Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 22nd February 2006, 02:53   #1
IllBugYou

5.2 shoutcast browser poll

so what does everyone think of the new shoutcast browser
Old 22nd February 2006, 03:15   #2
vob

My primary reason for using winamp is its media library and shoutcast support. what a disappointment the new shoutcast browser is. It's slow, unresponsive, requires more steps to find what you want. This format is ok for other stuff like XM radio or AOL video, but not for shoutcast. There's a lot available genres and it would work much better as old drop down list, plus no more convenient sorting capabilites.

very dissapointed

How about providing an option for users to choose old or new style browser?
Old 22nd February 2006, 03:33   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

[Edit]

Please read this first before posting

...and this post too

[/Edit]

So you want to go back to being limited to a list of the top 1000 streams only?
I know for sure that I don't :/

There's over 13,000 sc radio streams available to you in the new browser.

And it's not slow or unresponsive for me, so maybe there's a problem with your Internet Explorer or something? All results appear almost instantly for me, even the larger Quick Genres.

However, I do kinda agree about the sc-tv listing. Seeing as there's only 300 or so tv streams, I guess it would be nice to be able to see a full list, or at least maybe the full list split over eg. 3 pages (<< 1 | 2 | 3 >>), heh.

But hey, as it's all controlled serverside, and is still a work in progress, subject to change at any time, then who knows what is possible or what will happen...

For example, Listener Count was actually still in/displayed in the earlier betas, but was removed. I guess it would be quite easy to add it back in (though we're not gonna make it so it sorts by 'popularity' by default), and I guess it would be quite easy to add "Bookmark" to the rt-click context menu for Shoutcast Radio & TV, etc etc.
And all this can be done serverside, with no client updates required.

[edit] re: posts below: how many of you are actually trying to broadcast a shoutcast station and get some listeners? My guess is none of you ;-) [/edit]

Or you could just edit ml_online.ini and add a link to shoutcast.com (see attachment)

[Edit]

Please read this first before posting

...and this post too

Attached Images
File Type: png browser.png (78.5 KB, 2758 views)
Old 22nd February 2006, 03:56   #4
l_j_a_y_l

Send a message via AIM to l_j_a_y_l
I hate it
I can't find the stations that i used too listen too.

Is there someway that i'm missing how to get the most popular streams at the moment?

Same with the tv, theres no programs there. I dont like
Old 22nd February 2006, 04:26   #5
ctkatz8086

i had my stream settings limited to 1500 and it pulled them all in until it was changed recently serverside. but what i am most dissapointed in is that these streams are listed by genre only and it effectively kills how i search for songs or any content using the quick search. i would rather see everything and trim out the fat with the quick search than weed through genres. there are some streams that list one genre and play something not even that genre. the previous setup was a much faster way of finding things for me than what's available now.

Old 22nd February 2006, 05:02   #6
denilson3

Send a message via AIM to denilson3 Send a message via Yahoo to denilson3
i like it, but i think there should be a sort by "popularity" next to the name, type and bitrate.

i'm sure you already know this but sometimes the frame that displays the above info goes missing.
Old 22nd February 2006, 05:29   #7
ujay
Forum King

If you're interested in the sort of thing DJEgg showed in his screenshot, here's one I prepared earlier

You can set it up to do pretty much any search you want on the main Shoutcast page. It still won't be the same as the old browser, but it may suit some of you better.

Download and unzip somewhere on your hard drive.

UJ
Attached Files
File Type: zip ujay.zip (19.6 KB, 1798 views)
Old 22nd February 2006, 05:29   #8
peaceofcake

Hate it, and not just because it's new. The media library handles tens of thousands of entries just fine and is easier to read because all the data is in one row, at the least please switch back to that. I'm not really interested in looking at different interfaces for essentially doing the same thing, I'll use WMP for that.

It would be really cool if you guys could reprogram the entire media library to load data from multiple data sources. The ml_pmp plugin would be a data source, a directory tree plugin would be a data source, and each online media (shoutcast, aol radio, etc) would be a data source. Each data source would be an xml or similar file containing the various fields and that's it. Absolutely no information on how to present these fields would be contained in the data sources. To handle that, there would be seperate, locally stored files preloaded with defaults that would instruct the media library how to sort the various data sources. They would specify which colums to display, which ones to sort on, how often to querry for new info (online info every 10 minutes, local every second), and so on. You could still use html to present the data, just make that a new type of view and provide the approproate templates to handle the source(s) you plan on presenting.

The advantages of this are
-interface consistancy
-can search ALL sources at once if they're all combined into one smart view
-adcanced users can mix and match sources with querries, this is an easy way to discover new music
-easy for plugin developers to feed info to the library. Just write a file containing the info and tell the ml to read the file (or talk directly, whichever is best). Much more elegant than making each plugin draw it's own inteface. I wonder how much time Will is going to spend adding column sorting, playlist viewing, and artist/album browsing to the pmp plugin?

But yeah, I'm really annoyed by this interface change. I understand that it was important from a performance standpoint, but the interface didn't really need fixing. If the new interface is such a good way of browsing music (which is what you're really doing when you look for radio stations), why didn't you repace the library's interface too?

Sorry to complain so much, but I don't like where this part of Winamp is going. The rest is pretty nice though.
Old 22nd February 2006, 05:35   #9
peaceofcake

Oh, I just wanted to say that I do appreciate the work that went into this, but I just wish I could access this data through standard media library methods as well.
Old 22nd February 2006, 05:37   #10
bamibal

I totally agree with l_j_a_y_l

What was wrong with the old browser?
There may be more stations, but where is the "popularity/listeners" view?

