Its about the same to me 42 15.16%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 25th February 2006, 08:41   #81
NetSpider

Quote:
Originally posted by drewbar
http://www.sawgweb.com/sawgstuff/winamp5/gen_ml_513.zip

I assume you all know what to do with it (and it beats installing, copying and uninstalling).
Thanks mate

Winamp 5.2 + Old Library = teh winner
Old 25th February 2006, 08:48   #82
sacharja

Can´t believe that Nullsoft officially released v5.2 on winamp.com with this discussion here
Old 25th February 2006, 08:54   #83
WolvenSpectre

God, is this a good example of good loking BAD interface design!

I downloaded 5.2 right away but just remembered to install it.

O gee look at how they changed the Media Library. maybe they fixed that crappy podccast client, and they added new features... maybe they even put scroll wheel and middle click autoscrolling into the navigations for the content channels...

What the, oh shoutcast tv is not set to all to list shows. The Alpha guide at the top is for CATAGORIES. It will take a half hour just to brows this rasm-frasm thing.

I didn't get to vote in the poll but just so NullSoft Knows... H A T E I T ! ! !

If you don't fix this you are going to to have alot of people looking for other NSV clients.

Fix this now. Oh, and sending the person responsible for this design to a few usability confrences and courses is Strongly recomended!
Old 25th February 2006, 08:56   #84
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

There really are no other NSV clients (that support the popular video formats being used). HAHA!

And, really, if it takes a "half hour" to browse, sounds like there might be an issue with your system there.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
Old 25th February 2006, 09:04   #85
willydee

I want:
- Scalable fonts ... it's annoying and hurts my eyes to read 8 pixel high fonts on a high resolution display. The whole media browser respects font size settings, but the SHOUTCast browser does not. And some color schemes make it even harder to read anything.
- Filtering functions ... I'd like to listen to high bitrate stations only. Please bring that back.
- Adding a station to the Bookmarks ... I can select a station, then sometimes six or more stream urls are in the playlist which I can bookmark, but tomorrow they're invalid.

For the moment I'm back with 5.13.
Old 25th February 2006, 09:17   #86
WolvenSpectre

No other NSV Clients???

I suggest that you look at This Page about NSV streaming format.

I still prefer WinAmp 5.13 to them though, but they exist!

(and as for my system, no... but It would take me a long time to read/scan all the entries from all the genres... I guesstamate about a half our)

(maybe i the one who is a little slow :P )
Old 25th February 2006, 09:22   #87
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

Most streams stream in VP6.2. While many other players can support VP3/MP4 streams, very few, if any, support the VP6.2/AAC combination that most stremas use. But, fear not, the link for the old gen_ml is above.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
Old 25th February 2006, 11:40   #88
urbanite

Quote:

I assume you all know what to do with it (and it beats installing, copying and uninstalling).
Thank you, thank you! That fixes it. Nullsoft, I recommend that you include this dll as an option with 5.2 (you could call it 5.2b, with the "b" for "better").

For others who have asked, the 5.13 install files are still floating around out there; you just have to look.
Old 25th February 2006, 11:51   #89
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:

There is a catch in it. You'll loose all other fixes and improvements from the newer build and will get no tech support for the old .dll.

Last edited by Koopa; 25th February 2006 at 12:34.
Old 25th February 2006, 12:28   #90
pZyKo

going back to my roots ...

Quote:

THANX

even if we loose some improvements going back to 5.13, at least the browser is back
I'm using winamp shoutcast browser 90% of the time ... as I'm tired choosing mp3s from my local audio

what I need :
- search while typing, that's really cool
- sort by name, genre, bitrate
- filter on slow server (les than 128 k)
- full shoutcast servers listing (no 1000 limitation)
- one line per stream ... otherwise it's unreadable

what I don't care about :
- listeners count
- popularity rating
- ... and IE stuff, anyway who's still using IE ????

hope you guys will come back to what we all need ...
THANKS
Old 25th February 2006, 12:42   #91
Squashed

Quote:
Originally posted by Koopatrooper
There is a catch in it. You'll loose all other fixes and improvements from the newer build and will get no tech support for the old .dll.
Is that so?
Question to the devs: Do we still suffer from the security issues from pre 5.2 builds when we use the new 5.2 Winamp with the old ML?
Old 25th February 2006, 13:10   #92
Aikanaro

TOTALLY DISSAPOINTED

One of the main reasons I like(d?) the station list in its old format is that I get to what I want to listen quickly and simply, which the new layout definitely does NOT achieve. I even could "listen on a whim" choosing from what i saw in the list, instead of digging through the classification. I didn't mind to wait a little while for the list to load, and, maybe even this could be solved with caching and doing an incremental update to the cache? (just an idea)

Thankfully, it can (and already is) uninstalled. Goin' back 2 the basics! (which is, overall, one of the concepts that really has given Winamp a competitive advantage over cumbersome, "gnarled interface" players (read WMP & similar))
Old 25th February 2006, 13:12   #93
piba

I just downloaded and installed this version and i realy dont like the browser . I realy would like to have the old shoutcast browser back in future versions of winamp. Maybe they could make an option to chose wich view you want to see.

I want the old shoutcast browser. (With the security updates if any.)
Old 25th February 2006, 13:33   #94
moymike

Send a message via Yahoo to moymike
Hate It...

I just downloaded 5.2 today, and after spending like 10 minutes to find "Music One" in the new shoutcast page, where normally I could find it within 10 seconds.... I came here to post my frustration.

I appreciate that Winamp is continuing to evolve, but the change to shoutcast looks like a piece of floofy fluff to me.

Edit: Found that the "search" works to find my usuals, but have not figured out how to order by popularity (# users) to find the best current streams.

Last edited by moymike; 25th February 2006 at 13:53.
Old 25th February 2006, 13:58   #95
SirRender

I have a sight impairement and find it extreamly hard to read the rows using the current row highlighting. They also need to be spaced further apart in my opinion. It was much better as it was.

SR
Old 25th February 2006, 13:59   #96
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Update

Thanks to everyone for your noted comments & criticisms

The following changes are now top priority and imminent:
(or have already been applied - see Key below)

-Shoutcast TV List will load with the full list of available streams again *

-Alternating color scheme is going (going, gone) *

-Increase default font size to Winamp default *

-Make font size follow global Playlist/Media Library setting *

-Listener counts return, with option to Sort by: Listeners *

-A 'Top 500' option along the top bar & in Quick Genre drop-down *

-Fix the Search field bugs (Select/Delete text, currently only Backspace works) *
(Hi-lite/Select Text = Fixed, Delete key fix requires clientside update)

-Columnize the listings again *

-Lists sortable by clicking column headers again
ie. Name | Now Playing | Type | Bitrate | Listeners *

-Make the columns resizable *

-Tooltips to show full entry when column size isn't wide enough (new feature!) *

-Single-click to hi-lite, double-click to play *

-Hi-lite + Enter = play / Hi-lite + Shift + Enter = Enqueue *

-Change the hand cursor in the rt-click context menu back to the normal pointer *

-Fix support for Text Reader apps for the visually impaired *

-Bandwidth Filter returns *

-Configurable options to eg. change rt-click to keep existing play/enqueue menu or just make rt-click = enqueue, etc. *

-Remember most recent genre selection/search when switching ml views (option) *

-Add 'bookmark' back to rt-click context menu * **

-Compression methods for speeding up list load on slower/busy connections * **

-Shift+click for selecting multiple entries to enqueue *
..(note that the ML is currently eating the Ctrl key, the same as Del key)

-Fix it so Ctrl+Click works (re: above bug) **

-Speed up the re-rendering on eg. 'sort by' and column resize *

-Refresh button in SC-TV / Radio *

-Return of 'Search As You Type'
..(May be included for active (onscreen) views but not viable to be server side)

-Extra Station Name A-Z bar along the top, under Genre Selection

-Remember search filter in SC-TV (option)

-Remember 'sort by' column selection (option)

-Sort music artists by first name []yes []no (config option)

-Reimplement "Send To > ML Playlist" rt-click feature

-Remove dependency for IE microsoft.xmldom ActiveX **
..(note that IE7 won't use ActiveX for AJAX)

-Use ListView control instead of xmldom, and include it with the Winamp distro. This will make the listings look a lot more like the old ones, and will also eliminate the security issues/script errors/etc. **

These will be the initial changes made, though there WILL be more to come.

We appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter.

Note: most of the above changes can all be applied serverside,
ie. without any clientside updates being required.

** = implemented in internal beta (not public)
Old 25th February 2006, 14:25   #97
urbanite

I knew that you guys would get to it. Since jumping on the Winamp bandwagon with WA2, I've always found the development team to be incredibly responsive. Although I had never felt compelled to join as a Winamp member until the current imbroglio.

