Old 7th June 2006, 14:53   #1
skydiver

Multiple versions of WinAmp

How do I install multiple versions of WinAmp so that I can play different songs on different soundcards at the same time?
skydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 15:10   #2
gaekwad2
Foorum King

In the installer select another directory, uncheck all the associate with... and select Shared setttings for all users.

Though you could also check Allow multiple instances in Preferences > General, but then you'd have to configure them on start up each time to use different sound devices.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 16:08   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

There's another way...

As from Winamp 5.11, you can add commandline switches to change the ini file, ini folder and playlist folder that Winamp uses.

Create new/separate shortcuts with any of the following commandline switches:

"X:\Path\To\Winamp.exe" /CONFIG="winamp2.ini"

Simply uses winamp2.ini as the config settings file instead of winamp.ini
Note, you may need to manually copy & rename winamp.ini to achieve this.
Also make sure of the following setting in all .ini files (to allow multiple instances):

minst=1

"X:\Path\To\Winamp.exe" /CONFIG="winamp2.ini" /m3udir="X:\Path\To\Winamp\Winamp2"

Same as above, but will also use/save the current playlist (winamp.m3u) to the specified subdir instead of the root Winamp dir.

"X:\Path\To\Winamp.exe" /inidir="X:\Path\To\Winamp\Winamp2" /m3udir="X:\Path\To\Winamp\Winamp2"

This will make Winamp save ALL settings (winamp.ini, studio.xnf, winamp.m3u, and the entire media library database) to the specified subdir instead.

Naturally, replace X:\Path\To with the actual path to Winamp.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2006, 21:57   #4
skydiver

Multiple versions

I have multiple versions installed on my computer. Each one points at a different sound card. This works fine when I start up each different version of WinAmp and play a song. But when starting different versions of WinAmp from a VB.NET program it seems that the same version is being used.

The same is true if I run them with the following RUN commands

"C:\Program Files\Winamp1\winamp1.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.EASTSIDEGROUP\My Documents\My Music\Peace Frog.mp3"

"C:\Program Files\Winamp2\winamp2.exe" /CONFIG="C:\Program Files\Winamp2\Winamp2.ini" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.EASTSIDEGROUP\My Documents\My Music\The Needle and The Spoon.mp3"

Are there any other arguments I need to specify ?

Any ideas?
Old 7th June 2006, 23:59   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Like I said, make sure that minst=1 is in the [Winamp] section of all the relevant winamp.ini files (default value is: minst=0) otherwise 'enable multiple instances' won't work.

If the problem persists (ie. it works if you run the commands via any of a shortcut icon, start > run, or from the command prompt) then I can only assume that the problem lies somewhere in your vb.net program.
Old 8th June 2006, 18:35   #6
skydiver

minst=1 is set in all the .ini files

runs properly when i start the music after starting winamp but not when i do it from the command prompt so it is not the vb.net

there must be a way
Old 8th June 2006, 19:35   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hmm, strange. It works fine here.
I wonder what you're doing wrong...
Old 9th June 2006, 15:50   #8
skydiver

You were able to get winamp to run using different souncards from the command line?

Could u please show me the exact commands u used?
Old 9th June 2006, 16:13   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yes, assuming you're using 5.23, after changing the out_ds settings accordingly, said settings are then saved to the respective/specified winamp.ini, and that instance will always open with those settings (when using the correct/same command line switch).
Old 9th June 2006, 17:06   #10
skydiver

The version is 5.22

here are my commands

1)
"C:\Program Files\Winamp1\winamp.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.EASTSIDEGROUP\My Documents\My Music\SandStorm.mp3" /CONFIG="C:\Program Files\Winamp1\winamp1.ini"

2)
"C:\Program Files\Winamp2\winamp.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.EASTSIDEGROUP\My Documents\My Music\Johnny B Goode.mp3" /CONFIG="C:\Program Files\Winamp2\winamp2.ini"

See anything wrong?
Old 9th June 2006, 17:20   #11
skydiver

The version is 5.22

here are my commands

1)
"C:\Program Files\Winamp1\winamp.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.EASTSIDEGROUP\My Documents\My Music\SandStorm.mp3" /CONFIG="C:\Program Files\Winamp1\winamp1.ini"

2)
"C:\Program Files\Winamp2\winamp.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.EASTSIDEGROUP\My Documents\My Music\Johnny B Goode.mp3" /CONFIG="C:\Program Files\Winamp2\winamp2.ini"

See anything wrong?
Old 9th June 2006, 17:26   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hmm, well, you're actually using 2 completely different installs of Winamp there (as in gaekwad2's suggestion, not mine), so do you really even need to use the /CONFIG= switch? As it stands, both those instances would write to a different winamp.ini by default anyway.

