Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 30th April 2006, 15:15   #1
das Grüne

Send a message via ICQ to das Grüne
winamp media files do not have any symbols since I installed Quicktime

Hi,

As I said the files wich are associated with winamp (all supported types for me) do not have any symbols anymore. I mean that they only have the windows symbol for non - asociated files. But they open in winamp correctly. I think the problem exists since I installed Quicktime. I need this Prog for my CAD software, so I can't simply remove it (I would love to do so!)

I tried the following:

- re-installed winamp
- re-installed quicktime
- re-installed realplayer
- tried to associate the files with winamp manually
--> right click --> open with --> check "always open with" ---> select winamp
- tried to associate the files by the "extras" menu --> file types --> ...
- tried to associate the files by the winamp preferences

nothing helps. In each dialog the correct symbol is displayed, but does not show in my windows explorer - if those windows default icons weren't so ugly!!!

Can someone help me?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

das Gr�ne

THE_FIX

Old 30th April 2006, 15:29   #2
Lewis Holt

Do you have the Winamp agent enabled? Did you disassociate the files types from Quicktime?
Lewis Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2006, 15:36   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....d=161361#specs

What is your Windows OS ?
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2006, 16:06   #4
das Grüne

yes, I did disasociate the files from quicktime. My Windows OS is XP Home SP2. I'll try this agent thing now, but I think I already did and it didn't work... we'll see.
das Grüne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2006, 16:28   #5
das Grüne

OK, I forgot to install the agent as I re-installed . But in the former installation the agent WAS installed, I remember that for shure.
But now I re-intstalled again WITH the agent, agent is enabled to maintain file asociations, (by the way: the files ARE asociated correctly, they only don't show the right symbol!) and the checkmark beside the file asociation list "restore file asociations at startup" is checked also. It doesn't help anything to check or uncheck any of those buttons in the winamp preferences.

NOTHING WILL HELP ME TO GET RID OF THEESE UGLY SYMBOLS!!!
Old 30th April 2006, 16:31   #6
das Grüne

Now I just see a process called "I-Tunes - Helper" in my windows task manager. I try to kick this out and restart my system again.

CU
Old 30th April 2006, 16:50   #7
das Grüne

So. My system startup, autostart and services were messed up with all that waste getting installed without having asked before. I kicked everything I don't need. Dindn't help. I think it's the CAD Software, wich messed up my file associations (ArchiCAD or VectorWorks). I think this is the point to give up.
If anyone has another idea, please let me know. Thanks.

Grüni
Old 30th April 2006, 18:26   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Delete the icon cache file and reboot

C:\Documents and Settings\(Username)\Local Settings\Application Data\IconCache.db

Note, the "Local Settings" and "Application Data" folders, and IconCache.db file are all hidden by default, so make sure you can see hidden files/folders first c/o
Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab.

After deleting IconCache.db
first make sure filetypes are properly associated with Winamp, via:

Winamp > Prefs > File Types
Make sure MP3 and any other extensions of your choice are selected (hi-lighted),
and that "restore associations on winamp startup" is checkmarked,
and select an icon of your choice via the slider under "File Icon".

Then go to: Control Panel > Folder Options > File Types tab,
Scroll down for and hi-lite: MP3
Click "Advanced", then click "Change Icon"
Make sure the icon from winamp.exe that you selected in
"Winamp Prefs > File Types > File Icon" is also selected here.

OK everything.

IconCache.db will be automatically recreated on reboot.
Old 30th April 2006, 20:48   #9
das Grüne

No file called "iconcache.db" on my whole system. Yes I have selected "include hidden objects into search" and "show hidden files".
Oh, well, there are four files called like this. I forgot to search hidden elements, sry. But not the path you told me. I try with renaming and rebooting.
I'll try this now.

Hmm. I just saw that the only account on my computer, wich has no file on the path you told me, is the one I am using now. I will look first, if the other accounts have the same problem, wait a minute...

Yes, same problem for the other accounts.

wait a minute...

thanx.
Old 30th April 2006, 21:00   #10
das Grüne

Did not work for me. My system has not recreated the files after reboot and it had no effect anyway. I have not deleted but renamed the files to "=iconcache=.db", could it be that my OS is still using them? Or is it possible that my sys uses another file instead of Iconcache.db because of some f***** prog, that I installed?
Old 30th April 2006, 21:30   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Delete it (ie. follow my exact instructions).
Old 30th April 2006, 22:15   #12
das Grüne

I followed your instructions except the file deleting. Now I deleted it and did again what you said. The effect now is, that the problem was "solved" with the winamp standard icon, not the icons selected with the sliders in the preferences menu, then I rebooted an after I started winamp for the first time again, the problem was there again. No icons anymore. After that I wanted to follow the steps again, with other icons on the sliders, but there is no iconcache.db file (or renamed version of it) on my system anymore, wich I could delete first. Windows again didn't recreate it.
Old 1st May 2006, 00:51   #13
Winner2

If you have a file named ShellIconCache, you need to delete that instead, and follow the other instructions provided by DJ Egg.
Winner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2006, 02:46   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

afaik, ShellIconCache was the icon cache file under Win9x/ME,
usually found in the Windows dir,
but it's definitely IconCache.db under WinXP.

You can try using the Rebuild Icons feature of TweakUI
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ertoySetup.exe

Other than that, what file extensions in particular are you having the problem with?
eg. is it just mp3, or is it all media types?
(wav, ogg, aac, m4a, avi, mpg, midi, wmv, etc)
Old 1st May 2006, 12:15   #15
das Grüne

The problem is with all file types, I asociated with winamp. By the way way they are not called "winamp media file" anymore, if I look them up in the windows explorer --> extras --> file types -->... but *.wav-file, *.mp3-file,... and so on. Not winamp media file anymore. But they are still asociated with winamp. This has channged as I tried to solve the icon-problem by DJ Eggs method for the first time. I tried to re-install winamp again, but the definition "winamp media file" is not existant anymore.

Another thing: Before I tried DJ Eggs method, I looked up the options in windows media player again. There I saw that two filetypes were still associated with windows media player, so I unchecked the checkboxes. After that (NO file was asociated wth w.m.p. anymore!) all the winamp media file icons were suddenly WinDOWS media PLAYER icons!
Perhaps the problem has to do with windows media player? Is it possible to uninstall that thing? I don't need it anyway.
Old 1st May 2006, 12:54   #16
das Grüne

OK, TweakUI couldn't fix it. I tried, then I went to the filtypes setting in the explorer, managed it to set the winamp filetypes again as "winamp media files", don't ask me how, it was somehow with a button called "wiederherstellen" in the options of this menu. As they were calles winamp media file again, I tried to repair them again with tweakUI, but didn't work again. Tried to uninstall media player, but it's not possible for me. You can select it to uninstall at settings --> software --> windows components --> windows media player, but then it doesn't uninstall.
Old 1st May 2006, 14:55   #17
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Please give me the FULL list of extensions (eg. .mp3, .wav, .ogg, .m4a, .aac, etc) that you want to be associated with Winamp (ie. have the Winamp icon and "Winamp Media File" description), and then I'll knock you up a registry fix.

btw, what does 'wiederherstellen' translate as? Does it mean 'restore' or 'advanced'?
Old 1st May 2006, 15:11   #18
das Grüne

As "advanced" means "erweitert" in german, "wiederherstellen" must be "restore". Yes, used the restore button to set the files back to winamp media file.

Files asociated with winamp:

config_extlist=CDA:MPG:MPEG:M2V:AVI:ASF:WMV:MID:MIDI:RMI:KAR:MIZ:mdz:nst:stm:stz:s3m:s3z:it:itz:xm:xmz:mtm:ult:669:far:amf:okt:ptm:MP3:MP2:MP1:AAC:APL:M4A:MP4:NSV:NSA:OGG:WAV:VOC:AU:SND:AIF:AIFF:WMA:m3u:pls

before there was *.mod also asociated, but as this one HAS a strange symbol wich may belong to one of my CAD software, i left it out then.

thank you for your help!
:)
Old 1st May 2006, 16:06   #19
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Ok, before I make the .reg file, can you just confirm that the file icon in Windows Explorer folders still doesn't display/change when you change the icon in:
Winamp > Prefs > File Types.

I assume you've got it set to the default icon, yes?
ie. the 2nd icon from the top of the slider selection, which under WinXP is the orange lightning bolt on a light blue background.

Is that the icon you want?

Does the icon change in Explorer if you select a different File Icon in Winamp Prefs, ie. by moving the slider down to a different icon? Make sure all Explorer folders are closed first, then reopen the folder containing the media files, and hit F5 (refresh)...

And can you also please tell us what your current "screen resolution" and "color quality" settings are (Control Panel > Display > Settings tab), eg. 1600 x 1200 | Highest (32 bit).

[edit]

Aah crap, I also need to know the path to where Winamp is installed.

eg. by default = C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe

but it might be different on your system, if it's not in English locale
(eg. "C:\Programmme\Winamp\" or something)
Old 1st May 2006, 19:01   #20
das Grüne

Hi,

the path where winamp is stored / installed is: c:\programme\winamp\
My screen resolution is 1024 x 768 @ 32bit. I have already tried different file icons, not only the default, nothing works. I always tried to chance icons by the winamp preferences, because in the context menues for example of an *.mp3 file, there is no option available to change icons (I want to say that it is not possible for me to set another symbol for an *.mp3 file, for example, by right click --> ...)
Always the windows - not asociated - symbol.

Grüni
Old 1st May 2006, 21:03   #21
Winner2

Quicktime really messes things up. I went through the same deal, and I don't think my system recovered even after uninstalling Quicktime. I suppose you tried a full uninstall of Quicktime (might have to refer to online help for how to uninstall all elements). Looks though like DJ Egg is fixin' to give you a registry merge file to fix this, and that will probably do it. I've seen him work magic on tough nuggets like this. :-)
Old 1st May 2006, 22:59   #22
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Ok, we'll start with trying a really basic registry fix, and if this doesn't work, then we'll need to dig deeper.

Unzip the reg file from the attached zip and double-click it to merge it with the registry.

Note, the .reg file is for das Grüne only (or anyone whose Winamp is installed to C:\Programme\Winamp under Win2k/XP).
Attached Files
File Type: zip winamp_icon_fix_winxp__for_das_grune_only.zip (517 Bytes, 1354 views)
Old 8th May 2006, 20:01   #23
das Grüne

finally got the time for a reply - it still doesn't work. but I think we should leave it as it is, it's not worth spending hours of time and work for f***ing symbols. But thank you very much for your help!
Old 15th May 2006, 07:42   #24
sekond

Meh, i'm having the same problem, my icons look ugly... and its freakin annoying
sekond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 16:33   #25
joeypablo

Had the same problem, don't know exactly which program caused it.

Fyi - i've got Quicktime and Winamp 5.2x on my system.

Solution: delete the value at
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File\ShellEx\IconHandler

On my PC it was a NeroDigital related CLSID
{B327765E-D724-4347-8B16-78AE18552FC3}

Afterwards, log off or kill explorer and check
(maybe restart Winamp to let it fix the icon setting, dunno)
joeypablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 17:55   #26
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Urghh...
so one of Nero or QuickTime (and/or ArchiCAD) is modifying the Winamp.File reg key?
Lovely! (not)

Yup, that reg key (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File\ShellEx\IconHandler) should not exist (ie. it's not added/used by Winamp).

The only relevant/legit icon key should be:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File\DefaultIcon

Thanks for the info.

We could do with confirmation of whether it's Nero or QuickTime that's responsible.
But in the meantime, we're gonna add code to the Winamp Agent to auto detect & delete that dodgy IconHandler key.

UPDATE:
You can now use DrO's patch to auto remove the offending registry key
http://www.nunzioweb.com/daz//files/...handler_fix.7z

(Extract and run iconhandler_fix.exe)
Old 14th June 2006, 01:31   #27
stevenj05

had the same problem...found this in the registry key that joey said to delete {B327765E-D724-4347-8B16-78AE18552FC3} so i am assuming its nero messing with it since i got the same thing
stevenj05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2006, 01:59   #28
stevenj05

got it to work now...delete that key and restart your comp and mess around with winamp prefences and it will work...you will need to close it and start it a couple of times...and refresh the folder where the files are at too

Winamp > Prefs > File Types
Make sure MP3 and any other extensions of your choice are selected (hi-lighted), and that "restore associations on winamp startup" is checkmarked, and select an icon of your choice via the slider under "File Icon".
Old 16th June 2006, 16:28   #29
gameplaya15143
Major Dude

Re: winamp media files do not have any symbols since I installed Quicktime

Quote:
Originally posted by das Grüne
- re-installed winamp
- re-installed quicktime
- re-installed realplayer
Uninstall realplayer, that thing is an evil POS (use real alternative instead)
At the very least go into its options and unassociate it from everything but real media files, and take its extra junk off startup.

also remove the quicktime taskbar icon from startup,
I would take that itunes one off there too

start, run, "msconfig", 'startup' tab, uncheck the extra worthless junk, and reboot

I'm not a fan of winampagent myself, but its your call on that one I don't consider its usefullness to be worth the resources it takes up.
gameplaya15143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2006, 14:33   #30
dashrader

I had the same missing icon problem. All I did was open regedt32.exe, save (export) the entire registry, just in case, then navigate to the following key and then delete it (I exported this key as well, just in case)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File\ShellEx

I closed WinAmp, restarted WinAmp, and then all my icons were pointing to the correct icon in WinAmp (index #4 - the black one)

David
dashrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2006, 14:48   #31
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

As referenced above, you only need to delete the IconHandler subkey

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File\ShellEx\IconHandler

However, deleting the ShellEx root key won't do any harm, although some plugins or external apps do sometimes add extra stuff there (ie. ShellExtension entries which do actually work).
Old 21st June 2006, 20:34   #32
dashrader

Something I did notice. The default double click is Enqueue. I looked at deeper into the shell settings, and there seem to be some new stuff. I like that stuff, good idea. Now I can easily choose what the default behavior is and if I enqueue, it can go to the front or end of the list.

When I disabled the launch stuff, and double clicked, it fired off WMP and played the song. Ick!!! Why not make the default OPEN or PLAY if no other special handling is selected?

Getting better!!!
dashrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 18:40   #33
jporte

nero problem

I'm having the same problem - that my mp3 icons are all the ugly windows default ones. I'm running Windows XP and Winamp v 5.24, and the registry fix that has been posted above and working for some people is not there for me - my Winamp.File registry folder only has the DefaultIcon key, and there is no ShellEx registry folder. Help?
Thanks
jporte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 19:09   #34
stevenj05

do you have the new nero installed if you do get rid of it and go back to nero 6...this line should be there in the registry 'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.File\ShellEx\IconHandler' or do what was posted above....search for this 'IconCache.db' and delete it...
Old 14th July 2006, 19:28   #35
Red Mullet
Banned

If you run winamp agent alive your files read & associate with qicktime.
Red Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 19:47   #36
jporte

Thanks, I think deleting the IconCache.db file worked - at least the icons are back to normal so I don't care now!
jporte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2007, 21:04   #37
liki

It also happend to me and its caused by ArchiCAD (v.10).
liki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 21:19   #38
NukeyDoo

I can confirm that CLSID is in the Iconhandler key. I deleted it but now for some reason I am stuck with the bright yellow lightning bolt icon for winamp files rather than the ones I am selecting in preferences.

I too have the newest Nero and Quick time installed. So one of those may be the culprit.
NukeyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2007, 02:43   #39
Winner2

NukeyDoo,

I would bet a reinstall of Winamp would solve your problem at this point; you've probably tried it though.

For a long stretch, I was stuck with a little apple icon for my wave files, even though I would select another player (in my case, I chose Media Player Classic rather than Winamp). To force this icon to my liking, I did the following:

[Edit: NOTE: This procedure involves manual edits of the default program selection, and may not be the simple file association change that is more familiar and may have already been tried. So this is a caution against simply glancing at this and deciding it's already been tried.]

1. In Windows Explorer, select Tools > Folder Options > File Types.
2. Select the file type of interest.
3. If necessary, click the Restore button to reset to the default program for the file type.
3.5. Note the default player. In that program (if it exists, often Windows Media Player) the file type of interest must not be selected as a default file type.
4. Back at file type options, click Advanced.
5. Manually edit the open, play, enqueue, record, etc. program paths to locate the desired program and choose the preferred icon.
6. Click OK as required and close the the Folder Options window.
7. Test the result. Log out of Windows and back in if first test fails. Try clearing icon cache again and reboot if even this fails.

Good luck!

[Edit: I've included a crucial Step 3.5 to deactivate file ownership using the default player, if it exists. If this procedure does not work and you want to get things as they were, use the default program to again claim ownership of the file type and/or manually re-edit the program paths.]

Last edited by Winner2; 25th January 2007 at 03:16.
Old 23rd April 2007, 14:33   #40
themidnighter

ok guy's here is the help !
How I've done.
Simple way :
get your system back before you installed archicad (archicad 10 mess with winamp icons)
or just uninstall archicad and don't forget to uninstall the wibu key thing. Don't forget to try to remove the graphisoft folder in the program files too. You'll not be able to remove everything in this folder but it doesn't matter.
After this, remove winamp. Remove everything from winamp from your computer.
Reboot.
Install archicad, and finish it.
reboot
now, install winamp.
Everything should work as well ! It's working on my computer.
themidnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support