BTW, I love serverside apps! It can be a controversial subject, but thin clients are the way to go. You're going in the right direction.
Old 25th February 2006, 14:45   #98
SirRender

Perhaps we should have a poll to find out how many people registered on the forums purely to comment about 5.2?

Would give the Dev team some stats to work with then, maybe?
Old 25th February 2006, 14:48   #99
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

And maybe we should have another poll after the above changes have been applied.
Old 25th February 2006, 15:24   #100
M0g13r
Banned

does not work ....

on w2k/sp4 IE5.5/sp2
does online sevice not work :\

error msg:
Sorry, Online Service could not load. Please post an angry message in the forums.

when switch to online service and select one of the services
pops up a script error :\

ps: set the server side limit up to 3000 plz (4 old ML)
Old 25th February 2006, 16:33   #101
Zxy

[EDIT] SORRY!! Didn't read the post by DjEgg before i posted [/EDIT]

Just upgraded to version 5.2

like many others, i am very disapointed by the look and feel of the new shoutcast browser. The thing i mostly used winamp for was tuning in to shoutcast stations.

The old interface was clean, slick, easy-to-use, fast-to-use and it was easy to have a total overwiew of what was going on. To me this new one is pretty obfuscated. To turn the interface into a website-ish interface really isn't the way to go, in my oppinion. Even the web (!!) interface at shoutcase.com is more comfortable to navigate through now.

I've had a short look at the rest of the media-library, and it looks like more of it has been changed in much the same way :(

I hope the ruling winamp-team will remove all the website-ish elements from it's user interface, because it really doesn't fit into winamp really well imo. The cool thing with winamp was to me that it's small and has a very organized and clean user-interface.

I'll try that patch someone suggested or reinstall the old version of winamp (and hopefully not loose my settings ;))

anyway, just my two cents.

Last edited by Zxy; 25th February 2006 at 16:49.
Old 25th February 2006, 17:13   #102
tmr250z

Ok, I just upgraded to Winamp 5.2 (I know I'm late) and I have a problem with it as many others do as well.

I don't really mind the new look of the Online Media section, I think it's alright, but I just prefer the old look, so that's not the problem. The problem is that the Online Media section in the Media Library uses IE to connect to the Internet, so it runs through IE.

I hate that because IE is not secure, so as a result I disabled my IE browser from making and receiving internet connections by running it through a dummy proxy 0.0.0.0 on port 80 so it can't connect to the internet.

And there's the problem: I can't connect to Winamp's Online Media because IE is disabled. So the simple solution would be to enable IE once again, but I don't want to do that because I don't like or use IE (obviously I'm a Firefox user).

My qusetion is why all of a sudden does Winamp run through IE to connect to the Online Media, why can't it just directly connect to the Online Media all by itself just like it did in v5.13?

Because of this problem, I have did what someone suggested in the forums and replaced the gen_ml.dll and gen_ml.ini in Winamp 5.2 with the old gen_ml.dll and gen_ml.ini in Winamp 5.13 which brings back the old media library that connects directly and not through IE.

I love Winamp, I have been using I for awhile now,and have had no problems with it until now, so I'm pleading to the developers to please return Winamp to it's former glory!

Old 25th February 2006, 17:39   #103
Zxy

Quote:

thanx dude!! Now winamp is da #1 once again!
Old 25th February 2006, 17:48   #104
DrO

the web browser control (aka the IE embedded thing you're all moaning about) is used because it's guaranteed to be on systems (apart from obviously if you've done whatever OS hacking to remove it, etc). funnily enough when you're developing for the Windows OS you tend to use the api it provides and in this case to maximise the machines it will work on it makes sense to use something which is available natively. using the mozilla/firefox equivalent involves more changes, extra code size and whatever else to verify and ensure that it all works correctly with either setup.

-daz
Old 25th February 2006, 19:10   #105
nitr021

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
So you want to go back to being limited to a list of the top 1000 streams only?
I know for sure that I don't :/

There's over 13,000 sc radio streams available to you in the new browser.

And it's not slow or unresponsive for me, so maybe there's a problem with your Internet Explorer or something? All results appear almost instantly for me, even the larger Quick Genres.

However, I do kinda agree about the sc-tv listing. Seeing as there's only 300 or so tv streams, I guess it would be nice to be able to see a full list, or at least maybe the full list split over eg. 3 pages (<< 1 | 2 | 3 >>), heh.

But hey, as it's all controlled serverside, and is still a work in progress, subject to change at any time, then who knows what is possible or what will happen...