But yeah, you're right, it doesn't seem to work when you also specify a file/playlist to play in the commandline (maybe benski will look into this problem later).

Sorry about that, I guess I didn't initially understand what it was you were trying to do.

Go for gaekwad2's suggestion instead, then there'll be no need to use any "/" switches in the commmandline, ie. just include the link to the actual file you want to play instead, eg. "C:\Program Files\Winamp1\winamp.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.EASTSIDEGROUP\My Documents\My Music\SandStorm.mp3"

and make sure minst=1 is set in both Winamp1\winamp.ini and Winamp2\winamp.ini

ps. upgrade to 5.23
Old 9th June 2006, 18:43   #13
skydiver

All the settings are proper. I know this because when I open WinAmp and play the songs (File>Play File>) everything works fine. It does not work when I use a command nor does it work when I locate the .mp3 file and do and Open With (and use winamp1 and winamp2).
Old 9th June 2006, 21:33   #14
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

I posted some simple instructions here: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....50#post1953650
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 21:55   #15
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Ahh, the /CLASS= switch!
Old 12th June 2006, 16:45   #16
skydiver

Hate to be a royal pain in the ass but I tried the following two commands and still no success

"C:\Program Files\Winamp1\winamp1.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.EASTSIDEGROUP\My Documents\My Music\SandStorm.mp3" /CLASS="Winamp1"

"C:\Program Files\Winamp2\winamp2.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.EASTSIDEGROUP\My Documents\My Music\Peace Frog.mp3" /CLASS="Winamp2"
Old 12th June 2006, 16:50   #17
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

According to benski's instructions, the /CLASS= switch comes before the path to the file to play, or did you also try that as well?
Old 12th June 2006, 17:13   #18
skydiver

Tried this same results:

"C:\Program Files\Winamp1\winamp1.exe" CLASS="Winamp1" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.EASTSIDEGROUP\My Documents\My Music\SandStorm.mp3"

"C:\Program Files\Winamp2\winamp2.exe" CLASS="Winamp2" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.EASTSIDEGROUP\My Documents\My Music\Peace Frog.mp3"
Old 12th June 2006, 17:20   #19
skydiver

Where can I find a list of all the available switches?
Old 12th June 2006, 18:14   #20
skydiver

If I do the following it starts up four different versions:
C:\WinAmps\WinAmp1\winamp1.exe
C:\WinAmps\WinAmp2\winamp2.exe
C:\WinAmps\WinAmp3\winamp3.exe
C:\WinAmps\WinAmp4\winamp4.exe

But if I specify a song it automatically goes to whichever .exe was started first.
Old 12th June 2006, 18:38   #21
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

maybe you also need to use the /INIDIR= switch as well, as in benski's instructions.

But I think all those "Winamp" /INIDIR="" /CLASS="" "file" type of 'multiple instance' commandlines are for using with the same install of winamp (ie. not multiple installs in different dir's).

To be honest, I really aren't sure, heh.

The full list has already been linked to you before:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=180297
Old 12th June 2006, 19:09   #22
skydiver

Thats the whole list?

There must be a way to do this with commands. I am able to do what I need by opening everything the traditional way (File>Play File>etc...). The person I am developing this application for (in vb.net) absolutely wants to use WinAmp Pro so I am hoping that it is possible.
Old 12th June 2006, 19:39   #23
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by skydiver
Tried this same results:

"C:\Program Files\Winamp1\winamp1.exe" CLASS="Winamp1" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.EASTSIDEGROUP\My Documents\My Music\SandStorm.mp3"

"C:\Program Files\Winamp2\winamp2.exe" CLASS="Winamp2" "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.EASTSIDEGROUP\My Documents\My Music\Peace Frog.mp3"
Should be /CLASS="Winamp1" not CLASS="Winamp1"
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2006, 15:08   #24
skydiver

Did have the /CLASS, made a typo.

It seems that the problem was in the VB code. Made an amateur mistake (left out a double quote). After inserting the double quote everything works perfectly. Playing four different songs to four different sound cards.

Thanks for your help
Old 19th September 2006, 00:44   #25
roquefilipe

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg

"X:\Path\To\Winamp.exe" /inidir="X:\Path\To\Winamp\Winamp2" /m3udir="X:\Path\To\Winamp\Winamp2"

This will make Winamp save ALL settings (winamp.ini, studio.xnf, winamp.m3u, and the entire media library database) to the specified subdir instead.

hi,

wich files exactly should be in the winamp2 folder?
roquefilipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2006, 08:16   #26
siebe83
Forum King

None: Winamp will create new config files automatically.

If you want to copy settings over from another install or something, see here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=158332

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2006, 20:23   #27
roquefilipe

thanks
roquefilipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support