Old 8th June 2006, 00:56   #1
alx242

playlist in 5.23

I just upgraded to 5.23 and I seem to be having a problem with the playlist function. A bunch of my playlists lost half or all of the tracks, and, also, when I add a track from my library to a playlist, all the other tracks in that list disappear. I can't even be sure this is a bug, or if I have a setting turned off/on that I don't know about.
alx242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 00:57   #2
OdessaCubbage

Do you mean playlists as in playlist files (m3u or comparable)?

Also, could you post system specs?

Maybe the location of the files in your playlists changed?

You could try making your playlists read-only, by the way.
Old 8th June 2006, 01:11   #3
alx242

I wish I could be more technically specific. Playlist, as in, I'd create a new playlist within the software, not making a new file or folder, and then dragging tracks over from my library to the playlist. I'm not really the most savvy with this stuff. I did try looking in c://....winamp/ whatever , but I don't see anything. It's like, everytime I add something new to the playlist, everything else already in the playlist gets deleted.
Old 8th June 2006, 01:14   #4
OdessaCubbage

well, u might want to check out http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/winamp/

it is a good winamp tweak guide and it might have something about playlists. try checking in the winamp preferences - you might have installed a plugin to add the option to auto-clear the playlist.
Old 8th June 2006, 01:16   #5
alx242

Okay, thanks. I figure it's got to be something like that.
Old 8th June 2006, 10:30   #6
JayWill

hey~ i think i've got the same problem as alx242 encountered, i have dozens of playlists( oganized by genres) inside the media library( but i didn't save them >_< ), after upgrading to 5.23 and try to add new items in those playlists, the other items in the playlist are gone......OMG...
JayWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 13:16   #7
Mart_Bud

I've got that problem as well.
If I add new songs to a playlist it will clear the whole playlist and only show the songs that I've just added.
Mart_Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 14:50   #8
Ryan86

Send a message via AIM to Ryan86
ok i refuse to update to 5.23 if there are still bugs in this updated version. i'll update when everything has been fixed. i had problems with 5.22 and i don't want anymore problems.
Ryan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 15:37   #9
OdessaCubbage

@ JayWill: Look at the 2nd post on this thread and see if that stuff works for you.
Old 8th June 2006, 19:28   #10
jbrodin

I'm having the same problem, and I looked at the techspot guide without finding anything. I'll try to explain the problem in more detail:

The problem is with the playlists within the Media Library (not the general playlist): I can add files (from, e.g., the "Audio" section) just fine. The problem is that if I add songs to a playlist, look at the playlist, and then add more songs, the songs I originally added, before looking at the playlist, have disappeared, and only the songs added in the second round appear. The same happens to m3u playlists imported to the Media Library.

I've tried configuring all my plugins to see if any of them autoclear my playlist, but that's not where the problem lies.
jbrodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 19:43   #11
Plaid Phantom

I'm having the same issues as jbrodin. It's good to know I can get around it by not looking at the playlist, at least.
Plaid Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 20:07   #12
OdessaCubbage

well, i tried what all of you have been talking about (at least i think i did): i added some songs to the playlist editor from the media library, then i added some more songs, then i added some more songs: i didnt have any problems. Maybe it has to do with where you're placing your cursor when you drag the songs over. you should place it distinctly above or below the other songs to make sure they're not replacing, but appending the playlist already there. or are you guys sending it a to playlist you have saved in WA?
Old 8th June 2006, 21:37   #13
Beltonius

I will reiterate the problem that numerous people above have noted, that I too am experiencing:

In Media Library, I create a playlist. I highlight several tracks from the Artist/Album panel on the right. I drag these to the playlist I just created. I then highlight other track(s) and drag them to the same playlist. If I then check/play the playlist, only the second group of tracks are there. If I instead right-click on the second group of tracks and choose "send to" and then the playlist, the tracks are appended as I want. However, I want to still be able to drag tracks into the playlist!
I feel like this was an undocumented feature change; 5.23 also broke at least one or two skins and has now erased a 1000+ track playlist. Thanks, Winamp.
Beltonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 21:39   #14
Mart_Bud

It also does the same for me if I right click then 'send to' the play list I want it to go in.
Mart_Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 22:19   #15
alx242

See, I was afraid I was the only one that this was happening to, but I'm starting to get the feeling that this is more of a bug than a feature. But I'm not going to rule out the chance that there's some setting you have to tweak, but they sure don't explain anything in the doc that was previously refered to.
Old 8th June 2006, 22:29   #16
Ryan86

Send a message via AIM to Ryan86
can you guys fix this? i want to update winamp but i don't want to have to deal with another bug.
Ryan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 22:59   #17
OdessaCubbage

You could try using WA 5.21 instead. Get it at www.filehippo.com. As for the rest of you, if you have a 1000 track playlist that you don't want messed up, go into Windows Explorer, find the playlist (usually an m3u file, especially if it was created in Winamp), right click on it, choose properties, and you will see an option to make it "read-only". If you do this, neither Winamp nor any other program can edit the file, keeping it from getting messed up.

UPDATE: I found an easy way around this. I think you all are editing the playlist in the Media Library, under the thing that says "Playlists" and has a list of the playlists you've told Winamp to keep track of. What I did was, I dragged the playlist name from the Media Library to the Playlist Editor. There, you can drag tracks into the list without it wiping out the previous songs. Then, while in the Playlist Editor, hit Ctrl+S and a window will pop up in which you can choose where you want to save the playlist currently in the playlist editor and what name you want to give it.
Old 8th June 2006, 23:02   #18
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

The "send to > playlist" issue is a known 5.23-specific bug. Sorry, heh.
Will hopefully be fixed shortly.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 23:41   #19
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Unzip to C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins (or wherever Winamp lives)
Attached Files
File Type: zip ml_playlists.zip (29.9 KB, 1648 views)
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 04:56   #20
JayWill

the file above will fix it???

[Edit --> DJ Egg]
Umm, yes.
JayWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 05:16   #21
muckster

I f**kin' can't believe this. I literally just spent 3 hours making a playlist for a party, and it turns out the new version has a bug... the playlist is essentially empty. $%!#@$!!

I really, really really wish I'd waited another day to update.
muckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 06:56   #22
OdessaCubbage

Get the ml_playlists.zip file that Benski linked to and y'all will be fine. To prevent this stuff in the future, make your playlists read-only.
Old 10th June 2006, 11:12   #23
Budgie2k5

Since updating to 5.23 it has lost my playlist for my Creative MP101 player ... i use twonkyvision as server and when i click on playlist MP101 says No Items ..even though there is tracks in my playlist .. i have tried the fix but nothing ... tried a system restore and winamp comes up with an error ... am annoyed now as i have no server for my mp101 ..
Budgie2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2006, 22:49   #24
Beltonius

Has this issue been addressed in 5.24 (it isn't listed in version history)?
Old 21st June 2006, 23:28   #25
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

No, 5.24 was just an in_midi security fix release.

The issue outlined in this thread was fixed in 5.23 second release (5.2.3.672 - 8th June), which included the ml_playlists.dll from benski's attachment above.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 17:21   #26
Beltonius

OK, thank you.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support