For example, Listener Count was actually still in/displayed in the earlier betas, but was removed. I guess it would be quite easy to add it back in (though we're not gonna make it so it sorts by 'popularity' by default), and I guess it would be quite easy to add "Bookmark" to the rt-click context menu for Shoutcast Radio & TV, etc etc.
And all this can be done serverside, with no client updates required.

[edit] re: posts below: how many of you are actually trying to broadcast a shoutcast station and get some listeners? My guess is none of you ;-) [/edit]

Or you could just edit ml_online.ini and add a link to shoutcast.com
its nice and all but it is hard to read now, you should think about the functionality and simplicity and now too much features.
I am a php developer, i failed a few times because my users did not understand it much or was too complicated, but now i feel them when i see the winamp interface to display the lists.

[Edit --> DJ Egg]
Please don't quote my posts from a few days ago. If you're going to quote anything, then please quote this post from a few hours ago. Thanks :-)

Last edited by nitr021; 25th February 2006 at 19:31.
Old 25th February 2006, 19:15   #106
Zxy

DrO: I don't think that's what we're all moaning about. To most of us (i think) it's the new user interface itself, not that it's using IE.

Last edited by Zxy; 25th February 2006 at 19:34.
Old 25th February 2006, 20:13   #107
ujay
Forum King

Great new features, most of the problems that bother me have been addressed now.

Couple of outstanding points, will we have the option to resize columns eventually, and can we have Back and Bookmark options at some point too.

Presumable the bugs in Search will also be fixed at some time.

All looking very good now.

UJ
Old 25th February 2006, 20:24   #108
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@ujay
Yes, column resizing will hopefully be eventually implemented.
For now, it's using nowrap and a limit of 56 chars for Name & Now Playing columns.
When column resizing is implemented, it'll be nowrap and no char limit.

Problems with the Search box (can't sel/del text) is listed under Known Bugs
(at least Backspace works for now)
Looks like global disabling of text hi-lighting has been carried over to the search field, and the media library itself is stealing the Del key.

@all

So, some of the changes/fixes referenced in my previous post have now been applied.
Is that an improvement for you? Note, there's still more to come.

Also note, the Shoutcast TV view will be updated on Monday (ish)
(alas, it's still using the old format at the moment)
Old 25th February 2006, 21:11   #109
sacharja

Quote:
Is that an improvement for you? Note, there's still more to come.
Not really. I want the old quick list back Have you read my previous post? http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....16#post1873316 That would even minimize the serverside traffic you have.
Old 25th February 2006, 21:19   #110
nitr021

Quote:
Update

Thanks to everyone for your noted comments & criticisms

The following changes are now top priority and imminent:

-Shoutcast TV List will load with the full list of available streams again

-Alternating color scheme is going (going, gone) *

-Increase default font size to Winamp default *

-Make font size follow global Playlist/Media Library setting *

-Listener counts return, with option to Sort by: Listeners *

-An option (eg. 'All' in Quick Genre drop-down menu) to bring down the full list (~13,000). Note, this may take some time to load, especially on slower connections.
(we might filter out stations with 0 listeners to speed up the load time).

-Fix the Search field bugs (Select/Delete text, currently only Backspace works)

-Columnize the listings again *

-Lists sortable by clicking column headers again
ie. Name | Now Playing | Type | Bitrate | Listeners *

-Make the columns resizable

-Compression methods for speeding up list load on slower connections

-Single-click to hi-lite, double-click to play

-Configurable options to eg. change rt-click to keep existing play/enqueue menu or just make rt-click = enqueue, etc.

-Extra Station Name A-Z bar along the top, under Genre Selection

-Fix support for Text Reader apps for the visually impaired

These will be the initial changes made, though there WILL be more to come.

We appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter.

Note: the above changes can all be applied serverside,
ie. without any clientside updates being required.

Also note that the same changes to the SC-TV view won't be applied until at least Monday afternoon (27th Feb), because it requires a fair amount of extra work.

Key
* == applied
Thanks,
for tv listing do you mean that you are changing to look like the current radio listing?

Thanks again for these changes
Old 25th February 2006, 21:37   #111
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@nitr021
Yes, the SC-TV list will change (probably on Monday ish) to look like the newer SC-Radio Listing ui, the main difference though being that the full TV list will load by default (alas, it's currently not possible to do the same for the ~13000-strong radio list, though there will be a drop-down option to load all radio stations with 1 or more listeners, and probably also a "Top 100" link along the top somewhere).

