn.com/omniuni.js

perhaps its time to firewall off Winamp and add it to the hostile sites list which would be a shame as i thought it could be trusted, perhaps i was just too nieve.
JamieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 17:20   #2
Tag
Streaming Media Expert

Send a message via AIM to Tag
Simply remove Online Services from the media library, or uncheck it on install.

Powered by Redbull and Progressive House
Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 17:28   #3
Tag
Streaming Media Expert

Send a message via AIM to Tag
Btw, OmSerialNumber is how we know that you have the same subscription table as what's on winamp.com - this is how we stay in sync. This is not sinister at all..

oWaOMedia.GetUniqueID is a string we grab from ml_online.ini ... it is unique at install...
If you dont like this, you can edit it and make it WA-Nothanks or something. But don't make it too unique, because then you're back to where you started.

Powered by Redbull and Progressive House
Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 17:32   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Tinfoil hat syndrome methinks.
There's no spyware in Winamp.
Like Tag says, if you don't want free video and audio streams, then uncheck Online Services in the installer options.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 18:08   #5
JamieD

thanks for your replies, i understand its simply a case of "let us track you or dont use our services"
i can understand that,
be nice if this was made a bit more clear on install so people would be aware of the privacy ramifications especially as Omniture webbugs and their history is involved

i dont think its tin foil hattish to be concerned about privacy, after all i just wanted a good MP3 player not a marketing and behavioural advertising application (especially one that i payed money for) and of course if everything was above board why use a no-right-click script in the first place? if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear from people digging through your code right?, seems rather underhanded tactics, also why add a disable JS/ActiveX preference if it doesnt work (never mind basing the browser on an embedded MSIE with all of its security problems).

being a Winamp user from 1.0 i trusted Nullsoft wouldnt ever abuse the trust that i/we have placed in your app, but when i see NRC scripts and 3rd party webbugs along with the facility to extract GUID's that trust starts to wane and once lost is very hard to regain.

statements like
if you don't want free video and audio streams, then uncheck Online Services in the installer options.
"Free" as in "you pay for it with your privacy" doesnt inspire me with confidence

regards
JamieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 18:40   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

What I was trying to say is that the short ads which precede the AOL & Winamp Music & Video streams are what pays for us to be able view those streams in the first place. If you are at all concerned about using said technology then by all means you should uncheck those views from the Online Media root view (there's no ads with Shoutcast TV or Radio). However, you shouldn't be concerned because there's nothing to be concerned about. If there was then even we wouldn't be using Winamp.

No privacy is infringed whatsoever. There is nothing sinister or underhand.

Right-click menus are disabled because we don't want to see Internet Explorer context menus in Winamp, and especially seeing as most of them didn't even work. Those menus were still in right up until the last 5.2 public beta, and it was the users who requested that they be removed, so the devs complied.

Also note that by paying for Winamp Pro all you paid for was fullspeed ripping & burning, and to unlock the MP3 and Hi-Bitrate AAC+ Encoders. There's nowhere where it says that it will also remove the ads which precede the (optional) free video streams (for sure, it would be nice though, heh).

Tbh, I think you're barking up the wrong tree and causing a fuss over nothing my friend.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 14:09   #7
eco w

im not shure if im posting in the right place but is this why winamp uses my credit on my 3 dongle its driving me mad
eco w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 16:13   #8
ujay
Forum King

Not really eco.
I'm not even sure what your query is, maybe others will understand what you mean.

If you can explain more clearly what this is about one of the mods will be able to split it off into it's own thread.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 16:56   #9
DrO

maybe eco is referring to the pages using up [his] data allocation.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion