Old 3rd October 2006, 02:12   #1
leer317

Two Unicode Problems 5.3

Hi!

I've been playing around with the 5.3, and it's been good to me so far (mostly)... however, I still can't seem to get some of the Unicode stuff working in the Media Library...

Look at this picture

The Media Library successfully reads the file on the RIGHT hand side, but the one on the LEFT (the garbled characters) cannot be read. Is there any way to fix this?

As well, I have songs of various languages in my library (Chinese and Japanese, among others). I have my computer's regional settings to be defaulted in Chinese...

The Chinese song titles show up fine...

However, for the Japanese songs on my playlist, it only shows "??????", and occassionally, it seems to recognize some character that it thinks that it's Chinese (but is Japanese) . See the last line...

Is there any way that that can be fixed?

Thanks.
leer317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 02:17   #2
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
The Media Library is still lacking Unicode support, that is still comming.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2006, 02:21   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Winamp 5.3 Release Notes for more info
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 09:00   #4
khrjsn

Isn't it that Winamp 5.3 support for unicode file playback?

But when I play the file, the title can't display properly.

I have attach the file of this problem.
The title at playlist show properly in chinese character, but at song title up there is a problem.

How can I fixed it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winamp - song title.jpg (40.8 KB, 1155 views)
khrjsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 13:21   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Probably a setting in:
Prefs > Skins > Modern Skins > Font Rendering

Use FreeType internal TTF rendering maybe?
Some people say that they need to uncheck that setting,
whereas it works fine for me.

Do the unicode titles display ok for you with the Classic skin?

Also make sure you've selected a suitable font in: Prefs > Playlist
ie. uncheck "use skin or lang pack font" and select eg. Arial Unicode MS
Attached Images
File Type: png unicode.png (94.5 KB, 1856 views)
Old 8th October 2006, 07:14   #6
khrjsn

Thanks DJ Egg
Thanks for your reply, I will try to adjust that setting.

I do not have any problem for display title in Classic skin.
khrjsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 02:30   #7
BlueEdge

I'm also experiencing this problem. I can't even get the songs in the playlist to show Chinese. It's becoming a problem because for example, if my song title is XX - XXX in winamp, it will look for the first XX - XXX, so if i have another song with the same character configuration I can only listen to the first unless I rename them all.

I've tried changing the Internal TTF Renderer to nothing and to Big5. I've tried installing language packs, any ideas?

Edit: Im also trying the unicode thing, but I don't seem to have arial unicode...ill try to find tha ton the net

Edit 2: I got the font, did the options as stated before and it still didn't work. I also tried changing the skin to no luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winamp.jpg (22.2 KB, 839 views)
BlueEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2006, 03:10   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

If the files are stored in the Local Media database in your Media Library, then (as explained in the Notes from the 5.3 Released thread, as linked to above) you also need to uncheck "use library title info for playlist item formatting" in Prefs > Media Library > Local Media.

And you also need the updated ml_local.dll (see Updates section of first post in 5.3 Released thread, or sticky thread at the top of the Tech Support forum).

EDIT

Note that the updated ml_local only applies to v5.3 and not to newer releases

(ie. the fixed ml_local.dll was included with v5.31 and higher)
Old 10th October 2006, 03:40   #9
BlueEdge

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think my files are in my media library, they're just in a folder that i access everytime. I also tried the updated ml_local, to no avail.

Thanks for your efforts anyways!

Edit: I'm going to try dling Winamp 5.3...lol, maybe that'd help

Mmm...Winamp 5.3 did work in terms of the songs mixing up, so thats great! some of the charaters work now, and some don't...ill try to see if i can just change the file info stuff!

Edit: lol it works if I update every single song, but thanks! I guess the file info was messed up for some reason
Thanks
BlueEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2006, 16:39   #10
upsfeup

How can I check that the ID tags are correctly set in Unicode?

My japonese music appears with ?? chars, but I can see that during the songs are loaded to the playlist (before reading the tag) the names os the files appear correctly.

Is the ID3 tagger in Winamp ready for unicode? (I tried a simple copy paste from the File Name to the Title field, but it reverted to ??)

[Edit]
As usual! I was able to fix it 20 seconds I post the message! It was in fact a error in id3 tags that wasn't writing id3v2 tags.

Now I have beatiful tags
upsfeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 13:27   #11
warcryme

Send a message via ICQ to warcryme
I just upgraded to Winamp 5.32

I have noticed SOME support for my unicode chinese characters but there is still a major bug.

If I "add files" directly into my PLAYLIST, they do display properly and play just as I'd hoped. This must be a new feature, since my previous versions of Winamp could never display unicode chinese characters. So I'm happy about that.

When I "add files" to a preset "playlist" in my MEDIA LIBRARY, it will initially display the unicode chinese characters... HOWEVER once you click away from that page and then come back to it... the characters are replaced with ???? and it won't recognize the song. This makes it impossible to create a preset playlist of chinese songs, because it doesn't seem to "hold" the correct characters!

It is REALLY annoying and I hope this problem can be fixed ASAP.
warcryme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 14:09   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

As already mentioned above, the Media Library (local media database and playlists) still doesn't support unicode. Unicode support for ML playlists will hopefully be ready for the next release (probably v5.33), though Local Media unicode support will take a bit longer (no ETA on this).
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support