And the second thing, i can't find my favorite radio-stations.

I hope they gonna change it, untill then...
i'm gonna use "winamp 5.13".

I hate it
Old 22nd February 2006, 05:40   #11
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

What's wrong with a stream with only 10 listeners? Just because something is popular, doesn't mean it is better. Be daring, try something new instead of following the heard of cattle to the most popular stream.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
Old 22nd February 2006, 08:49   #12
martin.deimos
Android/UI Development

Send a message via ICQ to martin.deimos Send a message via AIM to martin.deimos Send a message via Yahoo to martin.deimos
hey egg, how did you get forums.winamp.com in online services?

WebSite: www.skinconsortium.com - Community for Userinterface Design & Coding
Skins: Click Here
Old 22nd February 2006, 09:16   #13
DrO

the only thing i personally like about it all now is that i can remove the thing since i generally don't see the point in online media, seems a waste of bandwidth to me if i can't keep it locally. and not having to remember to uncheck the check for online media on exit (which is a pain when having to debug winamp if it's on) is a saving grace. so in the vein of the thread, i'm happy with it

-daz
Old 22nd February 2006, 11:01   #14
ujay
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by martin.deimos
hey egg, how did you get forums.winamp.com in online services?
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....49#post1871349

UJ
Old 22nd February 2006, 15:09   #15
sacharja

Didn´t find Shoutcast anywhere, because I have no internet explorer (respectivly only the core engine). I use Opera and the core IE is set to the savest setting. No ActiveX Active Scripting, etc.

Means I get a hundreds of errors when clicking through media library. And I can´t simply drag&drop the items in my playlist anymore.

Crap

Never did that, but no I´m downgrading to v5.13.
Old 22nd February 2006, 15:12   #16
The Goat

I don't like it; makes me glad I was able save a separate playlist of radio stations with tagged url's. It's not that I think it goes slow, I'd just like it to go along with my color theme you know.
Old 22nd February 2006, 15:37   #17
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

What Shoutcast browser? All I see is SHOUTcastWire.
Where is it?
Old 22nd February 2006, 18:30   #18
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
What Shoutcast browser? All I see is SHOUTcastWire.
Have you checked "Online Services" in the Winamp installer?
Old 22nd February 2006, 18:46   #19
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

No I didn't.
Blah!
Well, I'll check that when I get home.

Last edited by papadoc; 22nd February 2006 at 20:23.
Old 22nd February 2006, 20:33   #20
beanboy89
(Major Dude)
isn't very custom

For everyone complaining about the new Shoutcast browser: It's not that difficult to get the old Media Library back. Just go into Winamp's plugins folder, and replace "gen_ml.dll" with an older "gen_ml.dll," like the one from Winamp 5.13. Then be sure to make a backup of Winamp 5.2's "gen_ml.dll" so if you want to go back the the new Media Library you can.

BTW, I hope I'm allowed to post this. :P
Old 22nd February 2006, 20:45   #21
sperk

Quote:
Originally posted by beanboy89
For everyone complaining about the new Shoutcast browser: It's not that difficult to get the old Media Library back. Just go into Winamp's plugins folder, and replace "gen_ml.dll" with an older "gen_ml.dll," like the one from Winamp 5.13.
Thanks, couldn´t use the new browser. Terrible with my modem and Firefox.
Old 22nd February 2006, 20:45   #22
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

what makes you think someone wont just fix the scripts feeding those listings to return no data?

Old 22nd February 2006, 22:59   #23
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Koopatrooper
Have you checked "Online Services" in the Winamp installer?
Ok, I'm at home and I see no option to select "Online Services" in the installer.
Where is this supposed to be?
I'm installing the Full version.
Old 22nd February 2006, 23:23   #24
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....id=199851#list

Under "Winamp Library"
Old 22nd February 2006, 23:43   #25
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

Thanks DJ Egg, got it that time.
The installer is playing tricks with me.
I downloaded it twice and it was not there.
This time it was.
Go figure...
Old 23rd February 2006, 03:42   #26
peaceofcake

Down grading isn't the solution, what if they impliment other improvement in the gen_ml.dll file? I would REALLY REALLY like to be able to use EXACTLY the same interface to view lists of music from various sources.

Oh, and I'm just curious. Would it be possible for Nullsoft to collect statistics on how long users spend navigating the jnew interface vs. the old one to select a station. I have a feeling it's longer and will not decrease, but a study would be the only way to prove that hypothesis. Does Nullsoft even do controlled usability studies?
Old 23rd February 2006, 06:23   #27
toonhead-w4tb

As I posted in another thread here, this new browser does not work well at all with screenreaders and other access technology used by the blind and visually impaired. I use JAWS For Windows version 7.0, probably the most popular screenreading software on the market, and the new shoutcast listings won't even work with it, all the options are graphical rather than being text based, at least that's how it looks anyways, perhaps I'm using the wrong type of terms (remember folks I don't have a pare of working eyes here), and as you can tell, I'm able to successfully not only post to this forum, but I could very easily browse all the most popular listings in earlier versions, but not in version 5.2. So for me this has nothing to do with wanting to go back to an old system of only wanting to be able to listen to a thousand stations, it's about actually being able to use this new browser.
Old 23rd February 2006, 14:29   #28
Tag
Streaming Media Expert

Send a message via AIM to Tag
@toonhead-w4tb:
We do not want to leave you out in the cold here. We will try to make sure every field has a text element that can be read by rftb readers. The title= (title equals) fields arent currently being used, but we do plan on setting them for just this reason.