I also see that you took up my offer to quote that post, hehe :-D
Old 25th February 2006, 21:50   #112
ujay
Forum King

Something else for consideration.

It's not very easy to find somewhere to get the listing to take focus if you left it scrolled to the bottom(so you can use a scrollwheel).

With everything being single click now you need to use the scroll bars to go to the top of the listing to find some dead space.

Any chance of double click to play and single click to take focus.

UJ
Old 25th February 2006, 21:53   #113
michelhack

WHY

If it aint broken don’t fix it.

Did anyone hear that before!?
Old 25th February 2006, 22:08   #114
jalba

I cannot explain how angry i got when Winamp kept freezing when i tried reaching the Music streams

I hate the new way it is, takes longer to reach things you want fast..and i do not like how its set up.
I am quickly going to find an older version as this new winamp to me is worser
Old 25th February 2006, 22:21   #115
moymike

Send a message via Yahoo to moymike
Wow, that update came quick. I figured out how to bookmark my favorite streams (as playlists) between the update. Would be nice to have >bookmark< included in the right click menu of a shoutcast entry.

The ability to resize the columns on the current view as mentioned is the only thing I see is still missing.

Meanwhile... this thread ought to be locked and restarted since the change in the stream list changed it so much.
Old 25th February 2006, 23:09   #116
ztiger

Mixed Feelings

I like the fact that there is access to many more stations, etc.; but what I don't like is that it's pretty doggon difficult to find something you really want. There really aren't any sorting options.

I tried finding my typical station in shoutcast using the new browser and had no luck.

I finally found it by putting in the name of the station in the search box.

Good thing I knew the name and the exact spelling (the way it is listed on shoutcast).

My mixed feelings go beyond just the new browser in this new 5.2 release.

Sound quality isn't as good (almost sounds like I'm sitting in a tin can).

Also, had to ditch all the plugins and skins to get it to run, etc., etc., etc.. I haven't tried ripping yet but we will see about that.

I'm probably just going back to 5.13.
Old 25th February 2006, 23:32   #117
SirRender

Quote:
And maybe we should have another poll after the above changes have been applied.
DJ Egg, I was not being sarcastic when I said;
Quote:
Perhaps we should have a poll to find out how many people registered on the forums purely to comment about 5.2?
I just thought it might be helpful, as the way I see it as 'Feedback'.

Anyway, as for the changes so far, I like them, still some things to do but I am glad that things mentioned in this thread are being sorted.

Thank you the Dev team.

SR
Old 26th February 2006, 03:06   #118
captainmofo

not as lame

I'm not talking about the mp3 codec here... There has to be a easier way to customize and nagivate through the alphabet of genres. It would be a good idea if you could bookmark your favorite genres in the quicksearch tab for genres. Some of the genres in the quicksearch tab I never use so they are a waste of space when I could customize it with my own preferences.

The shoutcast browser is slow responding to commands even if it is something as simple as clicking the listeners button. I'm guessing the broswer is fetching new data when it only needs to sort through the data it already has! Plus, is it me or is the sound quality worse? The stations I listen to now sound flat.

I also noticed that nullsoft recently changed the on-line interface back to using spreadsheet type buttons. Good job! Nullsoft gets credit for fixing the way information was displayed because the intial 5.2 display was a nightware. In fact, it reminded me of how icecast displayed station info when it first came out 7 years ago where all the station information was condensed down into one cell.

If nullsoft could find a way to allow users to define which genres go into their quick search tabs then they shouldn't have any more complaints since they already fixed their biggest problem of how station info is displayed. I rarely post or even register on forms, but winamps recent change in the shoutcast menu made me angry since they have always been the leader in listening to on-line content.

Also, does anyone remember radiospy? That program was awesome and it died before the 00s. Too bad it was a great concept at the time. You could even chat to the Djs who were hosting a particular station.

Also, add a refresh button for cryin' out loud! I'll probably switch back to an older version if things aren't fixed within the next winamp relase.
Old 26th February 2006, 03:25   #119
ambisense

For the love of GOD, please DO NOT use internet explorer... look how itunes did it.. they did it perfectly without any browsers. and yes i only registered on this forum to complain about 5.2
Old 26th February 2006, 03:47   #120
Jenga

Quote:
What's wrong with a stream with only 10 listeners? Just because something is popular, doesn't mean it is better. Be daring, try something new instead of following the heard of cattle to the most popular stream.
Uh...perhaps there is a reason why a particular stream only gets 10-30 listeners. Most of the time I find those stations just play shitty music.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion