Old 11th September 2006, 00:57   #121
germain47

Yes, I did have the "allow 24 bit option" checked. Turned it off and the transcode from vorbis to wav went without a hitch. And yes you are correct in assuming that I meant the flac decoder.
Thanks!!
germain47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2006, 13:41   #122
k_kolev1985

Priority control durring transcoding

HI Will,

Can you add an option for priority control durring transcoding? That will be very useful (at least for me) specially when a person has something to do on the PC but he wants to transcode some files at the same time.

Best wishes!

Sorry if my english is bad, but I think it is better to have something than nothing. SpeechLab 2.0. JAWS for Windows. ABBYY FineReader. LAME encoder. The GodFather (audio file manager).
k_kolev1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 18:19   #123
mrgoodfriend

Send a message via Yahoo to mrgoodfriend
Not having expected results

Using winamp 5.3, rightclick on my favorite .wma file, send to transcode. MP3 Encoder v1.31, VBR new, Stereo, min rate 128, max rate 320, Quality very high. Click OK... get the TRANSCODING popup, wait about 5 secs, green bars on top and bottom... 1 track, no fail. I get an .mp3 file of about 2k in size. Of course, that file no worky. Any hints?
mrgoodfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2006, 22:41   #124
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

is it a drm'ed file? those wont work for obvious reasons.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2006, 19:02   #125
Psichmich

gr8 one tnx...
Psichmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2006, 02:05   #126
mrgoodfriend

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigF
is it a drm'ed file? those wont work for obvious reasons.
Obvious if you've been around this thing a while. As geeky as I am regarding some parts of technology sytems, music files are not my forte.... please state in a more elementary mode. I AM a newbie!
Old 9th October 2006, 02:09   #127
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
Where did you get the WMA file from? Most download services do not allow for files to be downloaded to be converted to any other format. They add restrictions (refered to DRM or Digital Rights Management) to prevent this from happening. The WMA format is known for being loaded with such DRM.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2006, 02:11   #128
mrgoodfriend

That could be it. DL's from napster and wallyworld.

Thanks for the info.
Old 9th October 2006, 12:18   #129
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

If its from napster (purchased not years gone by) it came as a Rights Managed (and believe me, its not your rights its managing). You cant transcode it because that would remove the copy protection.

Prehaps, if possible, the transcoder should make note of this when attempting to convert.

Old 9th October 2006, 12:56   #130
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

"DRM 'manages rights' in the same way as jail 'manages freedom'"

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 14:54   #131
butthole

v2.0a bug report

downloaded the latest 2.0a (displays 2.0)

my transcode is set to mp4/lc-aac enc 1.21

with the "use old file name and path" option selected or not, the file encodes successfully, but its left as "wa_mp4.tmp" in my temp folder. It will create the target folder with correct naming conventions, but doesnt move/copy/rename the encoded file there.
butthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2006, 14:55   #132
germain47

calculate replay gain again after transcoding?

I recently ripped some Cd's into flac and applied replay gain for permanent storage on my hd. I transcoded some of these flac files to mp3 in order to create an mp3 disc for my car. I noticed that the replay gain calculations did not transcode and it was necessary for me to calculate replay gain again on the mp3 files. Did I miss something?
germain47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2006, 14:58   #133
Benski
Ben Allison
Former Winamp Developer

Re: calculate replay gain again after transcoding?

Quote:
Originally posted by germain47
I recently ripped some Cd's into flac and applied replay gain for permanent storage on my hd. I transcoded some of these flac files to mp3 in order to create an mp3 disc for my car. I noticed that the replay gain calculations did not transcode and it was necessary for me to calculate replay gain again on the mp3 files. Did I miss something?
Nope. Replay Gain isn't carried over. The main reason is that the calculated values are going to be different - especially the peak values. With low bitrate files, the gain can be quite different as well.
Benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2006, 18:47   #134
Gabes Dad

What would be a nice option for transcoding is to apply the specified gain (album or track) such it scales the output files. That way the portable player wouldn't need to support replaygain.
Gabes Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 01:51   #135
Lantec

Prior to version 5.3 I was able to Transcode ape files to mp3 with the Monkey Audio 4.01 beta2 installed. After installing 5.3 the transcoder stopped working altogether so I uninstalled - then installed 5.31 downloaded the current transcoder and it works great with flac but now I get a error on the ape files that says Input plugin doesn't support transcoding. It worked with 5.24 although my version of the transcoder may not of been current then.

Anyone else having this problem? Anyone know what I can do to fix it?
Lantec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 10:05   #136
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabes Dad
What would be a nice option for transcoding is to apply the specified gain (album or track) such it scales the output files. That way the portable player wouldn't need to support replaygain.
So true. I suggested a while back that when transferring to a portable that didn't explicitly support replaygain (or whatever apple want to call their implementation) the file is normalised as part of transcoding or, in the case of mp3, mp3gained.

It seems that its quite a lot of work though.

My concern is that people will be listening to music with winamp, it will be normalised, then, on transfer to their portable, the audio will be all over the place without their knowledge as to why.

Old 31st October 2006, 17:25   #137
Gabes Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigF
So true. I suggested a while back that when transferring to a portable that didn't explicitly support replaygain (or whatever apple want to call their implementation) the file is normalised as part of transcoding or, in the case of mp3, mp3gained.

It seems that its quite a lot of work though.

My concern is that people will be listening to music with winamp, it will be normalised, then, on transfer to their portable, the audio will be all over the place without their knowledge as to why.
I was just thinking of scaling, not necessarily changing the mp3 header. I know that the LAME command line version can do this pretty readily. Isn't Winsmp's mp3 encoder using the lame.dll?
Gabes Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2006, 16:53   #138
TobyG

Is there any possibility of the Transcoder character substitution convention being changed (or possibly user-specified) to match CD Ripping? The Transcoder appears to substitute underscores for all illegal characters, whereas the Ripper substitutes hyphens (or apostrophes for quotation marks). Not a huge deal, but it would make copying m3u playlists much simpler.
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2006, 04:40   #139
Deleted 046

transcoder failure

I am getting a "Decoder doesn't support new 2.92 methods" failure when I attepmt to convert vgz files to mp3. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 16th November 2006, 09:05   #140
will

Tell the vgz plugin developer. He needs to update his input plugin to support transcoding.

Old 16th November 2006, 09:51   #141
DrO

mightn't that be tricky if the transcode api hasn't been published (unless someone's silently released the specs since i've not seen it...)

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2006, 12:51   #142
will

Good point. If anyone wants the api, post here!

Old 16th November 2006, 13:57   #143
DrO

here

(well you did say post 'here' )

-daz
Old 16th November 2006, 15:29   #144
will

I just remembered that in_flac is LGPL and supports transcoding.

So, here is how it implements the transcoding api: http://stashbox.org/6452/extendedread.c (note: this may not be the exact code in the current plug-in, it's just what I have floating around on my computer. Nonetheless, it is still an excellent example of how to implement the transcoding API. And it is under the LGPL. Woot!

And here is my documentation of the API.
code:
__declspec( dllexport ) intptr_t winampGetExtendedRead_open(const char *fn, int *size, int *bps, int *nch, int *srate)

Open the file and prepare to decode.
parametes:
const char *fn - the file to decode
int *size - set *size to the total number of bytes that this file will decode to. You can set this to -1 if you don't know, but some things won't work. (like percentage estimates in the transcoder)
int *bps - set this to the number of bits per sample in the output
int *nch - set this to the number of channels in the output
int *srate - set this to the sample rate (i.e, 44100)

Note: try and use the values already in bps, nch and srate.

return value: a handle which will be passed back you in calls to getData and close. Return 0 on any error (such as the file not existing).

code:
__declspec( dllexport ) intptr_t winampGetExtendedRead_getData(intptr_t handle, char *dest, int len, int *killswitch)

Decode some of the file. This will be called multiple times until either the whole file is decoded or the decoding is cancelled.
parameters:
intptr_t handle: the handle you returned on winampGetExtendedRead_open
char *dest: a buffer to write the decoded file to
int len: the size of the buffer dest
int *killswitch: check this periodically. If it is not zero, return as soon as possible, the decoding has been cancelled.

return value: the number of bytes in dest. If this is zero, then winamp will assume that whole file is decoded.

code:
__declspec( dllexport ) int winampGetExtendedRead_setTime(intptr_t handle, int millisecs)

Seek in the file.
parameters:
intptr_t handle: the handle you returned from the call to winampGetExtendedRead_open
int millisecs: the number of milliseconds into the file (measured starting from the beginning of the file) that you should seek to.
return value: nonzero on success, zero on failure.

note: this is optional, and isn't used by anything in the wild at the moment. But it will be soon.
Your seeking doesn't have to be totally accurate.

code:
__declspec( dllexport ) void winampGetExtendedRead_close(intptr_t handle)

close the file and free all resources associated with it.
parameters:
intptr_t handle: the handle you returned from the call to winampGetExtendedRead_open
no return value.

Notes:
If you're coding in C++, remember to wrap these function definitions in extern "C" { ... };, so they are exported properly.

If you implement this API then it will be used by the CD burner (as opposed to your implementation of in2.h)

Happy?

Old 16th November 2006, 21:12   #145
Deleted 046

.vgz's aren't the only files doing this for me, but that's besides the point. Basically what you're telling me there is not much to be done right now, that and I am barely html literate nevermind c++ so that last response was really foreign-like to me.
Old 16th November 2006, 21:37   #146
DrO

basically input plugins have to be updated for them to be able to work correctly with the transcode ferature is what's being said. and knowing what the guy who's coded the vgz plugin, i'm sure you'll probably see the transcode support appear at some stage (probably sooner than other formats )

-daz
Old 16th November 2006, 21:44   #147
Deleted 046

thanks for dummying it down for me.
Old 5th July 2007, 21:15   #148
lexgamer

transcoder

so this forum starts with how great the transcoder is but when i use it it starts to go but then says that the "decoder is not found" i just want my vgz to be mp3 is that so much to ask?

if anyone ahs an answer please e-mail me at

alexbzander@comcast.net
lexgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 21:28   #149
DrO

you'd need an updated in_vgm (transcoding _only_ works if the input plugin for that format supports it). i believe the current dev type build here should work with the transcoder

-daz
Old 13th May 2012, 21:23   #150
rishabh singh

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
The Winamp transcoder is a plugin for winamp which adds a "Transcode" option to the right click-send to menu in the playlist and media library.

Clicking this will convert all selected songs from whatever format they are currently in to the format specified in the Configuration.

To access the Configuration for this plugin, go to the winamp preferences then to "Media Library" under "Plugins". Click "Transcoder" then "Configure".

The settings for the encoding are separate from your CD rip settings.

Homepage

Also, it has an API so it can work for other plugins. For example ml_ipod 1.30 and above use it to transcode files incompatable with the ipod.
what is the new version of your transcoding plugin and where can I find it?
I installed 2a or 3.0 whatever on winamp 5.623 and for some reason the transcoding plugin which was already present also got deleted.
I cannot transfer some songs to my ipod which is why I thought of changing their format.
What should I do now? help plz....
rishabh singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 21:31   #151
DrO

you should not be using this version of the Transcoder since it became part of the Winamp installer in late 2007 and installing it will have downgraded the version shipped with Winamp 5.623 - as such you'd need to run the Winamp installer again to get back the correct version.

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion